Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2013, 13:13   #106
BHPian

re: iGen i20 Sportz CRDi - Ownership report EDIT: Sold after accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I keep 32 as pressure all round and find that it works for me. 33 for me is too high especially when only 2 people are there in the car. Try out various pressures and you will find one with which you will be comfortable
Thanks. I plan to stick to 32 PSI on light and 33 on Full load too.
Virtualaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:24   #107
BHPian

I normally stick to 31 PSI, since i'll be the only one in the car. Full load will be 33 PSI.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:57   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a few doubts on the i20, which I couldn't find out after TD/sales guys had little idea. If perhaps any owner can look into it and tell me I'd be most grateful.

1) Can electric side mirrors be folded out/in manually? What happens if a 2 wheeler hits it (not uncommon in India) forcing it to fold outwards? Can I fold the left one in whilst keeping right open?

2) Can AC vents be shut completely leading to more air from other vents? I find this feature very useful and economical.

3) When do the door-locks kick in? Immediately after ignition or is it speed sensitive? Can post-ignition lock be activated? As I find this most comfortable. Do the doors unlock on its own after ignition off?

4) I read reports that the boot doesn't lock even after central lock is active. Isnt this a huge safety flaw?

5) Regarding the push-button ignition, suppose the key is just outside and someone starts the car, would that person be able to drive off? Isn't this a big safety loophole?

6) How is the rear-seat recline compared to say, Polo or Fabia? My Getz Prime certainly has a more relaxed recine (best in segment perhaps)

I hope I've put my questions out as crisp as possible. In my TD I found that i20 has zero low-end torque and just about acceptable mid-range torque. Getz in comparision is quite a torquer and has fantastic feedback/handling which is a zero again in all EPS vehicles. Any opinion from experts? I feel I cannot live without pure HPS. "Electrifying" a car, be it EPS or DBW has killed pure driving pleasure. Note : Inspite of it all Im very Pro-Hyundai. Thanks for your time & much obliged.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:31   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I have a few doubts on the i20, which I couldn't find out after TD/sales guys had little idea. If perhaps any owner can look into it and tell me I'd be most grateful.
Hi DarkKnight. Welcome to Team BHP. I have recently purchased an i20, so I think I can answer some of your questions.

Quote:
1) Can electric side mirrors be folded out/in manually? What happens if a 2 wheeler hits it (not uncommon in India) forcing it to fold outwards? Can I fold the left one in whilst keeping right open?
No. It is not recommended as per the manual, as there's a risk of damaging the electric motor. Though, I understand where you are coming from, about keeping the passenger side ORVM folded in.

Quote:
2) Can AC vents be shut completely leading to more air from other vents? I find this feature very useful and economical.
Yes, AC vents can be shut completely via the knob just below each vent by moving it from right to left.

Quote:
3) When do the door-locks kick in? Immediately after ignition or is it speed sensitive? Can post-ignition lock be activated? As I find this most comfortable. Do the doors unlock on its own after ignition off?
Auto door locking is a feature ONLY in the sun roof variant called Asta (O) which gets activated above a certain set speed (40 KMPH, I think). Though it's a shame that Hyundai has chosen not to have this option across variants as I agree that it's very useful and is more of a safety feature than a luxury feature. And it doesn't cost them anything. Also, based on multiple reports by Team BHP users who have tried, it cannot be activated by the Service Workshop in other variants, unlike in previous generation i20 where it was possible to do so.

Quote:
4) I read reports that the boot doesn't lock even after central lock is active. Isnt this a huge safety flaw?
I can confirm, this is not true. Be rest assured, the boot does lock when central locking is on.

Quote:
5) Regarding the push-button ignition, suppose the key is just outside and someone starts the car, would that person be able to drive off? Isn't this a big safety loophole?
I doubt that would be possible, as the Immobilizer feature requires the key to be within a certain distance for the engine to remain on.

Quote:
6) How is the rear-seat recline compared to say, Polo or Fabia? My Getz Prime certainly has a more relaxed recine (best in segment perhaps)
No clue on this. By the way, just to share with you that there was a news report few days back that Skoda is planning to discontinue the Fabia, in case you were considering it as a purchase option.

Quote:
In my TD I found that i20 has zero low-end torque and just about acceptable mid-range torque. Getz in comparision is quite a torquer and has fantastic feedback/handling which is a zero again in all EPS vehicles. Any opinion from experts?
Yes, the EPS doesn't provide any feedback and that's not a good thing from a "connected man and machine" perspective. Though, I find it a convenience in city traffic conditions. Regarding the low end torque, yes, that's a negative aspect of the engine one has to live with with an i20. Though based on my limited amount of driving around so far, it's quite decent post 2000 RPM [the petrol version]. And remember, this engine can be revved quite high, perhaps upto 5000 RPM (even though the tacho is marked upto 8000!).

Last edited by Virtualaman : 23rd May 2013 at 10:51.
Virtualaman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:05   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you Virtualaman. I've a few sub-doubts but you did cover most of it. More owner opinions are most welcome in as many aspects as possible. i20 and Verna have far from impressed me. The previous gen Verna and Getz are absolute torque-monsters which I love, with far better build quality where matters - practical. For example the front bumper rubber protection to protect the base from scratches, fabric insets in doors (missing in i20) to provide a soft vibration proof area to rest the hand and manually foldable side mirrors. i20 has been given both a digital speedo and a good ol' dial speedo but watching paint dry is far more fun than watching the painful slow climb of the digital speedo in a petrol i20, while they have omitted real time fuel info available in Euro spec i20. The central locks omission, now that is unforgivable for me at that given price when Santro had it in 2003. It is a real safety feature and a convenience feature. The car IMHO does not need dual roof lamps. My Getz illuminates just fine with one. Its decisions like these that make me wonder what were the engineers smoking? Cost cutting where absolutely essential and throwing in visible bells and whistles. Nothing personal, Hyundai is my favourite value-brand and thats why I need to put this out there. The Apollo tyres are no dandy. Steering, the less said the better .
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:43   #111
Senior - BHPian

most of the questions have already been answered by Aman so will concentrate on the very few

Quote:

Do the doors unlock on its own after ignition off?
Yes the doors unlock on their own once the ignition is turned off. At least thats what I am pretty sure of. Anyway, will confirm if what I have posted is incorrect

Quote:
Not true. The boot does lock when the central lock is active

Quote:
I hope I've put my questions out as crisp as possible. In my TD I found that i20 has zero low-end torque and just about acceptable mid-range torque. Getz in comparision is quite a torquer and has fantastic feedback/handling which is a zero again in all EPS vehicles. Any opinion from experts? I feel I cannot live without pure HPS. "Electrifying" a car, be it EPS or DBW has killed pure driving pleasure. Note : Inspite of it all Im very Pro-Hyundai. Thanks for your time & much obliged.
In the diesel there is a fair bit of lag and post 2000 rpm the vehicle transforms into a beast. EPS is feather light though and my swifts steering feels so much better even though it is also EPS. If you want HPS, then you can probably look at the Figo, or what seems to be most enthusiast's choice, the Punto.

Also, I did enquire about the auto lock feature during my first service and the SA confirmed that it cannot be activated at the service station for the new gen i20s. Pity that as that was something I have on my swift and miss it in the i20.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 18:34   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Arvind for the timely reply, do let me know on any info you may get as time goes on. Yes diesel power delivery is good, infact far ahead of most- its just the functioning as a whole unit that they need to work on. I am not looking at any other brand at all for now. I drive quite less (600 kpm) so I need a petrol. What I enjoy is smooth low-end torque delivery (a quiet 4 cyl unit) which really is useful for city runs.

i20 is a good car - has a decent engine, but for now what I have puts a wide smile on my face everytime
Old 2nd June 2013, 20:37   #113
Senior - BHPian

Some person who has no job decided to take the letters h and u from the Hyundai monogram of the car yesterday. Looks like a sore thumb. Don't know what level of joblessness provokes these guys. Have to get it fixed soon. Thankfully they did not resort to scratching the car. Idiots!!!
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:13   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some person who has no job decided to take the letters h and u from the Hyundai monogram of the car yesterday. Looks like a sore thumb. Don't know what level of joblessness provokes these guys. Have to get it fixed soon. Thankfully they did not resort to scratching the car. Idiots!!!
Costs about Rs.500/- approximately including taxes/labour for a replacement badge the last time I checked. Call the station and order it in advance as they may not keep this particular thing ready. Also avoid parking the car in open/unknown isolated areas as best as possible. People do not respect others property in this country. y ndai sure seems like an odd name. Let me recall a few badges I've seen - T T , VW OLO, and what I used to have - Hyunda . Fill in the blanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 22:01   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some idiot had taken off the "Y" from HYUNDAI couple of months back but fortunately the bloke had left the "Y" there itself on the road. I took the "Y" and got it fixed today during servicing. If I had lost it, chaps at ASC would have replaced the entire logo and would have charged some insane amount for it.

It looks like this after the fix. I need to remove the plaster after 1 or 2 days.
iGen i20 Sportz CRDi - Ownership report EDIT: Sold after accident!-imag0140.jpg
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 10:11   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Some idiot had taken off the "Y" from HYUNDAI couple of months back but fortunately the bloke had left the "Y" there itself on the road. I took the "Y" and got it fixed today during servicing. If I had lost it, chaps at ASC would have replaced the entire logo and would have charged some insane amount for it.

It looks like this after the fix. I need to remove the plaster after 1 or 2 days.
Lucky for you that it was left on the road. My car was not so lucky. Will have to get it done during my next visit to the service center. When my swift got rear ended, the entire SWIFT lettering was replaced just for Rs.125 as far as I remember. So hopefully, it will cost around the same for this replacement as well.

In other news, the car has been chugging along nicely. It made another trip to Bangalore and back and has crossed the 5k mark now. Found out that the wiper fluid got over so filled it up with a mixture of water and cleaning liquid (forgot the name of the brand) which my brother had.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:04   #117
BHPian

Hi Dark Knight,

I have recently purchased an i20 diesel asta and will answer some of the questions.

Quote:
Once when I was driving the car my right orvm was knocked on another car and folded inward a little bit.When i electronically folded and opened the orvm it came to the previous proper position, but now when I open the orvm the right one takes more time than left one to open.So if you manually fold it by hand it may take more time to open next time or get damaged permanently.

Quote:

Only i20 Asta(o) have speed sensitive lock and when i checked with the hyundai service team, they told me that its not possible to activate this feature on any other variant.The door locks will not unlock automatically after ignition is switched off.

Quote:
Boot is locked when central locking is active, please keep in mind that for asta variants if key is in pocket and when you open the boot it opens regardless of status of central locking.

Quote:
When I bought my car I have tested every scenario of the key since I had the same concerns. If the car is unlocked and key is placed every 20 cm away from car, the instrument cluster will show "Key Not Detected".The only place outside the car you can keep the key and start it is on the windshield near to the wiper. When you unlock the car using remote and if you don't

Please let me know if you have any more concerns or doubts.
baludharmarajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 13:36   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks @baludharmarajan for the clarification. Good thing you investigated how the key fob works, I'm curious though what would happen if the engine is started and one tends to move away from the car with the key.. would the engine cut off? (unlikely)

From all the replies here a few things are clear to me :

1) The wing mirrors are more suitable for Europeans than Indians, the rotor mechanism seems to be electro-mechanical relay motors rather than software guided electric sensors which can reset normally after a ding. I still feel this dual opening wing mirrors is not for a country with chaotic traffic.

2) There maybe central lock but a car as advanced as i20 has a manual central lock inside and not an automated central lock available even in Eon?/Santro. Quite foolish.

3) Getz Prime has a plastic cover hook in the back of the front passenger seat and a 2 way relax tilt in the back seats, i20 IMHO has very vertical rear seats, and one cant fully take advantage of its huge legroom.

This makes it quite hard for me to like an i20 after seeing its predecessor. Both have the same platform but everything from there changes.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 14:46   #119
BHPian

Quote:
I'm curious though what would happen if the engine is started and one tends to move away from the car with the key.. would the engine cut off? (unlikely)
I have tested that scenario too. If the engine is started and if you move the key outside of the vehicle, the instrument cluster will show "Key is not in the Vehicle" with a chime sound inside the car. The engine would not stop at this condition, but if you stop the engine you will not be able to start it again without key inside the car.

If you buy the asta variant, ensure the wiper is in off mode before starting the vehicle. While starting the vehicle, in auto mode wiper does a full single sweep as a part of system check and may result in scratches on your front windshield if it is dry. I would change the wiper to auto when rains and change to off before starting the vehicle. The rain sensor is nicely tuned though, as while driving I never had to switch to manual from light drizzle to heavy rains.
baludharmarajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 16:20   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baludharmarajan View Post
I have tested that scenario too. If the engine is started and if you move the key outside of the vehicle, the instrument cluster will show "Key is not in the Vehicle" with a chime sound inside the car. The engine would not stop at this condition, but if you stop the engine you will not be able to start it again without key inside the car.

If you buy the asta variant, ensure the wiper is in off mode before starting the vehicle. While starting the vehicle, in auto mode wiper does a full single sweep as a part of system check and may result in scratches on your front windshield if it is dry. I would change the wiper to auto when rains and change to off before starting the vehicle. The rain sensor is nicely tuned though, as while driving I never had to switch to manual from light drizzle to heavy rains.
You really have thought of all cases haven't you Great attention to detail. Yes the rain sensor is nicely tuned, the only problem being you have to remember to switch it off before you start the car to avoid scratches on the windshield and I kept on forgetting that, so have kept it switched off for now.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed