Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 16:32   #91
BHPian

re: Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up

The grand master is complaining. Quite understandably. Who wouldn't be complaining, when the man spends a whole day with the car, leaving the crying kid and angry mom inside. Also she doesn't like the pose of me cleaning the car. I lean over the car, looking for the minutest imperfections, trying to wipe it off. I look more like a dentist peaking in to a patients mouth. My friends though have a different opinion. 'Dude, from a distance, it appears as if you making out with your car.........but when we come close, we can actually see you are making out with your car' - is what I get. This infuriates the grand master even more.

This Sunday, the fury knew no bounds, as a passerby stopped, peaked and admiring asked what cleaner I'm using and I showed him the full arsenal, arsenal worth a good 30K and still counting. He appeared quite dejected as he was expecting to see a one stop cleaner. Much like the ones they sell in petrol bunks. He was looking at this.

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-fullview.jpg

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-mirrorview.jpg

My regular cleaning routine starts with Sita's heels a.k.a alloys. I shall take this opportunity to review some of the products that I have used for the last 4 months. I clean my car daily and put Sita under the shower every week and so most of the products have been used quite extensively.

Step 1
A strong autofresh APC mix is all is needed to remove most of the brake dust. The fender wheel brush and the Daytona Speed Master Jr. Wheel Brush is all I use. Ofcourse the lug nuts are the areas where my tooth brush and my fingers don't reach. Have to get a good brush soon.

First I agitate the wheels with the mothers brush. Move on to the other wheel. And then come back to the first wheel and then use the Daytona brush to clean the innards. Two wheels at a time. A final wipe with any available cloth.

Time Consumed : 30 mins

Tools used
  1. Autofresh APC
  2. Mothers Fender Brush
  3. Daytona Wheel Brush
  4. Previous water from mother earth

Review of Autofresh All Purpose Cleaner - 5L

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-apc.jpg

I wanted to buy Meg's APC, but ended up buying this one by mistake. Turned out, my mistake was not too bad or costly. I use this APC quite exhaustively. This is a true APC btw. Used for automotive cleaning, kitchen cleaning, bathroom floor cleaning. The only thing that's it's not used for is cleaning the teeth of that old lady chewing tobacco. On the car, I use it only on the alloys. I haven't used this as yet in the engine bay though. It's quite clean out there, even after 4 months of use.

+ve
Good Cleaning ability, based on dillution.

-ve
Haven't truly tested this one as it's just a APC. No negatives so far.

Verdict
A

Where I bought - www.autofresh.in
Cost - 1570

Review of Daytona Speed Master Jr. Wheel Brush

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-daytona-wheel-brush.jpg
Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-daytona-wheel-bursh2.jpg

This is a great product to clean the nook and cranny of the allow wheels, without puncturing your fingers or damaging the alloys. The bristles are just hard enough to remove grime and the handle is made of soft plastic. It also bends to some extent, if you had to squeeze this between the brakes and the alloys. The round shield like rubber on the handle, protects your hands in time. Be mindful of the spray when you take the brush out of the crevasses. There's a good chance that some APC ends up in your eyes.

+ve
The construction, quality, toughness almost everything.

-ve
The XUV alloys are quite big and wish the brush was a little longer. However bear in mind that this is specific for my wheels. For smaller cars the brush is just perfect.

Verdict
A+

Where I bought - www.bringingbest.in
Cost - 1297

Review of Mothers Fender Well Brush

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-fenderbrush.jpg
Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-fenderwheelbrush.jpg

Boy this is one fantastic product. If I were to name a star in my arsenal. This is one product. I don't just over use it, I abuse it to the max. I use it for the wheels, for the wheel wells, for interior carpet cleaning, under body scrub, tyre scrubbing. That's a hand full isn't it. This brush takes it all in it's stride. The bristles haven't gone bad and they do the job perfectly fine even after almost daily use.

+ve
Everything.

-ve
Nothing.

Verdict
A++

Cost - 796

My tyres and wheel wells are usually clean and I don't use any special thing to clean them and so that brings an end to the first step of the cleaning process.

Step 2
Now with the wheels behind, quite literally, it's time for the body wash. The beauty first gets a cold shower with just plain water, to loosen any dirt. A key step in this process is not to cover the whole car. This thing is pretty big, big enough for water to dry out, by the time you turn to the other side. One side at a time and then Meg's NXT car shampoo with the wash mitt. Then dry it using Meg's water magnet. Next is some final wiping with the Kent MF. I start with the roof, then on to the front windshield, then the bonnet and to each side. One panel at a time. The front grill and the under body comes last.

Time Consumed : 60 - 90 mins

Tools Used
  1. Meg's NXT Car Wash
  2. Auto Craft Wash Mitt
  3. Kent Q6600 Microfibre Towel
  4. Meguiars X2000 Water Magnet Drying Towel

Review of Meguiar's NXT Generation Car Wash

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-nxt.jpg

This is the only car wash I have been using and so I really can't comment on it's efficacy or it's shortcomings. Let me try with other car shampoos and then provide my detailed review.

+ve
Need more tries with other tools

-ve

Verdict

Cost - 480

Review of Auto Craft Wash Mitt

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-washmitt.jpg

This is another product that's a star in my arsenal. The wash mitt has two sides, one is the noodle side and the other is the bandage side (that's how I call it). I use the noodle side for the first dripping wash. This is to power as much liquid on the surface and let the dirt wash away. I usually do one panel at a time, to reduce the effect of nxt drying. Next for stubborn dirt, I use the bandage side. This side is quite effective in removing even the toughest stains. Tar on the bonnet was cleaned using this side and the effect was quite impressive. Overall another fantastic product

+ve
The noodle side is soft and plush, let's you glide over your car with no swirls or damage.
The bandage side removes the toughest stains.

-ve
Threads have started coming out of the wrist band area. While this doesn't pose a immediate problem, eventually the band is bound to be lost. Wish the stitching was top notch.

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-shampoowash.jpg

Verdict
A+

Cost - 586

Review of Kent Q6600 Microfibre Towel

My KENT MF cloths are all purpose ones. I use them for the alloys, clean ones ofcourse, glass, paint, plastic, interiors, even used once on the kitchen stove. While they leave streaks on the paint and the glass, it depends on the underlying compound. If the car is polished and waxed, the MF cloth just glide over the surface, with out leaving any streaks. The best thing about these MT cloths is that it's truly all purpose and haven't got torn or damaged at all, unlike the Meg's water magnet, which sees a far less use. Cleaning them is a breeeze, I just let them in APC or the NXT bucket and then rinse the soap off. That's it.

+ve
It's still going strong even after so much abuse on practically every surface of the car.

-ve
None

Verdict
A+

Where I bought - Amazon.co.uk
Cost - 340

Review of Meguiars X2000 Water Magnet Drying Towel

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-watermagnet.jpg

At Rs.707 this thing is not exactly cheap. Being expensive I expect his to do it's job well, very well in fact. But I must say I'm disappointed with this product. It's water absorbing capabilities were great initially, but started easing after 4 months of use. These days it hardly sucks any water at all. This even after taking good care of the towel, unlike the KENT MF ones. Further the threads on the towel are starting to give away and I doubt if this thing will last any longer than 3 more months and I expect to see holes, just like my old baniyan.

+ve
Initial water absorbing capability

-ve
Expensive
Effect subsiding after prolonged use
Material giving away

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-watermagnet1.jpg
Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-waqtermagnet2.jpg

Verdict
C - Poor

Cost - 707

With the wheels and the paint area cleaned of initial dirt, it's now time for some serious muscle power.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 16:55   #92
BHPian

Step 3

Ok let's continue my detailing journey. After washing the car and drying it, it's time for some claying along with Meg's QD. The clay does a decent job of picking up dust and the QD can be easily wiped off. Care should be taken, not to let the QD dry, otherwise you end up with a white mist on your paint. Never drop the clay. If dropped, drop it for good. Don't reuse it. Kneed the clay quite often and you have a clay that can easily last for 6 months.

Review of OEM Clay

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-notoriousclay.jpg

I bought this clay from Notorious @GH and still have one more piece left. I once clayed the whole car, that was about 3 months back and then I developed six pack. After that I clay only those areas that need it. Last weekend, I clayed my bonnet and to my surprise, the clay did pick up some dirt. I didn't imagine a 4 months old car to have this much.

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-dirtyclay.jpg

I recommend this clay, much ahead of any hand wash shampoo. It cleans your hands of the minutest dirt that ordinary hand washers can't. Shame on you P&G. That's why I use my nitrile gloves during clay. This helps the clay avoid picking up dirt from my hand, which could be mistaken for dirt from the paint surface.

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-nitrilgloves.jpg

Now, I know this clay is not a aggressive clay, but I sometimes do need a aggressive one, with a little more bite, to remove that tar spot, or the tree sap that's quite stubborn. My wash mitt comes off handy, but then I expect the clay to do the job. I would have to use the aggressive clay cautiously, as this could damage the paint.

+ve
Not very expensive one.

-ve
Can't think of any.

Verdict
B

Where I bought - From Notorious @GH
Cost - 590

Review of Meguiar’s Quick Detailer

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-qd.jpg

QD is a good lubricant for the clay, but is it really needed ? I don't think so. I have used water to the same extent and didn't find any difference. Ofcourse the water has to be soft, not a hard one, otherwise it would lead to unwanted dried marks.

+ve
I knew only of this.

-ve
Do we really have to spend on a lubricant ?

Verdict
B

Cost - 300

Review of Grey Nitrile Gloves for Garden & Soil Works

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-dsc09940.jpg

I just borrowed a gardening tool for the automotive detailing and it's just great. At 150 for a pair, it's a good deal. They fit my hand perfectly and does the job perfectly fine, and that of helping me kneed the clay, without the clay cleansing my hands.

+ve
Value for money. Does what it is intend to do.

-ve
Nothing atall

Verdict
A

Where I bought - ebay.in
Cost - 150

And so the process of claying comes to an end. Now the car is prime for a detailed polishing and waxing.

Step 4

Reader Discretion Required. You are getting to a stage where there's no turning back. Up untill now you would only be a outlaw, if you follow these steps, you are a branded car molester. Polishing the car and waxing it are two steps that only the OCD would indulge in, for it involves a lot of oohs and aahs and a lot of rubbing and a lot of heat generated. Btw I'm only using my hands no machine is used. By this time, the car is washed, dried and clayed and is as neat as it could get. We could stop at this. No we don't. We go a step further in polishing the car and then topping it up with a wax.

I used and continue to use Meg's UP and applicator pads. I use very little of QD and so I think I can polish a A380 and would still have something to polish the Seawise Giant.

Before polishing the car, I usually go in to a hibernation to store up fat and vital energy. This process is truly, utterly excruciating, painful and truly blissful at the end, if you do it right. I always do a small panel at a time, coz I have to catch some breath. It would either be a miracle or I would have dropped dead if I finished a mammoth car like the XUV in one go and so my polishing is usually restricted to one or a max two panels a day. I must say it's a great way to work out.

Review of Meguiar`s Ultimate Polish

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-megsup.jpg

This is again a fantastic product and I don't have to look anywhere else. This thing once cleaned a rooster's skating marks. Nearly wiped off scratch marks from a tail end scare. I understand this has some fillers as well. How I wish I could hand this over to some of our aging stars. Overall a great product to have.

The only grouse I have is the lack of proper applicator pads. I'm using Carrand White Blue MF Pad and another no name pad and I'm not quite satisfied with it.

I test the application by my own patented procedure. . I use my Kent MF cloth to wipe off the white powder after applying UP. When the MF cloth glides over the surface, with our any surface resistant, that's when I know that the polish has been applied correctly.

I generally apply the UP when needed and do not do it regularly. So far the car has seen just 2 full application of UP in the last 4 months. I think you should use UP only if you want to remove some aberrations or to strip off an already applied sealant/coating/wax.

+ve
Fantastic Polishing capability
Has some filler as well.
The finish is sooper smooth.

-ve
The effort in applying this.

Verdict
A++

Cost - 1208

Step 5

Waxing.

Ok. Here is the last step before you attain nirvana or before you get pain, depending on how severe your OCDD is. This is the waxing process.

Review of Collinite 915 Marque D` Elegance

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-915.jpg
Apologies for the pic quality. It's crop of a bigger one.

I have been using Collinite 915 for waxing for the last 4 months. My car initially had 3 layers of coating and I think I'm now let with 0.5 layer of coating. With chennai heat beating down heavily, I suspect the wax would have not melted, but rather skipped a chemical process and evaporated directly.

While the slick look of 915 is something to die for, it's durability is something that I'm not quite satisfied with. Sita in red looks awesome in a wet red color, just after the wax. Also waxing enables me t o clean the car quite easily. Just a simple wipe would remove most stains and marks from the paint. Based on feedback from other's and kmoh I have now applied UPGP on the bonnet, after a thorough wash, claying and polishing.

Here are the pic of the panels with 4 layers of wax on it.

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-sideview3.jpg
Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-rightlowerview.jpg
Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-sidelowerview.jpg
Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-sidereflectiveview.jpg

Here are the pics of the bonnet with Ultima Paint Guard Protection on it, after the wax is stripped off. Courtesy the sun.

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-sidebonnetview.jpg

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-bonnetview.jpg

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-bonnetview1.jpg

+ve
Awesome wet looks.
Tons and tons of carnuba wax and can wax a whole ship.

-ve
Durability especially in hot weather conditions.

Verdict
A+

Cost - 2008

It's just 1 day with the UPGP on and so a review of this product will follow soon. For now I do not see a difference in looks. But shall wait and watch on the durability part.
Attached Thumbnails
Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-fullside.jpg  

Mudhalaipatti is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 16:59   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
It's just 1 day with the UPGP on and so a review of this product will follow soon. For now I do not see a difference in looks. But shall wait and watch on the durability part.
Is this cleaning or what? Dont think my car would have seen this much cleaning in its 4 years of existence!! And this level of detailing for the mammoth!!! My only expression -->
Old 24th June 2013, 17:02   #94
BHPian

That brings us to the close of the major detailing products that I have used so far in my 4 months. Now for the small but significant items that I have put to use.

Review of Jopasu Car Duster

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-dsc09754.jpgSita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-dsc09755.jpg

Every morning, to get rid of the fine dust, Jopasu duster is used and this thing does its job perfectly fine. Sure it get's dirty pretty soon and loose it's ability to pick up dust like a magnet over a period of time. But then at 299, if it works for 3 months, it's paisa vasool.

+ve
Ability to pick up fine dust.
Handle/construction, ideal to reach almost all part of the car body.

-ve
Looses steam quite soon.
There are tons and tons of praises for this bat and I'm going to be no different.

Verdict
A

Where I bought - Snapdeal.com
Cost - 299

Glass Cleaners
This is where I have four different products and I would like to do a comparison and provide my end results. XUV has a lot of green house and it means lot of glass and a lot of dust and finger prints. I have to clean my glasses, all 6 of them daily. Yes daily. I like my glasses clean. No spec, no dust. In my quest for the perfect glass cleaner, I first encountered ArmorAll. I have provided my review elsewhere in this same thread and let me repeat that.

Review of Armor All - Auto Glass Cleaner Trigger - 650ml

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-armorall.jpg

This is a good supplement for water. I bought two bottles and one is empty and the other half empty. The best part of this thing is the empty bottle now. I can now use it to spray something that's worthy.

+ve
Nothing

-ve
No cleaning property
Leaves streaks
Have to use a news paper to wipe off excess.

Verdict
C- - Very Poor

Where I bought - Snapdeal.com
Cost - 400 (BOGO)

Review of Ceriglass Kit

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-ceriglasskit1.jpg

My biggest nemesis were the dried water marks on all my glasses. I had tried ArmorAll, APC, Meg NXT, but nothing couldn't bring my glass to it's original shape. I had also used PROKLEAR, that too didn't help and then kmoh advised me to use CERIGLASS and that's when I put this to test immediately.

The CERIGLASS kit comes with the liquid, two applicator pads (!) and a glass cleaning towel. The best things are the applicator pads or blocks. They are easy to hold and can handle pressure. Very important if you have tough stains on your glass, like mine.

However what I don't like it's drying property. The liquid dries up very quickly and turns to minute dust like particles and hops on to the glass surface. While polishing it, did infact remove the dried water marks, the dried CERIGLASS liquid laid a layer of dust on the glass. I had to use the MF cloth to dust off the dried particles. Next time I shall use the Jopasu duster to lift this dust up.

CERIGLASS was tested thoroughly last weekend when I poured a well water on one of the glasses and left it to dry, forming water marks. Applied CERIGLASS, quite heavy pressure though on the glass and one by one the water marks disappeared. This thing can't be used a daily cleaner though, as you can imagine. But very effective to polish the glass.

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-ceriglasskit2.jpg

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-glassview.jpg

+ve
Superb Cleaning and Polishing Capability

-ve
Dried left overs marring appearance.

Verdict
A+

Where I bought - ultimatedetailerz.webs.com
Cost - 1175

Meguiars D120 Glass Cleaner Concentrate

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-3m1.jpgSita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-3m2.jpg

While CERIGLASS was a great product in cleansing and polishing the glass, I couldn't use it on a daily basis and so my hunt for the daily use glass cleaner started and that's when we had this offer from Balajis Chennai. I have been using this for over a week now and I must say apart from anything else, the smell is intoxicating and lightens up the whole area. Wish the smell stayed longer on the glass.

I'm told that the Balaji guys charged for the sticker on the bottle as well and the spray head came separately. Opportunistic b*** I say.

I still have a lot of concentrate left and I must say I am in for a long stay with Meg's glass cleaner. Amazingly the liquid doesn't leave any streaks, even with my regular MF cloths. This does clean nicely and is unlike the ArmorAll one.

+ve
Great for a daily usage.
Not very expensive

-ve
None that I could think of now.

Verdict
A

Where I bought - Balajis @ Chennai
Cost - 338

More to follow....
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 18:16   #95
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely fantastic and detailed reviews! Your love and patience for the car is clearly visible. Keep up the great effort!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 20:27   #96
BHPian

Absolutely blown away by your dedication towards the car's maintenance. Spending 30k on the cleaning equipment alone is no joke. The only equipment which I use personally is the Jopasu cleaning set. Will definitely read the whole post again to see the best practices you follow.
amitdan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 18:42   #97
BHPian

Superb!! Best part is your car reflects the care that you bestow on it. I am sure when Grand Master sees her reflection off the car, she too will be quite happy haha
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:57   #98
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mudhalaipatti,

What a passion, cool stuff. Amazingly detailed car! The review is good as well your writing skills. Thank you.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 09:27   #99
BHPian

Review of Ultima Paint Guard Plus & Applicator Bundle Paint Protectant

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-upgp-out-open.jpg

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-upgp-packagae.jpg

I have used Meg's Ulmate Polish and Collinite 915 to get the looks, she's got. She's gorgeous isn't she. While I can no complaints any of the above two, I'm always on the look out to try different stuff. And that's when I heard about UPGP. While old timers were flexing muscles to get the shine, the UPGP guys were talking about wipe on, walk away. That's not quite like it or is it. How can a product give shine and protection with out the high pressure application. I was skeptical. Quite skeptical.

