Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2013, 19:11   #1186
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I paid 28K INR for my VX D insurance. I was travelling immediately after the booking , hence couldn't do much.

But the dealer experience has been really disappointing. Having owned a Zen , Lancer and a 2010 City and given my experience with these dealers , I would say Dakshin Honda ranks lowest. Just back from the first service , I got the car back with soiled seats , dirty windshield and wheel rims. I did get this sorted out immediately , but this isn't something you expect when service your car for the first time !

I decided to fit window visors for which I was quoted 4K INR. Unfortunately for the dealers , I got hold of the price tag on the box which said 2766 INR. When I spoke about this to the Operations Manager at DH , initially she said 4 K is including installation charges and that prices have gone up now. It's only when I showed her the pic that I had taken , did she start saying there must have been a confusion with the Civic price list. And that the actual price is 3 K

Later on they said they would charge me 2% if I made a card payment saying its company policy. I said I would make the payment , but would mail the same to Honda. Like all things here in our country , it's only threats like this that work. She started apologising saying it was mistake in communication and that they wouldn't charge me anything additional. She also begged with me on not emailing this " small issue " to Honda.
Did I read that correctly? Rs 28k for insurance??? Or was that a typo?

Man, that is BAD service! They tried to pull a fast one on you but perhaps they did not know that they were dealing with a Senior-BHPian .

My dealer also insisted on charging extra for card payment. When I said I shall use my DEBIT card, the wise cashier said, you will still have to pay the extra 2%!! Can you believe that? Then the salesperson intervened and saw to it that the 2% was not charged. This was when I had to pay for the zero depreciation, etc. at the time of delivery (everything else was already paid).
Old 18th June 2013, 20:11   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Did I read that correctly? Rs 28k for insurance??? Or was that a typo?

Yes . Its is 28 K INR I might transfer the NCB (60%) from my Zen into this when I renew next year .
Old 18th June 2013, 20:47   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Talking about engines I would say the engines are quite evenly matched with comparable level of performance. Ivtec 1.2 is in Brio is quite free revving and has got a good overall balance of power and fuel efficiency.
K series in dzire is no push over either. It has slight lack of initial response but in terms of refinement it is actually little better than Honda!
Just like the ivtec it loves revs and has got respectable level of performance.

I would say both engines are at par. Chevy's Beat based smartec engine I feel wont be as peppy or smooth.

So it boils down to what your other requirements are.
For space and Honda status, Amaze scores.
For interior finesse and Maruti widespread network, dzire clicks.
Thanks for the perspective @Turbokick, I TDed Dzire-ZXI today; Engine was indeed responsive and I didn't find any problem with the entire package; only glitch in not going for upper trims of AMAZE so as to get more features comparable to Dzire, is I have kind of thought of restraining my budget to something like Rs.6.75 Lacs. Had requested for opinion on Chevy's SMARTECH because want to consider Sail(Sedan) 1.2 BS too as an option as I liked the equipment inside and overall shape of the Car. Please share your views on this especially the mileage part. Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @amitksvs

Have you considered the notorious weak brakes on lower Swift/ Dzire models? My friend has a Dzire & is not happy with the brakes, sort of just passing days with the car that ran just 5K kms in 1 year & drives his older Wagon-R more.

Moreover, many Maruti-Suzuki customers, especially those bigger cities, are now complaining that service costs are rising gradually & alarmingly.

I would suggest even you have to wait a bit, the Amaze is not a bad choice, if only the dash design could be better.

Best of Luck
@CARDEEP, One of the most prominent apprehensions I had was about the Brakes only along with the derriere of new Dzire. though what I TDed today was top end trim (ZXI, which was never reported to have Braking issues), what I read on a few forums was that this Braking issue erupted because of insufficient vacuum for brake boosters at engine RMPs falling below a certain threshold, and it has now been taken care of by reprogramming/flashing the ECM/ECU by the manufacturer/MASS; don't know how true is that, present Dzire owners (especially the LXI and VXI) would be best to confirm that and I am presuming that it has been taken care of actually.

Regarding the service costs, spoke to a few friends who have Dzire, they seemed to be completely satisfied though none of them had much of miles clocked-in.

Another positive with Dzire which not many have mentioned is the Ingress and Egress from the vehicle, which I found much better in Dzire compared to Amaze; not to forget high seat benches which I somehow find more comfortable compared to much lower seats in Amaze.
Old 18th June 2013, 21:50   #1189
BHPian

I own the VDi variant of Dzire and I must admit the fact that brakes arent strong enough for the kind of pace the car is capable of. Not that the car wont stop but at higher speeds it could have done with some more bite. Its a case with most Marutis, brakes aren't that strong.
Another complain I have is regarding the kind of skinny tyres it has got on lower variants. Tyres give up before the chassis does.

Neither is a deal breaker but could have been better for sure.

My family has recently got an Amaze. Few things I would like to add :

- You seat higher in dzire. Ingress is easier as well. Amaze is more sportier in terms of seating position.
- Rear leg room is better with Amaze. Headroom and seat width is similar. You seat little higher in dzire and upright too.

- Both are diesel variants. Controls are lighter in Amaze. Clutch and steering in particular.

- Dzire feels more solid than Amaze overall. Though both have light build.

- NVH (engine / road noise) better with Dzire.

- Visibility and overall sense of airiness is better with Amaze.

- Maintenance should not be a thing of concern with either petrol cars.

Diesel variants is a different debate but if you ask me about petrol variants I would personally prefer Dzire.

Reasons being :
- More premium interiors
- Better (higher) driving position and comfort.
- Better refinement
- Car feels more solid overall.
- Overall car dynamics

Amaze scores in terms of rear seat space, boot volume and better braking capabilities.

Talking about Chevy Sail. My experience is only limited with diesel variant.

Few things I liked about the car :
- Looks better than both Amaze and Dzire.
- Ride quality is excellent.
- Rear seat can accommodate three people better
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 10:31   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitksvs View Post
@9thsphinx, request your comments too.
Haven't had any experience with the Suzuki VVT engines, but like I mentioned above the iVtec's are a different ball game altogether. Our old Honda City was 1.3L DOHC engine which really wasn't a Vtec engine but since the trouble free ownership of that car, we have vouched for a Honda. Every single time we look for a new car there's always the faithful Honda to be considered - which is why we bought the Jazz against the i20 (which we eventually bought later) and the Civic against the Corolla.

We only have tried, owned and experienced Hyundais and Hondas in the past so I can't comment on any of the rest, but if the Amaze is asking you to wait may be you really should - I would.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 12:15   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Interesting discussion now being myself in shoes of a Honda owner I would like to find out what makes ivtec engine so great ? I have read it several times before but found the expression in subjective terms and without any technical details. I mean yes the petrol engine is silent and smooth in Amaze but so is every other petrol engine in a new car.

Even sales person told me "Sir this has ivtec " and I asked "so? how is it helpful to me as a customer ? " got no proper response.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 12:59   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post

Diesel variants is a different debate but if you ask me about petrol variants I would personally prefer Dzire.

Reasons being :
- More premium interiors
- Better (higher) driving position and comfort.
- Better refinement
- Car feels more solid overall.
- Overall car dynamics
The seat height adjustment is good in Amaze and as per Honda, the range is much more than Dzire, around 200 mm more (do not remember the exact mm). I am 6' 2" tall and could easily find a comfortable seat height with adequate leg room in Amaze.
Old 19th June 2013, 13:42   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Dropping by this thread just to find out what is the situation about Amaze.
I have so far not seen a single car on the roads in Pune. Is this due to production constraints?
Old 19th June 2013, 13:54   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have so far not seen a single car on the roads in Pune. Is this due to production constraints?
I have seen 2 red amaze yesterday in Pune while 1 amaze in silver near my residence in Talegaon.
Old 19th June 2013, 14:51   #1195
BANNED

I saw an Amaze and a Brio parked next to each other in a Mall in Mumbai. I must say the boot space in the Amaze is really Amazing!
Old 19th June 2013, 14:59   #1196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There was no Honda dealer in our city until a few months ago. Hence, there were not too many Honda cars in Ranchi. Most were bought from Kolkata. But with opening up of a dealership, I can see quite a few Amaze (s) on city roads. I must say that it really looks like a well-proportioned car from outside. In the interior side, I feel the dashboard is too basic.

Interestingly, I can suddenly see a lot of Brio (s) on roads now. Both price cut & the dealer availability has helped the cause. I am sure that Brio is selling in good numbers in our city.
Old 19th June 2013, 15:44   #1197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Really? I see at least one Amaze everyday - and its not the same one . The most I saw were 3 in a day, when I went to Hinjewadi to drop wify to office at the rush hour this Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Interesting discussion now being myself in shoes of a Honda owner I would like to find out what makes ivtec engine so great ? I have read it several times before but found the expression in subjective terms and without any technical details. I mean yes the petrol engine is silent and smooth in Amaze but so is every other petrol engine in a new car.

Even sales person told me "Sir this has ivtec " and I asked "so? how is it helpful to me as a customer ? " got no proper response.
Agree with you totally. Isn't i-VTec just the trademarked name for variable valve timing from Honda? Today majority of the new petrol motors on our roads have VVT.
I don't think VVT / i-Vtec is directly linked to the engine being silent. Isn't it more to do with fuel efficiency? Of course, as with all machines, the VVT also does its tiny part in the overall end result from the silent engine perspective.

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th June 2013 at 15:48.
Old 19th June 2013, 17:20   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitksvs View Post
@CARDEEP, One of the most prominent apprehensions I had was about the Brakes only along with the derriere of new Dzire. though what I TDed today was top end trim (ZXI, which was never reported to have Braking issues), what I read on a few forums was that this Braking issue erupted because of insufficient vacuum for brake boosters at engine RMPs falling below a certain threshold, and it has now been taken care of by reprogramming/flashing the ECM/ECU by the manufacturer/MASS; don't know how true is that, present Dzire owners (especially the LXI and VXI) would be best to confirm that and I am presuming that it has been taken care of actually.

Regarding the service costs, spoke to a few friends who have Dzire, they seemed to be completely satisfied though none of them had much of miles clocked-in.

Another positive with Dzire which not many have mentioned is the Ingress and Egress from the vehicle, which I found much better in Dzire compared to Amaze; not to forget high seat benches which I somehow find more comfortable compared to much lower seats in Amaze.
I agree that the after the ECU upgrade the braking problem in lower RPMs has been solved, but, the poor brakes on L & V variants, unfortunately, hasn't been solved. The company doesn't seems to accept the same in first place, but, almost all owners are unhappy. Few on forum also comment that previous gen had much better brakes.

Regarding service costs, it is a recent phenomenon & there is a thread in TBHP as well (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...heap-myth.html).

with you on the ingress & egress part, where the DZire scores again over Amaze, but, the latter is bit more spacious than the former overall as per my experience with the display models.
Old 19th June 2013, 18:07   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't know about Pune but in Delhi/NCR and Mumbai, I have spotted plenty of Amaze both in i-VTEC and i-DTEC variants.
Old 19th June 2013, 19:06   #1200

Quote:
We got our Amaze diesel VX-MT delivered 2 weeks ago in Pune and so far I am impressed with the drive and space in the car. Being a previous owner of Honda City and Swift Dzire, I will recommend Amaze anytime over Dzire.

Most Viewed