Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2013, 10:51   #16
BHPian

re: iGen i20 Sportz CRDi - Ownership report EDIT: Sold after accident!

Hi Arvind

Congratulations on your new car. Looks fabulous in grey. I made a mistake of not buying this colour when my family members insisted me to go for this colour. I ended up buying my polo 1.6 in silver.

I have seen your swift many times in TCO. Hope to see your grey i20 the next time when i am there.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 6th March 2013 at 10:57.
vishnu.csk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 11:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Congratulations on the lovely car.

The purpose of the mesh is to avoid the glare of the sun on the driver's eye. When the sun is right in front of the driver's eyesight, he can use the visor to block it. But when the sun it at a 45% angle on the left side of the driver, its glare can't be blocked by the visor. In such a situation, the mesh behind the IRVM helps to cut the glare.

Rohan
Thank you. Did not know that bit of detail. Nice information to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
Hi Arvind

Congratulations on your new car. Looks fabulous in grey. I made a mistake of not buying this colour when my family members insisted me to go for this colour. I ended up buying my polo 1.6 in silver.

I have seen your swift many times in TCO. Hope to see your grey i20 the next time when i am there.
Thank you. Yes the Grey is good, though I personally liked the Bronze color in the i20 better. Sure sir, parked mostly either near the food court or right at the entrance. No team bhp stickers yet though . You had an Alto right if I am not wrong??
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 11:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
You had an Alto right if I am not wrong??
Yes i still have it.
Bought the polo close to 2 years back.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 6th March 2013 at 11:43.
vishnu.csk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 13:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: iGen i20 Sportz CRDi - Ownership review

Quote:
The steering is oh soooo light. I do not think it will create much problems for me but for sure this steering is not for the enthusiast and I now understand why the HPS fans will never like this car
Personally, I find it dangerously light. Hyundai could have done a better job with this. My only other example of a good EPS system is in the Honda Brio. It is just brilliant. Light when you want it to be and then weighs up nicely as you build speed and the weight does not feel artificial. The steering does weigh up in the i20 too but its nowhere as good as the Brio. Feels dead at times. A steering wheel does not need to be made for the enthusiast, all I expect is some life in it so that I know what the car is doing. In just about every Hyundai car I have driven, they are lifeless

Sounds like you have the first generation Swift with the hydraulic power steering and 1.3l engine. This is one heck of a good car. The best in its time.

The i20 diesel could have easily been a drivers car had Hyundai paid some attention to the driving dynamics. The power that this car has cannot be explored. The suspension is too soft. Even if the suspension was not tuned for purists, a slightly firmer strut would have made a world of a difference.

A friend/colleague has the same variant as yours but the 1.2l. It is adequate for his requirements. Its not peppy in any sense of it. I drive this car once in a while. As I drive a Fiat, this Hyundai feels effortless in comparison and is a nice little car. The soft and comfortable ride, there is a lot to like about it especially when your regular car is the exact opposite.

Nice report.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 14:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Personally, I find it dangerously light. Hyundai could have done a better job with this. My only other example of a good EPS system is in the Honda Brio. It is just brilliant. Light when you want it to be and then weighs up nicely as you build speed and the weight does not feel artificial. The steering does weigh up in the i20 too but its nowhere as good as the Brio. Feels dead at times. A steering wheel does not need to be made for the enthusiast, all I expect is some life in it so that I know what the car is doing. In just about every Hyundai car I have driven, they are lifeless
Yes that is right. The steering is lifeless in all the Hyundai cars I have driven (i10, old verna and now the i20). Have to understand its limitations and act accordingly. If that is done, I think it should be safe enough.

Quote:
Sounds like you have the first generation Swift with the hydraulic power steering and 1.3l engine. This is one heck of a good car. The best in its time.
Yes, I do have the first generation swift. And agree, its one heck of a car, completely fun to drive. Mileage is not too bad either (12km/l). Probably less by today's petrol car standards, but who cares . I thought all generations of the swift came with EPS though.

Quote:
A friend/colleague has the same variant as yours but the 1.2l. It is adequate for his requirements. Its not peppy in any sense of it. I drive this car once in a while. As I drive a Fiat, this Hyundai feels effortless in comparison and is a nice little car. The soft and comfortable ride, there is a lot to like about it especially when your regular car is the exact opposite.
For someone who drives a Fiat, a TJet at that, guess no other car would do

Quote:
Nice report.
Thank you!!!
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 14:55   #21
BHPian

Congrats on the car, my friend! She looks beautiful and great to know you have bought a car with abs! Nothing less expected from a fellow Bhpian! I quite liked the way you described the entire episode. Hyundai makes some good cars but somehow i felt the steering was a little too light for me, the car would turn with just a nudge from a finger. The engine is an absolute gem though. Where the Mjds run out of breath, the i20's crdi still goes strong!

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 6th March 2013 at 15:17. Reason: grammar
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 22:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. You'll definitely enjoy each and every mile clocked with this car. Enjoyed reading your detailed review.

Quote:
When the wipers are set to auto mode, each time I insert the key or start the car, the wiper makes a swipe across the screen. Dont think this is good for the windshield (may develop scratches) and hence have switched it off for now
I don't think this is the intended behavior. It'll definitely produce scratches on your windshield. Ask your SA if this is the correct behavior.

Quote:
Horizontal AC vents. Have not seen these type of vents anywhere. Hope they last
They won't last long. You have to use the vent adjuster very carefully. They are very delicate. Fortunately they are covered under warranty. Mine was broken last month and got it replaced under warranty.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 08:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Congratulations on your new car. You'll definitely enjoy each and every mile clocked with this car. Enjoyed reading your detailed review.

I don't think this is the intended behavior. It'll definitely produce scratches on your windshield. Ask your SA if this is the correct behavior.
Thank you. Let me check the manual and if that also does not answer my question, will check with the SA during the first service

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
They won't last long. You have to use the vent adjuster very carefully. They are very delicate. Fortunately they are covered under warranty. Mine was broken last month and got it replaced under warranty.
Oh. Not very good news. But good to hear that it is covered under warranty. Thanks for this piece of information. Now I know what to do in case they break
Old 8th March 2013, 09:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Some observations made over 10 days of driving the car:
  • A thud sound comes sometimes when driving over a pot hole. I observed this 2 times. This happens only on the right hand front wheel side. Any idea what this noise might be? Suspension?
  • When I forget to switch off the lights in the night and switch off the ignition, the lights also get switched off. This is good and helpful
  • The no auto lock feature is hurting me. Since this is there on my swift (retro fitted), I forget to manually lock the doors most of the times and realize it very late. This should have been there
  • The bluetooth does not allow you to pair a phone when driving!! My wife tried to get her phone paired yesterday while driving and it threw an error message saying "Not possible while driving". Good safety feature, but annoying when the passenger tries it
  • Got a nasty scratch and minor dent when yet another biker guy placed his life in my hands and I had to save him when he tried to squeeze between an MTC bus and my car in a standing signal within a gap which could not have accomodated a bicycle
  • The car is very nice to drive when in its turbo zone. Have not fully explored it though and I dont think I can do so as well as the rest of the car does not support the speed the engine is capable of. Well, cant have everything I guess
  • No bottle holder in any of the doors and no place to keep anything beyond the driver seat. Why??
Old 8th March 2013, 14:19   #25
BHPian

Nice car. Hope you are loving it.

Quote:
  • A thud sound comes sometimes when driving over a pot hole. I observed this 2 times. This happens only on the right hand front wheel side. Any idea what this noise might be? Suspension?
Welcome to i20 ownership. Suspension is a safety feature (It will make sure that you drive slow over pot holes and bumps.) I feel it goes well with the 2nd gear which is so powerless until you cross 2000 rpm. (at least in my pre gen i20). Hope they have corrected in the new ones.

Quote:
  • The car is very nice to drive when in its turbo zone. Have not fully explored it though and I dont think I can do so as well as the rest of the car does not support the speed the engine is capable of. Well, cant have everything I guess
It's quite useful in overtaking. and surely there is a surge in power. Love it every bit.

Quote:
  • No bottle holder in any of the doors and no place to keep anything beyond the driver seat. Why??

They gave all other good to have features. but still left this much needed feature even in new gen. (Apart from Suspension.)
Vizay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 15:17   #26
BHPian

Yes the weightlessness is unsettling sometimes but I guess its perfect for city driving. I dont think you can turn off the DRLs. I like them though. Guess I am more of a bling person that I thought myself to be [/quote]

Congrats on buying the i20 CRDi. I also own a red colour that was bought 6 months back. Regarding the DLRs, I thought only ASTA variants get them? Have they started including it for the Sportz variant as well? If so I would want to get one installed for my car. I really like them.
Aarman_008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 15:23   #27
BHPian

Congratulations on the iGen i20 Sportz CRDi

Quote:
Random Musings with Pictures:

..Zero feedback though and my 1.25 year old daughter could spin it.
Attachment 1057147

...the function of the black dots area present on the other side of the glass just above the mirror?
Attachment 1057157
Congratulations on a beautiful car!
I have grown to like the i20 more and more. Initially didn't particularly like the DRLs, but they've grown on me.

Loved your comment on your baby girl being able to move the steering
Very apt!

The black dots are there an a part of the sun-screen. Once you lower the visors, it forms a complete strip, protecting the driver from the direct sun light.

Wish you a wonderful ownership!

Cheers & drive safe.
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 15:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Nice car. Hope you are loving it.

Welcome to i20 ownership. Suspension is a safety feature (It will make sure that you drive slow over pot holes and bumps.) I feel it goes well with the 2nd gear which is so powerless until you cross 2000 rpm. (at least in my pre gen i20). Hope they have corrected in the new ones.

It's quite useful in overtaking. and surely there is a surge in power. Love it every bit.
Its not bad below 2000rpm but there definitely is a lag, no doubt about it. But between 2000-3500, it completely transforms!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarman_008 View Post
Congrats on buying the i20 CRDi. I also own a red colour that was bought 6 months back. Regarding the DLRs, I thought only ASTA variants get them? Have they started including it for the Sportz variant as well? If so I would want to get one installed for my car. I really like them.
Thanks you. Its now available on the Sportz and Asta variants. Not sure if they can be retrofitted as I did not ask. I see no reason why they cant be retrofitted though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Congratulations on a beautiful car!
I have grown to like the i20 more and more. Initially didn't particularly like the DRLs, but they've grown on me.

Loved your comment on your baby girl being able to move the steering
Very apt!
Thank you. Yes the comfort levels of the car and the interiors are good, especially for someone who does the bulk of driving is done inside the city. The driving dynamics might be a let down at higher speeds, but we (me or my dad) are not going to explore those speeds so it does not matter.

And I have loved the DRLs since the day I saw them
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
The black dots are there an a part of the sun-screen. Once you lower the visors, it forms a complete strip, protecting the driver from the direct sun light.

Wish you a wonderful ownership!

Cheers & drive safe.
Sam
Yes, got this information from another BHPian. Thank you though. Hoping the best of driving experiences to you as well with your car. The only unknown for now for me would be the maintenance costs. Lets hope that experience is good as well
Old 8th March 2013, 17:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Please check the tyre pressure. Cars fresh out of dealerships and service stations have notoriously high PSI values. Mine was delivered with 45PSI on all wheels. Immediately brought it down to recommended levels. You might be hearing ot more prominently as it is the one closest to you. This is also partly due to the softer suspension setup.
Old 8th March 2013, 17:33   #30

Quote:
Congrats on the buy! Excellent colour...I have a 1.2 in the same colour I did hear the thuds in the first week of driving, but my car is now 10 months old and I have not heard it after the first week...it probably was a psychological thing because I read so much about the "thud" in the old gen i20 and was worried if it was really fixed.

Personally not felt that bottle holders are an issue, I keep them right between the front seats where there a couple of holders. And I find it extremely convenient and less cumbersome compared to the door bottle holder.

Most Viewed