Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2015, 19:25   #76
BHPian

Update: 2.5 years & 35000km on odo. Kumki is soldiering on like a battle tank.Has successfully completed Delhi :Kolkata before and now Kolkata :chennai with half of my household loaded on in flatbed mode.Behaving itself with just the recommended service centre trips. Paint quality holding on well! Recent, Small niggle with wiring that keeps blowing the fuse on my charging points. My MMI gps charger may be the culprit.will get it checked. Even after 32 months, still makes me grin with all my 32 each morning.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:53   #77
BHPian

Re: TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report

The Chennai Floods had hit the city hard and swift. With unimaginable levels of water flooding the entire city, all of us lost much. Property, household, appliances and almost everyone lost/ damaged their cars.
We were expecting our baby who was due the same week and couldn't wait it out in the flooded streets of notorious Velachery. Kumki stood up to its dependable history with me and was a life saver during the initial spell of floods when the roads were still drivable. Kumki gave me the confidence to attempt and evacuate my family from the flooded streets to high ground.

A day later when the streets flooded to about 6 feet, the boats came in and we were able to row out my wife to the safety of a hospital. Two days later, we were blessed with a baby boy !!

I returned home to see that Kumki had been standing in water of about 3 feet above the ramped parking lot where I had left it. Fearing the worst, I carefully inspected the engine bay and was fine. Water had reached the seat height inside the cabin and the door mounted speakers and carpets were soaked. I let it dry out for a day and after getting a mechanic reassure me, I started the engine. Kumki jumped back to life and spurted out water from the exhausts.

The speakers worked fine and the carpet and upholstery needed some cleaning and drying. But overall, Kumki had survived the floods.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 17:38   #78
BHPian

Re: TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report

The flood alarms (drowning alarms) worked well and starting blaring and unlocked all the doors automatically once the water level rose around the vehicle.

Storme proved its ruggedness while wading through the waters and soaking for 2 days. My underbody held up against all the punishment and didn't give way. Nothing came off or fell loose. For once, I was thankful that it didn't have many electronic bells and whistles that could go kaput.

Above all else I felt a sense of safety as long as my Storme stood there. If the roads were drivable, i knew the Storme would pull me through.

Caution: Please do not try water wading unless its absolutely necessary.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 11:52   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
The flood alarms (drowning alarms) worked well and starting blaring and unlocked all the doors automatically once the water level rose around the vehicle.

Above all else I felt a sense of safety as long as my Storme stood there.
Hi good to know that your vehicle proved it's SUV credentials when it mattered the most. Where are the flood/drowning sensors located? Are these available in all genre of vehicles in India?

Last edited by damodar : 24th December 2015 at 12:00.
Old 24th December 2015, 19:18   #80
BHPian

I think the 'flood sensors' are fitted in most of the vehicles. This is one sensor we obviously don't get to see or test often. But during the floods I did notice quite a few vehicles in the neighbourhood giving out alarms as the water level rose. Im not aware of where they are located though.
Old 16th February 2016, 16:09   #81
BHPian

Update:.
Kumki turned a full 3 years, this week.
Just stood, stared and took account of its health.
45000 km service done. Got all internals checked and underbody coat touched up.No niggles..Only regular service.Renewed the AMC for covering this service and the next.(costed approx 13.5k but Ive always kept my storme under Tata AMC and has always been worth it)

My Storme continues to impress me and my family on multiple accounts. Nothing is coming loose and no rattles or squeaks.It has proved itself to be a no nonsense, honest and reliable vehicle. Besides my constant efforts in maintaining the Storme, I must admit paint quality has held up well even after 3 years over 3 different cities, 3 different climatic conditions.DL,KOL,CHN.

I have to acknowledge the improvement in TASS behaviour, since and over my period of ownership. I have serviced it in authorised TASS in 3 cities: Concorde NCR, VTR WB,VST CHN and have found the SA, followup, and overall experience well above satisfactory.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 22:35   #82
BHPian

The Kumki accompanied a colleague on a test drive of the Isuzu V Cross 4x4

We are planning to take the V cross Offroad over the weekend.I will do a comparo after that.Watch this space!
TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-imageuploadedbyteambhp1474477461.664632.jpgTATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-imageuploadedbyteambhp1474477498.490173.jpgTATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-imageuploadedbyteambhp1474477266.773029.jpg
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 13:36   #83
BHPian

Re: TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience & Long Term Ownership Report

UPDATE: KUMKI moves into 5th year of happy ownership.

TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-fullsizerender.jpg

As we move into our 5th year of ownership:

1. Build Quality and Robustness:
Has been wonderful and robust, no parts coming off and no squeaks or rattles from anywhere. The car feels solid and continues to give a comfortable ride even in bad roads/ terrain. The suspension and other mechanicals have held up well.

TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-fullsizerender2.jpg

2. Paint Quality
Continues to be my pat on the back for Tata. The Urban bronze specks still continue to shine through under sunlight and puts a smile on my face!
TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-fullsizerender3.jpg

3. Tires

Even beyond 40k kms, my Continental A/T tires are doing duty well and have decent tread and life left in them. Got the wheels aligned and balanced during last TASS service.Most of my running has been on good roads/highways.

4. Interiors
The interiors quality has not faded and doesn't show age anywhere. Plastics and brushed finish parts look neat and well kept.
TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-fullsizerender1.jpg

Only flake is the gear knob cover that has a chamfered bit where you hold it. Besides that the interiors are in top shape.

TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-img_3965.jpg

5. TASS Experience
TASS has shown immense growth and proactivity over the time of my interaction with them. Special kudos to Concorde Motors Mathura Road and team. They have made the ownership experience worth the trust invested and have been regular in their followup and feedback. They have also willingly replaced parts in warranty when complained about. Whenever I needed some small bits fixed, a driver is sent promptly to pick up and after the SA talks to me and fixes the problem, the car is returned back the same day, free of cost.If service is due, I get a prompt reminder and feedback has been taken seriously and followed up when required.
Im confident enough to happily get my next car also from the TATA stable.

6. Cost of Ownership:
I read another thread about the real cost of ownership, so I thought it would be a worth while exercise, from my bills/records of all the service and spends on the car, to draw up a comprehensive chart showing the cost till date, (without fuel of course). Hope this chart is useful for anyone looking for a new buy or to compare with existing owners.
The AMC package and extended warranty have proved to be good investments and overall regular scheduled maintenance has costed 25 k across the span of ownership till date including the recent 5th years' service totalling 8 visits spread across over 3 TASS in 3 cities.

Note: Please retain the invoice of the payment made towards Ext Warranty in addition to the EW Booklet itself. I was required to produce this to avail EW.

Lock Set for Doors : Replaced under Warranty
AC Compressor : Replaced under Warranty

What I generally noticed, I pay for during service (over and above my AMC)

#3M lubricant spray in lieu of greasing the doors and hinges through out the car.
#Wiper blades if replaced.
#Weights if added during wheel balancing.

The accidental and unscheduled maintenance were due to various reasons not attributable to the machine directly. eg: post Chennai flood side effects/ windshield damaged by projectile stone/ bumper headlight replaced due to minor accident, paid clutch replacement due to burnout etc (an unfortunate costly incident after the floods).

I have invested in some accessories like alloys/ tires/ yearly teflon coat and have factored them also. Of full expenditure, 85% is what I paid to dealer in Showroom. I have spent 15% of the total cost after it rolled out of showroom.

P.S: The problem with such charts is it exposes yourself to places where you could have saved money the dark underbelly which turns up when we car enthusiasts shower our car with love and later realise we could have saved that.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kumki Ownership Cost Tracker.pdf (65.4 KB, 351 views)

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 4th February 2017 at 13:37. Reason: moved text
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 16:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

Car looks fabulous even at the 5 yr mark. But why only 40k kms ? Also are you on the original clutch ? By the way wiper replacement is covered under AMC once per year.
Old 4th February 2017, 16:38   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Car looks fabulous even at the 5 yr mark. But why only 40k kms ? Also are you on the original clutch ? By the way wiper replacement is covered under AMC once per year.
Thanks Narayan.
Clutch has been changed last year.
I will check Silver AMC conditions, got charged for the rear blade replacement.
Old 4th February 2017, 17:18   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will check Silver AMC conditions, got charged for the rear blade replacement.
Silver AMC does not cover these parts, but only includes Oil Change related items.

Wipers & other wear & tear items (except tyres / Battery) are covered in Gold AMC
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 18:03   #87
Senior - BHPian

Sorry. I had the Gold AMC. forgot to mention that. Thanks Condor
Old 7th February 2017, 17:50   #88
BHPian

I think TATA top management is keeping the TASS tight and feedback is taken seriously.
After my recent service I received a call from Concorde asking me to rate their service and I was requested that same rating be maintained when TML gives a call.
Now I got this SMS

Dear sir, Hope you are satisfied with our services If you have any call from Tata Motors regarding feedback only rate us 9-10 in all parameters. If further assistance and complaints only co-ordinate with below mentioned details. CONTACT NO-7042897420/3,CRM/CRO
They must be pretty worried about negative ratings. That's a good sign to show that QC wing must be doing their jobs!
Old 25th November 2017, 01:04   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think TATA top management is keeping the TASS tight and feedback is taken seriously.
Oh! I fell in more love with this absolute beauty. Man-O-Man what a stance your KUMKI has! One stare for the car in front should be more than enough to demand its way through

I honestly love the TATA SAFARI series, be the 1st gen / Dicor series / the current Storme series. Except for the fact it lacks the interiors with bells and whistles missing, it still can give the competition a run for its money if Tata updates this aging beauty. That's what Scorpio is being done from M&M which is a good thing to keep the brand surging forward.

Safari will always remain as my favorite SUV. Me and wife had indeed had plans of settling down for a basic Storme when I had plans of buying a Brezza. But financial factors drew us back in. Anyways, this thread deserves to be rejuvenated when I hear very little about the Safari in the forum.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 14:53   #90
BHPian

Update: Marching Into Year 6!

Kumki continues to perform well in its daily duties and marches into year 6.

Some pics

TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-img_6779.jpg

TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-img_6783.jpg

TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-img_6781.jpg

TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report-img_6769.jpg

Have started getting some offers from known sources for Kumki resale. But keeping them at bay, for now.

With the Expo around the corner, Im eager to look out for prospective upgrades. The new Tata SUV remains a strong contender.
Im also lured by the Endy 3.2 4x4 AT. Some thing in the Expo has to be extremely good to de throne the Endy's choice.

Watch this space for updates!
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks