Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2013, 21:11   #571
BANNED

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I don't think, the Regal will impact the Amaze any way. These are just cosmetic changes. Amaze will be selling at its full capacity for the whole of 2013 ( unless something bad happens with that engine ).

Other manufacturers have 1 year buffer to come with a better product because,
in 2014,
  • Honda will be doubling their production capacities.
  • & the new City will be having a 1.6 Diesel variant. This will be a killer for the likes of Verna and Vento.
Agree with you on the Regal subject. A Limited edition can't do any tangible damage to the Prospects of the Amaze.

But I would like to point out that the City Diesel(next-gen) will also come with a similar 1.5 Engine with VGT. Now that could mean a little less performance as compared to the Vento and Verna 1.6
Old 13th April 2013, 21:42   #572
Team-BHP Support

I just realised that the Amaze S AT Petrol is now the cheapest automatic sedan in India. It even undercuts the Dzire AT and is cheaper than the ridiculous i20 AT.

The only other choices are Dzire AT, Rapid AT Ambition trim, Scala AT, Sunny AT.

The Amaze AT is cheaper than all the above.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 21:50   #573
BANNED

Just like how Dzire killed SX4, Amaze will kill City. And we have to wait and watch, to see to what extend.
Old 13th April 2013, 22:22   #574
BHPian

As per a source, Honda is gearing up for large sales of the Amaze. A very large number of ancillaries are manufacturing large quantities of parts for the Brio which is used in the Amaze. As per Honda's plans, they want to attempt to maintain a "No-Waiting List" for the Amaze.

Seems to be a good idea.
Old 13th April 2013, 22:27   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Just like how Dzire killed SX4, Amaze will kill City. And we have to wait and watch, to see to what extend.
Thats not necessarily a bad thing,considering the swift platform is responsible for 50% of suzuki india's profits
Old 13th April 2013, 22:39   #576
BHPian

Mod team note: Back to back post, please use EDIT instead once the post is approved. Thanks.

Well, drsingh and romeomidhun arent wrong, as per this link, SX4 sales are down. The compact car segment has maintained sales figures. Whereas Dzire sales are marginally low.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0200065_1.html

Sorry, error.

Dzire sales are up from 16.4K to 20K this year. 22.05% increase.

Pls note correction.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th April 2013 at 23:21.
Old 13th April 2013, 22:50   #577
AWD
BHPian

Saw a couple of Amazes on road today, Silver color. The car looks small in profile & front is narrow unlike modern designs that are broad from front, this further makes it look smaller. In first glimpses, it somewhat matches Corsa's profile.

Though I have booked the car but will decide to buy or not only after a thorough TD. Things to check would be Ride quality, NVH, low end torque, mid range & top-whack.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 01:00   #578
BHPian

Just had the TD of Amaze VXAT, excellent car, although ride did feel a bit stiff but definitely better than Brio. The only negative here is the waiting period of 1 and a half months , which is roughly the time of Ecosport launch. Feel Honda should have planned better to address their capacity constraints else it will be too late and they risk losing customers to competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I just realised that the Amaze S AT Petrol is now the cheapest automatic sedan in India. It even undercuts the Dzire AT and is cheaper than the ridiculous i20 AT.
If discounts are taken into account then Dzire will be cheaper, but Amaze is definitely the winner as it has the vital features - driver seat height adjust and a 5th gear ratio. If i20 AT was available in the asta trim then it would have been a better buy over Amaze VXAT, however in the current scenario Amaze SAT looks to be the best buy.
Old 14th April 2013, 01:46   #579
BHPian

Road tax for Amaze E Diesel is 36K in Delhi & 106K in Bangalore? On-road price (based on earlier posts where the price lists were attached) is 6.84L in Delhi and 7.62L in Bangalore for Amaze E-Diesel White color.

That is a solid 12% increase over the on-road price and ~200% increase in the road-tax in Bangalore. In spite of these extra costs during purchase, we will be shelling out 10-15% more on fuel (recurring cost) here.

My thoughts of buying a new car (Amaze diesel was in my mind) has fizzled out thinking of this disparity.

Wish we have a one-nation concept for road tax as well just like the telecom prices or the income-tax rates :(
Old 14th April 2013, 02:44   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Road tax for Amaze E Diesel is 36K in Delhi & 106K in Bangalore? On-road price (based on earlier posts where the price lists were attached) is 6.84L in Delhi and 7.62L in Bangalore for Amaze E-Diesel White color.

That is a solid 12% increase over the on-road price and ~200% increase in the road-tax in Bangalore. In spite of these extra costs during purchase, we will be shelling out 10-15% more on fuel (recurring cost) here.

My thoughts of buying a new car (Amaze diesel was in my mind) has fizzled out thinking of this disparity.

Wish we have a one-nation concept for road tax as well just like the telecom prices or the income-tax rates :(
Delhi wallahs offset the revenue loss by consuming more liquor and I guess contribute more in form of excise duty on liquor...
drsingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 09:03   #581
BHPian

I would like to know whether the tires are undersized or should it be Ok?. During the TD could see both MRF as well as Goodyear and I'm not sure whether Bridgestone is also offered. Any idea from anyone?
Old 14th April 2013, 09:43   #582
BHPian

Lot of discussions have been happening on how Amze will affect Dezire sales, but I have often seen that the opinion of few enthusiasts, those who go into intrinsic details of engine specs, PS, time for 0-100, and even 120 to 140 speed :-) etc does not necessarily reflect into market figures.

Few examples -
1. Nano - It was once discussed to dent Alto sales, today it is not even selling 10% of Alto.

2. Eon was then in the same discussion, it never touched 50% of Alto.

There could more examples too.

We will have to watch and see over next 6 months to 2 years.

-Sanjubaba
sanjubaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 10:01   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by "sanjubaba;3094177"!

Few examples -
1. Nano - It was once discussed to dent Alto sales, today it is not even selling 10% of Alto.

2. Eon was then in the same discussion, it never touched 50% of Alto

-Sanjubaba
Prefer to disagree. Only usp of Nano was price. When people choose quality over low price, nano failed.
Eon was not marketed well.
Amaze is driving on Honda brand. Even enemies will agree on Honda quality.
Old 14th April 2013, 10:02   #584
BHPian

@sanjubaba, unlike Eon or Nano, here we are talking about a product that intrinsically has a lot more, a whole lot more, things going for it than the Maruti segment leader than things against it. And rather than creating some new weird segment, Honda has just upped the benchmark for the entry sedan. Proportions, looks, interior space, class first features, mileage, performance & reliability. I really think this product will become a thorn in Maruti's flesh for a long time to come!
Old 14th April 2013, 10:02   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
But I would like to point out that the City Diesel(next-gen) will also come with a similar 1.5 Engine with VGT. Now that could mean a little less performance as compared to the Vento and Verna 1.6
With the kind of aggressiveness shown by Honda in the entry sedan segment, I don't think they would settle for anything less than 250 Nm of torque in the city. It could be either the 1.5 or even 1.6 ( because they don't have to think of excise duty exemptions on the City since, it already exceeds the 4m length )

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
And 2014 Diesel City has the potential to kill Civic, Verna and Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
That brings me to the only two fears on Honda Amaze.
1. IMHO 6 months service interval is too frequent for a modern day diesel.
2. The GC of Amaze is again something needs to be tested in our god forbidden lunar roads.
1) Every Honda car has a more frequent service interval. Maintenance cost will be surely costlier than a Toyota which is in a league of its own. But, it should be still economical than a Maruti ( especially if you run 15k to 20k per year ).
2) GC specs doesn't make much sense. You need to try it out on real roads to analyze how good it is. It depends on
  • Wheel base ( the longer the wheel base, the higher the GC should be ). Since, you were comparing with Etios, the Etios has the longest wheel base in its class which is even longer than the Manza and that is the reason why the new facelift version is given a ground clearance of 174 mm. Amaze's wheel base is shortest in its class ( 145 mm shorter than the Etios ). So, 165 mm GC might not be that bad as what is seen on the specs.
  • Front & rear overhang ( From the pics, the overhang doesn't seem to be much. ) So, again it's positive for the Amaze.
  • Suspension setup - Soft = higher probability of scraping when the car is loaded .The Amaze suspension setup even though soft is still stiffer than the Etios as per the reviews
So, to conclude, even though the GC of 165 mm feels very low compared to 174 mm of the Etios, in practical scenario, the effect might be negated due to the other factors mentioned above. So, take the test drive vehicle to the challenging terrains and try out the GC by yourself with the car fully loaded. Then, do the same for Etios as well. That way, you will be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Was observing the speedo all the time and there was a small spike of turbo around the 2000-2200 rpm mark.
That sounds weird, because as per the specs, peak torque is at 1750 rpms and not 2000 to 2200 rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Since you have done the official test drive of etios diesel, how would you compare the ride quality of amaze diesel vs etios diesel? GTO seems to favour etios in this respect.
The ride should be better for the Etios Diesel due to the longer wheel base and softer springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post
Etios ride is better than Amaze. But Amaze handles better than Etios. That's my impression vs the Etios even before its recent changes. After all, Etios wheelbase is as much as longer upper C cars.
Even with handling Etios should be having the upper hand. Quoting GTO's words.
But, for normal driving conditions, this doesn't matter much. We are not going to use the car for racing anyway. The handling of the car is said to be neutral which should be more than enough for high speed cruising on express highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What you won't:
• Not as dynamically accomplished as the Ford Fiesta Classic, Toyota Etios and others

Last edited by amalji : 14th April 2013 at 10:28.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks