Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2013, 21:02   #16
BHPian

Congrats on the beast doc. You've given it as much attention to detail as your duke.

The beast looks really posh in that color especially in those delivery pics. One thing I don't understand is why the dealer presses for certain color choice? I mean is there some requirements from the company to sell specified number of cars for each color?

Thanks for the well detailed thread and I hope that it becomes as famous and a goto guide as your other thread.

Please post some more pics of the beast on the highways wish you many happy miles with beastie !!

Regards.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 21:42   #17
BHPian

Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Many many congratulations .

The beast looks awesome in black.

Its great to see the Storme reaching the same cult following as the earlier Dicor one.

Please do post some more pics of the interior's .

Drive Safe.

Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 22:21   #18
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

A wonderful addition to the garage ebonho. The BEASTIE is stunning.

The Storme looks striking in black. Love those clear lens headlamps. Congratulations.

Wishing you many many happy miles with your new acquisition !!
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Congratulations Ebonho! Wish you many pleasant miles ahead! Waiting for some actual utility reports on the jump seats.
Currently its more novelty than utility. With the kids opting for the 3rd row, and as often as not folding up the seats and sitting on the floor. I need to get a thin gadda made for that area or probably one large enough for the entire floor once the middle row is also folded away. And keep it folded in the 3rd row area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Congrats on the beast doc. You've given it as much attention to detail as your duke.
Thanks bro. I'm not really a car guy, but the Storme does excite me as a touring companion. Sadly both of us being docs, its really difficult for my wife and I to coordinate leaves together.

Quote:
One thing I don't understand is why the dealer presses for certain color choice? I mean is there some requirements from the company to sell specified number of cars for each color?
Sometimes they may have unsold stock in a crtain color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Many many congratulations .

The beast looks awesome in black.

Its great to see the Storme reaching the same cult following as the earlier Dicor one.

Please do post some more pics of the interior's .

Drive Safe.

Thanks buddy! I'll post photos of the interirors onc the accessories are fitted. Curently its all still got the plastic which I am resisting removing till the accssories guys are done with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
A wonderful addition to the garage ebonho. The BEASTIE is stunning.

The Storme looks striking in black. Love those clear lens headlamps. Congratulations.

Wishing you many many happy miles with your new acquisition !!
Thanks bro!

On the headlamps, mine are currently on "0". When you move the setting to 1, 2, and 3, the beam actually dips downwards. I was trying to get the throw to further down the road. Any setting for that guys?

Some other questions and points (Beastie is now at 700 kms):

1) What tyre pressures to keep. I have 32 front and 35 rear. Is that the reason for the "boauncing" to an extent?

2) Any solution to the water dripping from the rear wash and wipe nozzle?

3) How long to warm the car when you start and for how long to keep it running before shutting off?

4) Has anyone figured out how to do the audio display "dimming" setting when the headlights are put on? Please do share!

5) When does one use the rear fog lamps? Only in fog, or in normal city and highway traffic as well. Reversing also?

6) Unlike my Baleno, in the Storme I cannot put on the front fogs without putting on the main headlights. So its really impossible to make out how bright they are or what their beam pattern is.

7) Now that I am reading other ownership reports, I realise that the sound to my right is not a rattling but more like a squeaking (like rats at night). Its probably from a seat spring or something.

8) Wildlife problem. I have a puppy (actually an adolescent now) and there our adoptive cat's 3 kittens are also now grown up but refuse to leave. They have been taking shelter under my Baleno up until now, and now they find a new comfortable apartment on top of the sump guard of the Storme.

This drives my doggie wild and he chases them and tries to get at them. Often clambering on to the side of the cars, and leaving his claw scratches behind. The scratches are not through the paint, but they are pretty clear and I am at my wits end what to do.

An help with from fellow wildlife sufferers would be greatly appreciated! I cannot keep my pup chained or cooped up indoors, and the cats are too quick for me to catch and strangle.
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:35   #20
BHPian

Henry Ford once said "Any customer can have a car painted in any colour he wants so long as it is black". I would say "A car can look good in any colour, so long as it is black". And trust me we both are right lol

I think I have been more frustrated than doc(ebonho) in last two years, for Storme launch so that he could pick one for himself. He has not only read every forum and every thread, he has in all probability read them multiple times. Kept very close eye on development and scoops of merlin(now Storme) and has bugged every friend and acquaintance in Safari fraternity.

Doc you have not only gone into details of Safari Storme but also detail it out here very nicely. However, I would still say, even though its new platform, Storme will keep on surprising you. I was blown away when I came to know that my 8.1L Safari LX has all "one touch down" power windows. Soon you will also notice how much fun it is to climb a ghat section in a rear wheel drive.

I am hooked to this thread now, as I know there is lot more interesting stuff coming our way. Bring it on!!! Encore Encore!!!
throttleking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Henry Ford once said "Any customer can have a car painted in any colour he wants so long as it is black". I would say "A car can look good in any colour, so long as it is black". And trust me we both are right lol

I think I have been more frustrated than doc(ebonho) in last two years, for Storme launch so that he could pick one for himself. He has not only read every forum and every thread, he has in all probability read them multiple times. Kept very close eye on development and scoops of merlin(now Storme) and has bugged every friend and acquaintance in Safari fraternity.

Doc you have not only gone into details of Safari Storme but also detail it out here very nicely. However, I would still say, even though its new platform, Storme will keep on surprising you. I was blown away when I came to know that my 8.1L Safari LX has all "one touch down" power windows. Soon you will also notice how much fun it is to climb a ghat section in a rear wheel drive.

I am hooked to this thread now, as I know there is lot more interesting stuff coming our way. Bring it on!!! Encore Encore!!!
ha ha ha yes I can vouch for Sagar's frustration all the way from the Dicor to the Merlin to the Storme.

Standard Doc-Sagar telephone call goes like this:

--------- [the main body of the conversation - usually Bullets and bikes and riding] -------------

then

Sagar: Doc, when is your Storme coming?

Doc: When #$@^&$##@ TATA is going to launch it man? Any inside info?

Sagar: [Proceeds to give whatever inside info he has]

followed religiously by

Sagar: Buy the SAFARI Doccccc!

Doc: [a combination of wistfulness and frustration] N00000 maaaaaan, already waited this long, no sense in now buying the Safari. Anyways it is close to launch, might as well wait. [famous last words ......]

Post Script: These conversations have been ongoing since BEFORE Auto Expo of Jan 2012, and this "close to launch" tried my patience for a whole year!

Anyways, she is here now, and that's all that counts every time I look at her.

Every time I climb into her (I am 6' tall and can just about slide my backside partly over the edge of the seat in the lowest position without putting my leg on the footboard), smell her new car smell, and crank her in the morning and she settles into her rumbling idle.

Every time I shut her down and she judders (yes, the seat and the gearlever - love it - the only thing still truck like about the Safari's "sophisticated" avatar!) to a halt!

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd April 2013 at 17:04.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Bro, here you go the pictures of your beastie

Thread at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3068083

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ics-here-1.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ics-here-2.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ics-here-3.jpg
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 22:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Some other questions and points (Beastie is now at 700 kms):

1) What tyre pressures to keep. I have 32 front and 35 rear. Is that the reason for the "boauncing" to an extent?

3) How long to warm the car when you start and for how long to keep it running before shutting off?

5) When does one use the rear fog lamps? Only in fog, or in normal city and highway traffic as well. Reversing also?

6) Unlike my Baleno, in the Storme I cannot put on the front fogs without putting on the main headlights. So its really impossible to make out how bright they are or what their beam pattern is.
1) yes, having higher PSI would make the drive "bouncy". I keep 32 all around in my DICOR and it suffices.

3) 30 seconds both after start and before shut. However, in one of the forums, someone mentioned [Happywheels or LukeSkywalker, I guess] that the need for idle is to maintain the RPM around 1000 just after/before start/shut respectively and the same can be achieved by driving around that RPM in the parking drive-way. For example, in office or apartment parking premises, we obviously can not rev hard.

5) I would use it only during the foggy condition. The reverse has a pair of white lights already in DICOR and I hope the same continues with STORME.

6) DICOR front fogs come up with the parking lamp itself, not necessarily the headlights position of the stick. Please check and confirm.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Turns out there is a small nozzle in the red glass of the roof spoiler brake light, which is dripping water - every time the car shudders to a start and every time the car shudders to a halt. I guess its the rear wash n wipe spray nozzle - but my question being, is this sort of "drip incontinence" normal? (actually its more stress incontinence LOL)

P.S. Thanks for your wishes, Sommos and Neel!
I guess the the windscreen washer reservoir has been filled with borewell water. Even I faced similar issues when the front windscreen in my previous Indica used to have white dots of dried water which were out of reach for the wiper and they were very tough to remove. Also the nozzle used to clog every week with whitish deposits. I never paid attention that I was using hard borewell water. Filling the reservoir with soft water is the only solution in my opinion!

Now I fill the windscreen washer tank in my figo only with RO water and to my relief there are no more white spots and clogged nozzles even after 3 years! I also notice that water seeps out of the nozzle on the bonnet on a very hot and sunny day. But no spots on the bonnet.

By the way, congrats for the Beast! I guess yours is the most comprehensive ownership log on the storme till date. Enjoyed your writing style and attention to detail. I would suggest to stick some transparent or black durable sticker on the rear bumper to protect the paint scuffing.

Drive Safe!

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 2nd April 2013 at 23:13.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 09:56   #25
BANNED

Wishes ebonho

The monster looks majestic in black and it'll keep you smiling everytime you look at
sivadeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
1) yes, having higher PSI would make the drive "bouncy". I keep 32 all around in my DICOR and it suffices.
Thanks for the pointers bro!

Only when driving solo or even for long trips with people and luggage? The manual suggests 32 all around for solo and 32 front 35 rear for "laden" (no clarity on what constitutes "laden" - a quick mental maths calculation puts combined weight of my family at around 300 kilos).

Quote:
3) 30 seconds both after start and before shut.
What is this supposed to do? What about diesel drivers (especially buses and trucks) who rev a couple of times before shutting off?

Quote:
5) I would use it only during the foggy condition. The reverse has a pair of white lights already in DICOR and I hope the same continues with STORME.
Ya the white light comes on during reversing.

Quote:
6) DICOR front fogs come up with the parking lamp itself, not necessarily the headlights position of the stick. Please check and confirm.

Prem.
The Dicor has headlight controls on the stalk right? The Storme has a rotary knob on the dash, first clockwise is parking lights and all internal dash, HU, A/c, etc. lights, second position is the headlights, then you need to pull it out one click for front fogs and one more click (like a watch's bezel key) for the rear fogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I guess the the windscreen washer reservoir has been filled with borewell water..........Filling the reservoir with soft water is the only solution in my opinion!
Thanks for the great tip bro, you are exactly right! The reservoir has ben filled at the SVC and they have this issue of their water leaving whaite marks when dry.

How to drain the reservoir? Is there a single reservoir for both front and rear wipers?

Quote:
By the way, congrats for the Beast! I guess yours is the most comprehensive ownership log on the storme till date. Enjoyed your writing style and attention to detail. I would suggest to stick some transparent or black durable sticker on the rear bumper to protect the paint scuffing.

Drive Safe!
Thanks bro! Yes, I will see about getting some soft non-skid type cladding stuck for the tail gate painted ledge. Also need to figure out if I need to get a stool permanently put inside for the kids to get off. Anyways, since both me and my wife are aranoid about the tailgate opening while driving, the child lock is permanently on there, so on halts, I would be the one going backside to open the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadeep View Post
Wishes ebonho

The monster looks majestic in black and it'll keep you smiling everytime you look at
Thanks buddy. She makes me smile whenever I look at her for sure. As well as whenever I drive her.

The gear shifts are definitely slotting in much better now, as both the beast is getting used to my hand movements, and I am getting used to the beast's exact sweet spot position for each gear (actually the smothening was only needed between 1 to 2 and 2 to 3).

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th April 2013 at 15:22. Reason: Fixing quote tag.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congrats ebonho and welcome to the league. Wish you a happy ownership experience for many many miles.

Quote:
...Black will never go out of style, and for me it is THE quintessential Safari...
Great men think alike .

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:19   #28
BHPian

I dont know about different reservoirs of the Storme.I guess there must be a single reservoir upfront. In one of the experiments, I added shampoo to the water and it was useless. To empty the tank I turned on the wash/wipe switch for 30-40 seconds till it ran dry. I guess this is only the solution to drain!
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Congrats ebonho and welcome to the league. Wish you a happy ownership experience for many many miles.

Great men think alike .

-BJ
Thanks bro!

Looking at your garage makes me wonder.

If we did a poll of Safari owners, how many of them would also be Bullet riders?

I am thinking upward of 7 out of every 10.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 12:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

One minute idling before and after the drive saves your turbo. i strictly follow them on all my cars.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks