Team-BHP - My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   My Terra Beige VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL (Nov 2012) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/132023-my-terra-beige-vw-vento-1-6-tdi-hl-nov-2012-a.html)

@ ~ 1300 kms on the Odometer in 6 weeks. Limited to office-to-home usage & a little 'ring-road' highway use.

Dislikes :-
About Me :- So that you know why I could not buy a real BMW.
My earlier car :-
Why I 'needed' a New Car :- (read - How I convinced the home/fund minister)
What I 'wanted' in the New Car :- (condensed version - when I started my hunt 2 years ago.)
However, the super-ceding checks & balances :- (in that order)
The Contenders :- My perception (No brickbats please, but do correct me).
Enough has been said already. So am being as crisp as I can.
The number within brackets is the number of test drives over 2 years

Originally, I wanted to pick the new car after the new addition to the family (We are expecting our second child in the last week of Feb). Besides my beloved Tata Indica would have completed a decade with me. Sense prevailed and I realized how busy I would get later. And, an almost 10 yr old car doing the duty - Not reliable enough.

Finally, it boiled down to the Rapid, the Vento or the Ertiga. I would have been happy with any of them.
Eliminated Ertiga after having a final chat with the Sales guy on my wife's insistence. Even my wife was irritated with the wait times.

Eventually :- The VW Vento 1.6 TDI HL was chosen, with the following cementing the decision against the Rapid.
Compromises made :- (with respect to my list above)
Booking & Delivery Experience :-
Final Financials :- Quote Particulars
The SA presented me a lovely VW Key Chain !
A picture from Delivery Day :
Extras Added :-
Key Observations :

The TDI Engine :-
The Drive, The Ride & The Steering :-
Clutch, Gearshift, Braking :-
Interiors :-
Exteriors & Styling :-
The OEM Music System :-
The Garmin GPS Unit & Reverse Camera :-
The Remote Locking & Auto up/down functions :-
Miscellanea :-
This thread would not be complete without mentioning my sincere heartfelt THANKS to team-bhp.
I am indebted to the forum & various members who helped/guided me through my thought process.

Time for some Pictures :-

Starting with Ganesh-Ji on the Dash
When I sneaked into the yard for the PDI. (Apologies for the noisy photo from my mobile)
Not much of a overhang. Has not grazed anything yet. Touch-wood.
Looks a lot shorter in this angle.
Nothing major jutting out under the body.
The 'extra' Rear Spoiler brings in a nice look.
A close up of the rear spoiler. Color Match is a plus. But there are imperfections. & I hope they just pasted it.
The leather wrapped steering wheel is nice to touch. However, notice how the upper part of my thighs are almost touching the steering. In current models, the phone button works. Sigh !
A couple of shots of the sure slotting Gear lever ! No, I did not get that from my grandpa. It is just a gun shaped lighter.
The light ring around the charger. Looks real good at night. The photo does gross injustice though.
The Rear View Mirror & GPS. Placed them near each other so that using the reverse camera does not become a big chore.
Well designed Glove box. Yeah I miss the lock as on my Indica. The Pen Drive blinks as long as the car(not the music system) is switched on. I guess the music system never shuts 'off' because of the PDC.
The Bottle/Glass Holder & AshTray setup is well thought of as well.
The Kagu 3D Mats. They feel good. Had very high hopes. Dream dismissed.
& this is why. Considerable gaps around the contours. Took this snap when the seat covers were being done.
Updated seats (or should I call this 'down'dated. Fabric on Leatherette).
Spill proof; Fabric type touch/smell; & Matches the car's exterior colour !
Took these shots when the seats were being done. Should I be concerned ? Are the weld spots supposed to be there ?
The Music System in all itz glory(at night)
& the PDC volume control setup options (3 levels)
The display during reverse.
The GPS during reverse.
Home Page (Notice the difference between Day/Night). Also, the GPS automatically shows the duration to the nearest marked place (Just my guess).
Am I not in paradise, It takes 7 mins for me to reach office.
The Phone Integration is tight. With Phone book, Dialed Numbers, etc. It shows the name of the caller as per my contact list on phone. Also notice the 'At the Fuel Station' app & a 'Fuel Economy' Monitor kind-of app. It even shows the phone battery condition.
Yes that is a Cappuccino Beige Skoda Rapid of my close friend. We took delivery within 2 weeks of each other.

The 1.6 TDI twins from 'Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft' Group - pictorial comparison

Nope - I do not intend to make this another Comparison thread. Just that I had the pictures & wanted to share will all.

Trivia : The Group sells passenger cars under the Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen marques; motorcycles under the Ducati brand; and commercial vehicles under the MAN, Scania and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles marques. Link

Front View - Side by Side :-
Front View - Closeup :-
Check the Headlights :-
The Side Indicator Lamps :-
Steering :-
Dash :-
Gear Knob closeup :-
Rear Views :-
Rear Tail Lamps - Left :-
Rear Tail Lamps - Right :-
The Boot Area :-
Interior Lamp Console :-
PS: Where not mentioned the Vento's pictures are up first followed by the Rapid's

The Interior's of the Rapid would be easier to maintain with the black matting.
A few more together :-

First Casualty :-
- Underside of the Front Right Bumper brushed the ground in a parking lot while backing up into the road from a gradient.
- It is a saving grace that it is not visible easily.

Moved from Assembly Line to Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports Section, thanks for sharing.

DD, Let me be the first to congratulate you on the Vento. You did change your preference quite a bit from the last conversations we had.

But, at the end a lovely choice undoubtedly

What makes your thread special is the exhaustive report. Great one.

Enjoy munching miles now:thumbs up

Lovely review. Well-structured and extremely unbiased. Thanks for sharing! Rating review a well-deserved 5 stars.

Would choose the Vento over the Rapid on looks alone. What a classy looking sedan. Love the new headlamps, but I prefer the older Vento's wheel design.

Drive safe!

I see the Rapid sitting slightly lower than the Vento in the above pictures. Is that the reason the Rapid feels better planted?

Congratulations on the Vento btw. Keep these comparo's coming up.

Congrats DieselDon. I must say the VW Vento looks more polished & refined than the Skoda. Great choice of car. Skoda's after sales, rather the lack of it, makes the VW a no brainer.

If I were buying a C category sedan today the Vento would be it. I prefer it over the Honda City. Though the new Verna (and the new Elantra) looks hot I still lean towards European and Jap cars.

What a nice review. The cherry is the comparo! Somehow, I am biased towards the rapid, especially since it;s in my fav color! :D

- Nice looking seat covers.
- I feel you have placed the GPS unit way too distant. I personally would have placed it closer to the driver, mounted on the dash than the windshield.

And it's nice to see people how they choose between the siblings based on the performances.

Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring! clap:

A refreshing unbiased review, Of late the Vento and Rapid ownership threads are increasing, nice trend.
Rapid is the VFM version while Vento looks truly premium.
Congrats and wishig you a great ownership.

Drive Safe!

Lovely review there DieselDon.

Loved the detailed side by side pictures of Vento and Rapid. Have seen many official/unofficial reviews and comparisons of both twins but never saw such detailed comparison pictures. Hats of to you and your attention to details. I don't think you have left anything.

Felt sorry knowing about the damage. The nose in the VW cars are too much projected hence one has to be careful while passing road humps or ramps. But on the other hand these extended nose also add into dynamics so one can't complain about them.

I don't think you have to be much worry about the damage though be careful next time time while crossing such humps and ramps.

So could you figure out what those welding spots are? I would also like to know if someone has more detail about them.

Thanks for sharing and keep updating us. :)

Nice and detailed report. Nice color choice.

Those fabric seat covers look completely out of place. Please reconsider. :)

At about 10L Vento Tdi HL sure is VFM.

Wish you many happy miles with your VENTO !! Drive Safe !

Such a well compiled review and the pictures, lots of them in various angles ! Very hard to tell which looks better skoda or vento. It is totally up to the owners to decide I guess ! btw, do update on the headlights issue if and when you change them.

congrats and wish you many happy miles.

Congratulations dieseldon. Very well written review and the rapid-vento comparo was a welcome addition. Well, vento has become more desirable since its launch with the upgrades that have been given. But, I would love to change those alloys as observed by other fellow bhpians as well. Frankly, I believe, for a person who loves driving there isn't much choice in this segment when it comes to diesel its just vento & rapid (strictly my opinion). Have many miles of trouble free ownership.