Applied UPGP on my right side door panels last week and observed the results. Here is the outcome.

The left door panels, which were unprotected accumulated a lot of road grime, tar, tree sap. However the right door panels, that had UPGP/WAX, had no such crap. It was relatively free of garbage. And so UPGP does offer a similar level of protection as that of a WAX. But the durability over wax is something that has to be observed for a few more weeks.

The most interesting part if the application itself. It's unlike claying or polishing or waxing, this is plain touch up. The applicator bundle is quite huge and easy to hold in your hands. Also one small spray is just enough for a whole door. I'm guessing, this bottle will last another 1 year or more.

This is definitely for the lazy bumps. So simple in it's application.

I would have liked the package to be in a nice firm jar, unlike the flimsy one that it has now.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 13:35   #100
BHPian

Got this from M&M. This is the first offer I got so far. Registered today. Let's see if I can use these miles somehow.

Name:  Jet1.png
Views: 2260
Size:  42.4 KB Name:  Jet2.png
Views: 2297
Size:  35.0 KB
Old 12th July 2013, 09:55   #101
BHPian

Update on 15000 km

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-15k-odo.jpg

Before I get in to an updated review of the car, let me talk about the thing that I have been mighty impressed with. Small, nifty feature, that works great. You know I’m not a ‘auto’ guy. My XUV is never in auto mode, for fear of something ‘automatically’ going wrong and so I keep my auto headlamp OFF, auto start (START/STOP) OFF. I don't let a yellow AUTO too close to me as well. But there’s an exception to this AUTO OFF thing and that is the auto wiper. At first I was skeptical of this thing working to my satisfaction. But I must say I’m completely satisfied by this feature. The moment you switch on the AUTO wipe on, that is a press of the left side knob wiper stack, the wipers do a full swipe. Mind you, some have complained that this almost damages the windshield on dry conditions. I think Mahindra's thought through this and this feature is power on reset, that is it switches itself off, every time you switch off the engine and it has to be activated after you start the car. It’s not ON automatically. So you make the conscious choice of using the auto wiper mode and I trust you’ll use this only when you see it’s raining. Once this thing is on, it senses the intensity of the rain and keeps adjusting the speed of the wiper blades. I have driven the vehicle in almost cloud burst situations to drizzles and it works fine. The only issue is at very high speeds, when the wiper blades are doing maniac rounds. The sound of the wiper blades is heavy, much above the thundering rains and I get a feeling that the blades are hitting something on the sides. But haven't been successful in locating or verify my gut feeling. Anyway having not to worry about adjusting the wiper speeds, I can focus on driving in the rain. Free you mind.

XUV is 5000km away from the second service and 5000km to the 3rd service and has been holding on phenomenally well. No niggling issues so far, if you consider the inadequate braking as a design feature from Mahindra to imbibe the safe driving attitude in you. Till 10K km, Sita was a Maoist and veering left. Strangely, quite strangely wheel rotation solved the problem and she stays on a straight line. However with straight line ability, comes the wobbling straight line ability. I get a feeling that the wheels are not aligned or balanced and I could sense a faint vibration wobbling when I upshift/downshift. This wobbling is felt on the gear stick and on the steering wheel if I go beyond 100kmpl. I’m advised to do wheel balancing and wheel alignment outside the SS. I have booked an appointment at MRF tyredrome, Cathedral road on Saturday to fix this. Let’s see if WA and WB fixes the wobbling issue.

I don’t seem to get the art of activating hill hold now. I have tried a number of maneuvers now, including tips from users and don’t seem to get it activated at all. How do I check if this is working or not ?

Quite interestingly no headlamps have gone bust. No replacement of any part so far. It’s all stock. Yeah I can’t believe myself.

On FE, I’m getting an average of around 13kmpl, with around 70 km of drive every day. If on highways the FE shoots up to well above 17kmpl. That is if I drive under 110kmph.

All plastic parts are intact, except this one.

Sita, Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 joins our Family. EDIT: 1 Year & 35,000 kms up-wornout-rubber.jpg

Shoddy piece of rubber. As I understand this is not just on XUV, but seen on Hyundai’s as well. Sourcing from the same source, guys ?

No rattles from anywhere else. But, but. One thing. This is quite interesting. Ok, here is what I hear and this is quite unique. The car is almost silent from the inside and no creeks or cracking sound. However if a passenger sits on the passenger side seat, there's this creeeeek.........creeeek....creeeeeeek sound. This sound was something that was driving me nuts. Couldn't figure out the source at all. The sound comes even when the vehicle is stationary, even when it's switched off. That was insane. Challenging times brings challenging techniques. Started with the elimination method. Does this sound come when there are no passenger - NO. So this is something to do with the seat. Now does this sound come in all cases - YES, even when stationary. I have asked my passengers to be rock steady. The sound doesn't stop. The solution came when I asked them not to breathe. Yeah I put by passengers on a suicide path. When the passengers held their breath, there was no sound. Uh ! That was strange. And finally figured out that the seat belt, usually over our hip/tummy expands and contracts during our breathing and the small, very small breathing expansion is causing the creek..creek sound from the seat belt holder. This is a very faint sound though. Audible only to BHPians and ultrasonic sensors. Uff ! One problem less.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 12th July 2013 at 10:20.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 10:41   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update on 15000 km

Attachment 1109452

When the passengers held their breath, there was no sound. Uh ! That was strange. And finally figured out that the seat belt, usually over our hip/tummy expands and contracts during our breathing and the small, very small breathing expansion is causing the creek..creek sound from the seat belt holder. This is a very faint sound though. Audible only to BHPians and ultrasonic sensors. Uff ! One problem less.
If your Family & Friends heard this audition, No Body is dare to accompany you in the Front Seat
I enjoy reading your all posts and Hope, XUV5OO servers you better as your desire.
Enjoy and Drive Safe
Old 13th July 2013, 17:44   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Once this thing is on, it senses the intensity of the rain and keeps adjusting the speed of the wiper blades. I have driven the vehicle in almost cloud burst situations to drizzles and it works fine. The only issue is at very high speeds, when the wiper blades are doing maniac rounds. The sound of the wiper blades is heavy, much above the thundering rains and I get a feeling that the blades are hitting something on the sides. But haven't been successful in locating or verify my gut feeling. Anyway having not to worry about adjusting the wiper speeds, I can focus on driving in the rain. Free you mind.
I fully agree with you. I constantly use the Auto Wiper and it works beautifully.
Old 13th August 2013, 18:02   #104
BHPian

Quote:
That brings us to the close of the major detailing products that I have used so far in my 4 months. Now for the small but significant items that I have put to use.
Great results mate. Nice to see your efforts have been paid off. Looks like only tire and engine bay have been left out.

If you don't mind, can you list out only must to have items for detailing?
Old 26th August 2013, 14:11   #105
BHPian

I have gotten used to these kindaa statements "Yo man, are you having sex with the Cheetah". "Don't get so close". "Stop smooching the car, you moron", whenever I'm detailing my car.
This weekend, I spent two full mornings, 10 hours to be precipice, with the XUV, getting it back in shape. And guess what the Grand Master had to say.
"I'm suspecting a mini XUV in our garage soon, with this level of intimacy".
*Sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Great results mate. Nice to see your efforts have been paid off. Looks like only tire and engine bay have been left out.

If you don't mind, can you list out only must to have items for detailing?
There's only one rule - "No Rules". There's no such thing as must haves. Pick and try the ones you are comfortable with and then expand your arsenal. If you really should have a must-have-list, it would car wash, fender brush, clay and Coll 915, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 26th August 2013 at 14:14.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks