Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 01:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi

DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-dsc01491.jpg

PROLOGUE

We had a 2002 Maruti Zen which was efficiently serving our family from the last 10 years without any trouble and had clocked 1 lakh kms in its lifetime. Around July 2012, the Zen started showing signs of ageing and since the model was discontinued long back, availability of spare parts became a rare find. So it was time to find a replacement. This new car would be mainly driven by my dad who is currently posted in a small district Jhunjhunu in the state of Rajasthan. Being the "only automobile expert" in my family, I was given the responsibility to research and finalize the chief contenders. Budget was kept around 6 lakhs and hence I started searching the Premium Hatchback market.

The major requirements were:
1. Easy to drive : Since it would be mostly driven in town, the engine must be drive-able all along the RPM range.
2. Revv happy engine : Even my father has an automobile enthusiast hidden in his heart.
3. Comfortable ride quality : Suspension and ride quality played a vital role in the decision as condition of roads in Jhunjhunu was pathetic.
4. Silent cabin : I hate high NVH levels and hence the cabin should be quite.
5. Fuel efficient : No need to explain this, thanks to soaring fuel prices.

PETROL OR DIESEL

My father's office is 5 kms far from our house and hence the monthly running will not be exceeding 500 kms except the occasional highway trips. As a result, there was no use of buying a diesel car since the premium was around 1 lakh on most diesel variants with respect to their petrol counterparts. Moreover, there was news about a diesel price hike in the pipeline and therefore it was decided that we would only be focusing on the petrol variants.

CHIEF CONTENDERS

Maruti Suzuki Swift
At my home, "Maruti" is nothing less than a synonym for the word "cars". It was only me who stressed to take test drive of other cars in the segment too or else my father would have straightly booked any Maruti product. Went to Vipul Motors in Jaipur and took a test drive of a white Swift zxi.
Positives:
1. Gem of an engine. The 1.2L k-series engine is one of the best engines I have ever driven. It never runs out of breath and has sufficient torque available on tap all across the RPM range. This makes it quite drive-able in the city and helps in easy overtaking on highways.
2. Ride quality is pretty decent. Though I was not able to test it on poor roads but the way it handled speed beakers and occasional pot holes was good enough for a comfortable ride.
3. Refinement. This was something I was experiencing for the first time. When the Swift is standing idle with engine turned on, the NVH levels are so small that I felt as if the engine is off. As you proceed across the RPM range, sound starts penetrating the cabin, but it never irritates you, not even above 4000 RPM. This was something I really loved about the Swift.
4. We have a Maruti Dealer and authorized Workshop in Jhunjhunu itself so service and maintenance would be a bit easy.
Negatives:
1. I am not a big fan of the all black themed interiors.
2. The rear design looked awkward to me. AFAIK, no one has said this on Team-BHP yet, but I really don't know why I thought the rear to be shaped unnecessarily bulbous.
3. The boot space was small. But this can be rolled out since it would mostly be my Father and Mother travelling in the car as I live in Jaipur.
Decision:
I liked the Swift and kept this as an option.

Hyundai i20
Went to Morani Motors, Jaipur for a test drive. The dealer experience was much better than Maruti. A test drive was arranged within 5 minutes of my arrival.
Positives:
1. Interiors and exteriors are designed perfectly. It has adequate flare inside-out.
2. Spacious interiors. IMO, the space of i20 is comparable with many sedans.
3. Equipment list. On the basis of equipment given, the i20 is truly a VFM car.
4. Availability of authorized service station in Jhunjhunu.
Negatives:
1. Severely under powered engine. It was so dull that I often felt as if the hand brake has been pulled up.
2. The steering is too light to my liking and does not provide the required feedback.
3. Hyundai's after sales service are always costly.
Decision:
Due to poor engine, the i20 was ruled out straight away. I wish Hyundai had planted a better mill under the hood of this beautiful product.

Ford Figo
Went to KS Ford, Jaipur and was horrified with the way they treated potential customers. I entered the showroom, receptionist was busy on phone and signaled me to sit on a table situated far away from the reception. I was sitting on that table for about 10 minutes and not even a single Sales Agent came to entertain my wish for a Test Drive. At last a Test Drive was arranged after half an hour of my arrival.
Positives:
1. Good build quality.
2. Better looking interiors than the swift. but still i20 leads this characteristic.
3. Engine was good to drive regularly. In other words, it was ok ok types.
Negatives:
1. Looked old as compared to its newly launched or facelifted counterparts.
2. Absence of a Ford dealer in Jhunjhunu meant we had to take it all the way to Jaipur for service,etc.
Decision:
Don't know what happened, but we didn't take the Figo seriously and soon it was automatically out of our list.

VW and Skoda were not considered due to their poor Service experiences, and avoided Tata owing to its pathetic build quality.

And so it was finalized that we will be booking a Maruti Suzuki Swift vxi in September 2012, once my father takes a TD.

Last edited by dZired : 10th March 2013 at 14:01.
dZired is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 13:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver DZire vxi

As decided, I along with my father, went to the Maruti dealer in Jhunjhunu (Audi Motors) for a TD of the Swift. To our surprise, there was no Swift TD vehicle available. As a result, we took the quote for all the petrol variants of the Swift and came back home. After few weeks we had to go to Rohtak, a district in Haryana, to attend a marriage. On our way, I saw a Maruti dealer and decided to take a TD for my father. The dealer experience here was superb and soon my father was driving the TD vehicle. He was satisfied with my choice and I thought that now the deal is sealed in favor of the Swift.

Now let me remind you, it was decided earlier that our new car would surely be a hatchback, and hence I never considered the entry level sedans as an option. But things and priorities were about to change. When we reached the showroom after taking the TD, a white new DZire was waiting to be delivered, which caught my father's attention as soon as he stepped out from the Swift. Noticing my Father's interest in the DZire, the Sales Assistant took us inside the showroom and showed us a glistening grey DZire. A TD of DZire was unavailable at the moment so we could only look at the display vehicle. Father sat inside the DZire and he was instantly blown away by the premium atmosphere of the cabin. We took the quote of all petrol variants of DZire and came back. I completely forgot to take a quote for the Swift too.

Then many discussions took place at our home and finally, DZire came out as the winner.

VARIANT AND COLOUR?

The top of the line zxi variant was out of our budget and I hated the black ORVM's and door handles on the bottom line lxi variant. Moreover, the vxi came with features like music system with four speakers and central locking, which made it quite VFM. So the vxi variant was finalized.

Now came another difficult task, what colour? Mother said white, sister said torque blue, I said glistening grey, father decided to keep all of us happy and finalized Silky Silver.

And finally, a Silky Silver Dzire vxi was booked on 29th October, 2012 at Audi Motors, Jhunjhunu.
We asked the SA to try and give the delivery around Diwali, due to spiritual reasons, to which he replied that he will try his best but he promised to give the delivery maximum by November end. And so the wait started.

Diwali came and went, but there was no response from the Dealer. When we called the SA, he used to give silly reasons like: Maruti is not making petrol DZire from some weeks, small cities like Jhunjhunu are not assigned cars quickly, blah blah blah. On 10th of December, I went to Jhunjhunu and inquired about our booking status from the dealer. I even talked to the owner of that dealership, but he was also not sure about the exact delivery date. So we decided to put the order on hold for a month, and wait for the 2013 model to arrive.

Enter 2013. I called the owner of Audi Motors on 10th January and got the reply that Maruti's plants remain closed for the first two weeks of January for maintenance purpose and so we would be getting the delivery after 20th of January. I asked him to call me whenever the car comes to their stockyard so that we can do a PDI. I conveyed the same to my SA, but he looked a bit confused on the idea of a PDI as if I was the first customer asking for such an obligation. And hence the wait continues.

On 22nd January, I got a call from the SA that my car has arrived and I can do the PDI. Since I was in Jaipur, I e-mailed the team-bhp checklist to my father and asked him to do the PDI. When he reached the dealer stockyard, the car was being unloaded from the delivery truck. He did a thorough PDI and called me to inform that everything is fine. I checked the VIN number (thanks to wildon's exceptionally helpful thread), which my father gave me, and found that it was a January 2013 manufactured vehicle. Hurray!!

We asked the dealer to go ahead with the registration process and informed him that we would be taking the delivery on Sunday, 27th January.

DELIVERY
I went to Jhunjhunu on 26th January and was eagerly waiting for the next day. On Sunday, father, mother and I went to the dealership at 11 AM (we had told the SA that we will be coming around 10 AM) to take the delivery. Delivery experience was quite satisfactory, though the SA came after 15 minutes of our arrival. Paper work was finished within half an hour and the car was cleaned thoroughly by the guys. 5 liters of petrol was poured in by the dealership. We got a steering cover and floor mats as free accessories. But the quality of floor mats provided was too poor to be used. All in all, I was happy with the proceedings at the dealership, because the guys worked quickly even when there were around 8 deliveries that day. A Pooja Kit was also provided and after completing all formalities, we left the dealership at around 1 PM.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-dsc_0003.jpg

Last edited by dZired : 11th March 2013 at 23:08.
dZired is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 23:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

INITIAL OWNERSHIP REVIEW

A lot has been said and discussed about this car at team-bhp and we have some great reviews of the DZire including the very comprehensive official review by GTO and initial ownership review by tubokick. Hence I would like to add a few points to the above mentioned reviews which I too have observed during my ownership till now.

Exteriors
When the new DZire was launched back in February 2012, everyone was eager to look at how Maruti engineers could manage a sedan having a 1.2L/1.3L engine and still keeping it under 4 meters of length. Frankly speaking when I first saw the new DZire in flesh, I was not at all a fan of its design as the short boot made the looks dis-proportionate. But as time passed and the roads started flooding with new DZires, I started liking the looks of the car and even our very own GTO would agree with me as he also posted the same in some thread here. There is no doubt that this car is not a proper sedan, it is rather a notchback.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-dsc01484.jpg

As mentioned by many, the boot looks great when viewed in isolation.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-dsc01471.jpg

But feels a bit awkward when viewed dead-on from the side.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-dsc01490.jpg

The chrome strip is a Love it or Hate it design. I personally love it.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-6.jpg

The face has certain characteristics which differentiate it from the swift.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-7.jpg

Wider air dam and new grille. I like the grille present on the swift but the dzire's grill is easier to clean.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-8.jpg

Fog lamps get new hexagonal housing and arches surrounding it.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-9.jpg
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-10.jpg

I know I may sound stupid because no one has said this before, but I am in love with the new swept back headlamps of the DZire. IMO, they are brilliantly designed.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-11.jpg

The fit and finish of the exteriors is more than satisfactory and the panel gaps are uniform throughout...
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-12.jpg

... except those near the rear lights.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-13.jpg

ORVM's get integrated blinkers, which play a vital role in enhancing the looks of the car. They also feel more sturdier now.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-14.jpg

Petrol variants now get the VVT badges at the sides like the DDiS badges in their diesel counterparts.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-15.jpg

Bas naam hi kaafi hai (the name says it all)
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-16.jpg

Engine, Suspension, Handling and Mileage
The 1.2L K series engine is one of the most talked about engines in the Indian Automotive Scene. This engine is great to drive, has enough power all along the RPM range and gives the driver enough confidence for comfortable overtaking on the highways.
The suspension setup works pretty well on uneven roads and one does not really feel each and every bump inside the cabin. The car though starts rattling over speeds above 120 kmph. But it does not show major signs of body role, even at high speeds.
Steering feedback is perfect and the car points exactly in the direction you want it to go. Due to the reduced length, parking in tight locations becomes quite easier too.
The car is giving around 15 kmpl in city and a recent trip to Jaipur yielded a mileage of around 21 kmpl.

Last edited by dZired : 12th March 2013 at 00:43.
dZired is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 00:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Interiors

When you sit inside the DZire, you are immediately sold to the premium feel of the cabin, thanks to the use of dual tone (beige and black) plastics. IMO the cabin looks comparable with cars from the upper segments, like the city and vento.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-17.jpg

Steering feels good to hold and gives appropriate feedback.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-18.jpg

I didn't like this particular gap between the horn and steering wheel.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-19.jpg

Why didn't Maruti give the silver thing around the horn which is provided in the AT variant? (pic from tbhp's official review)
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-marutidzire02.jpg

The speedometer is easy to read and looks fantastic at night. The MID serves its purpose too.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-21.jpg

A closer shot to show the textured plastics.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-20.jpg

The driver and passenger side AC vents can be closed completely.
Name:  22.bmp
Views: 61475
Size:  996.4 KB

Central AC vents and factory fitted Head Unit. I am not at all an audio-holic and for a person like me, the OE system is good enough.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-23.jpg

The cabin gets plenty of storage spaces.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-24.jpg
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-25.jpg
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-26.jpg

Gear lever feels good to hold and has short throws.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-27.jpg

Chrome door lock levers look good and break the beige monotony of the doors...
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-28.jpg

... so does the faux wood on front doors...
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-31.jpg

... but the rear doors don't get the faux wood and hence look a bit plain.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-32.jpg

Though the plastics used on the dashboard are of good quality, the power window switches and the indicator stalks used to operate the MID are inferior.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-29.jpg
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-30.jpg

The foot well is neatly designed and pedals are adequately spaced.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-33.jpg

Sun visors are big enough to serve their purpose.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-34.jpg

Passengers get a vanity mirror too.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-35.jpg

Reversing the DZire is a tricky job because the rear view is restricted by the outward inclined speaker tray, head rests of rear seats and the stop lamp.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-36.jpg
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-37.jpg
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-38.jpg

Back seats are soft and are inclined spot on to ensure a comfortable ride.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-39.jpg

The space though is quite tight, but the beige color makes the rear too look spacious.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-40.jpg

The boot is smaller than most sedans but is adequate for a small family...
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-41.jpg

...and is equipped with a bulb which is very helpful at night.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-42.jpg

Last shot of the review. Illumination of the cabin.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-dsc_0015.jpg

And with this, I conclude my review by stating that if you love driving and can compromise a bit on the rear and boot space, the DZire is a car you should pick.

Thanks for reading!!!

Last edited by dZired : 12th March 2013 at 02:12.
dZired is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 12:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 14th March 2013, 13:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Went for the first service yesterday. It included brake oil and coolant top up, entire interior and exterior polish, and air filter clean up.
Total cost was Rs 42.
The car has run 1054 kms till date.
Old 14th March 2013, 13:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car!!! Nice review there. How much did the car cost? Would you have not got the Swift Zxi with the same cost as the Dzire, unless the slightly larger boot space was a requirement?

Also, I guess the rear seat comfort of the Dzire is better than that of the Swift right? That is one point in clear favour of the Dzire
arvind71181 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 15:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting Dzired.
How much was the OTR for th zxi version ?.
At the boot , could you please let us know where exactly is the bulb located , as i could not make out from picture.
One small request, get rid of those plastic and the towel , it doesn't look good.
For the steering, you can get the same painted , or you can check with MASS itself if they can do it for you .

Drive safe .
Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 16:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats from one Dzire owner to another!
I own the previous gen-model and a diesel variant but the philosophy of owning the car is the same - Dzire was and will always remain the Heart Car!!
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 17:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Congrats on the car!!! Nice review there. How much did the car cost? Would you have not got the Swift Zxi with the same cost as the Dzire, unless the slightly larger boot space was a requirement?

Also, I guess the rear seat comfort of the Dzire is better than that of the Swift right? That is one point in clear favour of the Dzire
Second your opinion here unless you need the boot the safety features of the zxi surely would outweigh the luxury of the boot. IMHO all cars should have ABS as a standard fitment across all variants. Drive safe and enjoy your drive.
docaxe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 20:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Would you have not got the Swift Zxi with the same cost as the Dzire, unless the slightly larger boot space was a requirement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
Second your opinion here unless you need the boot the safety features of the zxi surely would outweigh the luxury of the boot. IMHO all cars should have ABS as a standard fitment across all variants. Drive safe and enjoy your drive.
I totally agree with your views. The main reasons why we preferred DZire over the swift were:
1. Face-lifted swift had a smaller boot than the previous generation. But that could have been compromised because, as I have mentioned in the review, there would only be two people (mother and father) mostly in the car and hence the luggage can be kept at the back seat (if needed).
2. The dual tone interiors were the main reason that my father got entirely sold for the dzire. I never liked the all black interior theme of the swift and the rear design also stood like a sore thumb. On the other hand, the interiors of the DZire looked more premium.
3. And as you said, the back seat comfort in the DZire is at a much higher level than its hatchback sibling.
Moreover, we have a swift at my uncle's residence and hence bringing one more swift didn't look sensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
At the boot , could you please let us know where exactly is the bulb located , as i could not make out from picture.
One small request, get rid of those plastic and the towel , it doesn't look good.
The bulb is located at the bottom of the speaker tray. The below pic might clear you doubts.
DZire gets fulfilled : 2013 Silky Silver Maruti DZire Vxi-dsc01488.jpg

And I have already removed those towels and plastics and installed beige colored PU seat covers. These pics were taken within the first week of ownership and hence those towels were kept as a temporary protection to the seats.

Last edited by dZired : 14th March 2013 at 20:50.
dZired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 10:33   #12
BHPian

Congratulations! It is indeed a good car except for

1. Cramped legspace at the back.

2. It is impossible to figure out where the engine hood ends

3. The body shell is more than the glass area which leads to less airiness feeling inside.

4. The speaker area at the back slops upwards which makes reversing a tad difficult.

I know all this as my father owns and driver an AT Dzire. Also wanted to know as to how much is it giving in terms of fuel efficiency? AT at present is giving 13.5 to 14 kmpl in city with 50% AC and a daily grind of 30 kms. Is the braking system adequate as I have heard bad reviews about the same in the new Dzire (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ake-issue.html). AT has ABS with EBD (Zxi braking kit) so braking in it is brilliant.
Old 15th March 2013, 11:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
I know all this as my father owns and driver an AT Dzire. Also wanted to know as to how much is it giving in terms of fuel efficiency? AT at present is giving 13.5 to 14 kmpl in city with 50% AC and a daily grind of 30 kms.
AT giving a mileage of 14kmpl in city is fantastic!!! Are the roads relatively traffic free? My swift (old gen 1.3) gives me a mileage of around 12-13 on relatively free roads . Not that I complain about it.
Old 15th March 2013, 21:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Also wanted to know as to how much is it giving in terms of fuel efficiency? AT at present is giving 13.5 to 14 kmpl in city with 50% AC and a daily grind of 30 kms. Is the braking system adequate as I have heard bad reviews about the same in the new Dzire.
I have mentioned the FE figures in my review above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
The car is giving around 15 kmpl in city (50% AC and a recent trip to Jaipur yielded a mileage of around 21 kmpl.
Till now I have not found any problem in the braking aspect. Even I have heard bad reviews about DZire's braking capabilities but have not got the chance to test emergency or hard braking. For regular commuting, the brakes give more than sufficient response.
Old 15th March 2013, 22:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on purchasing an awesome car! Yeah, it's not a proper sedan, but who cares! It's sexy to look at, has a classy cabin and overall comes with Jap reliability! Your review was spot on, mentioning all the finer points with a good set of pictures to complement it!

BTW, that gap on the horn pad is a little recess for the horn pad to sit when it's pressed. Also, remember the same steering is used to fit an airbag in the ZXi/ZDi models. Hence, the horn pad is designed to accommodate the same and deploy the airbag in case its triggered.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed