Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2013, 15:15   #1
BHPian

The long Journey to Storme (Safari Storme)

Hi All,

This is my first long posting in T-BHP. I am not a good writer. Still I thought I should write because the way the knowledge shared by all Team-BHP members helped me in my long journey to My Storme and I would like to share my bit of experience with the members.

I am not an automotive expert and have little knowledge in technical area. Still I am trying my best to explain things as a layman.

My background and my likings.

Why I am telling this? There is a reason. I like to travel a lot especially in rural part of India and explore the hidden and natural beauty and real feelings about India. Now you might be got the point why I was looking for a SUV. The reality is that most of the villages in India doesn't have a proper road or no road at all. In my school day, I used to walk 5 + 5 = 10KM to reach my college and my mother's time it is 15+15=30 KM to reach her school in Kerala.

So the requirements were
  • A vehicle which can reach all sort of terrain with comfort.
  • Minimum electronics so that chances of failures are less. I always look for things that work well and reliable. I don’t like visiting service stations frequently.
  • Spacious and comfortable
  • Commanding View from the vehicle
  • A functional vehicle in all manner
Shortlisted following Vehicles while searching for a good SUV

Grand Vitara
Fortuner (4X4)
XUV 500 (AWD)
Safari Storme (4X4)

Grand Vitara: It is a reliable vehicle and our own Samurai and Sudev had good experiences with Vitara.

The negative points are fuel type, part availability and strictly a 5 seated.

Fortuner: Everything is good except the price, ride comfort and the long throw of gear. Even I had booked Fortuner and when I drove Storme, I just went and cancelled the booking. The ride and drivability are no where matching with Storme. Also the braking was not convincing to give confidence.

XUV 500:

It is really a VFM vehicle with lots of electronic gadgets, Safety stuff etc. We have lot of member opinions on XUV. Then why I didn't choose XUV? Here are the reasons and it is specific to my requirements / needs

• It doesn't have the same commanding view of Fortuner or Storme.
• Lot of Electronic Gadgets which may fail frequently. For me I am not a fan of lot of electronic gadgets which I may not use
• Build Quality is not convincing. Even I have to wait for Storme to prove that. Yet during my 1000 KM drive, I didn't find a single issue from my Storme.
• Braking of XUV will not give you the confidence.

Apart from this, the very important one was my better half and my son.

My better half was against Fortuner after we drove Storme. She told me that we are getting 70 to 80 % of Fortuner in Storme by spending almost half price, why should we go for Fortuner? The second question to me is that will you drive a 26 Lakh in a no road place. Then I made a second thought and I felt she is correct. She didn't like the XUV's low hung design and told me that even If I fold 1 seat in the last row of Storme, one person can sit comfortably for short city shopping trip.

My Son: He is four yrs old and is a fan of Safari. Finally we booked Storme.

I took 3 Test drives and attended the terrapod event by Tata motors.

The Booking procedure:

Tata Safari Storme VX 4 X 4 Pearl White

I booked the Storme at Concorde Motors by paying initial amount of Rs. 50000 on 15th December 2012. I was promised a delivery on 14th January 2013. Till this point everything was fine. I requested the VIN and they promptly send me the VIN Number. Thanks to T-BHP, I found that it was July 2012 built vehicle.

I sent the link of T-BHP to the sale person and insisted for 2013 Jan Model. GM of Concorde and Tata Motor’s sale person pitched in. They told me that they would deliver 2013 model on first week of February. They said that I could do the PDI at their yard and once I confirm, they will do the Temp registration as I have to do the permanent registration at my city. They sent me the new VIN and I confirmed with T-BHP that it is indeed a 2013 January model vehicle.

When the vehicle came to the yard, they called me. I reached the yard that Saturday (Feb-11-2013. They were extremely helpful. I went with T-BHP PDI list and done a PDI. They didn’t even remove the plank from the factory. Thanks to T-BHP and our fellow BHPian Mr. JK for his valuable inputs. Completely satisfied with PDI and requested them to go ahead for temp Registration.

All paper works done on Saturday. All cash except 1 Lakh Rs, I paid. I opted for extended warranty as well as AMC for 4 yrs / 40000 KM.

The day of delivery (13-Feb-2013), I went with my son. The car reached the show room by 10:00 AM. They cleaned it and went to the service area for anti rust coating from 3M. By 2:30 PM, it went for final cleaning and pre- delivery inspection. At 4:00 PM, they showed me the vehicle. By this time, my brother joined with me and we did a final. I transferred the remaining amount to their account. I was not happy that they didn’t give me a proactive demo. I have to specifically ask them for each. Here T-BHP helped again. I asked them each and every thing I needed to know and they were ready to explain.

The second one was that they didn’t hand over me the extended warranty booklet and AMC card. They said they will send it by courier. By 5:30, they got the Temp number and they stick it to number plate. My son gave the gifts to the sales person, sales head and Delivery Manager. They handed over the keys to my son and had a photo session. They gave me 10 litre Diesel coupon. My son was in an excited mood. We drove the vehicle to nearby pump and filled the diesel. The ODO meter reading was just 26 KM...

The long Journey to Storme (Safari Storme)-cam00033.jpg

The long Journey to Storme (Safari Storme)-cam00035.jpg

Ex Show room Price: 1384429
VAT:
Road Tax:138439
Warranty:7000
AMC:19000
Handling charge:8000
Anti Rust Coating from 3M:2750
Cover:1200
Insurance:33945

Discounts:

They give me all floor mats including back third row as free of cost and a car refresher. No other discount.

This event happened while we were driving to home from showroom. We were driving in a moderate 70 KM/Hr. One motor bike person stopped and told us that the rear right side wheel is wobbling. It was almost 7:00 PM now. We drove slowly and reached home. My brother took his bike and he followed me. He also felt some wobbling. I just can’t believe it. I immediately called the Tata person. He told me to come to service station next day and he will check it. All excitement was cooled off. Next day I have to do the permanent registration. I called up the guy early and he told me to do the registration and come to service station. I completed my registration myself without paying any single bribe. Straight went to the service station. All technicians were standing by. They took the vehicle inside, put into the jack lift and did a rotation. Nothing is wrong. They said they will put in the wheel balancing machine and check. No issues there also. Then they noticed that the real wheel tyre has some small protruding rubber (which is common in new tyres). They removed it and I followed the car in a bike. Everything became normal. I learned one thing. With Aria and Storme, Tata doesn’t want any mistake. They are fully confident and ready to help you any manner. A good gesture and positive sign from Tata as well as Concorde.

I almost drove 1000 KM now; 70% Highway, 20 % City and 10% village.

One word summary: It is a no nonsense fantastic vehicle with necessary gadgets.

I will try to cover each section in summary way.

Vehicle Details:

Safari Storme VX 4X4 Pearl White BS IV 2013 January

Equipment Level:

Liked in order:
Sleek Gear knob and Gear shift
Projector Lamp
Electronic Mirror and Mirror size
Reverse Sensor
European Style Switches
Stack Control

Doesn’t like the position of Fuel switch. Many times I opened it while trying to open the window glass.

Exterior Styling:

It is very subjective and for me and my family, we liked it well. No more comments on that.

Overall build quality and fit & finish.

It is improved a lot compared to previous generation and still need to improve in some places.
The one issue I found is that while getting into driver’s seat, many times the steering wheel hit my knee. Once I sat, I don’t feel any issue. May be I am used to a Sedan and suddenly I feel the change. I may have to get used to it.

Interior design & quality

Quality is improved in a big league. No squeaking sound or rattle that used to report in old Safari vehicles. You won’t feel that you are sitting in a Diesel vehicle. NVH engineers did a wonderful job. But there are some spot where you have sharp edges. Also minute attention should be given and there are scopes for improvement. Overall I am happy.

Interior space and comfort

No need to mention. It is one of the best under 25 Lakh. Third row is for kids for a short trip. We mainly use it for luggage.

Engine performance & driveability in the city

I am used to Baleno as well as WagonR. So when I moved to SUV, I need to get used to it. Now I almost covered 1000 KM and I am used to it. I didn’t find any difficulty in city drive. Now when I drive my drive my WagonR, I find it difficult as the comfort is not there in WagonoR. For me I am planning to use Storme for long drives.

Engine performance & driveability on the highway

As you all aware, it is gem in Highway driving. You never feel tired. After driving a long 8 hrs, I went to office without any issue. No issue in overtaking. Otherwise always in 80-100 Km/Hr. I didn’t do a high speed cornering. Braking is just amazing. It gives you the confidence.

Additional comments on the engine (outright power, refinement, turbo-lag etc.)

I feel there is a little turbo lag. But maybe I am going from Petrol to Diesel Vehicle. But it never hurt my feelings for driving. So I feel I should say negligible.

Gearshift / transmission quality, smoothness, response time etc.

Gear shift is not as smooth as my Baleno. It has to be improved. This is where Tata has to look into.

Suspension & ride quality

One of the best I found. You never know whether car is running in a tarmac or no road place. As Tata mentioned, it is a real SUV. My 85 Yr old grandmother liked the ride in Storme. Only issue for her is to get in / get out of Car.

Comments on the steering, braking, high speed stability etc.

Steering is good enough. But I liked the XUV steering. The other issue is with the steering position. When you get in, it touches your knee and you may have to get used to it. Once you are in the driving position, everything is fine. I am 5.8" and it will be annoying people who is taller.

Braking is an amazing one and gives you more confident.

High speed stability- The vehicle is very stable. I didn’t do a high speed cornering and I don’t want to either. I normally drive 80 to 110 KM/hr which I feel safe.

Music System

Sound quality is above average. The Bluetooth works very well. As all of you, If it was with a double din, then the game will be changed all together. But alas...

For me, it meets my requirement and I am happy. I may add a sub woofer later if needed.

Any niggles, problems or part replacements faced

I didn’t face any issues till now other than the latch for second seat. It sometimes doesn’t lock properly. My First service is due. I will update once I do the same.

I didn’t do any extra fittings.

I bought extended warranty and AMC for 4 Yrs / 40000 KM. I did 3M anti rusting coating.

Future Plans for any extra fittings

I am trying to get information on applying 3M Paint Protection film on Bumpers as well as Bonnet. I am looking advice from fellow BHPIans too.

Overall I am very much satisfied with my decision to buy Tata Safari Storme which meets my requirements as an Individual as well as a five member family person. Also it is purely based on my needs and requirements.

Please feel free to ask any questions regarding my ownership experience with Storme. I will try to answer your questions. I will upload more pictures in coming days.

Once again thanks to T-BHP Members especially J.K Das,Tanveer (tsk1979) and Hari (Lukeskywalker) for their valuable feedback on Storme and Safari.

The long Journey to Storme (Safari Storme)-201301300258.jpg

The long Journey to Storme (Safari Storme)-201301300259.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 25th March 2014 at 15:18. Reason: Sudev, not Sugdev :) Thanks
g_prajeesh is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 14:14   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The long Journey to Storme (Safari Storme)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 7th March 2013, 14:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Storme, g_prajeesh ! Guess your's is the first 4X4 Storme here. Best Wishes for miles and miles of trouble-free, Happy Storme-ing .

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 7th March 2013 at 14:55.
Old 7th March 2013, 15:04   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_prajeesh View Post
Please feel free to ask any questions regarding my ownership experience with Storme. I will try to answer your questions. I will upload more pictures in coming days.
Congrats on the truck Prajeesh and the Storme will surely serve you well for the years to come.

One question from my side: What has been the FE you have been getting in the city and on the highway till now?
Old 7th March 2013, 15:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hi can you remove the front wheelcap, and post a picture of the hub? I am curious to see what kind of new system they have implemented.
Old 7th March 2013, 15:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the white storme. My family simply calls the white Safari/Storme as "Airavata".

Do post more pics both interior and exterior.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the storme.
Old 7th March 2013, 15:25   #7
BHPian

Firstly, congrats on your Storme! Wish you many many happy miles on your beast. Keep us posted as you munch more miles.

Although your location is indicated as Bangalore, the below information surprises me. Where have you registered your vehicle? This can't be Karnataka. The Road Tax you've paid is just 10%. Lucky you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_prajeesh View Post
Ex Show room Price: 1384429
VAT:
Road Tax:138439
Warranty:7000
AMC:19000
Handling charge:8000
Anti Rust Coating from 3M:2750
Cover:1200
Insurance:33945
Old 7th March 2013, 15:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

^The 10% road tax might correspond to Kerala. Just a gut feel
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 15:59   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on the Storme g_prajeesh. It looks awesome in white. Wish you miles of happiness. Hope to you see you during our meets.
Old 7th March 2013, 16:00   #10
BHPian

Many congrats g_prajeesh! IMO, Storme looks best in white color.

Thanks for the detailed review. It will help many potential buyers make up their mind. I concur with you that Storme provides 80% of Fortuner at half the price. I am still trying to figure out why Fortuner is priced so high.

Hope to see some pictures where you are putting 4x4 capabilities of Storme to good use.
Old 7th March 2013, 16:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations Prajeesh for your Storme.
Wish you many happy mile with the beast and a niggle free performance.
Enjoy your ride and drive safe.
Old 7th March 2013, 19:04   #12
BHPian

Thank You all for your well wishes. I am waiting for my son's school vacations to get start.

I will post more pictures as I am a little busy with my office works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hi can you remove the front wheelcap, and post a picture of the hub? I am curious to see what kind of new system they have implemented.
Tanveer, I will try to do it myself and take the snap. If I am not able to do myself, I will take the snap when I go for the free service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
One question from my side: What has been the FE you have been getting in the city and on the highway till now?
Now I am getting an average of 11.5 km/ ltr. I don't have a separate figure for highway and city. Mostly I will be using it for long trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
^The 10% road tax might correspond to Kerala. Just a gut feel
Yes, I took the vehicle from Kerala.
Old 7th March 2013, 19:18   #13
BHPian

Prajees, Many Congratulations and I always see that people buy Safari and now, Storme with everyone's acceptance from the family

Prem.
Old 7th March 2013, 19:37   #14
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride Prajeesh. wishing you many more happy and safe Miles in the years to come. Kindly post more pictures and updates on the ownership of the Beast.

Last edited by kiransri_bng : 7th March 2013 at 19:39. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 7th March 2013, 19:39   #15
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride Prajeesh!! Nice to see TATA responding positively to complaints from it's customers. I hope it doesn't change once the novelty of the Storme wears off!

Wish you many miles of happy and safe driving!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks