Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 12:24   #496
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

More than the DZire, the Amaze can potentially hit the Swift VDi (Hatchback) where it hurts the most. For a price difference of an extra ~13k, the Amaze EX (D) offers:

ABS with EBD
Single din CD / MP3 / USB / Aux player with 2 speakers
Remote Locking
Height adjustable seat
Rear armrest
Extra Cup-holders
More powerful engine
More Fuel economy
More spacious interiors (front and back)
Fatter tyres (175 vs 165)
Almost Double the boot space

Though the Amaze does lose out on:
A fully functional MID
Fog-lamps
Electrical adjustment for ORVMs
Seat back pockets

The list of Advantages is much much longer than those of the Disadvantages whereas the Advantages are much more substantial in nature.

P.S.: I still believe they could have priced the lower trims of the Petrol cars lesser for a more comprehensive attack on its arch-rival's territory.

Last edited by antz.bin : 12th April 2013 at 12:26.
antz.bin is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 12:52   #497
Senior - BHPian

If you say Dzire's niggles have been ironed out, what exactly are you referring to? Maruti hasn't even acknowledged the famed brake problems in l & V. I think Swift and Dzire has serious competition here. Also, Maruti maintenance is not cheap any longer. Our car's running up serious service bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Let's call it compitation and not war between the two Japanese Players which will surly put pressure equally on the customer as well as the companies.

It will not be easier for customers to make a choice either, simply placed between Honda and Suzuki

- Proven MJD, almost no waiting, better interiors. I do agree that Amaze looks balanced (from outside) as compared to Dezire, but once inside - Suzuki's feel, fit and looks of the dash are far better than what is offered in Honda. With almost zero waiting (car is available in less than 30 days of booking), it can still break decisions against Honda. I am told that Amaze has climbed up for a 2 - 4 months waiting.

- Though the i-DTEC engine has been operating globally (1.6 L), the FIAT 1.3 MJD is a proven workhorse, though I have no doubts on the credibility of Honda, I am not sure if the Honda Workshops are prepared for a surge in their workload. Maruti workshops are regularly catering to mass market and thus are at an advantage

- Until next year, Honda has to struggle with deliveries as its production capacity is just a fraction of MSIL.

- Niggles with a new product are bound to pop up, Desire is already out of that part and has beome a regular product, Honda will have to pass that phase, some upgrades like the seat with integrated headrest et. al. have been disliked and companies have to make changes in their product. Honda will also have to look at some such components in the car as well as issues that come up in the performance and allied issues around the machine.
-Sail will be lost in the compitation though its a new product and is copitatively priced, yet now when MSIL sleeves up for the compitation - either there could be discounts or additional features in desire at the same price tag is surly going to put sale of SAIL at rest. SAIL is vary basic and it seem that GM is deaf when it comes to listening to what customer wants; frankly speaking even after offering largest variety to Indian- GM has failed on almost all fronts.

- MSIL is already planning to phase out SX4 and I think that the new SX4 proposed for launch in 2014 would be competing with City Diesel and Desire has already a compitation now.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 12:56   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
@ Narsi - I was there too and could test drive the Diesel for which I was waiting.
Thats great. At what time were you there at the showroom? I was there at around 7pm. It was crowded and many people were already waiting. I knew that even if I get a TD it wont be comprehensive one. Hence avoided it. But as promised, the SA gave me a TD of the diesel variant today.

My Observations:
  • The engine is on the noisier side, but for me it was not bad as my current drive (2009 Fabia) is more noisier.
  • The gear shift is smooth.
  • Its a peppy engine and easy to drive in the city
  • Getting in and out of the car requires some effort though. Got hit on my head twice
  • The rear parcel tray cannot be used effectively as the rear speakers are placed there and the parcel tray is not even. This means that the small bags also needs to go to boot else should be kept near our legs
  • AC is quite good
  • The audio quality will not inspire everyone
  • I checked the underbody and found that there is no sump guard. Spoke to SA and he confirmed that there will not be one. He also told that showroom will not help fix one. We will have to hunt aftermarket ones if needed.
  • Noticed that the speedo was disconnected in the TD car. When asked the SA told that they have still not got approval for TD and they are offering only because of huge requests (could not accept this. This vehicle well might go into someones hands soon)
  • SA claims to have recieved ~50 bookings yesterday alone. The pressure of delivery will start soon enough as only 20-25 vehicles will be alloted to a showroom in a month (as per the SA)
  • After I completed my TD, few employees from nearby manufaturing firm took the TD. The vehicle was fully loaded and I felt that the vehicle surely scrap its belly if not driven with care
Overall this is a very good package and a competition is on.
Old 12th April 2013, 13:00   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post

+ The torque is felt right through & through from 1200 RPM, no turbo lag, strong mid-range, and goes through to >3000 rpms without any surge or drop! AMAZING Driveability : almost similar to Duster 110 ps engine!
You say that the car pulls from 1200 rpm, whereas Duster 110ps engine is known for its turbo lag. Even GTO mentioned this in his review.

Thanks,
Prakash.
prakasse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 13:07   #500
BANNED

I think Amaze has a great potential to give a good fight against DZire. But, it will equally affect i20, Polo, City, Etios and Verna sales. For those who are looking outside the Maruti stable, has a very good option now.

Maruti may be able to keep its forte - see how they did it when many said Etios, Eon, Brio etc will dethrone Maruti!
Old 12th April 2013, 13:24   #501
BHPian

My FIL has booked the Diesel EMT yesterday in Ludhiana. The OTR is 6.97 Lakhs. The significant difference next version had was ICE which he is planning to put after market (not a music enthusiast anyway).

Really appreciable is the fact that Honda has provided ABS with EBD on base model also which i did not get even on the middle version of my Duster (RXL).
The base model of Amaze is quite balances and well suited for people like my FIL who do not use much of the functions anyway.
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 13:28   #502

Got the Bangalore OTR price from Dakshin Honda, Lavelle Road.

Diesel VX is 9.49 L
Diesel S is 8.4L

Handling charges 8500/-
Roadside assistance 4200/-
Extended warranty 7100/-
Old 12th April 2013, 13:32   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
More than the DZire, the Amaze can potentially hit the Swift VDi (Hatchback) where it hurts the most. For a price difference of an extra ~13k, the Amaze EX (D) offers:

Height adjustable seat
Rear armrest
Height adjustment and rear armrest are not available in EX.

Also, even the 2-DIN stereo in Amaze doesn't seem to be impressive. I just hope 1-DIN which is available only in EX is not too bad.

That said, "better brakes" would just be sufficient for me to go for Amaze EX/S over the Swift VDi, even if Swift scores on every other feature list comparison. Brakes are not something you can compromise on, even if it is 1% of the scenarios where it doesn't work in the optimal fashion!
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 13:33   #504
BHPian

sorry I forgot, but the user manual states following service schedule :

1st Free Service : 1 month / 1000 km
2nd Free Service : 3 months / 5000 km
3rd Free Service : 6 months / 10000 km

Subsequent Paid Services : Every 6 months / 10000 km.

I think this is fair enough. More frequent than competition but less than for Honda City
Old 12th April 2013, 13:49   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post
sorry I forgot, but the user manual states following service schedule :

1st Free Service : 1 month / 1000 km
2nd Free Service : 3 months / 5000 km
3rd Free Service : 6 months / 10000 km

Subsequent Paid Services : Every 6 months / 10000 km.

I think this is fair enough. More frequent than competition but less than for Honda City
Is this the same for both the engines or just for Diesel?

KM interval seems fine but the timeframe seems to be too frequent, especially for those who don't run so much. Unlike in the past, there are a lot of folks who opt for Diesel even if their annual usage is around 10-15k km or lesser. Add to it the unavailability of Honda service stations in a lot of cities. Customers in these cities have to drive more than 100km to get their car serviced. It doesn't help these folks to do that thrice in the first 6 months of ownership especially if they don't drive much.

This is one area Honda should understand- cheaper the car gets, more likely that majority of its customers are in self driven category and these owners don't prefer to waste a whole day driving to a city which has a Honda service station very often. For costlier cars, there might be a driver in the household who would take care of this.

Last edited by zenren : 12th April 2013 at 13:51.
Old 12th April 2013, 13:56   #506
BANNED

@spinfreak; So as a note of caution they have added a three month check. Is it on the petrol as well, since my Brio is one and six months, then every six months.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 14:08   #507
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
My FIL has booked the Diesel EMT yesterday in Ludhiana. The OTR is 6.97 Lakhs. The significant difference next version had was ICE which he is planning to put after market (not a music enthusiast anyway).

Really appreciable is the fact that Honda has provided ABS with EBD on base model also which i did not get even on the middle version of my Duster (RXL).
The base model of Amaze is quite balances and well suited for people like my FIL who do not use much of the functions anyway.
Seems like a good deal..only 15K over the Dzire LDi

I am in Ludhiana too.
What is the expected date of delivery of his booking?
and are the waiting periods similar for all the Engines/Variants?
Old 12th April 2013, 14:23   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Seems like a good deal..only 15K over the Dzire LDi

I am in Ludhiana too.
What is the expected date of delivery of his booking?
and are the waiting periods similar for all the Engines/Variants?
The dealer was non committal on the dates yet, but has indicated at least 2 months waiting across.
Old 12th April 2013, 14:31   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post

The dealer was non committal on the dates yet, but has indicated at least 2 months waiting across.
Well for the petrol it would be maximum 4 weeks as per the inputs from the SA in capital Honda. Diesel is 2 months
Old 12th April 2013, 14:44   #510
BHPian

Forgot to ask for Petrol. Diesel I'm sure this is the service schedule, as I saw it with my eyes. I was told it is the same for all Amaze variants. Some one re-verify and post please. Also the legendary Honda Coolant in diesel will run for 1 lac km / 5 yrs only. Petrol remains unchanged at 2 lac km / 10 yrs. Sales person had no answer for 'why' or 'is it the same coolant' but then I guess this is more a service related query, to be directed at the workshop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks