Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th February 2013, 23:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Memoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi

Well thought out and interestingly written review. Thanks.

If only Ford had designed better rear seats, the vehicle would have sold a lot better
Old 2nd October 2013, 01:25   #17

Default Second 10K Service update

An update: 24 July 2013 - Second free service
9462 km clocked

Once again it was a no-brainer to take her to Wasans. Booked an appointment over the phone a couple of days in advance.

Consulted google maps to get to their service station - the shortest path wasn't the most motorable - with incessant Mumbai rains. After wading through a submerged region, the car bottomed on something & the under-engine cover was hanging by a bolt.. Drat! Since I couldn't figure out a way to remove it - drove on since the service station was 5 mins away. Reached there + asked them to be careful. While their person was parking, the cover came under the wheel and it was clean off.. I was annoyed.

Spoke to the service advisor,
  • First thing now was the under engine cover.. A replacement was quoted at 8.5K ! So long affordable parts claims. The advisor however assured me that he'll do his best to get it fitted back - I was wary of some duct tape methods which would come off within the week/month. I was also miffed that at max 3 bottoming incidents and it comes off ? Ford ??
  • Next I showed him a couple of bruises, she had picked up over the year. One was a lower lip bruise, the front bumper was torn for about 1-2 inches by a sawed signpost, while I was trying to give way to a truck coming up in the wrong lane. Advisor said the other paint scrapes were deep and nothing could be done about it save replacement... bummer!
  • Next the Ford logos and rear chrome plate had some crusty deposits on them..(see pics below) he took pictures of them and said chrome plate would be replaced under warranty. But no Ford logos. While he was at it, he also found the same issue on the Fiesta logo, which was also accommodated. However they didn't have the parts at hand, so it would take a few days to procure them. Was promised a call as soon as they arrived.
  • He detailed out an itemized estimate of the routine charges
Grand total : 2066

Dropped my car off around 11 and was promised it back around 4/5 pm. Before leaving, I called the service manager and stressed that the engine cover needs to be reattached securely; I didn't want another 30 km trip because it came off.

Delivery was timely. The under engine cover was securely attached.. I still cant figure out what they did.. they did charge me for 2 bolt-type thingies but it was secure. They lifted up the car for me to go check a second time.

I checked out everything.. just to be sure. They also handed me a Ford Vehicle Report card - which is basically a checklist - reassuring.

Finally billing - with the additional bolts
Grand total: 2140 (incl tax) The engine oil being the main component at 1300K

I was pretty okay with the damage - yearly 2-3K was within my expectations. Filled their little feedback form - overall experience above average.

Got a couple of confirmation calls over the next couple of days over the QoS. The advisor (Raju) also called up as promised that the parts had arrived.. Dropped by again in a week.. They replaced the crusty parts quickly. He also found the same issue with the fog lamp covers on the front and replaced one of them free of cost - the other one again - paucity of parts. I wasn't making another trip for just that.

Before:
Name:  CrustBefore.png
Views: 9020
Size:  650.4 KBName:  CrustBefore2.png
Views: 8950
Size:  400.9 KB
After:
Memoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi-afterreplacement.png

2 months later:
Currently the odo stands at 11K - fuel efficiency is an average of 15.2 partially due to my now-spirited driving style.

Haven't noticed much changes post the service,
  • the car still handles like a charm + fun to drive + still in love ;
  • though I suspect the cooling and the noise insulation have reduced slightly.
gishu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 12:20   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Second 10K Service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gishu View Post
An update: 24 July 2013 - Second free service
9462 km clocked

I was pretty okay with the damage - yearly 2-3K was within my expectations. Filled their little feedback form - overall experience above average.

though I suspect the cooling and the noise insulation have reduced slightly.
Good to know that Wasan is upto your expectations. All ford cars in my family are also serviced by them, even though there are 3 other service stations nearer my home. They do goof up every once in a while, but their approach is overall professional. I also have had no issues in claiming warranty replacements till date.

- Your normal service bills will now hover around 5-6k once you avail their paid services though (I have a fiesta A/T and visit their service center very often, so I know)
- Some of the parts are expensive than the competition, but overall still competitive. E.g. the tyre used to cost 8.5k per piece, the auto-folding electric mirror assy. costs ~ 8.5k as well. Door costs ~7k w/o painting.
- You are actually now used to the sound insulation, hence you find the car noisier. Just sit in any other car for a week and jump back and you will realize that it is still the best in the segment.
- The A/C cooling if you find it low, just increase the fan speed w/o decreasing the temperature.

All in all an excellent car.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 2nd October 2013, 12:42   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2 months later:
Currently the odo stands at 11K - fuel efficiency is an average of 15.2 partially due to my now-spirited driving style.
Is'nt 15 low for a Fiesta, even for a spirited driving esp the TDCI engine?
But still its brilliant machine and the blue one of the best head turning colours. You must be smiling all the way on the highways end to end!
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
- You are actually now used to the sound insulation, hence you find the car noisier. Just sit in any other car for a week and jump back and you will realize that it is still the best in the segment.
- The A/C cooling if you find it low, just increase the fan speed w/o decreasing the temperature.

All in all an excellent car.

Thanks,
Simple_car
No two ways about that... One year down I don't regret my decision to go for the Fiesta style.. I've driven the Vento and Rapid (post-facto.. within the city.. short drives) but nothing compares to the feel of this one. The only other car that had me drooling was the Eco-sport.. and its price point
But one look at it at close quarters changed that as well.. I like the butch looks but lots of details have been lost in translation. It should have had more space and goodies inside.

I meant to say that I can hear the engine now inside the cabin.. not loud enough to be irritating but audible now. still would beat most other cars in its bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is'nt 15 low for a Fiesta, even for a spirited driving esp the TDCI engine?
But still its brilliant machine and the blue one of the best head turning colours. You must be smiling all the way on the highways end to end!
Smile every minute I'm driving.

I just quoted the fuelio average.. recent monsoon traffic related outliers seems to have skewed it. Here's a better picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Memoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi-fuel-eff-after-1-year.png  

Old 25th June 2020, 08:33   #21

Memoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi-fiesta2012.jpg
08 08 2012 - when diesel cost Rs 46/L

Summary:
  • The handling - one with the machine. Responds instantly to the slightest steering request. Within the city or on the open roads, never makes you feel like you're losing control. Still love putting it on the curves - P L A N T E D!
  • FE - 15.6 kmpl over 6.5 years within the city. Just keep the tyre pressure right
  • Build quality - absolute ford. Nothing has fallen off or come loose. No rattles or mysterious noises.
  • Stock ICE - a gem! Still sounds better than most cars.. even my 2019 Ecosport.
  • Cooling - another home run for the Ford. Great performer.
  • Driving comfort: NVH - Q U I E T. Can hear the engine a bit now but earlier it was soundproof. No annoying pedal vibrations or road noise - a moving cocoon
  • After sales - 4 years of Wasan Deonar 9.5/10, 2 years of Satyam Thane 8/10
  • All round visibility - 9/10. No thick A pillars / Lots of glass all round / sizable RVMs. Nothing will sneak up on you.
  • Annual service! Service it - forget it - 10k / 1yr
  • Expensive to maintain? - I was warned time n time again. Read on and you be the judge
  • Has some cool features like Cruise Control, which could have been dropped to reduce the price. I love it on the open roads - jury is out
  • Dashboard design - someone liked their NOKIA!
  • Ford messed up the pricing of this model - discontinued! A crying shame
  • Most of the regular parts are available/not-that-expensive. But if you break something off the normal path, 1-2 weeks of waiting for part sourcing + will pinch a bit.
  • Low ground clearance and the Unbreakable Elijah price under-engine guard. Respect the speed breaker.
  • Goes without saying - Fords don't do resales; tack on a color like this and you have a keeper. Don't care if it is well maintained, has complete service history. Granted that I didn't spend too much time looking, but all the bids that I had were in the 2-2.35L range @ 6+ years. Including private, dealer and things like Cars24.
  • No USB/Bluetooth except in the top-most variant. Aux you to hell!
  • Nothing for parking either. (Camera/Audio). Fitted audio sensors at the showroom - which has worked reliably so far.
  • [OT] Ford breakup with Wasan Motors. I'd have kept this car as long as possible if not for this.
The prequel (Memoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi) can be found here with more details on the buying process. Got it on a 3 year office lease (tax breaks!). Got squat on discounts - this continues to date - even if it isn't selling, Ford won't give me a break. Maybe I'm not a good haggler.
Good experience with Wasan motors - Car was procured quickly (Got a car that wasn't even a month old) and delivered on promised date after the papers were extracted from the office. Minimal discounts if any.

Alternatives considered while buying
were Vento, Figo, New Fiesta, Verna.
  • Went for the Figo first. Loved it... till I sat in the Fiesta
  • Verna felt like it was gonna capsize - SWAY - being the first car, I didn't feel confident enough to handle it. Didn't like the beige interiors either. Was packed with goodies though.
  • Vento - liked the european elegance but the 1990s called and they wanted their interior styling back. Too sober. More horses was good ;The deal breaker was the pedal vibrations creeping into my left leg! Didn't TD a Rapid because Skoda.
Usage

ODOMETER - ~60K
Primary use driving to-and-fro from office 18kms away from Thane to Powai. 5km city -> 8kms express -> 5km city. City stages are usually crawls. So good mix.
A few Mumbai - Pune trips + a 400km trip to Navsari (good roads and a great drive)

Safety:
  • No complaints here. ABS standard on lower variants even then - Ford was on the right track. Looking at you Maruti!
  • Brakes - I vouch for them - bonafide life & car savers!
  • Build quality - love the sounds of the doors closing. I feel SAFE!
  • + Child lock : Rear doors can be locked using the car key to rotate a circular knob. On by default now with kids in the back (always!)
Memoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi-20160305_r.jpg
2016 - Post detailing at Max Shine Thane. Thanks for the Meguair tip!

Exterior
Love the front (those eyes) and the sweeping lines sloping upwards to the rear. You get used to the rear end over time
No ungainly panel gaps that bother me - one tight unit.
The blue color [drool] as pretty the day i got her.

Corrosion-alert: One negative here was the ford badging - for the first 3 years, I outsourced the washing.. the hard water (i think) did a number on the chrome. Started corroding. Got the badge and Fiesta lettering replaced once. But it happened again. Not sure if this is Ford-Specific.

Moved to personal washes - once every 2 weeks with a capful of Meguair solution + a Jopasu brush in the interim. Turns heads every wash! The rear FORD badge didn't make it.
Wheels
Drove the stock tubeless Goodyears NCT5 15 inch-ers for the first 40K. One of them had a few nails going in - unsaveable. So had to move to Yokohamas Earth. Replaced the remaining at 40K. Definitely recommended. Ride quality improved and tyre noise reduction

Alloys

Got the stock replaced with alloys from Tyre Plus Thane quite early - 25K I think they cost. These looked great but I'd not do it again.
  1. First the Ford tools didn't work with the alloys and I found out at the worst possible moment, when someone let the air outta my tyres for parking within their CHS. The standard tool wouldn't fit in the holes to remove the nuts.
  2. Another trip to TyrePlus, they recommended changing the regular nuts to tall Allen key ones. Now I had a different problem. Once that was done, the center caps of the alloys wouldn't fit. I couldn't return the alloys after driving it around for a couple of years. I was so exasperated, that I said BEEP it.
  3. If you thought that was the end of the ordeal, a few years later noticed a tyre losing air faster than the others. Multiple checks later, no punctures. Long story short, the black paint on the inside surface of the alloy wheels started cracking off. Air was coming from the boundary between the tyre and the alloy wheel on the side. Some sandpapering of the loose paint and problem solved. It happened a few times again on different tyres.
MORAL: Get premium alloys?? OR factory fitted ones. The cheap alloys aren't worth the hassle.
Memoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi-20180923_175337.jpg
Memoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi-20180923_175344.jpg

Interiors
Apart from the quirky styling of the dash, no complaints about the dash.

Some of the tiny plastic parts e.g. on the vents + the plastic ring around the 12V charging port have broken.

Seats:

Haven't used seat covers, the fabric has held up well and aged gracefully. Probably being a bit of a zealot with a blanket ban on eating within the car has helped quite a bit. No spills.
Eagle-eyed readers would spot a blemish on the backseat there - that was a gel pen in the side pocket of a bag. The cap came loose and... perfect storm! At least that 'kaala teeka' should ward off evil spirits.

Driver's delight:
Front seat comfort is top-notch. Driver's seat (height + recline) + Steering adjustability options let you tweak a good driving position easily. Ergonomics+. Leg room and head room is great. Has a usable dead-pedal. Cruise control was a delight although rarely used on straights + low traffic - blue moons in Mumbai.
Steering feels great - responsive. Feels meaty and effortless at the same time - not too stiff or fluid. Everything is within reach. The button console on the driver door doubles up as an armrest.
Center armrest would have been nice. But didn't splurge on that accessory - was 10K odd I think. eye-roll
AC - true to Ford's reputation - great performer. Goes from 16 to heating. Cools the cabin quickly. Rarely have to move the dial below 25C. With age.. have to turn on the blower to 2 nowadays. Seems like the auto climate sensor (central on the dash) is missing a beat - when the car has been in the sun, it kicks in correctly.

ICE: The stock audio system is another reason I had to buy the car.. Hard to put into words, it is never off when I'm driving- I could be in the cabin listening to tracks forever.

Certain things are etched in my mind like Simon n Garfunkel playing while bringing my new-born home.

Passengers:
Rear seat not that much - but it is used sparingly. Leg room and head room is adequate. The hump in the middle is a bit pronounced - rear center passenger needs to be accommodated. Nothing to worry for short distances.. No one has complained so far but personally won't wanna be there for long.

Storage
Well done Ford! 9/10
  1. Front Passenger seat has a drawer under it - very useful
  2. Both front doors have deep pockets that are always full to the brim - washcloth, small umbrellas. Utilization 100%
  3. The depression below the center display is sizable, can hold coins, cards, atm papers - even a full size cellphone (not recommended - will slide right off in case of a sudden jerk)
  4. A card holder that I didnt realize was there till Year 6
  5. Storage area near the gear stick can hold a few cellphones. Bottle/cup holders do their job well too - no one has lived to drink in my car and tell their tale. Spill free since 2012.
  6. Tiny spidey webs hold random stuff like throw away papers/pens temporarily till the next clean up.
  7. Front seats have pockets behind - useful to stuff in books or magazines
  8. Parcel tray behind rear seats can hold the clutter to clear up the rear seat in a jiffy
  9. BOOT - Great space even though you have to lift things up due to the high lip. Seats can be quickly folded down for longer cargo. Won't take a 4 year old's cycle though - space is present but you wont be able to get it in. Could get it in through the rear doors. For regular suitcases and stuff, you could pack in quite a few of them.
Miscellaneous:
  • Loved the clever slope which climbs up towards the rear of the car. This means better visibility for the driver + the ORVMs are placed lower than other cars. Can't remember the number of times - the ORVM was saved when threading the eye of the Thane needle - Kopri ROB.
Memoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi-car_sideview.jpg
2019 - 6.5 years that just flew by!

Drive:
  • The engine - nice diesel unit - spritely and fuel efficient ~16kmpl with a mix of City and Highway driving. Not noisy at all.
    • City: moves around quite well even at low rpms without downshifting. No lugging even if you upshift early ~1200 RPM.
    • Highway: glides effortlessly. No rush of power - a more linear delivery. Responsive to both steering and throttle input. Sprints along - i rarely hit the 2000 RPM line. My driving style isn't exactly sedate but can easily hit 19kmpl.
Memoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi-fuelio_fe.jpgMemoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi-fuelio_fuelprice.jpg
Memoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi-fuelio_stats.jpg
  • Gearbox slots swiftly and with ease. Never a failed move. Dependable.
  • Clutch has become a bit hard over time - but that's too be expected I guess. Takes a bit out of your left leg in bumper to bumper traffic of 30m plus.
  • NVH - was a 10 initially. Cabin is nicely insulated - Rubber beading has held up well. After 6 years, can hear the engine and the compressor a bit but nothing to spoil the exp. Engine bay also has insulation which helps.
  • Visibility - T O P all round. RVMs big (compared to the Ventos' which were inadequate especially the rear view mirror). No blind spots. Helped tremendously during the initial years as a new driver.
  • Handling: Cornering is lovely - no trace of roll or instability. Steering response is instant and doesn't require much effort. Car keeps it nose straight even if you take your hands off. Turning radius is a plus too.. tight spaces no problem.
  • Suspension is a bit firm.. You will feel the speedbreaker if you don't slow down but for the most part, not an issue.
  • Brakes - you can bet your life on them. ABS has worked the few times it was called into action. Car didn't lose its line at all. Best proof was a final destination moment. A tempo and a lorry were at it on the straights. I was safely behind the tempo doing 80-90. The lorry gave a nudge - the tempo spun and did a 180 and screeched to a halt in front of me. I hit the brakes.. from 80 to 0 in seconds and stopped an inch in front of the tempo. Luckily no one tailgated me!
  • Ground clearance - the achilles heel of the car. With a full load the car will bottom out on any over-achieving breakers unless you caress it over.
After-sales and Cost of ownership :

Special shout out to Wasan Motors - I dropped my car to Deonar (25kms away) for every annual service for 4 years and had no complaints. Sterling service. You can be rest assured that the work would be done on time and without burning a hole in your pocket.
Too bad that they fell out with Ford; but if you are planning to go for a Tata/Toyota, I would whole heartedly recommend them.

I then switched to Satyam Ford - Thane, the new kid on the block. Initially I was a bit mad with them for not ever having the parts for my rare "B299 model". However now I've warmed up to them, they're quite decent. I'm having a better experience with a more popular model like the Ecosport. A tad pricey, but the work is solid.

Memoirs of my new Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi-tco.png
So that translates to a total of 56.5K over 6 years i.e. 9400 per year- including part replacements. Fuel 3-4K per month @ ~15kmpl.

Some explanations:
  • Engine underguard - this is the Achilles heel of the car. This is a thick plastic guard under the engine fastened with screws. Coupled with the ground clearance - any good jolt, the piece of the guard with the screw divorces the rest of the guard. Two/three good hits and the guard starts dragging on the floor. This came off on the first visit to Wasan when Google maps took me off-roading on a submerged bylane. Initial cost was 8K. delayed it for a year with some duct taping solution.. but it came off again. Next year it was 9K!! - replaced it with a heavy heart. Few years later same thing again - speedbreaker this time. Some old fashioned indian engg and it has stayed put.
  • 2016 was a bad year. I admit my faith was a bit shaken however 2 years down the line, still a fraction of the outlay for a new car.
    • Power window - was en route to an engagement when the power window started making a whirring noise and then gave up at a security checkpost. Next thing the glass went straight down. Propped it up with some cardboard so as to lock the car. Had to part-pay and wait for a week or two for the part to be sourced.. anti-pinch pinched 10k. Failure could be due to daily washing
    • Next issue was a coolant leak on the way to Pune.. poured water and made it to my destination. Local garage found the spot but recommended taking it to a Ford outlet. Drove it all the way back with regular refills. Was a religious man both ways! Some thermostat assembly (leak was at an elbow joint) had to be replaced.. same deal.. preorder wait replace.
  • GST - more burden passed on to customers. 2.6K on a 12k bill - 20%
  • While this post was in draft-void, I also suffered a seat recline failure and a headlight bulb death - 500 bucks for the broken plastic knob and used the spare bulb provided. No biggie.

All in all, it was the best first car I could have possibly hoped for. I finally traded her in for a 2019 Silver Ecosport, but drove the Fiesta for every km I could till then. (a head over heart decision. JFYI Go for your heart always. That's the story of another post though.)

You will always be missed... Here's to you Bluebird!

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th June 2020 at 12:20. Reason: Keeping it to two smilies per post
gishu is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 09:13   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All in all, it was the best first car I could have possibly hoped for. I finally traded her in for a 2019 Silver Ecosport, but drove the Fiesta for every km I could till then. (a head over heart decision. JFYI Go for your heart always. That's the story of another post though.)

You will always be missed... Here's to you Bluebird!
First car is a first car. And that too if that was Fiesta, what else to say! I have been seeing this thread right from the start.

I really can see you must have had your heart's fill for the entire time of ownership. So where all did you go on the highways?
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 15:12   #23

Quote:
Exterior[indent]Love the front (those eyes) and the sweeping lines sloping upwards to the rear.
On the contrary, I quite didnít liked the pointed part of the head lights. The face lifted Fiesta had a minor change to head light with the sharp point removed, I liked this better.

Overall a well maintained car!
Thats the car, I was fond of (despite the shape of head lights) and I wanted my hands on a pre-worshiped a few years back but just like the short life and low sales, there were hardly any to be seen.
Old 27th June 2020, 00:57   #24

Dil will always ask more!! Given enough spares and space in Mumbai to keep it around, I would have kept her forever.

If you knew me, you would know that roadtrips and me don't go together. I'm a lazy asocial procrastinating introvert who doesn't like travelling or unfamiliar places.

This car changed me a bit. Did the Mumbai Pune expressway multiple times - closest for Mumbaikars to stretch their legs a bit.
I did one trip on NH48 Thane to Navsari (~200+ kms) - 4 hours with stops at Manor and Vapi. (I planned to write about that trip too.. but procrastinated till I forgot all the details.) I actually agreed to go for the drive - remember the good roads all the way and the way the car handled. Totally worth it!
gishu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed