Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2013, 20:10   #946
BANNED

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Now we know that the 100 PS doesn't translate into Bone-shaking power, but does give adequate and a turbo-lag free experience.

What about the other class-leading parameter? Fuel Efficiency.
What are the owners actually getting in the city? Anywhere near 25.5 on the highway?
Old 13th May 2013, 21:42   #947

Hi,this is my first post here.I have booked the Honda Amaze SMT Carnelian Red on 1st April in Pune but there is still no confirmation of my delivery date.I am not sure if it is because of the specific colour or the Petrol version.How do i get in touch with the company or can i write to them.I was offered a top end model but i stuct to the SMT since it is the most value for money car. Also my monthly usage is not more than 500 kms per month so going for the Petrol one. One thing i have noticed is that 95percent of the discussion here has been for the Deisel Vehicle obviously because its a new product and the Petrol one has been extensively covered with the Brio and Jazz.Any Initial ownership reviews on the petrol vehicle are eagerly awaited.Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 09:04   #948
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Now we know that the 100 PS doesn't translate into Bone-shaking power, but does give adequate and a turbo-lag free experience.
As per the ACI Show review the rev limit of 2000 when static, gives you acceleration figures which are really not comparable. The linear throttle response from zero means that you will not get the kick of the turbo coming 'on song'. The same program did report that the FE was the best there is.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 09:26   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As per the ACI Show review the rev limit of 2000 when static, gives you acceleration figures which are really not comparable. The linear throttle response from zero means that you will not get the kick of the turbo coming 'on song'. The same program did report that the FE was the best there is.
+1. Using the initial rpm to pump the initial thrust on competition and not doing so on amaze gives wrong burst timings and it's unfair to do a comparison in such a condition ( more so because this is not the way people are going to drive their vehicle ). They should have atleast mentioned this as a disclaimer when doing such comparisons.
Old 14th May 2013, 09:34   #950
Team-BHP Support

The 2000rpm rev limit when static may not give drag type launch but is a very good feature to have for chauffeur driven cars or for newbie drivers. It takes care of 2 things.

For one, no decent driver will launch at rpm above 2K rpm everytime as he risks frying the clutch in no time. Heck I have not done a 2K launch in my Altis (4 years) or Figo (3 years) till date so that's hardly an issue.

Secondly it prevents damage to the engine on cold start since it limits the revs to 2K rpm when static.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 09:39   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The 2000rpm rev limit when static may not give drag type launch but is a very good feature to have for chauffeur driven cars or for newbie drivers. It takes care of 2 things.

For one, no decent driver will launch at rpm above 2K rpm everytime as he risks frying the clutch in no time. Heck I have not done a 2K launch in my Altis (4 years) or Figo (3 years) till date so that's hardly an issue.

Secondly it prevents damage to the engine on cold start since it limits the revs to 2K rpm when static.
Thanks @vid for the clarification. Yes, it doesn't make sense for anyone to lauch from > 2000 rpms for day to day driving condition. And for the same reason, these 0-100 figures given by some magazines doesn't reflect the true potential of the Amaze because they do the drag test on other cars by pumping up the initial revvs.

But, one thing I'm concerned about is the 140 kmph limit. I hope, Honda removes that limit at some point of time, after they are more confident about their engine.

Last edited by amalji : 14th May 2013 at 09:40.
Old 14th May 2013, 11:23   #952
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
But, one thing I'm concerned about is the 140 kmph limit. I hope, Honda removes that limit at some point of time, after they are more confident about their engine.
They may, just reprogram the ECU! However, 140kph for a small saloon in my view is more than enough! If you are keen be sure some tuner will have a mod for the ECU soon.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 12:03   #953
Senior - BHPian

Its not the engine that they should feel confident about, its the car and its safety and dynamics post 140KPH. Its not just the diesel where they have capped the top end, the petrol model too is capped at 140kph. Why?

The amaze is a perfect nanny mode car.. no revving past 2K rpm at standstill, no speeding past 140kph and a revlimiter that cuts in a bit early even for a diesel. In short its a near perfect car for everyday driving from point A to B; It would've been perfect if it could somehow drive by itself. The car says you can't do this you can't do that.. then why leave the driving to the driver. Maybe an ECU update will fix that too

I "was" excited at the news of a 100PS 200NM small sedan from Honda.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 12:25   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujahidM View Post
have booked the Honda Amaze SMT Carnelian Red on 1st April in Pune but there is still no confirmation of my delivery date. How do i get in touch with the company or can i write to them.Any Initial ownership reviews on the petrol vehicle are eagerly awaited.Thanks
Hello MujahidM,

Congrats on booking Honda Amaze & the Red color will definitely look great on the Car. Also good that you went for Diesel option as your monthly running is less than 500 kms.

Regarding delivery status, contact the dealer with whom you booked the car & he will inform you once the car leaves the factory premises.

Hope you have gone through T-BHP's Pre Delivery Inspection threads -
http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-d...pdi-check-list

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html

Wish you a wonderful, trouble free ownership & thousands of happy miles in your new car. Waiting to see photographs of your new red car soon.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 12:29   #955
BANNED

Practically, none of the limitations made by Honda in the ECU make a difference:

-Nobody will ever rev a diesel to >2000 Rpm before on a standstill which would also fry the clutch

-Even the best expressways in our country have a speed limit of 100-120 kmph, Anything over that is illegal anyway, unless you are buying an Amaze as a track day car(which you are most probably aren't), it doesn't make any sense to go over 140 anyway.

This is a small , sensible family car, not a track machine made to corner hard at over 150 kmph
Old 14th May 2013, 12:44   #956
Senior - BHPian

I honestly feel that 140 as top speed will cater to 99 percent usage of 95 percent of customers.

As discussed multiple times on different threads on the forum, Indian road conditions are not suitable for such high speeds. By-Passers, Animals, Pedestrians, rash drivers, etc all add to the safety concern.

So for a car that has been targeted at the regular family guy who needs a car for his family (vis-a-vis an enthusiast), the speed limit makes sense. I would start complaining if Honda had dared to limit the CIVIC!!!!!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 13:56   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
how about the toyota etios GSP. This version gets you the ABS and airbags too if you need a safety kit within your budget. If you have gone through reviews here, this car's 1.5L engine is supposed to have better drive ability in city and the refreshed model has better interiors with an affordable maintenance. If you are fine with liva, liva sportivo can be a choice, as now this too gets the same engine. Just my humble suggestion, Probably you might not like it at first sight, but take a test drive before ignoring a car, it might be the one what you might be looking for!
mitra615 - I was/ am in the same position as you and I was quite confused between the Amaze and the i20. One of the biggest things going against the i20 was that it is the same engine like the i10 (that I currently own) and hence does not offer anything different in terms of the driving experience. I think this would be a factor for you as well. The i20 though offers so many features that the Amaze pales in comparison. I simply loved the Amaze for its driveability and space!

I was also looking to procure a car through my company but ended up not buying as yet. I TD a Honda City when I went to see the Amaze and now am trying to purchase one instead!!!

Balaji - the only thing that goes against the Etios is that Mumbai roads are full of Etios "Tab Cabs" and that really puts you off when you think of buying one! This car is really a good effort gone waste...
Old 14th May 2013, 14:01   #958
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just a random thought : Worldwide, Suzuki is a bargain basement brand (exited from USA because nothing they did would sell their cars) and known to be of cheap quality.

With the Dzire & Amaze however, Suzuki clearly has the upper hand in:

- Interior design
- Interior ambience
- Refinement
- Features / Equipment
- Superior sounding stereo
- A motor that's more high rpm friendly
- Better after-sales / customer service rankings

In summary, the Dzire does feel more "premium". Sign of the times? Maruti coming of age? How can a cheap Japanese brand beat one of the best there is?

That Honda priced the Amaze on par with the Dzire is a feat in itself. But, make no mistake, it's no less an achievement how Maruti Suzuki improved the new Dzire (over the economy-grade 1st gen Dzire).
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 14:32   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just a random thought : Worldwide, Suzuki is a bargain basement brand (exited from USA because nothing they did would sell their cars) and known to be of cheap quality.

With the Dzire & Amaze however, Suzuki clearly has the upper hand in:

- Interior design
- Interior ambience
- Refinement
- Features / Equipment
- Superior sounding stereo
- A motor that's more high rpm friendly
- Better after-sales / customer service rankings

In summary, the Dzire does feel more "premium". Sign of the times? Maruti coming of age? How can a cheap Japanese brand beat one of the best there is?

That Honda priced the Amaze on par with the Dzire is a feat in itself. But, make no mistake, it's no less an achievement how Maruti Suzuki improved the new Dzire (over the economy-grade 1st gen Dzire).
I don't think it is as much Suzuki coming of age as Honda choosing a class lower of car as the base. The Swift is half a class higher than the Brio, so the interiors are bound to be better. I feel Honda should have updated the interior a bit or priced it a but lower.
nipcarlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 14:36   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I guess Suzuki has got greater experience with smaller and cost effective vehicles. This helps them in having better control over the overall output under limited budget.

This is something both Honda and Toyota will definitely learn with time. Not that they are having inferior cars but the way they use their knife will improve.

Similarly with better experience Toyota and Honda develop expensive cars with more fineese than Suzuki

I always believe that developing a low cost car like Nano is as difficult as to build a high end luxury car. Cost vs required engineering balance is equally difficult in both cases.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks