Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 12:25   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Sail UVA comes home - Initial ownership report EDIT: Sold!

Congrats on the Sail Hatch. How is the turbo lag compared to the Punto if you can eloborate.

Nice pictures there. Wondering how the barren place will look like in monsoons.

Enjoy many more happy miles sailing in you Chevy SAIL.
Old 24th January 2013, 13:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good to see an ownership report of the new UVA on TBHP. The car is a very competent package but doesn't seem to have generated lot of enthusiasm around it in the market.

Red color looks nice and with black alloys and make the car lot more younger than the design .

Your mileage numbers seems slightly low compared to what DDis delivers on maruti products. I know that Bangalore city traffic is horrible but my Figo delivers about 14kmpl and the 1.3L DDis engine should definitely give more. Maybe you should watch it after 1st and 2nd service or point out to dealership during servicing time.
Old 24th January 2013, 16:55   #18
BHPian

Congrats sreehari for your buy and the for the first ownership thread.. It indeed looks very good after those accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Your mileage numbers seems slightly low compared to what DDis delivers on maruti products. I know that Bangalore city traffic is horrible but my Figo delivers about 14kmpl and the 1.3L DDis engine should definitely give more. Maybe you should watch it after 1st and 2nd service or point out to dealership during servicing time.
The reason for this decrease FE might be because of the change in the section width of the tyre and also the Aspect ratio which depends on the height and width of the tyre. If it had been the OEM tyre, it would return the FE mentioned by ARAI. I experienced the same in my vehicle, so could count on this point.

Last edited by informmaha : 24th January 2013 at 17:20.
Old 24th January 2013, 17:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. GM cars with 5 years warranty should give good amount of confidence. Even otherwise i have not heard of GM owner complaining about the cars from old Opel days as well, its just that there are not many of them.

Lets hope Sail changes it for them.

But i was little surprised about the mileage. It is suppose to be the same engine with better performance figures than that of Swift. My friends swift diesel returns 15-16 in bangalore(19 if driven late night) and 18-20 on highways.

You have mentioned only 12-15(Assuming that you didnt drive rash as it is a new car)

I am eying the sedan version and hoping the pricing will be good.
Old 24th January 2013, 17:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
The reason for this low FE might be because of the change in the section width of the tyre and also the Aspect ratio which depends on the height and width of the vehicle. If it had been the OEM tyre, it would return the FE mentioned by ARAI. I experienced the same in my vehicle, so could count on this point.
I agree that wider tyre will affect avg to some extent but changing from 175 to 195 width will not bring down mileage from 16kmpl to 12kmpl, that is more like 25% redux. I would expect the affect to be more like in the order of 5-10%. I know people with swift and dzire getting 17+kmpl in city in Bangalore. Even though engine has a different state of tune but wouldnt be so drastically different.

I am not certain how aspect ratio will impact mileage? that's more of any impact to comfort and suspension.
Old 24th January 2013, 17:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Any new car takes some time to settle in. The low mileage can be attributed to the new engine. It is only after the new engine truly beds in can you expect good mileage. Over the next few thousand KMs you can expect the mileage to increase.
Old 24th January 2013, 18:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreehari View Post
Finally, a closer look.
Attachment 1041607
Congrats on the new ride. The Sail is something different from what it looks on paper. Its got good road presence in my opinion. And rear is not that bad either,just a little too common,simple design.

And by any chance do you travel around Mahadevpura ring road(Near EMC,Alpine Eco) ? I saw a red Sail with Black alloys opposite More mega store and opposite Jalsa.
Old 24th January 2013, 19:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the Sail Hatch. How is the turbo lag compared to the Punto if you can eloborate.

Nice pictures there. Wondering how the barren place will look like in monsoons.

Enjoy many more happy miles sailing in you Chevy SAIL.
I may not be able say much about Punto,my test drive of Punto was very short.However in Sail turbo lag is very less. IMHO Punto (90HP) would be much more fun on highways than Sail.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
Any new car takes some time to settle in. The low mileage can be attributed to the new engine. It is only after the new engine truly beds in can you expect good mileage. Over the next few thousand KMs you can expect the mileage to increase.
Keeping my fingers crossed.If I don't see an improvement after 1st service,I will probably take it up with the service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am eying the sedan version and hoping the pricing will be good.
Sedan verison of Sail looks really nice & I guess in bright Red colour it would be a great looking car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
And by any chance do you travel around Mahadevpura ring road(Near EMC,Alpine Eco) ? I saw a red Sail with Black alloys opposite More mega store and opposite Jalsa.
I am not sure of the Mahadevpura area,I have been through ORR couple of times from Banaswadi to HSR.Not sure wether i have passed this place that you are talking about.
Old 25th January 2013, 10:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to ask, Is that wooden finish standard fitment ? I dont remember seeing it in the other reviews and the test drive car.

My Typical observation with this faux wood is that, it is some sort of laminate and would fade and loose its looks quickly(unless you drive mostly with windows closed). But i must say it compliments the dash well.

Looking forward to sporty looking seat covers to match the sporty color of the car.
Old 25th January 2013, 10:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to ask, Is that wooden finish standard fitment ? I dont remember seeing it in the other reviews and the test drive car.
No.Its not a standard fitment.

Quote:
My Typical observation with this faux wood is that, it is some sort of laminate and would fade and loose its looks quickly(unless you drive mostly with windows closed). But i must say it compliments the dash well.
Ya, It does look good on the dash. I drive mostly with my windows rolled up, so this one should remain there for some time.

Quote:
Looking forward to sporty looking seat covers to match the sporty color of the car.
Tomorrow I am heading to Imperial Inc on Banerghatta Road. If every thing goes fine I will get my seat covers installed by Monday.
Old 25th January 2013, 16:02   #26

shreehari, Congratulations for buying the Sail!

I see you have done a lot of small yet significant mods to your car. To make it a little more sportier, I would suggest getting a rear spoiler and using the carbon vinyl film on the bottom half of the rear bumper. See Ford Figo's rear bumper, see how the bottom half is blackened - this would look nice on this big hatch. Its just a suggestion, looks are a very subjective topic.

Have a nice time in your new car!
Old 25th January 2013, 17:53   #27
BHPian

Hey shreehari, from petrol "sailor" to diesel "sailor, congratulations, mate!!

Please clear my doubt, projector lamps from GM, or projector lamps from GM dealer?
As far as I know, projectors are not offered even as options, they are not present in accessory list provided by my GM dealer.

On the other hand, if you really fancy, start-stop button is a optional accessory.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Sail UVA comes home - Initial ownership report EDIT: Sold!-sail_uva_brochure__i.jpg  

Chevrolet Sail UVA comes home - Initial ownership report EDIT: Sold!-sail_uva_brochure__ii.jpg  

indianvirus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 19:58   #28
BHPian

Congratulations on your latest possession! That is one gorgeous car you've got there! Though I wouldn't be too harsh on the way her rear looks, I couldn't agree with you more that it certainly isn't the best looking rear in the competition. Chevy could have done more on this.
Old 25th January 2013, 20:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
He had a Diesel Hyundai Getz. A Hyundai Getz CRDi to be precise.
Old 25th January 2013, 21:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post

Please clear my doubt, projector lamps from GM, or projector lamps from GM dealer?
As far as I know, projectors are not offered even as options, they are not present in accessory list provided by my GM dealer.

On the other hand, if you really fancy, start-stop button is a optional accessory.
Projectors are not offered as an option but what the dealers told me is that the projectors available for Beat can be used on Sail as well.

Most Viewed