Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2013, 17:16   #1
BHPian

My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)

@ ~ 1300 kms on the Odometer in 6 weeks. Limited to office-to-home usage & a little 'ring-road' highway use.

• The TDI Engine - A fine balance between Power and Fuel Efficiency.
    • Wonderful Fuel Efficiency for a Sedan.
    • Sufficient Power for enthusiastic driving.
    • Supports laid back driving at just above 1000 RPM. (No dip in Fuel Efficiency)
  • Excellent Highway Manners (Good and Bad roads).
  • Loaded with the right Features. (Elaborated later in my review)
  • Engaging gears gives a precise and definite experience, inspiring confidence on the underpinnings.
  • All features are integrated tightly to the vehicle. Nothing looks like a patch job, in-spite of the numerous upgrades.

Dislikes :-
  • Low speed behavior over speed humps/road imperfections & the 'thud' effect.
  • Headlights are poor for highways. (Need to see what I can do without risking warranty)
  • Under-thigh Support could have been better.
  • Poor Rear Visibility (or I need to get accustomed)
  • The most 'refreshed' model. (The next version is already out before my ownership thread)
  • Personally the steering could have been better.
  • Could have had the 'trapezoidal' VW Passat type foglamps.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3351.jpg

About Me :- So that you know why I could not buy a real BMW.
  • Non-Regular IT Joe (not a good coder, just business analysis), with a few entrepreneurship interests (family/otherwise).
  • Reside in Hyderabad currently. Otherwise, have been across half the reachable world talking to every type of client.

My earlier car :-
  • A faithful companion for almost 10 yrs. Oceana Blue Tata Indica V2 DLS, Feb 2003 (Sold Jan'13 - after the Vento came home)
  • Most trust worthy when in need. Can limp back home without stranding oneself in a remote location (if you know what I mean).
  • Would rate it as the best Naturally Aspirated Diesel I have seen. (Survived Coorg & 10 days of its surrounding SUV'ish terrain)
  • My only issue was with the Air Conditioning. Sometimes had to switch off the AC before an overtaking maneuver.

Why I 'needed' a New Car :- (read - How I convinced the home/fund minister)
  • Boot Space.
  • Peace of mind during long runs.

What I 'wanted' in the New Car :- (condensed version - when I started my hunt 2 years ago.)
  • Good Fuel Efficiency. (at-least on highway runs. I criss-cross states often)
  • Stability/Safety at high(er) speeds. (ABS/EBD/Airbags & all the good stuff)
  • AC that does not 'load' the car performance.
  • Ground Clearance - Higher the better.
  • Electronics - Lesser the better. (Essentials - excused )
  • Should handle rough roads with ease.
  • Decent Space (a compromise since 50 % time I would be alone to/from the office)

However, the super-ceding checks & balances :- (in that order)
  • Handling/Safety
  • Within reach of my 10 L ex-showroom budget.
  • Comfort/Space/Underthigh support: Drive an Indica for 10 yrs and you will know why this figures in the list.
  • Maintenance Costs
  • Resale: Yes & No. But left this out of the equation eventually.

The Contenders :- My perception (No brickbats please, but do correct me).
Enough has been said already. So am being as crisp as I can.
  • SX4 :(0) Neither here nor there. For some reason did not go for even a test drive.
  • Linea :(1) A little costly for what is offered. Did not want to get pampered yet.
  • Fiesta :(2) Took two test drives to confirm the lack of space.
  • Sunny :(1) Would have gone for the Japanese reliability if 'anyone' had a good opinion on the braking.
  • Verna :(2) I was able to take my mind of this beauty only after personally experiencing the highway manners during 2 test drives.
  • Manza :(6) I did not yet 'Ta-Ta' the Manza yet (Close friends who own the recent Tata cars have vouched that the Quality/*** has been getting better by the day). But, hmm.. there are other better options at almost the same price.
  • Rapid :(6) Undiluted quality/power. Skoda Hyderabad allowed only shortish test drives. Could not convince them for my usual 30 min ride to get convinced.
  • Vento :(11) From what I heard - Vento had lesser highway manners though. But a test ride of the re-refresh nullified my fears. And the technical specifications of the suspension/NVH were same. Should I go for the comfort of VW *** over Skoda *** ? Why not ?
  • Ertiga :(1) Very realistic vehicle. Dealer's attitude put me away personally. Wifey/Kiddo were impressed. Somehow not good to my taste. Felt like a van driver.
  • XUV 500 :(3) Too many complaints on electronics. And the top-end 'safer(with ESP)' model is loaded with non-essential gizmos.
  • Cruze :(1) One heck of a car. Wifey took 2 mins to reject. Should have asked her to occupy the passenger seat. Big mistake. However was out of my budget anyways.
  • Laura :(2) Out of my budget today. But may be my next car. Could not help extending the test drive as much as I could.
  • Duster :(5) Yummy. Only if they had better interiors. Wifey rejected outright. The top-end (only one with dual airbags) was out of my budget. & No ESP. hmm.. When the 4x4 comes with ESP, Will be back in contention.
The number within brackets is the number of test drives over 2 years

Originally, I wanted to pick the new car after the new addition to the family (We are expecting our second child in the last week of Feb). Besides my beloved Tata Indica would have completed a decade with me. Sense prevailed and I realized how busy I would get later. And, an almost 10 yr old car doing the duty - Not reliable enough.

Finally, it boiled down to the Rapid, the Vento or the Ertiga. I would have been happy with any of them.
Eliminated Ertiga after having a final chat with the Sales guy on my wife's insistence. Even my wife was irritated with the wait times.

Eventually :- The VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL was chosen, with the following cementing the decision against the Rapid.
  • There were two VW Dealers (with service centers) as against the lone Skoda Dealer in Hyderabad.
  • My company's corporate lease does not allow dealer insurance (which meant no extended warranty with Skoda). Cannot get lamer than this Eh ?
  • Wife was really impressed with the interior quality. VW got this easy, since we are graduating from the Indica.

Compromises made :- (with respect to my list above)
  • Electronics : The Vento has a little more electronics that I would have expected. But in the last month, I was able to realize the importance of them. A willing compromise.
  • Under-thigh support : Knew beforehand that the under-thigh is not as good as elsewhere. But since the only hefty guy(me) would be driving, the family is more than happy with the backseat ergonomics. If you put me in the backseat, the story is going to change.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3330.jpg

Booking & Delivery Experience :-
  • Pre-Sales : Simply Excellent. The Sales Advisor (Mr Purna Chandra - VW Hyd) had supreme patience with me and very customer centric. I was stalking him from the day the Vento was introduced (way back in 2011). Through every refresh, he supported my queries for test drives, details of the upgrade, etc. On the record, I took 11 test drives of the Vento(over 2 yrs).
  • Booking : Was a little messy, since it was a Corporate Lease.
  • PDI : Could not have been smoother. Of course, I did my research & was ready. TBHP Checklist in hand, I marched into the yard undeclared, on a holiday. Did a PDI when the car (before the allotment). Thanks to VW Hyd who facilitated this special request from me.
  • Car Delivery : Butter Smooth. After a few calls got a guarantee that the car would be ready at my expected time. I went to the showroom on the afternoon of 26-Dec-2013 armed with the initial-pooja items. Took the car home & in the evening performed full-pooja with family.

Final Financials :- Quote Particulars
  • Ex-Showroom : Rs 9,99,072
  • Less: Discount : Rs 27,000 (am not good at bargaining I guess)
  • Special Ex-Showroom : Rs 9,72,072
  • Incidental Charges : Rs 14,950 - I know. Please do not boo me. Did not have the patience to argue beyond a point.
  • Extended Warranty : Rs 11,634
  • Freebies : Bluetooth enabled Garmin Nuvi GPS 2565LM with Reverse Camera(wireless)

The SA presented me a lovely VW Key Chain !
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3524_mod.jpg

A picture from Delivery Day :
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-28122012391.jpg

Extras Added :-
  • 3D Kagu Floor Mats. Not that happy with the fit. Maybe I did not do it right.
  • Fabric finish Seat Covers (Elegant Brand) - over the leatherette seats since leather smell unsettles wifey.

Key Observations :

The TDI Engine :-
  • The engine offers a fine balance between Power and Fuel Efficiency that makes the drive pleasurable at low/high speeds.
  • The fuel efficiency figures are @ 15.5 kmpl (first tank-to-tank) & 18.6 kmpl on the MID (probably am not reading this right).
  • A gentle push on the accelerator & you vroom past the slow(er) moving traffic.

The Drive, The Ride & The Steering :-
  • Had to be on top of my wits when driving enthusiastically. Need to get used to the engine behaviour. Pulls really hard.
  • Since this was my first Turbo, I did all my research to understand how to drive better.
  • So no revving hard till 1500 kms. Have been maintaining < 2250 rpm all along. Planned for a top limit of 2000 rpm, but could not resist on the highway.
  • The drive & ride on the highway is one of the best I have experienced on good & bad roads (Only The Cruze was better - atleast on good roads).
  • However the low speed behavior over speed breakers & road imperfections are far from perfect. But bearable.
  • Initially the 'thud' effect startled me (even though I knew it all along). Am now slowing appropriately & taking it nice.
  • It may be just me, but the steering is not as responsive as I would have expected. In one of my 70 kmph turns, I had to steer harder. As of now I am limiting myself to <50 kmph in turns.

Clutch, Gearshift, Braking :-
  • Absolutely no problems with the clutch pedal personally. A little vibration, but have'nt I have been warned.
  • The gearshift knob & lever are of high quality. The shift action has been giving me all the right confirmation messages & positive feedback.
  • The braking has exceeded my expectations all along. Need to be careful & factor the rear vehicles braking capacity before pushing the pedal.

Interiors :-
  • Am really disappointed with the under thigh support. After being used to the Indica's comfort, the rear seat is not a place I want to be in with 2 other passengers.
  • Other Ergonomics are cool. Even the much complained about hand brake is perfectly ergonomic to me.
  • A few nice-to-haves. a) Bottle holders on the rear doors as well. b) Glove box lock.
  • The auto-dimming lights give a nice up-market ambience inside the car.
  • Ingress/Egress might become an issue later for my parents. But as of now, no complaints.
  • At the highest tilt position, the top of my thighs occasionally touch the steering. Need to slim down I guess.
  • The Air conditioner has been good so far. The decibel levels are a tad higher when the fan is up.

Exteriors & Styling :-
  • I am not a craver of styles/curves/etc. However the exterior has been really appealing to me. Classy Sedan feeling.
  • Somehow looks considerably longer than my friend's Rapid. On a comparision, is almost the same length though.
  • Would have loved to see the the 'trapezoidal' VW Passat type foglamps on the Vento. (Yes - Like the Rapid)
  • Did not do much of highway driving, but I do not think the headlights will help me survive the lights of oncoming traffic in typical Indian highways.
  • Am not a risk taker. Will delay the upgrades as long as I can. Need to checkout the Nightbreakers. Anyone have these on their Vento's in Hyderabad ?

The OEM Music System :-
  • The Sound Quality is more than sufficient for a non-audiophile like me.
  • However, I could tweak the Output far more on my 10 yr old Pioneer system.
  • Smooth Integration to USB/CD. Continues from earlier location by default.
  • There are 3 configurable levels for sound 'dimming' which is used during reversing.
  • The reverse sensors(PDC) & indication are on for a few seconds after disengaging the reverse gear.

The Garmin GPS Unit & Reverse Camera :-
  • Am I glad, I got this unit. The wireless, bluetooth reverse camera itself is worth the trouble.
  • And the beloved Nokia E72 with voice guided maps can take a rest & do the duty outside India.
  • Am yet to figure out how to connect this to my laptop & get updates(if any) done. The unit has a cool app to keep record of the Fuel, etc.
  • If you frequent a few places, the unit recognizes and shows the expected duration to reach a milestone automatically.
  • On a lighter note, my daughter thinks she can watch movies on it. Theoretically, it has a video input. Need to figure out though.

The Remote Locking & Auto up/down functions :-
  • All 4 windows have auto-up/down functions. My daughter is now happy in the backseat as well (something to fiddle with).
  • The buttons work for a few more seconds even after the key is taken out. Nice.
  • Even if we do forget, the remote pitches in (Nice reach too). (Long press of lock button pulls up the window glasses)
  • On locking, the confirmation honk/light blinks do not come up if any of the doors(including boot)/glasses are open. Super Nice.
  • If you use the key to unlock the driver door, the honk is missing & other doors do not open automatically. Neat.

Miscellanea :-
  • When reversing
    • The Air conditioner Auto mode switches to 're-circulate'
    • The volume levels on the music system go down to a preset level.
    • The Reverse Camera feeds switches on into the GPS. (In addition to the reverse parking sensors)
  • If you are ambling along lazily
    • The vehicle has a mind of its own & pulls without throttle input if the RPM is lower than 1000. As a result it does not stall that easily.
    • The first gear is very strong. As a result have been clutch-driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Any help appreciated.
    • The 4th gear is more considerate than the 3rd gear. The gear down indicator does not come up as soon in the 4th gear vs 3rd gear.
  • If at all the car runs out of fuel, just fill up and start the engine. No need to clear airlocks like in my 2003 Indica. Or so I was told.
  • The battery is maintenance free. No touching it till it conks. Any downsides ?
  • The windshield fluid container inlet cap opens up at will. Does not stay closed. They haven't fixed this.
  • I have not yet felt the 'turbo-lag' / 'turbo-kicking-in' effects yet. Either I tend to stay in the right gears or I have not crossed 2000 rpm much. Is that why ?

This thread would not be complete without mentioning my sincere heartfelt THANKS to team-bhp.
I am indebted to the forum & various members who helped/guided me through my thought process.

Last edited by DieselDon : 8th February 2013 at 14:46.
DieselDon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 22:08   #2
BHPian

re: My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)

Time for some Pictures :-

Starting with Ganesh-Ji on the Dash
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3393.jpg

When I sneaked into the yard for the PDI. (Apologies for the noisy photo from my mobile)
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-24122012390.jpg

Not much of a overhang. Has not grazed anything yet. Touch-wood.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3342.jpg

Looks a lot shorter in this angle.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3346.jpg

Nothing major jutting out under the body.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3354.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3355.jpg

The 'extra' Rear Spoiler brings in a nice look.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3357.jpg

A close up of the rear spoiler. Color Match is a plus. But there are imperfections. & I hope they just pasted it.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3358.jpg

The leather wrapped steering wheel is nice to touch. However, notice how the upper part of my thighs are almost touching the steering. In current models, the phone button works. Sigh !
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3388.jpg

A couple of shots of the sure slotting Gear lever ! No, I did not get that from my grandpa. It is just a gun shaped lighter.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3391.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3454.jpg

The light ring around the charger. Looks real good at night. The photo does gross injustice though.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3488.jpg

The Rear View Mirror & GPS. Placed them near each other so that using the reverse camera does not become a big chore.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3392.jpg

Well designed Glove box. Yeah I miss the lock as on my Indica. The Pen Drive blinks as long as the car(not the music system) is switched on. I guess the music system never shuts 'off' because of the PDC.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3395.jpg

The Bottle/Glass Holder & AshTray setup is well thought of as well.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-cupholderashtraysetup.jpg

The Kagu 3D Mats. They feel good. Had very high hopes. Dream dismissed.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3399.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3385.jpg

& this is why. Considerable gaps around the contours. Took this snap when the seat covers were being done.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-31122012399.jpg

Updated seats (or should I call this 'down'dated. Fabric on Leatherette).
Spill proof; Fabric type touch/smell; & Matches the car's exterior colour !
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3462.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3460.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3457.jpg

Took these shots when the seats were being done. Should I be concerned ? Are the weld spots supposed to be there ?
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-31122012400.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-31122012402.jpg

The Music System in all itz glory(at night)
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3482.jpg

& the PDC volume control setup options (3 levels)
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3480.jpg

The display during reverse.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3466.jpg

The GPS during reverse.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3432.jpg

Home Page (Notice the difference between Day/Night). Also, the GPS automatically shows the duration to the nearest marked place (Just my guess).
Am I not in paradise, It takes 7 mins for me to reach office.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-homepage-general-day-night.jpg

The Phone Integration is tight. With Phone book, Dialed Numbers, etc. It shows the name of the caller as per my contact list on phone. Also notice the 'At the Fuel Station' app & a 'Fuel Economy' Monitor kind-of app. It even shows the phone battery condition.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-phone-apps-day-night.jpg

Yes that is a Cappuccino Beige Skoda Rapid of my close friend. We took delivery within 2 weeks of each other.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3349.jpg

Last edited by DieselDon : 8th February 2013 at 13:08.
DieselDon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 12:04   #3
BHPian

The 1.6 TDI twins from 'Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft' Group - pictorial comparison

Nope - I do not intend to make this another Comparison thread. Just that I had the pictures & wanted to share will all.

Trivia : The Group sells passenger cars under the Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen marques; motorcycles under the Ducati brand; and commercial vehicles under the MAN, Scania and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles marques. Link

Front View - Side by Side :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3366.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3367.jpg

Front View - Closeup :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3369.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3368.jpg

Check the Headlights :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3371.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3370.jpg

The Side Indicator Lamps :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3373.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3372.jpg

Steering :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3388.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3401.jpg

Dash :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3390.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3403.jpg

Gear Knob closeup :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3391.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3404.jpg

Rear Views :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3378.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3379.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3410.jpg

Rear Tail Lamps - Left :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3382.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3381.jpg

Rear Tail Lamps - Right :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3384.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3383.jpg

The Boot Area :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3425.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3426.jpg

Interior Lamp Console :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3408.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3407.jpg

PS: Where not mentioned the Vento's pictures are up first followed by the Rapid's

The Interior's of the Rapid would be easier to maintain with the black matting.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3411.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3409.jpg

A few more together :-
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3374.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3375.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-img_3377.jpg

Last edited by DieselDon : 8th February 2013 at 13:08.
DieselDon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 14:32   #4
BHPian

First Casualty :-
- Underside of the Front Right Bumper brushed the ground in a parking lot while backing up into the road from a gradient.
- It is a saving grace that it is not visible easily.
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-08022013423.jpg
  • My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)-08022013420.jpg
DieselDon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 19:24   #5
Team-BHP Support

Moved from Assembly Line to Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports Section, thanks for sharing.
Old 8th February 2013, 20:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

DD, Let me be the first to congratulate you on the Vento. You did change your preference quite a bit from the last conversations we had.

But, at the end a lovely choice undoubtedly

What makes your thread special is the exhaustive report. Great one.

Enjoy munching miles now
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 12:49   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Lovely review. Well-structured and extremely unbiased. Thanks for sharing! Rating review a well-deserved 5 stars.

Would choose the Vento over the Rapid on looks alone. What a classy looking sedan. Love the new headlamps, but I prefer the older Vento's wheel design.

Drive safe!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 13:25   #8
BHPian

I see the Rapid sitting slightly lower than the Vento in the above pictures. Is that the reason the Rapid feels better planted?

Congratulations on the Vento btw. Keep these comparo's coming up.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 13:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats DieselDon. I must say the VW Vento looks more polished & refined than the Skoda. Great choice of car. Skoda's after sales, rather the lack of it, makes the VW a no brainer.

If I were buying a C category sedan today the Vento would be it. I prefer it over the Honda City. Though the new Verna (and the new Elantra) looks hot I still lean towards European and Jap cars.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 13:49   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

What a nice review. The cherry is the comparo! Somehow, I am biased towards the rapid, especially since it;s in my fav color!

- Nice looking seat covers.
- I feel you have placed the GPS unit way too distant. I personally would have placed it closer to the driver, mounted on the dash than the windshield.

And it's nice to see people how they choose between the siblings based on the performances.

Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 14:19   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

A refreshing unbiased review, Of late the Vento and Rapid ownership threads are increasing, nice trend.
Rapid is the VFM version while Vento looks truly premium.
Congrats and wishig you a great ownership.

Drive Safe!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 14:44   #12
BHPian

Lovely review there DieselDon.

Loved the detailed side by side pictures of Vento and Rapid. Have seen many official/unofficial reviews and comparisons of both twins but never saw such detailed comparison pictures. Hats of to you and your attention to details. I don't think you have left anything.

Felt sorry knowing about the damage. The nose in the VW cars are too much projected hence one has to be careful while passing road humps or ramps. But on the other hand these extended nose also add into dynamics so one can't complain about them.

I don't think you have to be much worry about the damage though be careful next time time while crossing such humps and ramps.

So could you figure out what those welding spots are? I would also like to know if someone has more detail about them.

Thanks for sharing and keep updating us.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 9th February 2013 at 14:47.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 16:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice and detailed report. Nice color choice.

Those fabric seat covers look completely out of place. Please reconsider.

At about 10L Vento Tdi HL sure is VFM.

Wish you many happy miles with your VENTO !! Drive Safe !
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 23:47   #14
BHPian

Such a well compiled review and the pictures, lots of them in various angles ! Very hard to tell which looks better skoda or vento. It is totally up to the owners to decide I guess ! btw, do update on the headlights issue if and when you change them.

congrats and wish you many happy miles.
stringbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 00:01   #15
BHPian

Congratulations dieseldon. Very well written review and the rapid-vento comparo was a welcome addition. Well, vento has become more desirable since its launch with the upgrades that have been given. But, I would love to change those alloys as observed by other fellow bhpians as well. Frankly, I believe, for a person who loves driving there isn't much choice in this segment when it comes to diesel its just vento & rapid (strictly my opinion). Have many miles of trouble free ownership.
Shreyas Aterkar is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks