Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 11:30   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: iGen i20 Sportz CRDi - Ownership report EDIT: Sold after accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Hope Hyundai is taking notes. We're all fans but please revise your suspension to be more hard and pliant (we can live with a little rough ride everyday) and also introduce motor-hydraulic steering/or setup your steering with full front-wheel contact and substantially lesser assist from motor. To make up for it cut a few features, we dont mind.

@Arvind bet the wild ride began after reaching the city.. what with the inter-state/local buses and autos running amok. How'd you find the chaos? Keep updating
Yeah but I think majority of the folks are happy with what Hyundai is giving them which shows in the sales charts as well so I don't think that change is going to come in any time soon

Actually it was not such a wild ride. It took me just over an hour to reach my home from Sri perumbudur in thiruvanmiur. I took the Tambaram route and I think this saved me a lot of time when compared to the usual porur route. Had a very bad time when I took the porur route on the way back the last time I came from Bangalore. The day being a pooja day also probably helped.
Old 24th October 2013, 09:54   #167
BHPian

I recently upgraded from Vista Quadrajet 75hp to i20 CRDi Asta two weeks ago. Upgraded to 15x6.5 neo alloys with 195/60 A drives from the showroom itself in the interest of handling as I got a good buyback price for the stock alloy wheels. I had this issue of skittish suspension and brakes on my drive back from Kerala to Chennai. Issue seems sort of resolved after I brought down the tyre pressure to 30psi from 36psi what the dealer had filled! Some other observations:
1. Clutch is super light with no engine thrum transmitted through the pedal into your foot like some vw or skoda cars. Read petrol like.
2. Brakes are good with very less travel. But the driver needs to press harder than expected to get the stopping power. Also does not give that jerk on sudden braking that is present on most other cars. Probably due to discs all round?
3. Engine does not feel too much like a 90bhp unit when compared to the Vista D90 which just explodes past 2500rpm.This is more linear in output and the power band seems wider too. Yeah it does fly when you want it to.
4. Overall gearing is quite tall. In 6th cruising at 1000 rpm will see the digital speedo read 52km/hr! Also low end torque at idle appears lesser than the Fiat engine which will make it difficult to handle without stalling in city traffic. Drivers of multijets and quadrajets will feel out of place here.
5. ACC is really good. Seems upgraded from the previous versions. For those interested the compressor on the CRDi is a Made in Korea Doowon DV12 which is around 120cc/rev.
6. The music system does not remember the position or last played track on USB. Switching the car off and on again will make the music system start all over again in FM radio mode. It does not start up in USB mode either.
7. The steering wheel tends to get tighter towards both ends of the lock. Takes exactly 3 turns of the wheel from lock to lock. Higher geared almost like hydraulic units.
8. The automatic headlights stay on well into daylight! Recently went on a 1000km trip. Started at 4.30am with auto headlight on. It switched off by itself only close to 7am. It was pretty sunny by that time!
9. Clunky suspension (when compared to other cars). When the front struts drop fully over a bump a strong thud is heard.
10. Car is pretty wide and long by hatchback standards. Wider and longer than the Vista but shorter by height. Driver needs to be conscious of the long wheelbase and width else will end up damaging the side on places like shopping mall ramps. Use of side mirrors recommended.
11. Mileage pretty decent on highways. Can get 20/L on highways even on keeping speeds of 120-130. Tall gearing aids this. Yet to check on city figures.
12. Security system is present which is wired to the horn instead of a separate siren. All doors and boot wired. Bonnet switch is also present which is integrated with the latch.
13. Keyless go has an electric steering lock which is engaged at any position of the wheel when the driver opens the door to come out. Automatically disengaged while starting. A "whirr" sound is heard when this activates.
14. No Clean Air ionizer in the new models I think. The label is missing near the ACC controls.
15. LED DRL's cannot be switched off!
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 19:56   #168
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations and wishing you lots of happy miles on your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
I recently upgraded from Vista Quadrajet 75hp to i20 CRDi Asta two weeks ago. Upgraded to 15x6.5 neo alloys with 195/60 A drives from the showroom itself in the interest of handling as I got a good buyback price for the stock alloy wheels. I had this issue of skittish suspension and brakes on my drive back from Kerala to Chennai. Issue seems sort of resolved after I brought down the tyre pressure to 30psi from 36psi what the dealer had filled!
Yes the cars usually have high PSI when they are just out of the showroom. I think mine had around 40!!!

Quote:
Some other observations:
1. Clutch is super light with no engine thrum transmitted through the pedal into your foot like some vw or skoda cars. Read petrol like.
Absolutely. But I guess this gets harder with time as my friend has a 2010 I20 Asta Diesel whose clutch is harder than mine.

Quote:
2. Brakes are good with very less travel. But the driver needs to press harder than expected to get the stopping power. Also does not give that jerk on sudden braking that is present on most other cars. Probably due to discs all round?
Yes the brakes are good and it must definitely be aided by the all wheel discs. I feel that the brakes are nice though I have read a report somewhere on the forum which says that the i20's brakes are one of the weakest in spite of all wheel discs

Quote:
3. Engine does not feel too much like a 90bhp unit when compared to the Vista D90 which just explodes past 2500rpm.This is more linear in output and the power band seems wider too. Yeah it does fly when you want it to.
I do feel a thrust when the car cross 2500-3000 rpm. Below that there is a very noticeable turbo lag which makes it a wee bit annoying in bumper to bumper traffic. And yes the gearing is really tall. On highways until I hit around the 100 mark, the car does not prompt me to change to 6th gear.

Quote:
5. ACC is really good. Seems upgraded from the previous versions. For those interested the compressor on the CRDi is a Made in Korea Doowon DV12 which is around 120cc/rev.
AC for the front seat users is good but I guess it gets a little bit less for the back seat passengers especially when parked under the hot sun for a long time. But I think its definitely better than the previous generation ones.

Quote:
6. The music system does not remember the position or last played track on USB. Switching the car off and on again will make the music system start all over again in FM radio mode. It does not start up in USB mode either.
This is strange. The media player does remember the last song played when USB is used as the source. I am pretty sure of that but will reconfirm again. Also I guess when you turn the system on it does remember the last source used. Will check and confirm on that as well.

Quote:
9. Clunky suspension (when compared to other cars). When the front struts drop fully over a bump a strong thud is heard.
Yes, it feels like the suspension has actually broken

Quote:
10. Car is pretty wide and long by hatchback standards. Wider and longer than the Vista but shorter by height. Driver needs to be conscious of the long wheelbase and width else will end up damaging the side on places like shopping mall ramps. Use of side mirrors recommended.
The reverse camera also helps here. Although I have never been able to rely only on the camera completely

Quote:
15. LED DRL's cannot be switched off!
Yeah true. I think its the same in every DRL equipped car right?
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 08:27   #169
BHPian

Thank You Arvind!

Yeah I was disappointed and a wee bit surprised with the brakes on my long drive as on one instance I had to brake hard. Even though the deceleration was just good the car was going all over the place and I had to wrestle with the wheel to keep it in line! Wife sitting next to me had the fright of her life that time! But it had just about 500kms on the odo then along with the high pressure in the tyres. It seems better now that I have run close to 1000kms more than that and tyre pressure corrected. Maybe after the brakes bed in properly it should be fully sorted out. Even my old Vista used to track truly straight on hard braking except for a few days after I replaced the brake pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
This is strange. The media player does remember the last song played when USB is used as the source. I am pretty sure of that but will reconfirm again. Also I guess when you turn the system on it does remember the last source used. Will check and confirm on that as well.
Now that you say your music player remembers the source, I am concerned about mine. I hope it isn't a problem unique to mine. I don't want to get them to tear up my dashboard and replace anything so soon. Else I'll have to just live with it. Would be great if you could check it out and tell me how it goes in yours. Maybe I need to check with another USB drive too.
Old 2nd November 2013, 15:42   #170
Senior - BHPian

The car had a Tyre bulge today. Front left Tyre. Looks like a result of driving into a pot hole. I any reasons why this might have happened and any tips to avoid this? Total damage of 4350 for a single Tyre and 300 for wheel balancing of 2 tyres.
Attached Images

Old 2nd November 2013, 16:16   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Precautions are the usual tyre maintenance tips, keep tyres at correct pressure (30/31 psi?), under inflation will make the tyre vulnerable to impact due to poor resistance, over inflation will put more pressure to the mid tread of the tyre and the middle can cave in creating a bulge upon hitting a pothole. Always advisable to avoid potholes of any kind, and also mid sized stones.Small stones must be removed from the grooves using screwdriver every week. Service station will do the usual rotation, balancing and alignment. If it happens inspite of all the above precautions then there's tyre lottery where its either the brand problem or the particular batch has problems which the buyer cannot help.

Last edited by dark.knight : 2nd November 2013 at 16:19.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 10:37   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Thank You Arvind!

Now that you say your music player remembers the source, I am concerned about mine. I hope it isn't a problem unique to mine. I don't want to get them to tear up my dashboard and replace anything so soon. Else I'll have to just live with it. Would be great if you could check it out and tell me how it goes in yours. Maybe I need to check with another USB drive too.
I checked this. When I keep the USB slotted in and power on and play a song via USB, then go to FM and come back to USB, it does remember and it starts off from where it left off previously. The second use case (of powering off with USB and then switching on and seeing if the source is remembered), I have to still do. Will get back on that.
Old 5th November 2013, 05:41   #173
BHPian

Quote:

I checked this. When I keep the USB slotted in and power on and play a song via USB, then go to FM and come back to USB, it does remember and it starts off from where it left off previously. The second use case (of powering off with USB and then switching on and seeing if the source is remembered), I have to still do. Will get back on that.
Thanks for the info! It works the same for mine as well. Phew! Same if you power off from the music system power button leaving the ACC or ignition on. But if you switch off the ignition, It does not "remember" the source. If a USB is plugged in, it always starts up in USB even if you were in FM mode while switching off the ignition. Also the files are rescanned and starts playing again. Hope this is not a use case the hyundai guys missed while designing a keyless go for Asta!
Old 10th November 2013, 10:01   #174
BHPian

Quote:
The car had a Tyre bulge today. Front left Tyre. Looks like a result of driving into a pot hole. I any reasons why this might have happened and any tips to avoid this? Total damage of 4350 for a single Tyre and 300 for wheel balancing of 2 tyres.
Seems like tyre bulge is a common problem with i20 Appolo tyres. Even one of my friend who has an i20 sports showed me his i20's bulged tyre to me. Also I have read on other forums about this issue.
sabsubs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 10:01   #175
Senior - BHPian

The car is only around 9 months old and the foldable key is showing signs of wear and tear. The lock button for sure will be gone in another 3-4 months. Is this something which is expected behavior? I feel its too early to replace the key within a year. And also, how much will it cost me :(
Old 5th December 2013, 15:50   #176
BHPian

There are skin shells available on eBay India for around 300 bucks. These are like the rubber grip covers for cell phones. It makes your key a bit bulky but would protect the rubber on your buttons and it has the same stock look.
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 15:09   #177
BHPian

Quote:
The car is only around 9 months old and the foldable key is showing signs of wear and tear. The lock button for sure will be gone in another 3-4 months. Is this something which is expected behavior? I feel its too early to replace the key within a year. And also, how much will it cost me :(
Hi Arvind!
Sad to know that the key is showing signs of wear. I too have an i20 1.2 Asta (2011 model). When I took my car for the second free service, my foldable key was damaged by them. They replaced it without any charges, but just for my curiosity, I asked the service advisor about the price and he gave a quote of Rs.7500 for a new foldable key.
GreyAsta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 19:19   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyAsta View Post

Hi Arvind!
Sad to know that the key is showing signs of wear. I too have an i20 1.2 Asta (2011 model). When I took my car for the second free service, my foldable key was damaged by them. They replaced it without any charges, but just for my curiosity, I asked the service advisor about the price and he gave a quote of Rs.7500 for a new foldable key.
What? 7500 is too much. Will look up the options which are available in ebay then as the key will surely give away in another six months max. Atrocious pricing or is it really that expensive across all brands?
Old 6th December 2013, 21:37   #179
BHPian

Quote:
What? 7500 is too much. Will look up the options which are available in ebay then as the key will surely give away in another six months max. Atrocious pricing or is it really that expensive across all brands?
Yes 7500 is on the higher side but I heard that Punto's key is more than 9000. May be these kind keys are really expensive!
sabsubs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 12:48   #180
Senior - BHPian

Went on a trip from Chennai - Karaikudi - Chennai last weekend and the vehicle performed as usual without any hiccups. Gave it for the 20K service after returning and the bill came to around 4100 rupees. Nothing major to report otherwise. The vehicle is munching up the miles without any trouble *touch wood*

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks