Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2013, 11:16   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
@ebonho: His vehicle is at the yard and he has he has his own set of interior pics now. Someone is very prompt I must say...!!!
Bro sorry about that. In the interim (if you have ben following my posts on the Safari Storme and 3M/Waxoyl thread) my truck went to the accesories guy for fitments and came back with a ton of scratches which has been taking up most of my energies recently. Photographs of different nature have ben doing the rounds.
Old 8th November 2013, 15:47   #122
Senior - BHPian

Audio gurus, I need your help in figuring out my speaker/amp upgrade for my Storme please! All help, inputs, advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ml#post3287825
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:13   #123
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, as per instructions from the factory, this is how the rubber grommets for the water outflow are supposed to be fitted.

Please note where and how many. Hope this clarifies with regard to the doubts most of us had on the Storme thread.

FRONT DOOR/s (2 grommets; none under speaker)

Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX-front-door-copy.jpg

REAR DOOR/s (2 grommets; none under speaker)

Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX-rear-door-copy.jpg

TAILGATE (no grommets for all 4 slots/holes)

Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX-tailgate-copy.jpg

Hope this helps!
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 17:58   #124
Senior - BHPian

Leakage discovered from the sump. By me when I was bending below the car to check all the shockers that had been replaced under Warranty.

Took it to the National guys. They opened the sumpguard plate to check where the leakage was from, etc.

Torqued all the bolts and said that they would clean the area and see whether it recurs and from where it recurs.

Do you guys think that this is a big enough leakage to warrant change of gasket (It looks ghastly but its not dripping, just oil mixed with dirt that seems to have been there for some time now .....)?

Or should I do what they are suggesting (retorque and check) - because they say in diesel engines unlike petrol engines this area is under high presure and also because of the increased vibrations etc. the bolts could and do get loose and this amount of seepage/weep is normal?

Also I asked them if they do open this to change the gasket what they plan to do with the oil that comes out - recycle back or put new. I was obviously worrie about contamination from outside dirt stuck to the sump area etc. They said they would be putting new oil but I just wanted to know whether that is the normal practice at the various TASS's especially for new cars that are still under warranty?

Please advise!

FRONT VIEW (heavy, more towards left)

Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX-dsc05290.jpg

LEFT SIDE (more)

Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX-dsc05291.jpg

RIGHT SIDE (less)

Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX-dsc05292.jpg

LEFT SIDE - FAR

Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX-dsc05299.jpg

BOTTOM (relatively dry, no fresh/wet dripping)

Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX-dsc05293.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 24th December 2013 at 18:26.
Old 24th December 2013, 18:20   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Leakage discovered from the sump. By me when I was bending below the car to check all the shockers that had been replaced under Warranty.

Took it to the National guys. They opened the sumpguard plate to check where the leakage was from, etc.

Torqued all the bolts and said that they would clean the area and see whether it recurs and from where it recurs.

Do you guys think that this is a big enough leakage to warrant change of gasket (It looks ghastly but its not dripping, just oil mixed with dirt that seems to have been there for some time now .....)?

Or should I do what they are suggesting (retorque and check) - because they say in diesel engines unlike petrol engines this area is under high presure and also because of the increased vibrations etc. the bolts could and do get loose and this amount of seepage/weep is normal
This is not normal. I can show you pictures of Hariya (Scorpio) who is much elder and does not leak oil. This is a clear case of either a few sump bolts being loose or a cut gasket.
Get the bolts tightened and clean the place completely using diesel and detergent. Then check it after 2-3 days of usage. If the leaks are back then have the gasket replaced. Also have fresh engine oil put in and do not use the old oil.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 18:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is not normal. I can show you pictures of Hariya (Scorpio) who is much elder and does not leak oil. This is a clear case of either a few sump bolts being loose or a cut gasket.
Get the bolts tightened and clean the place completely using diesel and detergent. Then check it after 2-3 days of usage. If the leaks are back then have the gasket replaced. Also have fresh engine oil put in and do not use the old oil.
Thanks Dev. Frankly I would just simply change the gasket, but don't know whether its advisable to let the TASS guys do this on an almost factory fresh engine. I mean are there some special gasket sealants, method of curing, etc. done in the factory or is it safe to have the TASS do this? This is the only thing that makes me think that it might be better trying the retorque and observe instead of empirically changing the gasket. Wouldn't have given a second thought if this was a Bullet. Is the Storme (or Safari) very different?
Old 24th December 2013, 19:07   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Is the Storme (or Safari) very different?
No it is not. The engine oil sump is bolted into place and there is no adhesive in it. You can use gasket sealant if you feel like though it is not required generally.
Old 24th December 2013, 19:25   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, not normal. But I want to see a comparison between apples and apples. Not apples to oranges
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 19:42   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yes, not normal. But I want to see a comparison between apples and apples. Not apples to oranges
Meaning Storme and XUV500?

Why? Is it that these newer engines are more stressed/under greater oil pressure compared to the older Safari Dicor and Scorpio ones?
Old 24th December 2013, 20:16   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Meaning Storme and XUV500?

Why? Is it that these newer engines are more stressed/under greater oil pressure compared to the older Safari Dicor and Scorpio ones?
Simple - these are two different manufacturers. Two different engines. They will be different. Even two engines in the same vehicle model will show differences. The reasons can be many - cannot generalize them/

Devdath owns a Scorpio - Not a XUV500.
And from what he says, does he mean to say that ALL Scorpio's are leak proof ? And that all Tata vehicles have leaks ?

Last edited by condor : 24th December 2013 at 20:38.
Old 24th December 2013, 21:58   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@ebohno:

Regardless of whatever vehicle devdath owns, leading crank case cover is not normal for any vehicle the apple storme or the orange CRDe, and the silly story they gave about high pressure diesel engines causing this leak is also not normal. Have the area cleaned and see if the retorqing of the bolts help. If not, ask them to change the gasket. This is caused either by loose nuts or bad gasket. Not sure about the storme, but most newer cars used silicon FIPG (Form In Place Gaskets) that are applied from a Tube. If it was not applied properly also this can happen.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 13:00   #132
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And from what he says, does he mean to say that ALL Scorpio's are leak proof ? And that all Tata vehicles have leaks ?
Ask me what I mean. Simple no?

NO engine should leak oil to the extent that Doc's Storme has and if it does, it should be rectified and not considered normal. Also, whatever the TASS has told Doc is not correct.
Old 25th December 2013, 13:22   #133
BHPian

Before further action i would definitely recommend to completely clean that sump area/sump cover(of course after retorqing of the bolts) and run the car as normal for 2-3 days and observe that sump area / sump cover again for any new oil marks/oil traces. From there you can take a call whether it needs any further attention or not.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 13:52   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ask me what I mean. Simple no?
I have already said in that post that it is not normal. Did you mean something else ?
Old 25th December 2013, 15:58   #135
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone, dev, condor, 4x4addict, madhu for your inputs and confirmation.

I thought about it overnight, and today decided to go back to National and ask them to retorque all bolts properly and got all three underbody plates removed (surprised they were fiber and not metal like in the Dicor) and every part of the sump and the gearbox thoroughly cleaned with diesel and then rubbed dry and then the car taken for a proper underbody pressure wash, afte which the whole underbody was air dried and the plates refitted back.

The TASS guys suggested I needed to drive the truck a bit for the leak to reappear properly. They definitely do not feel 2-3 days would be enough (depending on my driving) and first suggested around 500 kms at least, but if that is not possible, at least 200 kms before getting the truck back for a re-check.

They managed to find the gasket (by cross checking with the truck's chassis number). Its a normal asbestos paper gasket with a central raised plasticky blue ridge with circular surround around the bot holes. Cost is 152 rupees. And yes, it is covered with a sealant compound before fitting and tightening the bolts, per the TASS head technician.

However, as er the TASS head technician, the oil is not going to be replaced, as consumables are not covered in warranty. Whatever leakage shortfall is there would be topped up in warranty only. The Storme sump takes in 7 liters of oil and it is fully synthetic oil from the factory. They did assure me that the oil would first be drained out through a thoroughly externally cleaned drain bolt, into a completely clean tray, before they actually open the sump up.

What do you guys think? I have taken Extended Warranty in addition to the company warranty as well as the Silver AMC (which covers all services and consumables till 50,000 kms). In the Storme the oil is changed only at 15,000 kms and my truck has only covered 5000 kms up till now. Is there a service at 5000 kms as well?

Last edited by ebonho : 25th December 2013 at 16:00.

Most Viewed