Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2013, 16:19   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: iGen i20 Sportz CRDi - Ownership report EDIT: Sold after accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Updates, updates and updates! Anything new with the car Arvind sir!?! What is your current ODO reading?
Nothing much to update as of now so refrained from posting

The ODO is currently at 4350 kms. After the Madurai trip its been commuting to office and back. Its been good so far and touchwood it willl continue to be so . I would probably check the engine oil at 5k kms to make sure its still fine and does not require a change. Thats about it
arvind71181 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 16:23   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Nothing much to update as of now so refrained from posting

The ODO is currently at 4350 kms. After the Madurai trip its been commuting to office and back. Its been good so far and touchwood it willl continue to be so . I would probably check the engine oil at 5k kms to make sure its still fine and does not require a change. Thats about it
Well, good luck and hope you hit the 5k mark soon!

I would change the oil in my ride at 1k or 2k irrespective of whether its needed or not. I have heard it helps in the running in process. My car has only done 660Km in one month. Talk about a diesel running lesser than a petrol! This is entirely my opinion though, you can stick to the schedule recommended by your SC and change oil if required. but since i am going to keep my car for a really long time, i am taking extra care.

Note: I just realised how much of a joke i am playing on myself. Due to fear of getting scratches or banging someone on the road, i have parked my car and still commute to office by my bike. Don't know whether to laugh or cry. LOL.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 24th April 2013 at 16:26.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 13:27   #93
Senior - BHPian

Short of looking at the user manual, can anyone let me know if the Sportz variant has heated ORVMs? If yes, how do we activate them?

Also, the trip meter resets at 1000kms is it? Too low in my opinion. Anyway to add one more digit

I have noticed that there is an hour count which calculates the time the engine has been on in the enging. It currently shows me a value of 51 odd hours. Whats the use of this value? (apart from probably detecting if the driver has used the AC when the owner was not present, if you have a driver that is). Instead of this meter, a DTE/ avg mileage indicator would have been more useful.
Old 30th April 2013, 23:27   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Short of looking at the user manual, can anyone let me know if the Sportz variant has heated ORVMs? If yes, how do we activate them?
. The defogger switch activates the heated ORVMs.

Quote:
Also, the trip meter resets at 1000kms is it? Too low in my opinion. Anyway to add one more digit
. Agreed...an additional digit would have been welcome on the tripmeter.

Quote:
I have noticed that there is an hour count which calculates the time the engine has been on in the enging. It currently shows me a value of 51 odd hours. Whats the use of this value? (apart from probably detecting if the driver has used the AC when the owner was not present, if you have a driver that is). Instead of this meter, a DTE/ avg mileage indicator would have been more useful.
. The best use I have found for this is to know how long (time) the journey took. Of course, for this to be effective, you would have to reset each time you start your journey from A to B. But it's good to find out if you are driving at the same speed (or need to go faster) every day in order to reach a particular place, e.g., home to work and/or back.
kkdelhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 20:08   #95
BHPian

Sorry about hijacking your thread mate, but am stuck with a very perplexing situation which has been squirming around in my mind since yesterday.

Drove an esteem before this which was sold to the Hyundai dealer under exchange. So, the SA gave me a call couple of days back to come and collect the updated RC for the old car. Left the car at home and asked my brother to pick it up.

My mom too tagged along with him to the showroom and waited outside while my brother went inside to collect the RC. As he had taken the keys along, my mom kept the door open a bit to beat the heat. He must have been gone for around 15 mins, came back started the car, switched on the AC and proceeded to drive. Barely 100 meters from the showroom is a cut in the road from which he needed to take a U-turn. He reaches the U-turn and positions the car almost perpendicular to the road and waits for the traffic to clear.

All of a sudden the front passenger window glass starts crumbling down. Next thing they know is that the window is crumbling down like a wall (top to bottom) and all the shards are on the co-passenger (no harm thankfully).

My brother and mom testified that they hard absolutely nothing (no stone hit etc.). They call up the SA who rushes to the spot along with another guy. Good feedback for him as he pulled everyone out, calmed them and took them back to the showroom, offered water etc.

He suggested against claiming insurance as we would lose out on the NCB and suggested we get it done on cash. They replaced it anyway and the total dent came out to be Rs.1350.

Now, I am very confused as to what had happened. How can a 3 month old car's glass just crumble out of the blue. The showroom people say it was either a rock which hit it (there was no rock/pebble found inside the car, not outside on the road. Moreover the cars on both sides of the road were moving particularly slow at that point of time, so the chances of a pebble flying off wheels is very low. Or is the glass so weak that it could not take a hit from a pebble which can not even be seen by the naked eye?) or build up of pressure inside due to the heat. Can so much pressure be produced given the conditions above? If so, it is a very dangerous phenomenon.

Even though it can be brushed off as a minor incident and no one was injured thankfully, just thought I should share it with the members here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
I did check that the vents were directed upwards.

My suspicion - While I was getting it ICE'd(it was a Magna-Non Option Pack and didn't come with factory fitted ICE), for installing the HU, they had to literally take apart the entire dashboard from the passengers side. I did notice some plastic ducts which resembled air conditioning pipes hanging unconnected. My guess now is that they didn't fit it back properly!

Guess I need to visit the ASS faster than I imagined I would have to!!
Oh and I asked my brother to get this checked while he was there getting the window replaced. Apparently they said a cable/wire which controls this has snapped. On being asked how it could snap on a 3 month old car, he suggested high usage. My brother countered that the car has run only 3k kms, upon this the SA's reply deserves an Oscar. It does not depend on the usage of the car, it depends on the usage of the AC. Apparently Hyundai thinks ACs are on permanently in the car, whether they are being run or not.

Anyways, I figured the ICE installers must have broke it. The part wasn't in stock and they have asked me to come on Sunday and have promised to replace it under warranty.

Last edited by Sinner666 : 3rd May 2013 at 20:16.
Sinner666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 13:45   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Sorry about hijacking your thread mate, but am stuck with a very perplexing situation which has been squirming around in my mind since yesterday.

Sorry sir logged in after some days and hence saw your post only now. Not that I can help much as I absolutely have no idea how it might have happened. I dont think pressure due to heat can create such an effect as my car stands in the sun for around 5-6 hrs everyday.

I think this is an incident which will not repeat itself (hopefully) and was a one off freak accident which happened due to reasons I am not able to understand.

Hope the car is running fine otherwise. And good to hear that your ac troubles have been sorted out
Old 14th May 2013, 15:11   #97
BHPian

Hi Arvind,

I am due to get delivery of my i20 soon. Could you provide a brief write-up on the procedure you followed for running-in your car in terms of the RPMs and top speed over the first couple of thousand kilometers? It would be really useful.

Also, is a change of Engine oil and filter a part of the first service? Based on information in the thread of running-in a new car, it should be 1000 Km.
Virtualaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 09:28   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualaman View Post
Hi Arvind,

I am due to get delivery of my i20 soon. Could you provide a brief write-up on the procedure you followed for running-in your car in terms of the RPMs and top speed over the first couple of thousand kilometers? It would be really useful.

Also, is a change of Engine oil and filter a part of the first service? Based on information in the thread of running-in a new car, it should be 1000 Km.
Hi Virtualaman,

First of all congratulations!! Nice car to own. Is it a diesel or a petrol version and which variant? I did not follow any strict regulations during the running in period. Did not rev her too much and kept the revs at around 3200 rpm (This is max). Usually it was hovering around the 2k mark which would be sufficient for most of the city drives. One trip to Bangalore and back and there the engine was even more relaxes as it reaches 100 in 1900 rpm or thereabouts in the 6th gear.

I did do some sudden burts of acceleration as I liked the spooling up of turbo and the rush which comes when the car is in the zone . Restricted myself to few of those though.

As far as oil change is concerned, Hyundai recommends to change it at 10k only and I followed that approach. At the 1000km service, the oil was not changed. There are different thoughts about this and I chose to go with whatever the manufacturer recommended.

Good luck with your car and wishing you many happy miles (or kms ) with it.
Old 15th May 2013, 10:03   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arvind,

Congrats on your purchase. If it's a diesel you'll relate to my running in. I kept it under 2500 rpm till the first service. At this rpm you also make sure that you are in the power band, but don't stress out the engine. And make sure you idle the car for about 30 secs when you start your day and when you end your day. This will ensure that the turbo gets properly lubricated until it stops/runs at full speed.

The first service is more of an inspection service. No tuning, oil changes are done.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 10:28   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Virtualaman,

First of all congratulations!! Nice car to own. Is it a diesel or a petrol version and which variant?
Thanks! Yes, out of the Swift, Liva, Polo, Fabia and Brio which formed my consideration set, I liked the i20 the best. It's a Petrol Magna (O) Silver. 6.23L on road price.

Quote:
As far as oil change is concerned, Hyundai recommends to change it at 10k only and I followed that approach. At the 1000km service, the oil was not changed. There are different thoughts about this and I chose to go with whatever the manufacturer recommended.
I have thought of sticking to the Team BHP recommendation of keeping under 2500 RPM till 1000KM; 3000 RPM till 1500 KM and then gradually increasing the RPM range thereafter till 2500 KM. Btw, does the manual have any tips on running-in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Congrats on your purchase. If it's a diesel you'll relate to my running in. I kept it under 2500 rpm till the first service. At this rpm you also make sure that you are in the power band, but don't stress out the engine. And make sure you idle the car for about 30 secs when you start your day and when you end your day. This will ensure that the turbo gets properly lubricated until it stops/runs at full speed.

The first service is more of an inspection service. No tuning, oil changes are done.
Thanks! Any tips for a petrol as mine is one?
Virtualaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 11:39   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, out of the Swift, Liva, Polo, Fabia and Brio which formed my consideration set, I liked the i20 the best. It's a Petrol Magna (O) Silver. 6.23L on road price.
Oh all right mine is a diesel though. I went for diesel as I found the petrol a little bit underpowered. And I also wanted to experience the turbo effect of the diesels.

Quote:
I have thought of sticking to the Team BHP recommendation of keeping under 2500 RPM till 1000KM; 3000 RPM till 1500 KM and then gradually increasing the RPM range thereafter till 2500 KM. Btw, does the manual have any tips on running-in?
Yes, the above method should work but I did not stick always to those rules. By and large the car was driven in the 1800-3000 rev band. Anyways its not very useful to take a diesel motor on to higher revs. Did not read the manual much, sorry

Quote:
Thanks! Any tips for a petrol as mine is one?
During the running in period of my swift petrol, I did not take the car above 80-90, with 100 reached once or twice (in the appropriate gears of course. For example no 80 in 3rd gear, ha ha). I had to rely on speed as my swift does not have a tachometer . But it is mighty difficult not to rev a petrol beyond 2.5k as the petrol ones atleast my swift one loves to go on to higher rpms.

Unsolicited: My advice would be to try to stick to the RPM limit but not bother too much about it as it is ok to go to higher rpms sometimes. Drive the car as per your mood. Enjoy it.

Last edited by arvind71181 : 15th May 2013 at 11:42.
Old 15th May 2013, 11:54   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Unsolicited: My advice would be to try to stick to the RPM limit but not bother too much about it as it is ok to go to higher rpms sometimes. Drive the car as per your mood. Enjoy it.
Yes, that's the intention, once the run-in period is done I have heard that this engine is more fun post 2000 RPM.

Btw, any idea if the floor mats have some kind of pins to hold them in place? One of the SAs told me that both options are available - with and without - is this true?
Old 15th May 2013, 14:00   #103
BHPian

The front mats have hook holes which latch on to hooks on the car floor to keep them in place. Back mats have no such things.
Old 19th May 2013, 21:14   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
The front mats have hook holes which latch on to hooks on the car floor to keep them in place. Back mats have no such things.
Thanks.

There's confusion regarding recommended tyre pressure for a Normal load - the manual recommends 33 psi, whereas the sticker on the driver side entrance recommends 30 psi! Is this is a goof up by Hyundai?? Your thoughts?
Old 21st May 2013, 07:20   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.

There's confusion regarding recommended tyre pressure for a Normal load - the manual recommends 33 psi, whereas the sticker on the driver side entrance recommends 30 psi! Is this is a goof up by Hyundai?? Your thoughts?
I keep 32 as pressure all round and find that it works for me. 33 for me is too high especially when only 2 people are there in the car. Try out various pressures and you will find one with which you will be comfortable

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks