Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2013, 10:19   #586
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Maintenance cost will be surely costlier than a Toyota which is in a league of its own.
Sorry for going OT. Is Toyota diesel cheaper than Suzuki (Fiat) Diesel in maintenance? Could you please throw some light here pls or PM me? It'll help me in making my decision.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th April 2013 at 10:04. Reason: fixing quote
Old 14th April 2013, 10:19   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post
@sanjubaba, unlike Eon or Nano, here we are talking about a product that intrinsically has a lot more, a whole lot more, things going for it than the Maruti segment leader than things against it. And rather than creating some new weird segment, Honda has just upped the benchmark for the entry sedan. Proportions, looks, interior space, class first features, mileage, performance & reliability. I really think this product will become a thorn in Maruti's flesh for a long time to come!
Agree, however you are imagining a static world! Do you think Maruti will sit idle and watch how their sales decline?

-Sanjubaba
Old 14th April 2013, 10:42   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Sorry for going OT. Is Toyota diesel cheaper than Suzuki (Fiat) Diesel in maintenance? Could you please throw some light here pls or PM me? It'll help me in making my decision.
Etios Diesel maintenance cost is around 2000 to 2500 per 10,000 kms.
Try checking that out for Swift, it will be around 6k to 9k for the same interval.

The reason for the maintenance cost advantage mentioned below.

Attachment 1051861

Since, this is OT, for future doubts, please PM me or post it in my ownership thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
Agree, however you are imagining a static world! Do you think Maruti will sit idle and watch how their sales decline?
Good for Maruti and us - customers, if they come up with something better.
For now, Honda Amaze is the rock star.

Last edited by amalji : 14th April 2013 at 10:48.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 11:08   #589
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
With the kind of aggressiveness shown by Honda in the entry sedan segment, I don't think they would settle for anything less than 250 Nm of torque in the city. It could be either the 1.5 or even 1.6 ( because they don't have to think of excise duty exemptions on the City since, it already exceeds the 4m length )
It is not about the excise cut, but the cost of manufacturing the engine itself.
Honda has worked extensively to localise the 1.5 i-DTEC. 1.6 i-DTEC has some key differences for which Honda will have to either import or have to source different parts which could drive the costs further up the ladder.

So if Honda wants to price the next-gen City as competitively as it has done with the Amaze, 1.5 i-DTEC is the best choice.
People don't really want outright performance from a C2 segment car. As is seen with the Success of the Sunny and Fiesta(older gen-now Classic)
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 11:37   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

It is not about the excise cut, but the cost of manufacturing the engine itself.
Honda has worked extensively to localise the 1.5 i-DTEC. 1.6 i-DTEC has some key differences for which Honda will have to either import or have to source different parts which could drive the costs further up the ladder.

So if Honda wants to price the next-gen City as competitively as it has done with the Amaze, 1.5 i-DTEC is the best choice.
People don't really want outright performance from a C2 segment car. As is seen with the Success of the Sunny and Fiesta(older gen-now Classic)
+1
Moreover 1.6 idtec better be reserved for next gen Civic for differentiation.
I just hope Honda takes care of refinement thing and fun to drive factor.
1.5 in Amaze seems all about driveability and fuel efficiency which is indeed the requirement of the segment. The extra power makes the car faster yet that lack of ability to rev freely is something enthusiasts may miss.

Verna CRDi is refined,free revving and fast. Vento is pure torque machine with good efficiency.

Honda should benchmark these two cars for City diesel
Old 14th April 2013, 11:47   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
The extra power makes the car faster yet that lack of ability to rev freely is something enthusiasts may miss.
I'm not sure whether we'll really miss that because, you don't need to rev the Amaze to be faster than competition for the simple reason that it gives very good torque right from the bottom end of the torque curve. Shift before 3000 rpms, and you'll still be faster than what the competition offers. And turbo charged Diesels with FGT are not meant to be revved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Verna CRDi is refined,free revving and fast. Vento is pure torque machine with good efficiency.
Honda should benchmark these two cars for City diesel
And they should be able to do it without much fuss. Just give a bigger VGT turbo and the problem should be solved with regards to high end refinement. 68 PS D-4D on Etios is very drivable, but refinement is lacking on the top end. With the same engine with VGT Turbo on Corolla Altis, it becomes ultra refined on high end but suffers from turbo lag. The advantage with Amaze is that there is a lot of low end punch even now, so that even if you up the refinement, and high end punch, it might still give you good drivability ( even though not as fabulous as what Amaze gives you ).
Old 14th April 2013, 11:56   #592
BHPian

The Honda Amaze would be especially great for our Delhi/Punjab or generally up North team-bhpians as a tourer. As long as those horribly puny tyres are replaced with fatter, grippier rubber straight from the showroom and a custom underbody sump guard and engine guard plates are fitted.

Compared to the Honda City (which is a terrific all-rounder by itself), the Amaze diesel offers unbeatably good range and the ability to offer nearly full power and torque figures even at high altitudes, where the City's NA engine would feel out of breath offering slightly lower levels of comfort and space for much less money. I won't be surprised if this car is driven extensively to Kashmir or the North East.
Motored Mindset is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 13:35   #593
BHPian

Had a look at the Amaze at Solitaire Honda, Andheri west and must say the car really looks handsome, especially when seen from the rear and quarter angle. The swooping lines just add more panache and really liked it more than the ANHC! The Blue and Silver look best of the lot. And then the DZire drove past and what a fat, ugly blob it looked from the same view.

This is a fitting ad for Maruti. The person being the Swift. The punch is Honda and would like to add a KO in the ad !!

coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 16:24   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post

Was he charged anything for this? Please update as it will help others about how to deal with this situation.
I don't know but the executive was telling him that the bumper had cracked and needs to be replaced. It was not a small scratch but a dent and a crack

On the test drive gate sheet that we were made to fill, it was clearly mentioned that we will be responsible for any damage during the test drive.
Old 14th April 2013, 16:39   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
The premium hatchbacks will be hit really hard by the AMAZE.

So any hatchback touching or crossing 8 lakhs will face the heat from Amaze big time.
Indeed because the tax benefits are similar to hatchbacks and compact sedans. So its a trade off. We Indians like the big car image and Amaze brings that at the price of a hatchback. So yes, hatchbacks will suffer a bit for sure.
Old 14th April 2013, 18:58   #596

Went to pride honda today to book Amaze S i DTEC diesel variant. I have earlier seen the Amaze before its launch when i went to get my Brio serviced. Being a current owner of Brio i must say i am AmazeD. I feel that Honda has priced Amaze sensibly except for its high end VX variant. I somehow feel that the top of the line variant VX doesn't command a 1 lakh premium over the S variant.

I was asked to pay 25,000 as the booking amount and waiting time quoted by the sales executive is 5 months The reason he quoted was that they already have 250+ bookings of Amaze diesel and 95+ booking of Amaze Petrol and more booking are pouring in as i speak. Maybe this is the first time Honda is experiencing a very high demand for one of their cars but 5 months waiting period is more than i can wait for. I am yet to call other dealers in Hyderabad and find out if they can deliver the car in 2 months time frame.

I really hope Honda does something to address this long waiting period issue. But i don't think that will happen anytime soon until their second plant in Rajasthan becomes functional by 2014. With the next generation Jazz launching in early 2014 and next generation Honda City launch a little after that, Honda will definitely regain its lost turf. Sadly there are no plans for a Diesel Honda Brio according to Hironori Kanayama, President and CEO of Honda Cars India
Old 14th April 2013, 20:07   #597
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately long waiting queue has become yardstick to measure a vehicle's success. So much that we Indians dont buy it unless we see 3-4 months waiting period and also Dealers must be so much under pressure to show 4-5 months of waiting period so that we don't pressurize them for freebie like Perfume and car cover, Hence their margin. Even Chevy dealers say so for Sail sedan isnt it ?

On a more serious note, I think Honda definitely has a production crunch so waiting lines are bound to increase. But I read somewhere that they had prepared an inventory of 10K cars and possible monthly target of 5-6K cars. If we are seeing such high demands, that means Honda is staring at 10-15K requests per month !!
Old 14th April 2013, 20:14   #598
Senior - BHPian

Went with my friend today to a dealer at Bangalore, and delivery quoted was 3 months. Hard to gulp down a 5 month waiting period at Hyderabad.

It was nice to read Raj Shenoy's views on waiting period, took me ages back when my dad had booked a Vijay Super Scooter and waited and waited and waited.
Old 14th April 2013, 20:17   #599
BHPian

Did a test drive today at magnum Honda, I was really impressed with the space in the back. Engine even though a tad noisy is pretty smooth, turbo lag is almost absent. With 5 inboard and ac on the car pulled effortlessly. The car looks like a proper sedan from every angle.
The waiting period was quoted as minimum 3 months. They already had 150+ bookings. I am planning to book the base E variant. Interestingly in the base variant we get only 3 colours - white, black and silver. If we go for the next variant I.e EX we get additional option of blue. If we want red or titanium it's only available from S variant onwards.
Old 14th April 2013, 20:18   #600
BHPian

Honda Amaze Diesel E variant or Petrol S variant?

Hello Team-BHP Members, this is Rakshith.
I am confused between the petrol and diesel variants of the newly launched Honda Amaze.
The problem is that, as my company is buying the car for me, they have set the limit for ex-showroom price for 6 lakh rupees. Since the amaze is Honda's first diesel in India I am thinking of buying the same but can afford only the E variant with ABS and EBD as standard!
Where as in the petrol segment I can go for the S variant and a host of inbuilt features in the car but no ABS and EBD!
Even from the exterior the diesel E variant does not have full wheel caps and comes only with silver painted steel rims which look very odd on a sedan whereas the petrol variant has full wheel caps on them which complements the overall look of the car.
So please help me decide on which variant should I go for, keeping in mind my tight budget of 6 lakh rupees!
Eagerly waiting for your views and suggestions.
Rakshith.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks