Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2013, 22:22   #61
BHPian

Re: Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
FE update.

30.85 liters gulped down for driving 513 kms mostly inside the town. Full time A/C on, lots of idling and bumper-to-bumper traffic, mostly with driver alone. Comes to 16.6 kmpl.
Under similar conditions what's the FE of your Vento. I hope your Vento is also a diesel.

Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 10:16   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Under similar conditions what's the FE of your Vento. I hope your Vento is also a diesel.

Thanks
Hi,

Yes, it's a diesel. I try not to take the Vento for inside-the-town-jobs, so I do not have the similar figures.
Old 5th July 2013, 21:09   #63
Senior - BHPian

Back from a 150 km drive. Did drive sedate but not exactly hypermiling. Did not go beyond 75 kmph. No A/C for 104 kms where the roads were perfect and traffic less. Put on A/C for the last 44 kms where traffic and roads were not at all smooth. Took pit breaks of 20 and 10 minutes between the readings. Average speeds when calculated are less, thanks to the ever growing traffic density in Kerala. Single person on board with little luggage.

Was happy on good roads, but once I hit bad roads, I didn't like the bump absorption capability of the suspension. The hits were felt a bit hard. I love comfort at the same time cornering but a soft suspension over a hard one. Alas, I guess this does not go hand in hand, right?

This is what the MID had to say. I have noticed that once the MID registers numbers initially, high or low, it is hard to vary drastically from that figure later on. I'm sure that the last 44 kms never could return a 24.4 kmpl (as calculated). Did not do a full tank measurement as the trip was reset long back and includes lot of city drives before this one. So the final figures stand at 31.1 kmpl after 147.5 kms. One day, I want to check the FE figures over similar conditions, using the full-tank method.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-201307.jpg
Old 25th July 2013, 23:39   #64
Senior - BHPian

Another set of MID figures. No full tank again. A/C off in the first set and on in the next two sets. Trip and FE are shown side by side. The 3rd set is the continuation journey of the 2nd. 2 pax including driver; sedate driving over 75% highway and rest twisters.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-2013071.jpg

I had not yet been called for the BMC (Brake Master Cylinder) replacement campaign and hence I had to call up the service center. They apologized for missing me out and has booked a slot for me along with the first service. So the bug is going in for the 1st service at 6 months, next week.

I am not too happy with the A/C temperature these days. Sometimes it has got super cooling and some other times pathetic. Not sure why this is not consistent. And when it is not cooling chilled, climb a hill and the cabin gets hot. I am guessing that the compressor cut off is being erratic. Will take it up with the SA.

All the way, I was never happy with the NVH characteristics for a 7.25 lac car, though the interior plastic fit and finish is over the top. The clattery K9K, somewhat whining gearbox (the grinding noise is pathetic near to lugging RPM), the clunky gear shifter, the thin sheet metal and the wheel wells that transfer road noise does not evoke any solid feeling. But I do not think anything can be done. I had done 3M under-body coating, but it has not cut off any substantial road noise. No rattles though.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-copy-img_5744.jpg
The oil level has dropped 2 notches, as you can see.

Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-copy-img_5739.jpg
The outgoing BMC.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 05:57   #65
BHPian

Quote:
All the way, I was never happy with the NVH characteristics for a 7.25 lac car, though the interior plastic fit and finish is over the top. The clattery K9K, somewhat whining gearbox (the grinding noise is pathetic near to lugging RPM), the clunky gear shifter, the thin sheet metal and the wheel wells that transfer road noise does not evoke any solid feeling. But I do not think anything can be done. I had done 3M under-body coating, but it has not cut off any substantial road noise. No rattles though.
Nice bug there thoma. It won't let you down for sure.

We have a micra diesel in the extended family. Haven't driven one, but I agree with you that the NVH levels leave a lot to be desired about.

Reducing NVH levels requires one to go back to the drawing board usually. Underbody coating generally does not reduce the NVH by much.

What I suggest is why not give the car a layer of damping? And I mean, removing all the seats and putting in the dampmats on the floor, doors and the boot. Be sure of using good quality mats. That makes a difference.

The result will not match the rivals, but the NVH will improve for sure. Try it out when you have the time.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 13:15   #66
BHPian

I don't understand the concept of the keyless start stop system. I mean what is the whole point if:
1. You have to carry the key anyways;
2. The key has to be around or near the car to start it;
3. You need to press the button once, all lights come up then press it again to start the engine. I mean in case of a getaway, I'd rather prefer a Maruti 800 with key start than this thing with the button.

Other then that excellent car, really loved the diesel engine. But what bugs me is why is everyone so excited about a technology that is apparently so useless?
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Micra Diesel XV Premium-img_4871.jpg  

Old 28th July 2013, 18:27   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval-mehta View Post
I don't understand the concept of the keyless start stop system. I mean what is the whole point if:
1. You have to carry the key anyways;
2. The key has to be around or near the car to start it;
3. You need to press the button once, all lights come up then press it again to start the engine. I mean in case of a getaway, I'd rather prefer a Maruti 800 with key start than this thing with the button.
Once inside your pocket, you can literally forget about the keys (rather the fob). Saves you the effort of digging into your pocket every now and then, and reduces the chance of loosing the key plus keeping the key in the car. Hands full of groceries from the market, personally it is so convenient for me to press the request sensor on the boot lid to open it up!

More read on this.
Old 28th July 2013, 18:52   #68
BHPian

Yep, request sensors are a good feature. But the only worry is the time it takes from the moment you unlock the door to the moment you drive off. That was one thing that ate my head away.
It's probably related to a bad experience I had while taking a U-turn on a highway. When trying to move off from the other side, the engine just stalled and in a haste I clicked the button twice maybe. Then the lights went out and then had to do the thing all over again. A truck went by from touching distance. Maybe that's what has been causing my insecurity about the push start.

Nice to know it has advantages to people I hadn't thought of.
Old 28th July 2013, 20:07   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's probably related to a bad experience I had while taking a U-turn on a highway. When trying to move off from the other side, the engine just stalled and in a haste I clicked the button twice maybe.
You just had to press once again, just like any ordinary key. It is so easy with with some practice. The only grouse one can ever argue is that the car won't start without pressing the clutch!

Quote:
Nice to know it has advantages to people I hadn't thought of
Then why do you think this is provided mostly in luxury cars. To be frank, I as never interested in any gizmos when buying the car, but by usage found most of them to be so much convenient. And I did not want to highlight the smart key as the most important aspect of the car, it is by chance that I liked the snap most among all and put it as the first one. To me the single main advantage of the car is the oodles of torque, and that too without any turbo lag.

Some other advantages of the smart key I can think over GTO's points in the above link.
  • The inconvenience of slotting of the key in the right place in dark conditions is reduced or no more. Both for key less entry as well as key less start. Once you open the door, the start/ stop button is illuminated.
  • No fumbling of keys and thereby putting them down while opening, as you do not need to take it out of the pocket.
  • Less scratches on the door near the key slot.
  • The effort in turning the key is replaced by a light tap on the button.
But one thing I am not that sure of and would like to know more about is what you mentioned in the first post - safety in pinching the car. I was of the impression that thieves need to apply newer technology in duplicating the transmitter (of the smart key); and thereby slightly advantageous over keyed ignition. Experts, please chip in.
Old 29th July 2013, 00:14   #70
BHPian

Quote:
But one thing I am not that sure of and would like to know more about is what you mentioned in the first post - safety in pinching the car. I was of the impression that thieves need to apply newer technology in duplicating the transmitter (of the smart key); and thereby slightly advantageous over keyed ignition. Experts, please chip in.
You got me wrong there. I meant if I was the thief (or in an emergency) and I wanted to start the car really quick, I couldn't do that with the Micra. First I have to press the button once and then wait for everything to light up and then press the clutch and press it again to start the engine. Whereas in a test that I and my friends did, it was 2.6s faster to start an alto with a key and get away than to get away in a Micra. Again however the problem is how accustomed you are at pushing the button at the right time and the quicker you can start.

Talking about safety, I don't think Micra is less safer compared to any other car in the segment. People will go all blah blah about the 0.9m thing but I really think its literally impossible to lose it when so close.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:
You got me wrong there. I meant if I was the thief (or in an emergency) and I wanted to start the car really quick, I couldn't do that with the Micra. First I have to press the button once and then wait for everything to light up and then press the clutch and press it again to start the engine. Whereas in a test that I and my friends did, it was 2.6s faster to start an alto with a key and get away than to get away in a Micra. Again however the problem is how accustomed you are at pushing the button at the right time and the quicker you can start.

Talking about safety, I don't think Micra is less safer compared to any other car in the segment. People will go all blah blah about the 0.9m thing but I really think its literally impossible to lose it when so close.
So Mr. Thief.... .... You really dont have to press the button twice. You just have to press the clutch and press once. I have been using the Micra for almost 2 years and have never pressed it twice unless I want to turn on the audio...
rnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 15:38   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnair View Post
So Mr. Thief.... .... You really dont have to press the button twice. You just have to press the clutch and press once. I have been using the Micra for almost 2 years and have never pressed it twice unless I want to turn on the audio...
Ok I finally get it now. If you don't press the clutch and press the button, then lights come on. Then if you press the clutch and press the button, engine turns on. But if you directly press the clutch and press the button, engine turns on... Correct me if I am wrong :P

Aint driving the Micra anymore. Nowadays hands are on Alto so miss experimenting with Micra :(
dhaval-mehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 16:31   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Ok I finally get it now. If you don't press the clutch and press the button, then lights come on. Then if you press the clutch and press the button, engine turns on. But if you directly press the clutch and press the button, engine turns on... Correct me if I am wrong :P

Aint driving the Micra anymore. Nowadays hands are on Alto so miss experimenting with Micra :(
Exactly. Its very convenient as you jus dont need to pull out the key anytime at all. Only problem is that I often forget to hand the key over to valets at hotels who in turn get stuck somewhere without being able to start the car again... So now you can plan your heist peacefully
Old 29th July 2013, 19:39   #74
BHPian

Ok another point to remember for the heist: Make sure key is in the car!
Old 29th July 2013, 19:39   #75
BANNED

I have been driving a diesel Micra since June last year. It has completed 49000 kms and due for 5th service. Touchwood, there hasnt been any problems faced till date. Yes, brakes are an inherent problem but apart from that the car has been maintenance free. The best part has been that even after 49000 kms, there havent been any rattling and the car still feels solid and quality is intact. It has been a fill it, shut it, forget it kinda car.

I love the way it drives on hills because of nil turbo lag. FE has been exceptional. I have been getting between 21-24 with 100% AC and 50% highway and 50% city driving. If i drive it sedately, it easily gives in 26-28 kmpl.

Very happy with my decision coz it has been a value for money car. No other car offers the features this car offers in this price range. The features that stand-out for me are the keyless entry system and auto-folding mirrors...
ManavJain is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed