Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2013, 09:16   #31
BHPian

re: iGen i20 Sportz CRDi - Ownership report EDIT: Sold after accident!

Congratulations on your new buy.

The color of choice is really good.

CRDi is really fun to drive, the only negative for me is the steering feedback.
nidhin0816 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 10:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
  • A thud sound comes sometimes when driving over a pot hole. I observed this 2 times. This happens only on the right hand front wheel side. Any idea what this noise might be? Suspension?
Yes, its the suspension. The thud sound comes from the left front wheel in the old-gen i20s. You can hear the same thud sound if you try to negotiate a speed breaker at slightly higher speeds. I thought they have resolved this issue in the new-gen i20s. I used to take up this issue with Hyundai service in the initial days. They have no idea how to overcome this issue. You need to just make sure that the speed breakers and pot holes are negotiated carefully.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 9th March 2013 at 10:36.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 11:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

Please check the tyre pressure. Cars fresh out of dealerships and service stations have notoriously high PSI values. Mine was delivered with 45PSI on all wheels. Immediately brought it down to recommended levels. You might be hearing ot more prominently as it is the one closest to you. This is also partly due to the softer suspension setup.
I did check the tyre pressure on delivery and it was 40 plus for all tyres. Got it rectified on the same day though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakd03 View Post

Congrats on the buy! Excellent colour...I have a 1.2 in the same colour I did hear the thuds in the first week of driving, but my car is now 10 months old and I have not heard it after the first week...it probably was a psychological thing because I read so much about the "thud" in the old gen i20 and was worried if it was really fixed.

Personally not felt that bottle holders are an issue, I keep them right between the front seats where there a couple of holders. And I find it extremely convenient and less cumbersome compared to the door bottle holder.
Thank you. I am now making it a point to not speed across pot holes and now am not hearing them. Yes I probably will also get used to the bottle holders not being there

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhin0816 View Post
Congratulations on your new buy.

The color of choice is really good.

CRDi is really fun to drive, the only negative for me is the steering feedback.
Thank you. True that. The fun to drive part becomes a little limited due to the steering and suspension characteristics but am not complaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post

Yes, its the suspension. The thud sound comes from the left front wheel in the old-gen i20s. You can hear the same thud sound if you try to negotiate a speed breaker at slightly higher speeds. I thought they have resolved this issue in the new-gen i20s. I used to take up this issue with Hyundai service in the initial days. They have no idea how to overcome this issue. You need to just make sure that the speed breakers and pot holes are negotiated carefully.
Yes that's what am doing now and I don't hear the thud sounds now. Hope it stays that way.
Old 11th March 2013, 00:45   #34

Congrats Arvind. I have the same car in the exact same colour. Its a hoot to drive. Its a month old now and I have loved every inch of the 3K kms that I have driven.

I did my 1.5K kms checkup amd as per suggestions here got the oil and filter replaced even though the SA tried to talk me out of it. Its smoothened out since.

I do hear the thud noice over the not so good roads but elsewhere its a charm.

As mentiined by you the steering is super light compared to my friend's Vdi but I like it this way.

Lot has been said about the highway characteristics of the car but I loved the way it handled itself when I took it to Jaipur and back.

It is a premium car and gadgetery is to die for. Paid 8 big ones OTR without extended warranty and insurance from Kotak (bumper to bumper and zero depriciation). Money spent well.

Enjoy your ride.

PS: Love the looks and turning heads courtesy the LEDs!!
abhi7887 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 09:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7887 View Post
Congrats Arvind. I have the same car in the exact same colour. Its a hoot to drive. Its a month old now and I have loved every inch of the 3K kms that I have driven.
Thank you. 3K in one month!! Very much in love with the car I guess. Why dont you put up an ownership report?

Quote:
I did my 1.5K kms checkup amd as per suggestions here got the oil and filter replaced even though the SA tried to talk me out of it. Its smoothened out since.

I do hear the thud noice over the not so good roads but elsewhere its a charm.

As mentiined by you the steering is super light compared to my friend's Vdi but I like it this way.
Oh ok. I checked with the SA during delivery and they told me that no oil change is required. Any benefits of doing the oil change over and above the recommendation of the SA? I thought of going with whatever the SA had told me.

Yes the steering is light but that makes it immensely helpful for city driving. I love my swift's steering though, especially after driving the i20 for a week

Quote:
Lot has been said about the highway characteristics of the car but I loved the way it handled itself when I took it to Jaipur and back.

It is a premium car and gadgetery is to die for. Paid 8 big ones OTR without extended warranty and insurance from Kotak (bumper to bumper and zero depriciation). Money spent well.

Enjoy your ride.

PS: Love the looks and turning heads courtesy the LEDs!!
Good to hear that. My dad has taken it to Bangalore this week and I am sure for speeds of upto a 100, the car will behave well. I also have not taken the extended warranty and so will check out if that can be done during the first service.

Yes, it does turn heads. In fact, a couple of times, I have had people asking me to switch the light off and I assume they thought I was driving with the lights on during the day
Old 11th March 2013, 11:48   #36

Straight line manners are excellent, I took it on a recent trip and held speeds of 150 comfortably. But if you try to push it through corners fast, it is scary...very scary. I tried taking a fast corner on a one-way in the city, and, thanks to the poor steering feedback, I could not make out if I had turned enough to cross the curve comfortably.
deepakd03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 09:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

The gear shift indicator works really well. Does anyone know how it actually works? It gives a pretty good indicator of when to up shift or when to down shift. I thought it is based on the RPM which is reached in a particular gear but I noticed (I think) that it is not always at the same RPM and hence it might be a combination of the acceleration + RPM.

Can anybody throw a light on how it actually works?
Old 12th March 2013, 13:41   #38

Some observations made over 10 days of driving the car:
  • A thud sound comes sometimes when driving over a pot hole. I observed this 2 times. This happens only on the right hand front wheel side. Any idea what this noise might be? Suspension?
Congratulations! i20 is a great city car, may it serve you and your family well. I own i20 petrol and used to get this thud noise as well. A month back I switched from air to NO2 and it has made a considerable difference both in tyre noise as well as the thud noise.
pro711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 14:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro711 View Post
Congratulations! i20 is a great city car, may it serve you and your family well. I own i20 petrol and used to get this thud noise as well. A month back I switched from air to NO2 and it has made a considerable difference both in tyre noise as well as the thud noise.
Thank you. I thought the noise was more to do with the suspension. Anyway good to hear that the noise has come down after NO2 filling. Not very thrilled about filling NO2 in my car as not sure how many bunks near my house even have that facility. And if I have to fill air, then I have to deflate and inflate the tyre which is a pain.
Old 12th March 2013, 15:00   #40

Quote:
Thank you. I thought the noise was more to do with the suspension. Anyway good to hear that the noise has come down after NO2 filling. Not very thrilled about filling NO2 in my car as not sure how many bunks near my house even have that facility. And if I have to fill air, then I have to deflate and inflate the tyre which is a pain.

I hear you, I get a good deal of no charge at all for getting NO2 filled with each tank full of petrol, this is from Indian Oil on Mehrauli Gurgaon Road, Gurgaon. There are quite a few NO2 dispensing stations around here so refilling, though a bit expensive (varies from Rs. 25 to Rs. 100) is not a problem. I too feel this noise happens due to the suspension, maybe the soft suspension is the reason why it pitches and crashes resulting into that discomforting noise, I checked with Professional Hyundai, they were clueless on this one . You may want to try a lower PSI and see if there is a difference, I used to fill up 32 PSI on air. Of course, the best option is to get it checked, maybe you will have better luck than me with Hyundai ASS.
pro711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 10:58   #41
BHPian

Congrats arvind71181 on your new purchase.

Your car looks stunningly beautiful. I20 is surely a looker among the cars south of INR 10 Lacs.

I also feel that DRLs add to the look of the car. BTW, it is not merely bling. It enhances the visibility of car to other road users (which significantly affects the probability of an accident in positive way). At least, this is what wiki says - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp.

Wish you thousands of happy and safe miles with i20. Will look forward to regular updates on this thread.
Gotham_City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 11:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Congrats arvind71181 on your new purchase.

Your car looks stunningly beautiful. I20 is surely a looker among the cars south of INR 10 Lacs.

I also feel that DRLs add to the look of the car. BTW, it is not merely bling. It enhances the visibility of car to other road users (which significantly affects the probability of an accident in positive way). At least, this is what wiki says - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp.

Wish you thousands of happy and safe miles with i20. Will look forward to regular updates on this thread.
Thank you. Yes, it does enhance visbility to an extent. Also during dusk, it looks really nice. An oft heard joke regarding the visibility part:

A guy (M1) wanted to turn right at the upcoming intersection and hence put the right indicator. While completing the turn (after checking that there are no vehicles nearby), he gets hit by a car (M2) coming from the oncoming lane.

M1 - Did you not see my right turn indicator?
M2 - I did not see your car only, how do you expect me to see your car's indicator?

This aptly describes the road manners in our country, so I dont think DRL's matter here
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 13:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Yes, it does enhance visbility to an extent. Also during dusk, it looks really nice. An oft heard joke regarding the visibility part:
LOL! Seriously. In our conditions, we need all active and passive safety features of the car coupled with the blessings of almighty to be safe on roads.

Thankfully, you are on a strong footing with a fully loaded car which has been rated 5 star by Euro NCAP.

Sincerely hope that you don't ever have to use the safety features (especially the passive ones) though!
Gotham_City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 09:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Some more observations:

(+) ves:
  • Electrochromatic mirrors are a boon especially when there are high beamers everywhere behind you
  • Learnt how to use the reverse camera with in conjunction with mirrors and my own head . The camera helps when there are small objects protruding and which are extremely difficult to see
  • Boot space is very good for a hatchback. Very useful for airport runs and is capable of carrying a good amount of luggage
  • First time using electonic mirror adjustment and I love its ease of use
  • The power windows actually work for a limited amount of time after the vehicle has been switched off. Cool
(-) ves
  • Harping on this again and again, but no auto lock (and no provision to get it activated either) is really bad. Half the time I forget to lock the doors
  • My itouch is not recognized by the player. I use the apple provided cable to connect it via USB. Any suggestions to make it work? I dont want to go the Aux way as I would like to choose the songs which are being played
  • The suspensions make a thud noise when going over speed breakers or pot holes at barely above minimum speed. I thought it resolved by itself but appeared with a vengeance last night again. The only solution right now is to go very slowly over potholes. Will check with the service guys on what can be done to prevent it
  • I am not sure, but I feel that the brakes are not working at their optimum level in spite of them being all wheel discs. Had to do an emergency braking yesterday and felt that the car took a little more time to stop. I need to get this checked out during the first service as well.
Giving the vehicle for the first service either today or tomorrow. Will be beck with more details after the service.
Old 18th March 2013, 09:45   #45
BHPian

Hi Arvind, is the suspension noise like a muted thud or a crash kind of sound with squeaks? If its the thud, its an issue that was/is present in i20s. A friend of mine got it rectified and the SA said it was some issue with a bush/mounting on the suspension/wheel point or something to that tune.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks