Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium

Thoma,

Awesome review there. Boss your photography is great! Agree with Amp that you are quite a product snapper. Wish you a pleasant ownership of the Micra.

Although most people consider it's looks as feminine, I just love the looks of the Micra. It's kinda cute little city car! Looks great in red too.

By the way, I was surprised that top end diesel doesn't have steering mounted controls. Thought that was a standard feature always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Awesome review! You are one amazing product snapper ! In future I would be on the look out for changing my i10 AT. The Micra CVT is already marked !
Is there a CVT Micra on sale ? Nissan's website doesn't list one. If available, it would a great package.
naut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:49   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Is there a CVT Micra on sale ? Nissan's website doesn't list one. If available, it would a great package.
CVT Micra will go on sale next quarter as per Nissan reports.

More details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...announced.html
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Why don't you work out a V-Kool / 3M VLT70(?) for the front and 3M for the sides & rear? That should take care of the heat part and should help in better FE too. And at the same time would not land you in trouble w.r.t the law enforcement. That's pretty much on my list.
I'm afraid of the law enforcers. If they tear off the film on the back glass, my defogger is a goner. And the money spent on the film will be wasted. But, Micra is a car which need films so badly. Added to the heat penetrating in, inside visibility is too much that we cannot expect any privacy, even from the rear. If it was not for the rear-defogger, I would have taken the risk. In my Baleno, I have removed the film only at the rear window. It too have a defogger.

Quote:
Not really! Wanted to TD Micra (for my brother). They didn't have Micra, so ended up TDing Sunny! We still are in some discussions, a car might get added to our garage - too early to comment which one though!
If you can keep the revs below 2500 RPM, you can try out my running-in Micra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Congrats Thoma and excellent review on the Micra.

I absolutely love the looks of the Micra. To me the cute looks of the Micra set it apart from the other cars. I am not a fan of the Pulse looks. The pulse may appear more male friendly but it does it by looking ugly!!

The only big drawback from Nissan is removing ABS from Micra.
Thanks Vid. Your amazing Amaze review is what my memory associates with your handle.

Very true on the ABS, but it's the first time I'm hearing a guy falling for the looks of the Micra over the Pulse Hmmm..I have to agree that looks are indeed subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
What tyre pressure do you maintain and what does the manual suggest? I saw a guy in Micra last week who was standing in front of me in a petrol bunk asking the attendant to maintain 35 psi.
To tell the truth, I have never checked the air pressure after taking delivery. At the time of delivery, I just kicked the tires and felt that it was not over inflated. So I assumed that it is rightly inflated as I've read that usually tires come over inflated from the dealership.

Good that you asked. I just checked the placard. At the rear, 29 psi for up to 3 passengers and for the additional passenger 44 psi! 29 psi for the front either way.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-photo0008.jpg
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:48   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I'm afraid of the law enforcers. If they tear off the film on the back glass, my defogger is a goner...
I am talking about the transparent films. Nobody would be able to catch that. Usually cops stop the vehicle and from a distance they can make out any (dark) tints. If they don't see, they will let you go. So no close scrutiny happens. I would NOT suggest even a light tint otherwise.

Quote:
If you can keep the revs below 2500 RPM, you can try out my running-in Micra ...
Thanks. Thought you already completed 1000 kms. How much more do you plan to run-in? 1000 kms is more than enough from what I know. Also please make sure you red line once in a while. During run-in, we need to ensure that the car goes thru the entire revv range once in a while.
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Thoma for the Micra and thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Wish you many happy miles with the Micra.
Enjoy your ride and drive safe.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 17:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am talking about the transparent films. Nobody would be able to catch that. Usually cops stop the vehicle and from a distance they can make out any (dark) tints. If they don't see, they will let you go. So no close scrutiny happens. I would NOT suggest even a light tint otherwise.
Are you sure? I thought even the VLT70 is identifiable.

Quote:
Thanks. Thought you already completed 1000 kms. How much more do you plan to run-in? 1000 kms is more than enough from what I know. Also please make sure you red line once in a while. During run-in, we need to ensure that the car goes thru the entire revv range once in a while.
1600 kms as per the instruction manual. 2500 kms going with Team-BHP threads. So after 1600 till 2500 kms, I'm planning to increase the RPM range by baby steps. As per the manual, while running in, the car is not to be taken over the entire rev range, but varying the revs across the stipulated range. May be I'm a bit paranoid, but I'll religiously stick to what a manufacturer says
Old 24th February 2013, 12:03   #22
BHPian

congrats on the new car. The only sore point about micra is the lack of ABS+EBD.
fireblade007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 12:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Guess we all have a never ending quench for pictures of cars, good or bad. So I'm putting up some snaps including the ones that I skipped in my first post. Some of them have been purposefully skipped as I thought these are not that important in terms of a review. Some close-up shots have been added too; please bear with any poor photography.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4674.jpg
The Sunny dCi inside the Nissan showroom, awaiting a happy owner.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4695.jpg
The remote keys have a wonderful range. The maximum I could check was ~12 m. The 3rd button is for searching your car, if provided; I guess for the top end petrol, not for the diesel variants anyway?

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4697.jpg
The PURE DRIVE badge got added to later models. I don't know if there are any slightest improvements over the first dCi motor. The blue looks cool.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4762.jpg
Whale mouth?

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4769.jpg
A sunscreen is provided by putting close dots. What is this technically called? Earlier, or other models, had a green tint across the top of the windshield. And, why are these dots only at the center?

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4887.jpg
A close-up of the sunscreen dots. The background is a yellow wall of the garage.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4786.jpg
The writing on the lamp reads Halonix H4 60/55W.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4792.jpg
Curves are not so bad if we view them up close

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4794.jpg
The turn-indicator integrated with the headlamp assembly.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4812.jpg
The turn-indicator at the sides.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4822.jpg
The rear speaker grille is positioned on the door pad.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4943.jpg
Rear wheel well. The most awkward looking part of the Micra with sloppy protective-coating job? The wheel arch at the rear is not complete. This is how the rear wheel arch ends! There is a huge gap between the wheel and the body. Not covered by the mud flap too. And that sheet metal is the flimsiest part on the Micra. A little muscle and it can bend. Seeing this, I thought the sheet metal all over might be of thin quality. But not everywhere. Hit on the side doors and it is not that flimsy as on a Beat or an i10. Yet, definitely not in the league of the Polo. The exposed fuel lines from the fueling lid can also be seen.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4819.jpg
Rear seat angle looks fine, but not exactly the under-thigh support. I just hate the zipped head-rest covers. A one with elastic would have looked more fitting.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4824.jpg
The only silver lining among a sea of Greige (grey and beige). Good.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4832.jpg
The rubber on the foot pedals is good. Though the clutch pedal is raised above the others, I did not have any issues as with the Punto. For the sake of it, a slightly raised portion to call as a dead pedal? I am not going to repeat about the brake; come on Nissan, you definitely can improve in this area.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4851.jpg
By moving these levers in the engine bay with the hand, the gear lever inside the cabin changes!

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4916.jpg
Leather finish on the gear lever, available only on the top variant. Look carefully how dirty the Greige has already become.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4918.jpg
A stitch in time saves nine. No, nothing related here; I was just remembering this old saying. A close-up of the stitching of the leather wrap around the steering.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4924.jpg
The start/ stop button when not illuminated. Premium touch to feel. Cool. When Nissan is surely capable of quality, I'm left to wonder why they skipped such quality with the gear shifter lever and with the engine clatter.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4927.jpg
The cabin light. I have seen many cars skimping on this part pathetically. Not the case with the Micra.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4928.jpg
A trio of rubber, plastic and fabric mated to perfection here.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4930.jpg
This is another sheet metal part that feels flimsy. Just before the start of the running board; a part of the side fender I guess. IIRC, some other member have dented this area on his Micra.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4932.jpg
Meaty wiper stalks.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4933.jpg
Tried a macro.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4934.jpg
What is this clipping on the seat belt for, anyone?

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4937.jpg
The lever used to unlock the rear seat back to fold it.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4951.jpg
There are umpteen number of such marks all over with different colors, inside out, of the car. Not another car I've seen so much of them. I guess these are QC marks?

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-another2.jpg
Related to ingress and egress. Not too easy at the rear for the putting your feet in and out.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4944.jpg
The boot felt adequate for me. The parcel tray got good surface area, this means that the rear passenger sits far away from the hatch glass.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4945.jpg
What is this ventilation doing in the boot?
Old 24th February 2013, 13:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Continued..

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4954.jpg
The ORVMs can be electronically adjusted from inside the cabin. They can be closed or opened as well. They can be set to close / open automatically on locking / starting the car respectively. This feature along with the key-less start/stop and key-less entry is present even in the lower model, XV! VFM.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4755001.jpg
Trials with Picassa.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4706001.jpg
I love subtle creases. It is just the bulges that is an eye-sore. Speaking about bulges make me wonder how the denter at the ASC can bring back the original bulges!

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-another3.jpg
All smiles. The smiley on the head unit with different illumination.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4778002.jpg
The rear 3/4th. Vroom..
thoma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 15:15   #25

Congratulations Thoma ! Great Review. As I was reading this, it made me smile a lot of times. I was not particularly favouring Micra all these days, due to its apparent feminine looks, but Pulse. My friend who takes part in racing sports has one and praises it all the time. But I think, my Pulse purchase decision will now lose to Micra, thanks to the influence of your spot on review. Wish you Happy More and safe miles, mate.
mahalingam_a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 08:58   #26
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Thoma! Excellent review with the decision points and reasons laid out well.
The missing passenger airbag / ABS are a mystery though – that too only in the diesel variant!

Quote:
Why don't you work out a V-Kool / 3M VLT70(?) for the front and 3M for the sides & rear? That should take care of the heat part and should help in better FE too. And at the same time would not land you in trouble w.r.t the law enforcement. That's pretty much on my list.
I will recommend staying away from sun-film add-ons (atleast for now). You never know when the cops will decide to be strict on the ‘no sun-films rule’
VLT70 sunfilms are quite expensive.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 13:09   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
...I will recommend staying away from sun-film add-ons (atleast for now). You never know when the cops will decide to be strict on the ‘no sun-films rule’
VLT70 sunfilms are quite expensive.
How will they even identify the transparent sun films?? I have one on the front windshield and even people sitting inside don't know about it.

If we use the same thing on side glasses too, there is NO way police can identify it. And it's NOT for the fun of going against the law, but the climate becomes too hot that it starts burning (almost) my hands while driving!

And with transparent sunfilms on the car, I can't try out any immoral (Wasn't that the idea behind the ban?) or illegal activities either! (Never done before either, not interested in future too)

PS:: I do understand and appreciate your good intention behind the post; am not trying to drag you into a fight. To be frank, it irritates me to the core when I see real dark tinted cars ferry right under the nose of police and the law abiding citizens bear the brunt and look like fools!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th February 2013 at 13:15.
Old 26th February 2013, 14:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How will they even identify the transparent sun films?? I have one on the front windshield and even people sitting inside don't know about it.

If we use the same thing on side glasses too, there is NO way police can identify it. And it's NOT for the fun of going against the law, but the climate becomes too hot that it starts burning (almost) my hands while driving!

And with transparent sunfilms on the car, I can't try out any immoral (Wasn't that the idea behind the ban?) or illegal activities either! (Never done before either, not interested in future too)
OT:
The car I was using during my last trip to Kerala (in Jan) had transparent tints, and luckily I did not get flagged for checking. But what I was told my neighbour is that, (if stopped) they first check the window glass edges to see if there is a film. If they see sun-film on the windows, they will continue to check the windscreens. And if caught, you are really at the mercy of the officials – according to their mood, they can just warn you, impose a fine, or tear it off on the spot. In my neighbour’s case, they let him off with a warning to get the tints removed from his Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
PS:: I do understand and appreciate your good intention behind the post; am not trying to drag you into a fight. To be frank, it irritates me to the core when I see real dark tinted cars ferry right under the nose of police and the law abiding citizens bear the brunt and look like fools!
No problem
Old 26th February 2013, 17:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If we use the same thing on side glasses too, there is NO way police can identify it.
Some more of the OT:

Today I was traveling by bus leaving the car back home. Sitting at the back right window side, whenever I wanted to check what was passing by, I was looking for ORVMs! Just then I thought about this topic. Don't you think that the policeman who is checking hundreds of vehicles, his eyes get trained to identify the lightest of film.

Last day also the newspaper carried an article that the checking of tints are to be made more stricter. And tints are made okay for people with Z and Z+ security category!

I totally agree with your frustration against getting cooked inside a car, but I really do not want to loose my defogger and the 10k+ spent for the film; Kerala Police is so unpredictable.

Quote:
And with transparent sunfilms on the car
How I wonder if there was a real transparent film that cut out only the heat but not the light. I think I'm dreaming stupidity. Heat is always a produce of light? At the very least, the Police should be given VLT meters and the public allowed to put VLT70.

Quote:
(Never done before either, not interested in future too)
Old 26th February 2013, 21:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:

How I wonder if there was a real transparent film that cut out only the heat but not the light. I think I'm dreaming stupidity. Heat is always a produce of light? At the very least, the Police should be given VLT meters and the public allowed to put VLT70.

VKool has this transparent film for the front windshield, which can be applied to the side and rear as well..

Only issue is it is damn expensive. I got a quote of 18K for Ikon. Now, in two minds. If the cops still strip it then

Cheers
MKP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks