Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 16:46   #166
BHPian

Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Hi Ebonho

Have you had the time to check the underbody - oil leakage from the sump.
I am sure it wont appear again and i hope i am right .

Kindly update on that
Old 9th January 2014, 17:44   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Hi Ebonho

Have you had the time to check the underbody - oil leakage from the sump.
I am sure it wont appear again and i hope i am right .

Kindly update on that
Yes bro, been putting on the kms and pushing the truck so that I give it all the opportunity, pressure, and distance to leak properly once again in case it is gasket, casing, threading,blow hole, or something else. Have completed around 800+ kms since then so I guess that should be enough. Was waiting for the last shocker to arrive in Spares (Tata Motors Spares division has some local issues at the stockyard in Hinjewadi which has delayed spares throughout the country - otherwise being Pune, we normally get the parts relatively quickly and painlessly).

Anyways the shocker has finally come and I have told them to replace the shocker, check the leakage (and rectify if necessary), and also do whatever was needed from a second servicing perspective (main thing being the tyre rotation which is supposed to be done at 5-5500 kms - though the service advisor surprisingly claimed it was too early and not needed - I put my foot down and informed him that if Tata felt it was needed, then it was needed PERIOD).

Plan to be WITH my truck while all this is being done so that I am sure they actually do replace the shocker and are careful with the oil. Since I anyways have to change the oil during the soon coming 3rd free service, will change the oil then under the AMC and use the truck on the same oil for another month and a half max till the end of February. Hope it wil not be needed and the oil leak has not recurred. Will keep you guys posted.

They refuse to use any other oil than what has been recommended by TATA. So no Shell Helix HX6 or Delvac 1 (if you do then they make you sign at your own risk waiver - no way am I going to sign on any such thing). Given the choice of the 3, I am trying to get them to get me the Mobil instead of the Castrol which all 3 TATA ASCs in Pune are using. Also, if they do have a fuly synthetic oil (am trying to find out if they do and which one it is) then I am trying to figure out if the AMC can cover the mineral oil amount equivalent and me the rest, though it looks tough operationally from what they have told me about the computerized system and the process followed between ASC, AMC, and TATA service reimbursement department.

Last edited by ebonho : 9th January 2014 at 17:48.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 18:01   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
.. the tyre rotation which is supposed to be done at 5-5500 kms -
Was a little surprised and so I checked the manual again. The rotation is to be done at every service - 1000 / 5000 / 15000 & then at 30000 km.

I'm sure most SA's / TASS / owners will miss the first two - and do the rotation at 15000 only.
Old 9th January 2014, 18:09   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Was a little surprised and so I checked the manual again. The rotation is to be done at every service - 1000 / 5000 / 15000 & then at 30000 km.

I'm sure most SA's / TASS / owners will miss the first two - and do the rotation at 15000 only.
Bro are you sure about the 1000 kms? I thought the first one was at 5000 kms.

@madhu33 - will drive Beastie to the workshop myself on Monday (appointment confirmed) and get the shocker and oil leak assessment done in front of me. The actual replacement of the gasket etc. if needed will take a minimum of 3-4 hours if its just the engine oil sump, and its a 2 day job if there is some packing or gasket to be replaced of the gearbox or "front engine casing" .....

Keeping fingers crossed man .....

Last edited by ebonho : 9th January 2014 at 18:14.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 18:44   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bro are you sure about the 1000 kms? I thought the first one was at 5000 kms.
Checked the manual before I posted

page 144
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 02:02   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Checked the manual before I posted

page 144
In that case I seriously doubt they did it on mine at least. No way to check now. An SOP should be followed regardless of opinions or pet closely held beliefs of the "right" way to do a job.

TATA has an SOP that the moment you car hits the ASC the service advisor is to call the customer with feedback then once again mid day and then once before dispatching the vehicle.

I have gone blue in the face but invariably end of the day the service advisor is either not available or is on a test drive, and when finally I get through my truck is already en route and invariably I get it back when its dark - so that nothing can be seen or checked on the spot.

Last edited by ebonho : 10th January 2014 at 02:26.
Old 10th January 2014, 11:13   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
............... from what they have told me about the computerized system and the process followed between ASC, AMC, and TATA service reimbursement department.
Seriously, do not go for this oil hanky panky.
Tata uses TM 1000(Mobil) or Castrol GTX Turbo. Both are API-CH4, and will last the entire interval unless your vehicle is overheating or something.
To get AMC and extended warranty, you have to make sure every procedure is followed to the T.
In my vehicles case, the service center forgot to change the clutch oil at one service, and it was done later. Extended warranty for master cylinder 40,000kms after that incident was refused. And this was a new master cylinder(it had been replaced after that incident).
So their extended warranty division is really painful.
At every service make sure everything written in your manual is done.
Even if manual says the service adviser has to do break-dance on the roof of the safari, make him do it, and take a video for proof.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 11:26   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Seriously, do not go for this oil hanky panky.
Tata uses TM 1000(Mobil) or Castrol GTX Turbo. Both are API-CH4, and will last the entire interval unless your vehicle is overheating or something.
Bro what are your views on fully synthetic oil for the Safari? Significant difference then I might decide to pay out of pocket for it in spite of AMC. But the problem is even though you are filling a superior oil, their reply is the same - sir, we will fill only TATA recommended brand oil per owners manual and AMC. So Delvac 1 does not look possible.

Also of the Mobil and Castrol, in your experience, which is better?
Old 10th January 2014, 11:48   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bro what are your views on fully synthetic oil for the Safari? Significant difference then I might decide to pay out of pocket for it in spite of AMC. But the problem is even though you are filling a superior oil, their reply is the same - sir, we will fill only TATA recommended brand oil per owners manual and AMC. So Delvac 1 does not look possible.

Also of the Mobil and Castrol, in your experience, which is better?
Any recommended mineral is fine. Mobil is supposedly better. But then I have been happy with CRB Turbo too.
Do not go for external oil. Later this may create problems with AMC/Extended warranty
On mineral oil your engine will happily do 150,000+. without overhaul. No issues.

TM1000 is Tata recommended and available at many workshops.
Replace at exact interval specified eg 15000kms.
If you do mountain driving, you can do an extra out of pocket engine oil change at 7500
But if you do 10,000 20,000 30,000 they can come and say
Manual says change oil t 15000, you did not do so, so booooo

Last edited by tsk1979 : 10th January 2014 at 11:49.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 11:52   #175
Senior - BHPian

On the discussion regarding oil change intervals, is it recommended to change the oil at every 10000kms all though TML is recommending only 15000 km intervals ? I have gone for the Gold AMC and when I checked on the possibility of changing oil at more frequent intervals than the recommended under the AMC, I was told I can only do it at my own cost.
Old 10th January 2014, 12:08   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Narayan, the AMC is based on published service schedules, and hence any extra changes will not be considered. Basically there is a cost involved.

So when the oil is changed, the oil filter must also get changed. Each oil change would be 3.5k approx. A direct hit on their margins.

Last edited by condor : 10th January 2014 at 12:11.
Old 10th January 2014, 12:29   #177
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to one of my friends who has a new Safari Dicro and does at least a couple of Pune-Mumbai's a week. His Dicor has already closed in on 40,000 kms in the 2 years he has had it. I asked him about my shoulder pain issue and he immediately aske me about my seat position. Apparently the trick is to keep the seat closer (than the spread out laat sahib position I have it on currently) so that the arms are more flexed and you are closer to the steering, and can hold it lower, thus your shoulder muscles not needing to hold up your arms for prolonged periods of time. Will try this on my next highway drive!
Old 10th January 2014, 12:39   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Holding the steering wheel at 10.10 position on the clock may feel good initially, but it tires your arms. Even if the steering wheel appears to support the fore-arms, the weight is still on the upper arms /shoulders.
Best is to hold the corresponding positions on the lower half of the steering wheel.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 14:52   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Narayan, the AMC is based on published service schedules, and hence any extra changes will not be considered. Basically there is a cost involved.

So when the oil is changed, the oil filter must also get changed. Each oil change would be 3.5k approx. A direct hit on their margins.
Condor - so is it ok to stick to the 15k schedule or should one spend from one's pocket and change oil more frequently ?
Old 10th January 2014, 15:43   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
On the discussion regarding oil change intervals, is it recommended to change the oil at every 10000kms all though TML is recommending only 15000 km intervals ? I have gone for the Gold AMC and when I checked on the possibility of changing oil at more frequent intervals than the recommended under the AMC, I was told I can only do it at my own cost.
You have to understand the extended warranty folks will not see it this way.
LEts say service interval says
Oil change at

You change oil at
At 55000kms something goes for a toss.

The extended warrant folk will say. No oil change at 45000. So no warranty for ya. Booooo.
Trust me. I have faced this.

Most Viewed