Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2013, 14:44   #46
BHPian

Re: TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report

The storme looks good. The alloys have an offset in them which makes the car look wider. I had similar ones on TATA sierra, it completely changes the stance of the car for good (I like it). I had issues with wheels touching the fender and had a hard time keeping the car clean.

Do you have any issues with the front wheel touching the fender while going over bumps?
Old 26th February 2013, 15:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report

Man, those shots of the strome forced me to login to the TATA strome webpage and check out the specification of the strome.
I seriously hope TATA has taken care of the quality issues with the new strome, this beast will definitely in my radar when i look for my next ride.
Please keep the thread updated regularly .

Cheers
Old 26th February 2013, 15:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I had issues with wheels touching the fender and had a hard time keeping the car clean.

Do you have any issues with the front wheel touching the fender while going over bumps?
\\Plus 1 to this . I was also wondering with the limited gap due to protruding alloys, the fender will take a hit when you go over the bumps. Moreover, due to wide stance there will be stress on the front suspension components over time. I think OEM specs alloys would be more suitable.

Cheers
Old 26th February 2013, 16:26   #49
BHPian

Welcome to the Safari club, Mate.
May you be blessed with lakhs of kms on the odo, and may she take you to the farthest corners of the country.

May she rule the highway when you are at it, and may she prove what a breed she is.
Long live the Safari.
Old 27th February 2013, 03:02   #50
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase!! She looks fantastic with wheel and tire upgrade.

BTW a little off-topic, but where did you click these pictures and the best way to get there ?
Old 27th February 2013, 12:42   #51
BHPian

Vignesh,
The stance certainly looks very menacing!

How do you get the tires to jut out like that? I have seen this on many cars - do you use some sort of spacers (like they use to increase height)? Not that the tires are all that oversize in width.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-dsc_1508.jpg  

supersom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 12:51   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersom View Post
Vignesh,
The stance certainly looks very menacing!

How do you get the tires to jut out like that? I have seen this on many cars - do you use some sort of spacers (like they use to increase height)? Not that the tires are all that oversize in width.
This is achieved using negative offset alloy wheels. Using such allows you can get tires to jut out even when you use normal width tires.
tsk1979 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 13:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is achieved using negative offset alloy wheels. Using such allows you can get tires to jut out even when you use normal width tires.
I see. So you mean that the lug nuts (and in general, the central portion of the alloys) are in the same vertical plane as they would be in case of the OEM wheels, but the spokes stick outwards from that plane?

If I got that right, won't that cause undue stress on the spokes and the alloy? I would suppose it is best to have all the load bearing parts of the wheel in the same vertical plane.
Old 27th February 2013, 19:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so. These are the 235/70R16 Continental cross contact A/T. Probably the best A/T tire available in the country today
Absolutely Right,

Tsk I must take this opportunity to thank your review of the contis.that was the prime reason I went for them. These are 235 70 16 riding on 7j alloys.

The grip is definitely improved over my stock duellers.small boulder and over rocks performance is main forte.highway ride has become as expected,slightly bumpier than HT tires.but over all I'm very satisfied with the contis.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 21:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

I don't think i can pm , so requesting you via post only.
Could you please send the high resolution picture of the dsc_1510.jpg.
I want to set it as a wallpaper of my laptop, if you don't mind

Cheers
Old 10th April 2013, 12:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Absolutely Right,

Tsk I must take this opportunity to thank your review of the contis.that was the prime reason I went for them. These are 235 70 16 riding on 7j alloys.

The grip is definitely improved over my stock duellers.small boulder and over rocks performance is main forte.highway ride has become as expected,slightly bumpier than HT tires.but over all I'm very satisfied with the contis.

Vignesh - your ride has really come alive with those tyres and wheels. I presume the tyre and alloy size J spec are as per stock but the extended look is coming in due to the negative offset of the alloy ? is that correct ?

Did you opt for this combo to avoid uprating the tyre width ( for the same look but.. ) which could affect the steering feel ?

also do consider whitening the letters in the tyres. will be a good contrast to the dark colour of the beast
Old 11th April 2013, 02:12   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Vignesh - your ride has really come alive with those tyres and wheels. I presume the tyre and alloy size J spec are as per stock but the extended look is coming in due to the negative offset of the alloy ? is that correct ?

Did you opt for this combo to avoid uprating the tyre width ( for the same look but.. ) which could affect the steering feel ?

also do consider whitening the letters in the tyres. will be a good contrast to the dark colour of the beast
Yes, exactly the reason.I didn't want to upsize lest I foil the steering/handling.I stuck with same OE size for both wheel and alloys.Frankly the offset also was not preconceived.I was trying different alloys and loved the pattern on this one.The negative offset and the stance are an accidental aftermath.I liked it and I kept it that way.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 14:11   #58
BHPian

Quote:
That Butch look with those offset Alloys is Amazing. Congrats on achieving that look

Does using Negative Offset Alloys void warranty?
Can't they be used with Stock tyres?
Old 26th April 2013, 10:42   #59
BHPian

Vignesh, I am planning to go in for an EX sometime soon. Would be great to meet up with you, if you are in Delhi. Please let me know. Thanks! Sasi Menon
Old 26th April 2013, 11:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

so what is the latest update Vignesh, how is it behaving till now, any long drives? any niggles?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks