Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 12:09   #841
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Well, well, well! I dont find this comment quite positive for Amaze (no offence to Indigo CS owners).

Indigo might have done this to Maruti, hope Amaze does it finally.
I guess this could be because of Indigo brand. But, IMO it was Indigo that was responsible for demise of Esteem & restricted Baleno's success to some extent.

Maruti Suzuki fought back & wrested supremacy with the old Dzire, & then came the Indigo CS, which did not succeed, but the idea (under 4M sedan) was revolutionary & the packaging brilliant (except for the quality of interiors), as none of the top car companies had thought of any such product till then, despite having all the knowhow, skills & money.

The new Dzire is just a bad implementation of the idea, but it still sells well because of the brand value.
Old 30th April 2013, 12:20   #842
Senior - BHPian

Off topic : Indigo CS was better looking and more proportional then Indigo.

In any case I think Amaze looks good and proportional because Brio looks like a car chopped off from middle had it been more rotounded and fuller like Swift/Indica then they couldn't have created a well balanced seadan.
Old 30th April 2013, 12:38   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

I guess this could be because of Indigo brand. But, IMO it was Indigo that was responsible for demise of Esteem & restricted Baleno's success to some extent.

Maruti Suzuki fought back & wrested supremacy with the old Dzire, & then came the Indigo CS, which did not succeed, but the idea (under 4M sedan) was revolutionary & the packaging brilliant (except for the quality of interiors), as none of the top car companies had thought of any such product till then, despite having all the knowhow, skills & money.

The new Dzire is just a bad implementation of the idea, but it still sells well because of the brand value.
Indigo CS still holds the best interior space with adequate boot space when compared to Amaze and Dzire.
It has got a proper dashboard,standard sized seats and yet offers good legroom and headroom at the back.
It can accomodate three people at the back more comfortably. 360 litre of boot is quite good too.

We can surely appreciate it for space utilisation. Tata is very good at that.

Calling dzire as a bad implementation of this concept will be little harsh on the car. Reason being :
- Swift was never designed to accomodate a boot at the back.
- Swift is more style oriented than space efficient.

Within 4 metres what Maruti has achieved isnt that bad.
Turbokick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 23:54   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
:

And Honda enjoys a better brand value than Suzuki because of the high levels of quality and refinement. So Amaze in my opinion will be a better car to choose from the Dzire and Amaze. What say?
Old 1st May 2013, 15:16   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Attachment 1078961

Interestingly ingear acceleration and top speed of dzire is also better than amaze as per Autocar.

Amaze vs Dzire (in secs)
20-80(3rd gear) : 13.53 vs 11.80
40-100(4th gear) : 15.09 vs 13.71
I'm intrigued by these numbers. If Amaze really is better at driveability, why is its roll-on figures below that of dZire's by more than a second? Any thoughts on these?
Old 1st May 2013, 22:45   #846
Senior - BHPian

I saw the Amaze in person today and i really dont find it much of looker. The Chevy Sail is certainly the best looker in this segment.
Old 1st May 2013, 23:12   #847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post

I'm intrigued by these numbers. If Amaze really is better at driveability, why is its roll-on figures below that of dZire's by more than a second? Any thoughts on these?
I only hope that these figures are not like the 'dzireable mileage' event figures given by maruti suzuki which is like duckworth lewis system in cricket.
Nobody knows how they arrive at a certain figure

Moreover these days I don't believe any auto magazine's figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I saw the Amaze in person today and i really dont find it much of looker. The Chevy Sail is certainly the best looker in this segment.
Looks...are always subjective my friend.

Some people call the Dzire as a beauty and others call it ugly!
One of my friends once called Punto as an ugly hatchback...I only kept quiet
Brio appeals to some but not everyone.
Sail for me is a decent looking car while you call it the best

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 23:15   #848
Senior - BHPian

I am having second thoughts on Amaze vs Dzire debate. Whats the point of having a 100 ps engine if the top speed is to be restricted at 140 kmph? Ultimately, the much less powerful Dzire would have a faster top end and not to mention, better interiors as well.

Is it really true that the top end is restricted to 140 kmph on the Amaze?
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 00:21   #849
BHPian

This is my first post on T-Bhp.

I did test drive the Amaze Diesel 4 days ago. I have a few things to add, but before I do that, I drive a Swift ZDI, so my perspective will be a sort of comparison to my daily ride though it's not the Swift is not a sedan. Anyway...

Like many other's experience, I too parked my car outside the dealership next to the Amaze Diesel TD car. Not inside the dealership.

The color of the TD car and also the car on display was Blue. Probably Amaze looks best in that color. I don't know for sure, simply because I've not seen Amaze in any other color. Did not really like the looks of Amaze but the boot looks way better than Dzire. Car's seems puny & is not as tall as Dzire, Swift etc. Paint looks OK, while the sheet metal feels to be thin. 15" Wheels are a must for Amaze though they don't offer this option even in the top variant. I opened the boot first before I got into the car. Boot's spacious, which is good, while the boot lid is awkward with exposed wires, no padding & also sounds tinny when shut. Once inside, I was shocked by the sparse looking dashboard. I had read about this earlier but this certainly looks cheap, just like my old Indica. Plastic material doesn't seem to be cheap though. And the Dials - what was Honda thinking?? I like that way the dash curves away from the seats - this liberates quite a bit of legroom.

Audio is sort of OK though the Double DIN Head Unit looks like some sort of a kiddy toy. No Auto A/C even in the top version. Too bad (more about this later).

Seat cushion is thinner & the seat too is smaller than that in the Swift. It is narrower too. Is the car narrower than Swift/Dzire, I did not compare the specs. Thigh support for the driver's seat is about average.

The space at rear is really impressive. Here too the seat cushions are not really thick nor are the seats sufficiently wide. Two passengers can sit comfortably. In fact, if the side bolstering weren't there, the seats could've accommodated 3 in relatively good comfort, but these are a must for sedans, I guess. Headroom at rear will not be sufficient for tall people. Honda have cut the depth of the seats to make more legroom. This is evident in my friends Jazz too.

One thing that really sticks out is the snooty behavior of the executives. We were promptly attended by the receptionist who promised to give us a TD. And then we were left to our own devices. There were only 2 other sets of prospective customers. I had to ask them thrice before they nodded their heads for a TD.

Like I mentioned before, I had parked my Swift next to the TD car. It was not a covered parking lot & the midday sun was blazing away (around 1:20 PM). TD car was the variant just below the top variant. On entering the car, interiors were really hot. My dad, who accompanied me, sat in the rear, while the lady executive sat in the passenger's seat. On cranking the ignition the car jumped to a start. Yes, literally it did. It was disconcerting. Switched off the ignition, looked at the executive in disbelief. She camly told me that this was normal. I cranked the car once again, same effect! And the engine - it sounded rough, maybe not as bad as our old Indica but not much better either. Heck, it's probably the least refined of all small capacity engines except for... you guessed it, the NA Indica. Clutch is light, which is nice. No discernible Turbo Lag either. Gently took off. 100 PS of power doesn't reach the wheels, I think. Though the car is not sluggish, in-gear acceleration is waaay bad. Perhaps I expected more, but the car definitely did not feel as sprightly as my Swift ZDI.

Midway through the TD, my dad asks me if the A/C is switched off with just the blower running. No! says the sales executive, it at full blast. This is a shocker. It does not cool well. Right after the TD, when we got into my Swift, the Auto A/C set at 23 Degrees cooled the car within 1 minute. Unexpected from the Amaze, I must say.

Brakes are really good. Much better than the Swift. I'm not sure about the handling, fun-to-drive factor etc, cause the TD was done on straight highway with not turns except a U-Turn. Ah! the steering is light, not sure how good it is at high speeds though as I did not exceed 65(there are automatic speed sensing cameras on this stretch of the road).

Overall, I feel Honda rushed into introducing the Amaze. They certainly should have worked on the refinement & NVH. I mean, people buy a Honda for its refinement & reliability. I was disappointed. And it needs better seats, better dashboard & plusher interiors. A family who came to book the Amaze Petrol didn't like the car & they were seen inspecting the Brio when I left the showroom.

I was sort of looking to upgrade to the Amaze top end version, but came back very disappointed. Oh well!
snappysam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 08:52   #850
BHPian

Honda Cars India Ltd crossed 22,000 bookings for the Amaze.

Source: http://www.business-standard.com/art...0200001_1.html
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:59   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am having second thoughts on Amaze vs Dzire debate. Whats the point of having a 100 ps engine if the top speed is to be restricted at 140 kmph? Ultimately, the much less powerful Dzire would have a faster top end and not to mention, better interiors as well.

Is it really true that the top end is restricted to 140 kmph on the Amaze?
I really feel that interior quality and ambience is very important in a car. The max amount of time is spent inside a car and on that front, the Dzire wins. The space is marginally better in the Amaze but the ambience of the Dzire is unbeatable. Its even better than the more expensive City.
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:02   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
Honda Cars India Ltd crossed 22,000 bookings for the Amaze.

HCIL despatched 4,852 units of the latest sedan Amaze in April.

Cheers!
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:16   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I only hope that these figures are not like the 'dzireable mileage' event figures given by maruti suzuki which is like duckworth lewis system in cricket.
Nobody knows how they arrive at a certain figure

Moreover these days I don't believe any auto magazine's figures

Looks...are always subjective my friend.

Some people call the Dzire as a beauty and others call it ugly!
One of my friends once called Punto as an ugly hatchback...I only kept quiet
Brio appeals to some but not everyone.
Sail for me is a decent looking car while you call it the best

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

Respectfully agree sir. My opinions are based on what i saw and i saw a car that has terrible sheet metal quality and a tiny appearance. The Sail looks a little more muscular IMHI. Im not saying that ill choose the Sail over this car.
The Mini Sedan market in India is huge and unique to our country, i feel it may now warrant Auto Manufacturers to develop proper sedans in the future for the segment. If they build a hatch, they should keep in mind the fact that a sedan version would be built as well. The Dzire could have been a lot sweeter to look at if Suzuki would have thought about it when the Swift was being developed. The segment above the Mini Sedans has some great boot jobs like the Vento, Verna, and Linea.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:28   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
HCIL despatched 4,852 units of the latest sedan Amaze in April.

Cheers!
As per Honda figures, (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/19819612.cms) they sold 1,917 honda city and 1,628 brio.

If we compare this figures with march sales (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html), it was 3432 and 3917 respectively.

Does this mean cannibalism by Amaze?
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:33   #855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojipg View Post
Is there a reason why the top speed is limited to 140 km/hr ??
Safety? Brio/Amaze has not been tested by an independent crash testing facility as far as i know, i have searched for it a lot and even emailed Honda asking for info regarding this, but haven't heard from them so far and i don't think i will get a reply. This car's safety rating is unknown in the public domain. This is the only thing that is worrying me about the Brio/Amaze as of now considering the performance it has on tap.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks