Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2013, 22:25   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
ha ha ha! is that you as the model mate? Was confused if it was a intro to you or to the car!!

Congrats on the new buy buddy! That's one car in its class that truly defines interior space! Wish the rear seat provided more under thigh support (which can really matter on long stints).

Drive safe!
Thanks man !!!

Yes, it is very much me.

I agree regarding the under thigh support bit, it could have been better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
Really nice presentation and bag of congratulations to you for your acquisition of the Scala. I too feel that this is a better alternative to those who wish to travel with some bling unlike the staid and bland Sunny. And the phenomenal legroom just adds to the utility of this chauffered-in vehicle, eh? A kerb weight of approximately 1062 kg's (please correct me if I'm wrong) should mean decent performance, but after all this is a vehicle to be enjoyed from the back seat.

And enjoy travelling Business Class!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

P.S. Nice watch!
Hi S@ndy,

Thanks ! Not sure about the exact weight but it should be shy under 1100 kgs for sure.

And yes the watch is a TAAAGGG (The way Jeremy Clarkson says JYAAAG) i love it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Nice review.

I remember my TD of Scala, the car which the SA got was in pathetic condition (dusty to say the least) and he kept on pushing me to consider Duster. The pics you posted look much better than the car I saw in person In any case, I think Renault got their ads wrong in the TV. They should seriously consider talking to you

Wishing you many happy miles and do keep posting updates.
Ha Ha i agree, the Scala ads could have been better.

Thanks & im glad u liked the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hi Karan,
Nice review indeed.
I do not know if these MID figures are really true.
A friend of mine drives a Micra and she also keeps saying that her MID shows quite high mileage figures. But when she checked it in the more conventional empty to empty tank method, she said the mileage figures were much lesser/beleivable (~17 kmpl in city driving).
Not sure if this is really the case with the Scala too? Any experiences to share?
Cheers,
Deepak
Thanks !

Regarding the FE nos. in the MID IMO the figures are pretty much achievable, hell if a Fiesta can achieve low 30s why cant a Scala get high 20s

But on a serious note i think the error of the MID would be < 10 % than the real world nos, still i shall try the empty tank method too

Last edited by aah78 : 20th February 2013 at 07:01. Reason: Additional smileys deleted.
Old 20th February 2013, 11:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!

New and innovative style of writing a review. I really liked the way this thread opened up. The first few pictures look like they have come out from an official brochure.

Congratulations on the new buy. So its time to change your signature.

I wish you many happy miles of motoring with the SCALA.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 11:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

17.5 km/l from a petrol is real good, im sure you would have only feathered the accelerator & more than that it requires some intelligent driving to achieve this kind of economy, GREAT STUFF !

Regarding the FE nos. in the MID IMO the figures are pretty much achievable, hell if a Fiesta can achieve low 30s why cant a Scala get high 20s

But on a serious note i think the error of the MID would be < 10 % than the real world nos, still i shall try the empty tank method too
Hi Karan - I drove @approx 100 km/hr on the Mumbai-Pune expressway in 5th gear.The RPM was around 3000 or so. In Mumbai, I was mainly on 3rd gear, as you know the city traffic & lights. It was normal cruising, not keeping intention of getting max fuel efficiency in mind. However I did not floor the accelerator or anything of that sort.

And to the poster who said the MID figures are incorrect, I support him. It is true for ALL cars. The actual tankful method is the accurate depiction of fuel consumption,with the assumption that the calibration at the pump is accurate. The difference is about 10% as you have noted, with MID reporting about 10% better than the tankful method. The question in India is : which is accurate, the calibration at the pumps to do tankful to tankful test, or the MID information. The answer, I suspect, is somewhere in the middle. Cheers.
Old 20th February 2013, 21:25   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
New and innovative style of writing a review. I really liked the way this thread opened up. The first few pictures look like they have come out from an official brochure.
Thanks dZired,

Appreciate your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Congratulations on the new buy. So its time to change your signature.
Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
It was normal cruising, not keeping intention of getting max fuel efficiency in mind.
I am sure you will be gaining atleast 10-15% more economy once you are in Economy mode/mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
And to the poster who said the MID figures are incorrect, I support him. It is true for ALL cars. The actual tankful method is the accurate depiction of fuel consumption,with the assumption that the calibration at the pump is accurate. The difference is about 10% as you have noted, with MID reporting about 10% better than the tankful method. The question in India is : which is accurate, the calibration at the pumps to do tankful to tankful test, or the MID information. The answer, I suspect, is somewhere in the middle. Cheers.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 22:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

WOW, what a style .
I think this is first time i'm going through a review like this , full of style , kool stuff bro.
The shot of the watch along with iphone was just too good.
The scala is definitely a stylish car and spacious too.
Anyways , keep the thread updated regularly and im sure alot of people will find this thread to be the reason to buy a scala , i mean stylish renault scala.

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 22:20   #36
BHPian

Attachment 1051229

Whatte shot! Amazing, hands down.
Looks like the S Class ditto, and IMHO, thats fab!!
Kwanza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 11:05   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
WOW, what a style .
I think this is first time i'm going through a review like this , full of style , kool stuff bro.
The shot of the watch along with iphone was just too good.

Anyways , keep the thread updated regularly and im sure alot of people will find this thread to be the reason to buy a scala , i mean stylish renault scala.

Cheers
Thanks !!!

Yes shall keep doing it time to time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwanza View Post
Attachment 1051229

Whatte shot! Amazing, hands down.
Looks like the S Class ditto, and IMHO, thats fab!!
Oh yes, those tail lights do the trick
Old 21st February 2013, 17:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your ride man. I love how the rear stands out when the Scala is parked next to it's simple sibling Sunny. It's no harm that those lights look so much like the S class

Any mods planned on this one? Cant imagine what a souped up Scala would look like!
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:10   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Congrats on your ride man. I love how the rear stands out when the Scala is parked next to it's simple sibling Sunny. It's no harm that those lights look so much like the S class

Any mods planned on this one? Cant imagine what a souped up Scala would look like!
Thank You !

No immediate mods planned, Wish to keep it stock for now.

But somehow due to the positive response to the "theme" of the thread, people did not notice / appreciated my upgrade to wider rubber
i.e. Michelin Primacy LC (My only mod)

Last edited by karan561 : 22nd February 2013 at 15:16.
Old 24th February 2013, 17:48   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Interior;

I think the interior is well laid out everything is pretty neatly designed and the color chemistry used is a fresh change over the common beige.
Space – This is the one and main reason for the purchase.

Haptics;

Haptics refers to the science / sense of TOUCH & FEEL.

Normally cars plastic (Dashboard & trims) is based on 3 principles;

1) Conventional Polypropylene Compound
2) Polypropylene Compound With additives ( Scratch Resistant )
3) TPO Skin overmolding ( Where a soft rubber skin – leather like is crafted on the hard poly propylene compound to give the entire interior / dashboard soft touch feel) – Common to premium cars BMW, Porsche etc ...

The plastics quality in the Scala belongs in the 1st category i.e. the conventional PP Type.

I say this as the plastic quality on the interiors is not at all inviting to touch, leaving that aside it has already developed a scratch above the glove box.
Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!-bad-plastic-quality.jpg

The scratch which stands out like a sore eye.

Also the plastic on my steering wheel is fading(discoloration) will try to capture this & upload a pic later.

Last edited by karan561 : 24th February 2013 at 18:01.
Old 26th February 2013, 22:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1055181

The scratch which stands out like a sore eye.

Also the plastic on my steering wheel is fading(discoloration) will try to capture this & upload a pic later.
Ditto happened to the steering of my XUV500 within 4 months.
Any solution for discoloration on the steering wheel?
Old 27th February 2013, 00:49   #42
BHPian

I love the scala's front.. so GTR ish only better... Needs a better rear end IMHO. That chrome strip across the boot kills it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
No solution. BEST Bet is get a steering cover with very thin leather from stanley.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th February 2013 at 08:09. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 27th February 2013, 20:10   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post

The discoloration which has happened is like this;

Travel Business Class : My Renault Scala EDIT: Sold after 4+ years and 95000 km!-photo.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
No solution. BEST Bet is get a steering cover with very thin leather from stanley.
No real solution as its on the horn pad it looks really bad, clear case of bad plastic quality / pigments used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
I love the scala's front.. so GTR ish only better... Needs a better rear end IMHO. That chrome strip across the boot kills it for me.
I agree regarding the aggressive front, but i beg to differ on the rear on which i am completely sold

Last edited by karan561 : 27th February 2013 at 20:18.
Old 2nd March 2013, 17:57   #44
BHPian

I own the Scala's elder twin,The sunny.I have been having the car for more than 5 months and nothing has happened like that.I presume It's some sort of manufacturing defect.

Best,

Achyuth
Old 2nd March 2013, 21:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
I own the Scala's elder twin,The sunny.I have been having the car for more than 5 months and nothing has happened like that.I presume It's some sort of manufacturing defect.

Best,

Achyuth
+1 to the above - looks like a defect with this piece. My Sunny XLD is ~14 months old and done ~12k kms and so far, nothing of the sort has happened !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks