Old 13th April 2013, 12:48   #556
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
After Effects:

http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...lakh-10138.htm

customer is surely king
Don't think a Petrol-only at this segment will be a big threat.

Nevertheless, I am a little disappointed by Honda in terms of the feature list. They should have included the ACC at the minimum.
Old 13th April 2013, 12:52   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutta_d1 View Post
Don't think a Petrol-only at this segment will be a big threat.

Nevertheless, I am a little disappointed by Honda in terms of the feature list. They should have included the ACC at the minimum.
I don't think, the Regal will impact the Amaze any way. These are just cosmetic changes. Amaze will be selling at its full capacity for the whole of 2013 ( unless something bad happens with that engine ).

Other manufacturers have 1 year buffer to come with a better product because,
in 2014,
  • Honda will be doubling their production capacities.
  • & the new City will be having a 1.6 Diesel variant. This will be a killer for the likes of Verna and Vento.

Last edited by amalji : 13th April 2013 at 13:01.
Old 13th April 2013, 12:55   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I'm going to wait for Honda to announce the pricing next week before I answer that but I can tell you if the pricing is within 40K of the Dzire, the Amaze would be my choice.

I can give a few reasons for my choice next week.
Waiting for your input, vid!
Dr.Nishath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 13:14   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Had almost forgotten the car existed! Haven't even checked it out once!

I have my concerns on Ride quality of Amaze, I like cars which provide a comfortable Ride.
In that case, SAIL is the car that you should be looking at. Our moderators set SAIL as benchmark on ride quality.
Old 13th April 2013, 13:23   #560
BHPian

Just came from the test drive at capital Honda, Chennai meenambakkam. Drove both the petrol MT and AT VX variants.
Following are my observations:
- AT looked more refined and the power was uniform. The noise level is better than my i10.
- low end torque lacking in MT.
-I'm 5"10 and the rear leg room was pretty good even when the front seat was pushed back.
- my parents were very happy with the space offered at the back and the boot space.
- The interior quality is good.
- the rear view is definitely hampered by the parcel tray/speakers. Have to get used to it
- the steering was simply awesome.
-audio quality is pretty basic and should have been better.
- I had to stretch my fingers a bit to honk while driving compared to my current ride - i10.
-the odometer was on and the car had done around 150+ kms. I remember an earlier comment stating that the odometer was disconnected in one of the TD vehicles.
-there is significant glare on the speedometer and in general the central console. Initially thought somebody might have touched it with dirty hands or cleaned it with a dirty cloth, but this was noticed in both the cars.
-A.C. is very good.

Overall happy with the car and have booked the VX AT. Only disappointment is that it would take them some time to get it in the color which I'm looking for - urban titanium, as they have been o provided only one AT for this month and that is metallic. Looks like mid may at the earliest.

Also noticed that a lot of people were abusing the car in the name of a test drive. When I was driving , I could see an amaze doing 60+ in the narrow roads in the opposite direction. Pity the Honda folks. My SA was visibly angry and said that they have got clear instructions as to how to tell the customers in a very polite manner , but most of them simply don't listen and justify it in the name of a TD.

Also was lucky to get an SA who was informed , well mannered and also questioned me initially as to why I was interested in diesel , as mine was primarily city commuting plus maximum 150 kms a week. The moment I said I was a TBHP member to one of the other SAs who was trying to take me for a ride , he was very cautious in what he was saying from then on.
thiagust is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 14:10   #561
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Pricing by Honda.

Contrary to a lot of Tbhpians, I differ on the point of view that Dzire sales will remain unaffected.

Yes, it sales will be impacted but not as much as the sales of

1) Toyota "Barebones" Etios
2) Tata "Niggling" Manza
3) Ford "Troublemaker" Fiesta
4) GM "New Born" Sail.

The challenge will be to deliver within realistic time lines as the queues are going to be gigantic for the car.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 14:55   #562
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Nishath View Post
Waiting for your input, vid!
I am pleasantly surprised. What else can I say. When I drove the Aamze in Japan, I came back and did a quick calculation on the expected pricing. Honda have priced it exactly the same as what I predicted!!!

10K over the top end Dzire is an amazeing (pun intended) feat by Honda.

The only extra feature the Dzire has is the climate control and the MID with more options. Every other aspect the Amaze trumps the Dzire.

Infact even the Etios is going to have a rough time ahead. The Amaze offers 90% of what the Etios offers at a lower price tag. The only thing the Etios has is the extra rear space and the larger boot, but the amaze anyways has more than enough space.

The 100PS engine is a segment above and if your a guy that looks at the engine, the Amaze is a no brainer.

Pat on the back to Honda for setting the cat among the pigeons.

Quote:
This is the calculation I had done while writing the report.

The difference between Swift P and Swift D is around 1.2lakhs. This is the biggest difference between all 3 models.

The difference between Swift and Dzire is 40K for lower trims but goes to 60K for the highest trims.

Now the Amaze is like a Dzire since it's below 4m but it has a 400L boot and looks like a full sized sedan. So I had a look at Toyota.

The Liva and Etios vary by 1L. But for that 1L you get a huge boot, longer wheelbase and incase of Petrol a 1.5L engine outside of the lower excise bracket.

So for the Amaze I took an average of the Dzire and Etios at 80K extra for the boot.

Now apply all the above to the Brio.

Brio P starts from 4.2L and ends at 5.3L for the V MT. If you add 80K for the boot and 1.2L for the diesel you get the following prices for Amaze:

Amaze P - 5L - 6.1L
Amaze D - 6.2L - 7.3L

The Dzire ZDi is 7.4L ex-showroom Delhi.

Now knowing Honda they may charge a 20-30K premium to the Dzire. Even if the Amaze is priced at 6.5L - 7.6L for the diesel it is very good.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 15:25   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10K over the top end Dzire is an amazeing (pun intended) feat by Honda.
Pricing and fuel efficiency is the key in our mass market products and I feel that Honda has got both these factors bang right for the 1st time in India.
Old 13th April 2013, 15:34   #564
BHPian

Folks, I'm the one now confused.

Visited Lanson Toytoa yesterday to exchange my current ride (Etios Petrol G SP). Seen and TD'd Etios Liva 2013 edition. Pleasantly surprised with the improvements. Key favours are Rocksolid reliability of the D4D Engine and improved ground clearance. Really shown up during the TD. Icing on the cake is 1 Year / 10000 KM service interval.

That brings me to the only two fears on Honda Amaze.

1. IMHO 6 months service interval is too frequent for a modern day diesel.
2. The GC of Amaze is again something needs to be tested in our god forbidden lunar roads.

I had booked Amaze S Diesel two days back

Have I done a right thing? What the experts here think?

PS - I don't have any doubt on the engine front. Except the above 2 grouses, I will fight for Amaze anyday. I'm head over heels with it!
Old 13th April 2013, 16:16   #565
BHPian

It is indeed an AMAZEing car by HONDA. Now time will tell how it fares in our market. It will be interesting to see the response of other car makers like Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai, Mahindra, Tata, Toyota, etc. to this segment. I believe most of them already have competitive products in the pipeline. The Mahindra Verito Vibe and Tata Manza CS will be interesting to watch in terms of VFM for private as well as commercial buyers(which usually drive the sales figures).
But for a car enthusiast its Honda all the way
Old 13th April 2013, 18:04   #566
Senior - BHPian

Had a small test drive of Amaze today!. I'm impressed!!!
First of all from where did Honda manage to get so much space inside from such a small car????
The S variant looks Absolute VFM. 8.38 Onraod is just too good. I dont see a reason why anybody should buy Dzire!!

Just to give a rough idea in comparison to Figo(D) and Vento(D)(both which i own). I know both comparisons are not fair but again all 3 are cars.

Amaze Vs Figo:
Space:Amaze has tons of space compared to Figo,Amaze is in different league altogether. I think its almost comparable t Vento!!!.

Power/Engine/Drivability/Handling: With AC switched on in both cars, Amaze feels lot more powerful.P.S i didnt get chance to cross 80KM/h in Amaze.With AC on Amaze easily felt 25-30% more powerful.Turbo lag is nil similar to Figo. Engine is as noisy as Figo in the inside. Gear throws felt a little shorter than one in figo. I could sense that Amaze had more top end compared to figo!!.
The Steering on stationary felt extremely light, but at 60-70KM/h felt sufficiently weighted.Not as good as Figo's Hydro unit. But on other side Bliss for city driving. I beleive its not going to be as easy as figo at 3-digit speeds.

Also noteworthy is the driving position-Just Amazeing!!!.

Amaze Vs Vento:

Space: I felt Vento has some 10-20% more space than Amaze. The boot is also bigger. But hey Vento is much more longer than Amaze and different segment altogether.

Power/Engine/Drivability/Handling: From standstill Amaze felt competetive to vento to some extent but once in move Vento is different beast altogether. Despite Vento having additional 5BHP and 100CC(additional weight) feels much more powerful. The torque differences do speak. Driving Amaze right after coming in Vento really made me think if Amaze is really rated at 100BHP???.
The Steering of Vento though EPS like Amaze feels better. The brakes are also much better in the Vento.

Some good things i noticed in Amaze:
-Fit and Finish is good, and quality of material are decent.Felt slightly/comparable with Figo not in league of Vento.
-Doors,Hood,Boot everything felt extremely light in comparison.
-Seats were comfortable(both front and rear).
-Chunky steering wheel is nice to hold.
-The glove box fitment looked shoddy.Not upto the mark.

P.S:The Engine Warning light kept glowing throughout the test drive.The Honda person had no idea why it was glowing!!!

People who will/would want to buy Amaze:
One who has a diesel hatch like Polo/Punto/Figo/i20 will find very few reasons to upgrade. But if you have a petrol hatch and hunting for a Diesel hatch/entry sedan look no further.Amaze it is!!!
Also if you looking for Practical family diesel car and on a budget Amaze it is!!
Planning for Dzire/Etios/Verito you might want to check Amaze.It beats them all!!!

By the way DIESEL AMAZE has a waiting period of 2-3 months.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 18:18   #567
BHPian

FYI, Onroad prices in Delhi
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)-capture.jpg  

mjumrani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 18:20   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Infact even the Etios is going to have a rough time ahead. The Amaze offers 90% of what the Etios offers at a lower price tag. The only thing the Etios has is the extra rear space and the larger boot.
Since you have done the official test drive of etios diesel, how would you compare the ride quality of amaze diesel vs etios diesel? GTO seems to favour etios in this respect.
Old 13th April 2013, 18:25   #569
BHPian

Etios ride is better than Amaze. But Amaze handles better than Etios. That's my impression vs the Etios even before its recent changes. After all, Etios wheelbase is as much as longer upper C cars.
spinfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 19:17   #570
BHPian

Hi folks,

Did a small test drive of the Amaze this afternoon at Whitefield Honda. Oh my!! What rush at the showroom to check out the Jap's first diesel. It was a long queue and people were called similar to token system.

Was allotted a TD after 30 mins so took the time to check out the car inside out. Must say Honda has done a fab job at space creation. Though the interiors were conventional and nothing funky or classy, it was practical. Decent quality level and good fit and finish. Rear seat space is good and just below the City in terms of comfort. Good under thigh support and decent headroom. 4 people will be best suited inside though the 5th occupant can be an occasional one without much trouble.

The New Majestic Blue colour looks fantastic (the shade seems to be inspired by the blue seen on the Altis and refreshed Innova/Fortuner). I personally liked the Carnelian Red shade. They had the S MT in the red shade and VX in the blue. Finally comes the time to drive.

Was very particular about the points from the TBHP review like engine noise and vibration on cranking. And yes both were present but not very disturbing. Dad drove first and said the view of the road is good thanks to seat height adjust feature. Was observing the speedo all the time and there was a small spike of turbo around the 2000-2200 rpm mark. Nice!!! The manual AC cooled the cabin quickly at 2 speed. Since the TD model was a S variant, the VX would have been cooler due to the heat absorbing windshield. Ride at the back was good but the Etios was more sofa-like. Arm-rest is very handy. Took the first U-turn after entering ORR and the 4.7m turning radius came into effect. Came out neatly. Now my turn to take the wheel. Steering is a breeze to use in city limits. Gears fall nicely in place and pedal feel was good. Rear visibility was a little poor but can get used to soon. Then came the ground clearance test. The hump right outside Whitefield Honda was taken care off well with 4 people in the car. But there another nasty one which I will test again another day.

Overall, very pleased with the car and I look like a potential buyer of the Amaze. Will watch out for some service related costs (esp. fuel filter, engine oil (specially made by Honda), oil filter etc).

The service advisor told me that Bangalore official launch is on 18th April and deliveries commence after that. As of 150 cars have been booked, 2.5 months waiting period for diesel.

Attaching the on-road prices for the variants in Bangalore.

Cheers

Srinath

P.S: Sorry for the really long post. Hope you enjoyed reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)-20130413_184630.jpg  

srinath34 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed