Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 08:06   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post

Yes the 255 go on the same wheel. Saves u changing new wheels. And also my car used to oversteer a lot with 235 and it doesn't do that now on 255. The rubber doesn't grind on the well until you upgrade to really huge ones. I put in 255/65/16. It goes pretty well with the car
Won't it increase the load on tyre sidewalls (near the rim) and affect tyre life? What about splashing of mud onto side panels? If not, its an excellent idea!
YGarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 16:36   #107
BHPian

Re: Tata Storme - 'Chauffeur driven perspective'

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
Won't it increase the load on tyre sidewalls (near the rim) and affect tyre life? What about splashing of mud onto side panels? If not, its an excellent idea!
The 255 on the same steel rims on dicor don't prtude out if the well. They actually fill the well so mud is not a probalem at all don't know about the storme as they changed the wheel well size in storme. I have driver for around 25000km now on the new tyres. No problem as of yet
V12Doc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 13:57   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Then again who is buying the safari for back seat comfort??
I did. One of the primary reasons was comfort level of the middle row. Depth of the bench, leg room, under thigh support, optimum firmness of the cushion material, angle of recline, height from where the window starts and the large windows.

Wife just visited the showroom once and tried only the middle row and the decision was made. I agree with her on the middle row factor, but I liked the Storme for many, many other reasons too (Compared Duster, XUV 500, Force One and to some extent Pajero Sport and Fortuner)
redracham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 08:56   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redracham View Post
I did. One of the primary reasons was comfort level of the middle row. Depth of the bench, leg room, under thigh support, optimum firmness of the cushion material, angle of recline, height from where the window starts and the large windows. Wife just visited the showroom once and tried only the middle row and the decision was made. I agree with her on the middle row factor, but I liked the Storme for many, many other reasons too (Compared Duster, XUV 500, Force One and to some extent Pajero Sport and Fortuner)
Again, it's better than other ladder on frame SUVs, as I mentioned earlier. On bad roads I find my monocoque body duster much better in the back seat.

When I say who buys a safari for back seat comfort, I'm referring to the premise that the decision to buy a ladder on frame SUV (thereby suboptimal back seat comfort) is already decided -- if not, then the safari back seat pales in comparison to an innova, a duster, and even an aria on uneven roads. That's because of a high center of gravity and ladder on frame construction. That's the reason why the innova back seat is a better place to be than the fortuners.
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:56   #110
BHPian

Congratulations are due (albeit 8 months late!!)

Welcome to the unholy world of TATA service, and from what I can see, you've had your fair share of it already! Honestly? As soon as the warranty expires, move lock stock and barrel to a good mech outside - who will do a fine job of everyday looking after for the Storme. (I speak from the experience of owning a Safari for the better part of 6 years!)

I'm intrigued at how vehemently you feel about the back seat comfort (or lack thereof) of the Storme. I have to honestly say, if we were being driven anywhere - pretty much our entire clan would be scrambling to get first dibs on the rear seat of the Safari! It's been rated the most comfortable bench on any car south of 30 lakh (that might be a slight exaggeration - but I'd rate it close myself) which is why I'm truly surprised at your reaction to it!

I can only assume that the change in the underpinnings of the Storme from the Safari have somehow destroyed the ride quality (and I'm not even getting into all the ladder on frame vs monocoque deal, because it's apples and oranges to be honest) That's a shame, because the Storme had started growing on me of late.

Anyhow, this engine (and shell) can rack the miles up pretty dang well, so enjoy her. She really is a tank!!!

Cheers
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 13:32   #111
BHPian

70,000 KM REPORT

Hi Guys

Its been a while, and I haven't updated you on the car for a bit. The Storme hit 70K kilometers last week, and so far its been a solid car. Here are my points of observation after having driven the car a fairly long time:

1. RIDE COMFORT:
I have completely switched 100% to the front seat with the driver driving. The back seat is very uninviting, and no one likes to sit in the back seat. So much so, that when I had to take a long drive out of town, the family chose to go in a smaller car rather than a safari, because one of the guys refused to sit in the back seat of the Storme. That said, the front seat is amongst the best places to be in any car in India.

I also have noticed that air pressure plays a HUGE role in the Storme for ride quality. I keep the tires at about 31. If you're at or over 32, you're going to be bobbed around so much in the car, and its noticeable - now even the family knows when there too much pressure in the tires by the way that it bumps around

2. MAJOR REPAIRS:
- Had to get new tires at about 60K. Got the same Bridgestone Duellers at about 6900K/piece. No noticeable improvement in ride quality immediately after tire change.
- Had to do major work on the suspension at about 65,000. Cost was about 25K.

3. MAJOR PROBLEMS
I had a breakdown in the middle of Delhi. Even though my service package includes free breakdown assistance, I really had a tough time. The car needed to be towed to the service station, and the Tata customer care line promised that a truck is coming in about 30 minutes, and this truck basically kept us waiting for over 5 hours, and then stopped picking up his phone. Tata meanwhile would tell us overtime we would call them for status that their truck would take 30 minutes more. Finally, we just paid for towing and towed the car to the TASS, and the recovery truck never really showed up (because we never got a call from the truck saying we are here, where are you). Very frustrating experience.

4. Driving experience: After the previous service, although the handling of the car has become better and more car-like, but I have lost all power. I am sending it back to TASS today, and will keep you updated about what they say. there is a noticeable drop in performance. I suspect that theres a clutch issue, as the car is now near 70K. Other Safari owners -- when did you get your clutch replaced?

BEST FEATURE:
The best feature by far is the 'Automatic lane clearing' feature that a White Safari has. I truly feel frustrated when I drive any other car now, because Im not used to people cutting me off at all in the Saf.
OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:
I am overall satisfied with the purchase. The service of Tata is not GREAT, but then I had a Skoda last, so my expectations from service are pretty low, so Im OK with this. Also, I test drove the Endy and the Fortuner recently as possible upgrades, but then gave up on them because they were not significant upgrades over the Saf, compared to the $$ they they wanted as a premium. As a completely brand-unconscious customer, I don't think that either the Fortuner or the Endy are 2X the car that the Saf is -- but yes, I wish I had better resale value on this car.

Overall - would I have bought it again with the benefit of hindsight? Yep.

Last edited by torquing_points : 29th February 2016 at 13:36.
torquing_points is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 21:00   #112
BANNED

Quote:
Other Safari owners -- when did you get your clutch replaced?
I am not a Safari owner but a clutch replacement at 70k km is a tad early. However, since you have a driver, it is expected. Clutches, with good usage should easily last 100k km.
Old 29th February 2016, 21:35   #113
BHPian

Quote:
70,000 KM REPORT

when did you get your clutch replaced?

Overall - would I have bought it again with the benefit of hindsight? Yep.
I was a Safari owner till about 2 weeks ago !
I changed my first clutch in 22K KMs. Yes, you read it right. It was all my bad driving [new to Diesel then] and the best contribution is the Bangalore traffic.
But, the second clutch is still going well. Its now running 90K on ODO and am running on the clutch that was replaced in 22K.

Getting a clutch for 100K on a DICOR may be a dream since the STORME [latest] is coming up with Self adjusting clutch that has warranty till about 100K for it.

You should NOT worry for replacing the clutch on 70K.

Prem.
Old 6th March 2016, 06:05   #114
BHPian

So turns out that I had to get the clutch replaced. It was on its last legs, and that's why I was losing power.

So now I have new tires, new suspension and a new clutch...
Old 27th January 2017, 09:37   #115
BHPian

With great sadness, I have to report that I have sold the beast with 85K on the odo. It was starting to give some issues on air conditioning, and since I needed a new car soon anyway, I decided not to get it fixed.

Here are some closing thoughts:
1. The Tata ownership experience was surprisingly good. I had fewer issues than I did with even my Honda (Civic), and I would highly recommend Tata cars to anyone who is considering one. Just keep in mind that youre buying a truck, and it wont be as maintenance free as a hatch, so expect some issues here and there. But know that Tata does a great job solving them.

2. I really really miss the front seat leg room on the passenger side, as I was driver driven. There is no other car by far with this level of comfort on the front seat

3. There was NOT ONE rattle in the car even after 85K KM. Twice in the ownership, I heard some rattles, but they were sent to the dealer and immediately rectified pronto. Most came from the really really really bad roads I drive on

4. The visibility of the Beast from the drivers seat was absolutely unparalleled at any price point. The MASSIVE windows and large rear glass also make it a great place for long rides, as one never feels claustrophobic

5. While the Saf could handle any roads you throw at it, it was truly in its element on highways. When taking it on a trip, it was thoroughly planted on highways, extremely comfortable for all passengers, and had SPACE

6. The bad part of the Saf was that it is very high - so the center of gravity was high, so on uneven roads, you really get tossed around. But if you want super high GC, then this is a problem you have to deal with

7. It had started to look severely outdated even to me. They really need to refresh it!

Overall, I would highly recommend the Storme to anyone willing to consider it. I said it when I bought it -- no one buys a storme as an alternative to an Innova. You only buy it because you WANT a Safari. The reason many people dont end up buying it even after wanting it is usually the expected iffy after sales from Tata and the build quality. But having owned one for 85K KMs, I am certain that when your heart pushes you to buy the Saf, your head wont regret it.

I have moved on now to an Endy, and while the Endy is in a different league when it comes to the cabin and refinement levels -- I have to say, I really miss the Safari.
torquing_points is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 15:29   #116
BANNED

Quote:
I have moved on now to an Endy, and while the Endy is in a different league when it comes to the cabin and refinement levels -- I have to say, I really miss the Safari.
Now those are heart felt accolades coming from an owner and hold completely true.

What is also very comforting is the fact that you've been happy with their service too and that speaks a lot for the brand.

A few areas where the Safari scores over the Endy are:

Ride quality.
Space in the first two rows.
Upkeep costs (TML AMCs are really hard to beat)

Congratulations and waiting for your new ownership thread now...!!!
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 16:54   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
What is also very comforting is the fact that you've been happy with their service too and that speaks a lot for the brand.

A few areas where the Safari scores over the Endy are:

Ride quality.
Space in the first two rows.
Upkeep costs (TML AMCs are really hard to beat)
Sir, not just happy with their service -- happiest amongst all cars I've owned. Maybe this is because I had a Skoda before this, so I had low expectations -- but really, this was excellent.

Also, the visibility from anywhere inside the car is unmatched. I prefer the ride quality of the endeavour though especially in row 2.
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 21:28   #118
BANNED

Quote:
Also, the visibility from anywhere inside the car is unmatched.
Yes, I missed that. This is primarily due to an LR trait TML has been borrowing/copying from a long time called the "Command Seating" position. It sounds more like a marketing term but isn't.

Quote:
I prefer the ride quality of the endeavour though especially in row 2.
Yes, the Endy is definitely more stable due to its new age chassis/suspension and a lower CG. However, it isn't as spacious a 3 seater as the Safari is, and, with an experienced driver (on the Safari), the ride in the first two rows can actually be sublime.

PS: I somehow suspect your driver and tire pressures.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks