Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 20:36   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

When you go to media, is there an option for bluetooth streaming, along with all your other sources like CD and USB? If there is no option then its not possible.

I believe its only an option with the larger iDrive, though I may be mistaken.
There is no such option and I think you haven't mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I think that this depends on the model version. I am not sure that the base version gets the Hi-fi system and/or advanced bluetooth which allows for music streaming.
So far according to me, even sport line doesn't get the bluetooth streaming however it has Hi-fi music system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The base variant does not allow music streaming from phone via BT. But allows calls via the BT.

Is the speaker set up detailed above standard across the range? Any idea whats the configuration on the base model of 320d?
drmohitg, my car also doesn't have facility of bluetooth music streaming. Will wait for Bluebeem's reply and if it's working in his car then will call BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post

It's available in the smaller idrive but only with the hifi music system in sports or luxury line.

The base model comes with a 4 speaker stereo system and does not allow Bluetooth music streaming.

That said, BMW has now upgraded the headlights for the base model so I'm not sure if they've made an upgrade to the music system also in the base model.
I have a sport line and it doesn't have bluetooth music streaming. Are you sure about this feature being standard with the smaller screen idrive? Is it working in your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling_stone View Post

If you see this screen under CD/Multimedia then it is possible to stream music via bluetooth.
My car's iDrive doesn't have this option. Which variant is your 320d?
Old 20th January 2014, 20:45   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
There is no such option and I think you haven't mistaken. So far according to me, even sport line doesn't get the bluetooth streaming however it has Hi-fi music system. drmohitg, my car also doesn't have facility of bluetooth music streaming. Will wait for Bluebeem's reply and if it's working in his car then will call BMW.
I use only Bluetooth music streaming in my car and I've connected my iPad and both my phones to it.

Yes it is standard in all sports line and luxury line cars that are 2013 manufactured or after that. Mine is a Jan 2013 model.

The 2012 sports/luxury line cost 32.25 lacs and had no sunroof and a 4 speaker music system (no Bluetooth streaming). My brother has that car.

Anyway try this.
Go to the phone connectivity menu
Connect your phone with Bluetooth
Once your phone is connected, press "option" next to the idrive knob near the gear lever.
There it'll give you 3 options : Phone , secondary phone and Bluetooth music streaming.
Check the music streaming option.

Once that is done, press the audio/music button near the iDrive knob
Select external devices > Bluetooth > "Your phone"

Last edited by Bluebeem : 20th January 2014 at 20:48.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 20:50   #93
BHPian

Quote:

I use only Bluetooth music streaming in my car and I've connected my iPad and both my phones to it.

Yes it is standard in all sports line and luxury line cars that are 2013 manufactured or after that. Mine is a Jan 2013 model.

The 2012 sports/luxury line cost 32.25 lacs and had no sunroof and a 4 speaker music system (no Bluetooth streaming). My brother has that car.

Anyway try this.
Go to the phone connectivity menu
Connect your phone with Bluetooth
Once your phone is connected, press "option" next to the idrive knob near the gear lever.
There it'll give you 3 options : Phone , secondary phone and Bluetooth music streaming.
Check the music streaming option.

Once that is done, press the audio/music button near the iDrive knob
Select external devices > Bluetooth > "Your phone"
Thanks Bluebeem. Will try it in sometime and let you know.

My car's VIN points to Oct-2012 but it has sunroof and other features that you mentioned except the bluetooth music streaming. However will try what you wrote and see if it's working.

Last edited by the_skyliner : 20th January 2014 at 20:52.
Old 20th January 2014, 21:13   #94

Quote:
My car's iDrive doesn't have this option. Which variant is your 320d?
It's 320d sport line. VIN traced to May 2013.
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:12   #95
Team-BHP Support

Re: My 2013 BMW 320d Luxury Line - Review & Updates (over the 2012 model)

Quote:
Thanks Bluebeem. Will try it in sometime and let you know.

My car's VIN points to Oct-2012 but it has sunroof and other features that you mentioned except the bluetooth music streaming. However will try what you wrote and see if it's working.
Its actually just coding which needs to be done to enable it. From 6NH to 6NK or something like that. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone in India who can do it, but if you want to get it done badly there are sites like Bimmer Tech who will do it for a fee.
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:51   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Its actually just coding which needs to be done to enable it. From 6NH to 6NK or something like that. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone in India who can do it, but if you want to get it done badly there are sites like Bimmer Tech who will do it for a fee.
Thanks akshay1234.
I am not really keen on it as I find it quite inconvenient to stream music via bluetooth. Was just curious to know why it is not there in my car.
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:23   #97

Quote:
Thanks akshay1234.
I am not really keen on it as I find it quite inconvenient to stream music via bluetooth. Was just curious to know why it is not there in my car.
Try getting the software updated at the showroom. They did have a major Bluetooth update for F30 in 2013. Maybe that solves the problem.
Also, bluetooth music streaming is inherently cumbersome and music quality "radio like". The best way to enjoy music is using the USB port in the armrest. Try a USB 3.0 stick with CDs or MP3 ripped through a media manager such as "MediaMonkey". It allows tagging the album artwork that is compatible for display via the iDrive. Online music database allows automatic recognition of the ripped CD with song/album/artist name. Ripping music at a bitrate of 320 gives excellent dynamic range that does justice to the subs under the seats though you would need at least a 16 GB stick to get reasonable number of albums on board. The music is then searchable under both album names as well as artist - works well and intuitively - without any lag!

Last edited by rolling_stone : 22nd January 2014 at 17:26.
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:38   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling_stone View Post
Try getting the software updated at the showroom. They did have a major Bluetooth update for F30 in 2013. Maybe that solves the problem. Also, bluetooth music streaming is inherently cumbersome and music quality "radio like".
I would disagree on the music quality. I think the music quality is as good or bad as a cd or usb. I listen to the music many times by connecting the phone with a usb cord. Quality remains same and consistent as Bluetooth streaming which I use more often than not.

Inherently unlike radio frequency receivers, Bluetooth music streaming does not affect sound quality. I Have Bluetooth music docks at home as well. Sound quality remains perfect.

I don't think the software update solves the issue. My brother's base F30 underwent the upgrade in June. No affect on the Bluetooth streaming AFAIK. But I will crosscheck again.

There are many F30s around the world that seem to be facing a similar problem. Especially in Canada.

As Akshay1234 mentioned above, it requires a recoding job. And the recoding requires a version of iDrive in which a combox is placed in the trunk.

Either way the recoding is a very cumbersome job which includes dismantling the entire dash and central armrest console. I don't think anybody should do it.

If anyone is absolutely particular on playing music through bluetooth, I think installing one of the many products offered by "Parrot" may be a good idea. They seem quite nifty.

Does your sports line allow Bluetooth streaming ?
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:50   #99

Quote:
I would disagree on the music quality. I think the music quality is as good or bad as a cd or usb.
Actually that is true. The music I have on my smartphone is usually 128 or 160 bitrate vs 320 bitrate music on to the USB. Therefore the comparison may not be fair! Having said that, all bluetooth receivers are not the same. In my personal experience bluetooth streaming in my old cars was horrible compared to much better bass and less crackling when connecting the same phone to the same HU via USB. I haven't really tested FLAC or 320 bitrate music streaming on the 320d yet, that may be a good idea to try out...

Quote:
Does your sports line allow Bluetooth streaming ?
Yes it does. I use it mostly to play podcasts or occasional music that I have on the phone but not on the USB. One thing I dislike about playing music via streaming is that one can only go forward or back one song using the car controls. If I want to randomly search for songs while driving I have to pick up and fiddle with the phone. Using USB is more fun since the album cover/ song name/ album name/ artist name are all displayed on the iDrive screen and a quick flick of the controller brings the remaining song list on display. The steering thumb wheel adds to the convenience - since while driving one can scroll through the song list and select the songs using the additional display at the bottom of the instrument cluster as well. This display makes it much easier to "keep an eye on the road and hands on the wheel" while listening to the roadhouse blues!
Old 24th January 2014, 09:22   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Checked it today. My baseline 320d with Xenons doesn't come with bluetooth music streaming. Only the telephone function works via the bluetooth and the BMW apps ofcourse.
Old 24th January 2014, 09:34   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Checked it today. My baseline 320d with Xenons doesn't come with bluetooth music streaming. Only the telephone function works via the bluetooth and the BMW apps ofcourse.
How do you work the BMW apps?
Old 24th January 2014, 10:43   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How do you work the BMW apps?
I didn't use it but it showed me a message that data connection is on and be aware that it may incur charges by your service provider. So I assume I can use the phone's data connection to use the apps.
Old 24th January 2014, 10:47   #103
Senior - BHPian

I do not think any data connection can be done by bluetooth by any phone. AFAIK, BMW apps require BMW connected drive which requires BMW assist and a 3g sim card connection in the iDrive, which I don't think are offered in India.
Old 24th January 2014, 21:27   #104
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't use it but it showed me a message that data connection is on and be aware that it may incur charges by your service provider. So I assume I can use the phone's data connection to use the apps.
The data service is for the BMW Live which was added for all the variants after the 15th August price hike. Apparently you can get news feeds, etc on your iDrive screen. I'm yet to take the delivery of my car so can't say much but this is what the data connection is for.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 13:08   #105
BHPian

Just upgraded the software on my car. It was a pretty simple procedure.

Here's the version of software before updateMy 2013 BMW 320d Luxury Line - Review & Updates (over the 2012 model)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390635141.833085.jpg

Downloaded the latest software from the BMW.com website

Go onto BMW OWNERS section
- CONNECTED DRIVE
-SOFTWARE UPDATE

the website will ask you for your VIN number. Once you put that in, it'll suggest a list of upgrades.

Download the software onto a pen drive and plug it into the USB of the car.

Go to software on the idrive screen and press upgrade. Takes about 3 mins to upgrade.

Here's the upgraded version My 2013 BMW 320d Luxury Line - Review & Updates (over the 2012 model)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390635357.498769.jpg

Didn't have time to see what differences the upgrade has brought in. The PDF Said that it has stability and compatibility improvements among other things.
Bluebeem is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed