Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:47   #136
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
if the pricing is within 40K of the Dzire, the Amaze would be my choice.
Agree. I'm interested only in the petrol AT and I get the following over the DZire AT:
  • Dual airbags
  • Alloys
  • Fatter tires (175 vs 165)
  • Electrically foldable ORVMs
  • Steering-mounted audio controls
  • Rear defogger
The DZire AT retails for 8.2 L OTR in Bangalore. The Brio AT is available for 7.5 L OTR. It will be sweet if the Amaze AT Vx is available for less than 9 L OTR.
Of course, it remains to be seen if Honda applies the same logic
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:56   #137
BHPian

Honda waited, watched, worked quietly in their backyard on their diesel play in India and have come out with what someone interestingly called the "National Car". Variants, features, pricing vis-a-vis the Dzire notwithstanding, I feel that this car will be a far bigger success for Honda than even the legendary City brand. My predictions for the Amaze are:

* The car will consistently appear in the Autocar top 10 cars sold list over the next few years, selling over 100k units by March 2015
* Diesel will outsell petrol at least 3:1, unless the progressive subsidy reduction in diesel makes the yawning economy gap between petrol and diesel substantially smaller
* Like it or not, the commercial segment may lap up this car over Etios/Dzire/Verito/Indigo. I totally see myself jostling for space with a lot of Amaze Taxis on the Bangalore Airport run in 6 months time
* Brio will get cannibalized for sure, although the Brio/Amaze combine will rack up good numbers for Honda starting April/May 2013

Having been a Honda fan in yesteryears, it brings a smile to finally see good times ahead for a brand that ruled the roost in this country but were severely setback by the emergence of the lop-sided diesel economy. Go Honda!
skjlives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:06   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Nishath View Post
Unfortunately,it is that particular group which gets into trouble in case of a serious accident.You'd be amazed (no pun intended) at the number of road fatalities that can be avoided each year by having airbags and ABS in a vehicle.It is sad,that in India, there is very little value for human life.
I agree with your above statement.

Quote:
I believe manufacturers(Toyota in this case) are equally culpable as they do not incorporate these safety features as standard in their products,rather going the optional route to demonstrate their "flexibility".
I could agree with this too and I guess you should have stopped here, the point was well taken.

Quote:
At the end of the day,customers opting for a higher variant should get the safety features.The manufacturer owes it to them.
Above statement, sorry - I cannot agree with this, so you are saying the "value of human life" applies only to customers opting for higher variant? Manufacturer "owes" (if at all) "safety" to all customers equally.
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:25   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
Agree. I'm interested only in the petrol AT and I get the following over the DZire AT:
  • Dual airbags
  • Alloys
  • Fatter tires (175 vs 165)
  • Electrically foldable ORVMs
  • Steering-mounted audio controls
  • Rear defogger
The DZire AT retails for 8.2 L OTR in Bangalore. The Brio AT is available for 7.5 L OTR. It will be sweet if the Amaze AT Vx is available for less than 9 L OTR.
Of course, it remains to be seen if Honda applies the same logic
Add 5-speed AT to this as well , as the Maruti Suzuki cars are 4-seed ATs.

However, the Honda's Earth Dreams diesel are inherently viby in nature as compared to Fiat sourced MJD, & the vibes are felt in the cabin at the time of cranking the engine & in higher revs even in the 1.6L in UK spec Civic (as per Autocar UK & Autoexpress reviews).

Last edited by CARDEEP : 3rd April 2013 at 12:33.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:30   #140
BHPian

Enquired for bookings at deccan honda, pimpri. Sales guy asked for 50k as booking amount. No cancellation charges before 11 Apr. 2% of ex showroom vehicle cost if i cancel booking after 11 apr. And he says these are standard conditions across. Is it so?
Display vehicle will be available only on 11 apr.
Not booking without seeing the car.

Edit: enquired at another dealer. Booking amount - 21k without cancellation charges.

Are dealers free to charge different booking amounts with different conditions?

Last edited by bigwheelz : 3rd April 2013 at 12:36.
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:36   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quoting my Dad's Experience, who is now torn between Ford Figo & Honda Amaze.
"The car seems to be very handy, quite trendy compared to the Ford Figo (which he had booked earlier). Very apt for city usage but not sure on the highway cruising capabilities as the car has a very low stance. Dashboard looks very premium, Seats have good comfort and provides ample back rest. Need to check on the basic service consumables before taking a decision. The dickey is quite huge for its size".
So I think we will now have to wait for Dad's decision on which road he has to take. Obviously I feel comparing a hatch back to a Sedan does not cut ice, but I think its how much of a car can you get with the money you have in hand that will ultimately take the call. Sales man were quoting around 820Ish as the road price.
The Car is on display at Magnum Honda, Kanakapura Road Opposite Metro.
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:25   #142
BHPian

Pics of the Amaze Brochure.

Diesel Amaze - Kerb Weight 1075 KG, seems to be Light. Indeed very Light
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)-img20130403wa0001.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)-img20130403wa0002.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)-img20130403wa0003.jpg  

Agnijit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:30   #143
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO for the detailed report as always! I've been waiting on this one for a while now.

I'm going to take a contrarian view here. I've a feeling that it will sizzle (a little given the production constraints), settle down to some decent numbers. And then maybe fizzle out unless Honda really starts providing features that are now considered a norm even on entry level sedans.

I'm sure that there are customers (like me) out there who would have preferred a trim with all the bells and whistles! Why can't honda just have enough trim levels to let people choose? You can't always say i'm Honda, come late to the party, scream i've a diesel now and still short change us. See whats happening with the SAIL though it has a very competent diesel heart & Etios that boasts of unmatched life.

MSIL has truly made the Dzire very desirable while every one else is still churning out mostly acceptable products. So my feeling is that Amaze will always remain the 2nd fiddle to Dzire. Which isn't bad for Honda, just that everyone has sky high expectations from Honda and they have a habit of falling short.
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:51   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this comparo on OD. I am NOT going to reveal the result here; Please do read thru.
Quote:
Round 1 (Evolution)

Round 2 (Space)

Round 3 (Network)

Round 4 (transmissions)

Round 5 (Engines)

Round 6 (Price)
Details: http://www.overdrive.in/details/3106...vs-Honda-Amaze

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd April 2013 at 13:54.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:10   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

Above statement, sorry - I cannot agree with this, so you are saying the "value of human life" applies only to customers opting for higher variant? Manufacturer "owes" (if at all) "safety" to all customers equally.

All i am saying is that manufacturers should do away with the "optional" and go with the "standard" when it comes to safety features.I agree with your view that manufacturers owe safety to all customers equally, irrespective of the variants they choose.My point is,if this safety could be reinforced with features like airbags and ABS, why make it optional??

Hope this clears the air.
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:16   #146
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review GTO! I'm glad to see a Honda diesel finally on Indian roads. My guess is this will be a very practical car to use and own. I'm happy they have worked on getting the engine right (I'm eager to take a TD).

I'm now wondering what the new City with this engine (and VGT) would be like. I'm sure all features left out in the Amaze plus much more will make their way into the City.
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:23   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Found this comparo on OD. I am NOT going to reveal the result here; Please do read thru.
Details: http://www.overdrive.in/details/3106...vs-Honda-Amaze
Interesting comparison.

Wonder, why OD skipped "Interiors", "Ride", "NVH", maybe even "features" - all areas where Dzire would have scored!
vasanthn21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:49   #148
BHPian

Hi GTO,

Your review is wonderful and in detail.
I would like to know specifically the brake comparison between Dzire ZDi and Amaze Vx. As you have said that Dzire ZDi brakes are bigger and very good, would like to know Dzire ZDi brakes when compared to Amaze brakes.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:55   #149
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the excellent review!

On the positive side, it looks like they have packaged the car pretty well. The boot integration looks pretty good (though not as seamless as VW’s effort with the Vento). Even with a pricing on par (or slightly higher) with the DZire, this should do well. As Vidyut mentioned, it looks like Honda have managed to pull through a perfect Indian package

But being a sedan sold at a higher price point (than the Brio), they should have tried incorporating a better dashboard – at least something closer to the lines of the City/Jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I don't understand what is silly about this. Making it optional only increases the flexibility. Not everyone going for the higher variants necessarily wants ABS and airbags.
Sorry, it is indeed a bit silly. I believe manufacturers should have the conscience to provide basic safety as standard, and not as an option. In my opinion, flexibility can be achieved by making some of the comfort features optional. An ignorant buyer may think otherwise, but by skimping on safety the manufacturer is actually cashing on the ignorance.
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:04   #150
Senior - BHPian

On safety aspects, I think its the govt that's being silly. Companies are in business and will always try to skimp on options to save/make money. Consumers will do the same. The govt should start to behave differently.
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed