Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2013, 11:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto C6 - Initial Owners Report

any idea about maintenance / service costs ? anybody here has done their first/second services of quanto ?

and what about the avg. mileage ?
Old 14th April 2013, 21:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
any idea about maintenance / service costs ? anybody here has done their first/second services of quanto ?

and what about the avg. mileage ?
Will update in the next two weeks. Meanwhile I had been to Tirupati and felt that the ride was very good. The engine is very torquey and I found it quite helpful while climbing the hills. The drive itself was comfortable and I was between 80 and 100 most of the time.

What was surprising is that I only got a.mileage of 16.5, and some how other Quanto owners seem to be getting better mileage. However if I purely look at its weight and power this mileage seems ok.
As a summary the city mileage is consistently 14 kmpl (25% ac) and the one highway run gave me 16.5.

Will report mileage and service experience after service next month.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 21:16   #33
BHPian

Congratulations on your quanto.

Regarding your mileage at Tirupati, I recently completed a trip to Sri Kalaasti in my A STar AT and got a mileages of 16.3 as opposed to 20-21 that I normally get for igway drives. I guess it is due to te terrain and te number of trucks on tat route.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 23:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
As a summary the city mileage is consistently 14 kmpl (25% ac) ..
So i guess if one were to run with 100% A/C on, it should give around 11 or 12 in city ? seems a bit low.. Probably this may become better after your 1st service

Last edited by haria : 14th April 2013 at 23:15.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:20   #35
jp1
BHPian

Hi deep_bang,
I am also getting only 15-16 kms/litre on highways. Mine ODO is at 4k+ and first service done a month ago. I have not gone for any highway trip after the 1st service. When MnM itself says 17kms/litre, I am not sure how it goes beyond this. In city, I get around 12-13 kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
What was surprising is that I only got a.mileage of 16.5, and some how other Quanto owners seem to be getting better mileage. However if I purely look at its weight and power this mileage seems ok.
As a summary the city mileage is consistently 14 kmpl (25% ac) and the one highway run gave me 16.5.
Old 26th April 2013, 09:04   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Hi deep_bang,
I am also getting only 15-16 kms/litre on highways. .In city, I get around 12-13 kms.
was this with AC on always ?
Old 26th April 2013, 10:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi deep_bang,
I am also getting only 15-16 kms/litre on highways. Mine ODO is at 4k+ and first service done a month ago. I have not gone for any highway trip after the 1st service. When MnM itself says 17kms/litre, I am not sure how it goes beyond this. In city, I get around 12-13 kms.
Hi JP1, a mileage of 15-16 kms/litre on highways & around 12-13 in city is a good one, especially if you consider the ARAI certified mileage is 17kms/litre & the 99 bhp engine moving the heavy mass (kerb weight) of 1640 kilos. The Innova has almost the same figures, 100 Bhp engine & a kerb weight of 1660 kilos. The mileage of Innova is even lesser (one major reason being the engine size is bigger at 2.5 litres)

I appreciate your concern about mileage, but if that was your primary objective, then you would have been better off going for a comparatively lighter vehicle (e.g Ertiga). The main USP of Quanto is the "go anywhere" attitude, high seating position, giving you a commanding view of the road, peppy engine giving good in city driveability. If you look at all these positives, you will never worry about the mileage

Last edited by AutoIndian : 26th April 2013 at 10:23.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 12:19   #38
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
was this with AC on always ?
Yes, with always a/c on on highways and mostly in the city runs. Recently I did another highway trip of around 800+ kms at a stretch including high ranges of Munnar and got a mileage of about 15-16 kms/litre with full time a/c.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:24   #39
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hi JP1, a mileage of 15-16 kms/litre on highways & around 12-13 in city is a good one, especially if you consider the ARAI certified mileage is 17kms/litre & the 99 bhp engine moving the heavy mass (kerb weight) of 1640 kilos. The Innova has almost the same figures, 100 Bhp engine & a kerb weight of 1660 kilos. The mileage of Innova is even lesser (one major reason being the engine size is bigger at 2.5 litres)

I appreciate your concern about mileage, but if that was your primary objective, then you would have been better off going for a comparatively lighter vehicle (e.g Ertiga). The main USP of Quanto is the "go anywhere" attitude, high seating position, giving you a commanding view of the road, peppy engine giving good in city driveability. If you look at all these positives, you will never worry about the mileage
No, no, I am not much concerned with the mileage, in fact I am quite happy about it. Earlier my Bolero used to give 8/9 kms in city whereas now I am getting 12/13 in city. So that is not a concern for me.

But power delivery at some critical point is a concern especially steep climbs. My recent Munnar trip I experienced it once during a steep climb (1st gear) and the engine was just not getting the power and the vehicle almost stalled. But then there were so many steep climbs and only at one place I got into this problem. It had happened to me earlier also, but happens very rarely. Not able to understand the reason.

Last edited by jp1 : 26th April 2013 at 12:26.
Old 26th April 2013, 13:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, no, I am not much concerned with the mileage, in fact I am quite happy about it. Earlier my Bolero used to give 8/9 kms in city whereas now I am getting 12/13 in city. So that is not a concern for me.
Ohh, I see. My mistake then . I thought you were bothered about the low mileage of the Quanto.

Quote:
But power delivery at some critical point is a concern especially steep climbs. My recent Munnar trip I experienced it once during a steep climb (1st gear) and the engine was just not getting the power and the vehicle almost stalled. But then there were so many steep climbs and only at one place I got into this problem. It had happened to me earlier also, but happens very rarely. Not able to understand the reason.
I think Munnar is at a very high altitude & the air there would obviously be rarified (less dense that the air at sea level or slightly above it). Now the Quanto has a twin turbo & at high altitude the engine might not be getting enough mass of air, due to thinner air. Lesser air means lesser power, hence it would be struggling with that steep climb. You can try one test. Try climbing similar ramp/incline in the plains/sea level & check if you feel similar lack of power. If not then it is definitely the thinner air that is the culprit. If that is indeed the case, then I wonder how would the Quanto perform in the Himalayas/Laddakh region where air density would be the lowest.
Old 26th May 2013, 20:06   #41
BHPian

First service is done. Nothing spectacular about the service, as the car is just around the 5000 km mark, and no major problems to fix.

A couple of points about the service though:
1. Mahindra has a free pick up and drop facility where I live (SJPur road Banglaore) and it was a really convenient thing for me. They just picked up the car and delivered it home.

2. Service bill was for 1600, and included only oil and oil filter.
The next service is at 10k.

3. The cleaning could have been better, although I have to admit that with 2 kids, and a long trip just before the service, the car was way dirtier than normal.

A few points about the car at 5k:
1. The engine has smoothened out QUITE a bit. One of the biggest botherations I had earlier was a deep vibration of the engine around 1200 rpm. This has nearly disappeared (its still there but much lesser).

2. The gear shift has improved too. It really clicks into place nicely once the engine is warm. The clutch is still a tad hard and I guess this is a "Feature" of most Mahindra SUV's.

3. There was a diesel leak when I went to fuel up - and which a bystander pointed out. Diesel was leaking out like from a tap.

On taking it to a nearby mechanic, found that there is a joint between the pipe that goes to the outside (where you put in the nozzle) and the fuel tank. This joint is tightened merely by a clamp - which was loose.
No idea if this was loose right from the start or not. So, typically the leak would happen only when the tank was full and hence may not be noticed as poor mileage.

4. The suspension does seem a little bouncy with body roll, but as I mentioned earlier, not a deal breaker. Whoever wants buy a Quanto should watch out for this during a test drive, and if they are ok with this amount of body roll, I am sure they will be satisfied by the purchase.
deep_bang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 07:57   #42

Quote:
But power delivery at some critical point is a concern especially steep climbs. My recent Munnar trip I experienced it once during a steep climb (1st gear) and the engine was just not getting the power and the vehicle almost stalled.
I too experience this several times. First time, i thought the clutch is gone! reason is still unknown.
I declutch/ half clutch the engine and raise rpm higher by accelerator. Then release the clutch pedal. thereby necessary power is obtained and vehicle doesnt stall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I think Munnar is at a very high altitude & the air there would obviously be rarified (less dense that the air at sea level or slightly above it).
Nice thought! But, seems this may not be due to air density. All the time, I encountered this problem in costal area.
Old 17th June 2013, 09:13   #43

With Quanto C6 (kms run 6500), first service done at 4600.

Issues i continue to notice:
1. Mileage shown in speedometer is 10% higher than the actual. (if i drive 100km, meter shows 110). Trip meter and mileage is in sync.
- Is there any part that needs replacement?
- Is it possible to re-caliberate the meter?
2. rattling sound in dash board. Doubts on wiper assembly since it has some issues (need to report in next service)
3. Wiper drag (no smooth movement) during heavy rains or when wiper used for long duration.
4. Brake slips when the vehicle slips in mud terrain! Continued Vibrations in brake pedal as if brake is applied and released.
vehicle speed is less than 10kmph, 1st gear, complete declutch, 35-40degree straight downhill slippery mud road during rains.
- Could this be due to ABS?
Driver_Bee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 13:21   #44
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_Bee View Post
With Quanto C6 (kms run 6500), first service done at 4600.

4. Brake slips when the vehicle slips in mud terrain! Continued Vibrations in brake pedal as if brake is applied and released.
vehicle speed is less than 10kmph, 1st gear, complete declutch, 35-40degree straight downhill slippery mud road during rains.
- Could this be due to ABS?
The continous vibration indicates ABS functioning properly on a slippery surface, it basically releasing the brake to avoid locking and then reapplying. It may be too slippery for the brake to hold and engaging the lower gear is the best option along with the brakes.
jp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 21:39   #45
BHPian

The 3rd row seats are ok for normal 1/2 hour drives, but the purpose of this post is to show how the 3rd row seats may help organize luggage too!! As shown in the picture below:

Note the delicate items are under the seat, so they are secure and don't move around everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Quanto C6 - Initial Owners Report-wp_20131102_003.jpg  

deep_bang is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed