Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2014, 19:15   #2116
BANNED

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Took delivery of my Amaze EX(Diesel) variant today.
For a car which costs 8 lakh on-road i am truly amazed as to how one has to adjust the ORVM's!
Open the windows, put your hand out and adjust the mirror. You should not even think of adjusting the left ORVM as it is beyond reach! There is no joystick inside like most cars have, even my decade old Indica had them.
Also i couldn't find 12V charging point anywhere!
Ridiculous!
Hey PPS !

CONGRATS on the new Amaze. Could you pl throw some light on switching from an Indica to an Amaze ? I mean from TATA to Honda ? I have not come across such individuals so far ? Just curiosity.

And yes, the cost cutting on these (read Amaze / Etios) vehicles does actually AMAZE ! (el-cheapo ideas, whosoever thought of them). I would have switched to cheaper brands (read JK / MRF) and skinny tyres (New City aka masha-allah), removed all the wheel well casings, lesser tools, no spare bulb, bare minimum owner manual, thinner carpeting inside, thinner roof liner, etc to reduce costs. Not the manual / cable driven OVRM adjuster - what would it cost incrementally (beats me). 12V charging point, yes, costs money for the extra wiring / looming, capacity of battery + charging as also extra fuse and the charging point cost itself.
Old 9th March 2014, 19:42   #2117
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
CONGRATS on the new Amaze. Could you pl throw some light on switching from an Indica to an Amaze ? I mean from TATA to Honda ? I have not come across such individuals so far ? Just curiosity.
Thanks. Some bhpian (don't recollect his handle) upgraded from a Zen to an Audi!
Family sold off the Indica more than 5yrs back. Space was the biggest USP of that car! It isn't really an upgrade. We recently sold our Octavia, presently own a Dzire bought last year, an ageing Swift & now this Amaze. Was trying to convince my Dad to upgrade to a Honda City but he isn't fond of bigger cars.
Old 9th March 2014, 20:38   #2118
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Also i couldn't find 12V charging point anywhere!
Ridiculous!
I also have the E-Variant petrol. The mirror, I can understand to keep costs low, but lack of damn charging point bugs me. Even vase alto has charging point. It is not just the lack of charging point but there is no provision for it also. Normally they provide a space in the maruthi dash where you can remove the circular piece on the dash to put the charging point but in this case, nothing is available. I drilled a hole and put a standard cigarette lighter with fuse directly connected to battery so as not to affect any electrical warranty. this doesn't touch any other electrical system of car etc battery and the advantage is that charges your phone/and keeps GPS on even when key is off.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 23:31   #2119
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I also have the E-Variant petrol. The mirror, I can understand to keep costs low,
But how much would an internal joystick to adjust the ORVM's cost them?! They have provided power windows for all doors which is a good thing.
Also another thing which i forgot to mention in my earlier post was the lack of wheel caps! The dealership has quoted 8k for them.
Old 9th March 2014, 23:37   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But how much would an internal joystick to adjust the ORVM's cost them?! They have provided power windows for all doors which is a good thing.
Also another thing which i forgot to mention in my earlier post was the lack of wheel caps! The dealership has quoted 8k for them.
It's not about the cost they want to push customers to next variant entry level model is to pull customers to showroom on price point and then upsell him next variant.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 09:43   #2121
BHPian

Guys! I just sold my swift vdi after running it for 1.74 lac kms, in about 5 yrs time.

I am thinking of Amaze as a replacement. Do you think its worth over say a swift/ dzire??

Your comments would be very welcome as I intend to finalise this today or max. By tommorrow.

Thanks

- Rishi
Old 10th March 2014, 10:05   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Guys! I just sold my swift vdi after running it for 1.74 lac kms, in about 5 yrs time.

I am thinking of Amaze as a replacement. Do you think its worth over say a swift/ dzire??

Your comments would be very welcome as I intend to finalise this today or max. By tommorrow.

Thanks

- Rishi
I have both the new dzire vdi and amaze vxmt idtec . Amaze for good FE average , handling , less regular maintanence cost and lot of inside space especially the back seat . Bad for ordinary looking dash , very high nvh , bad music system , no standard security system in the top end version too only immobiliser , doors do not auto lock . Dzire for good dash , interiors , no nvh problem , great music system generally cheaper spares , security system and immobilser standard fitment . Bad for very very less back seat space compared to amaze , expensive routine service , turbo lag very less boot space . You decide now Sir
anky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 10:20   #2123
BHPian

I think anky has very well summarized the pros and cons for each. To add to the list, you can factor in the below situations to decide whether or not to go for Amaze:
1. In-City driving: Amaze behaves superbly while driving around inside the city - mainly due to absence of turbo lag. Even on highway, it is a competent handler.
2. Turbo-Kick: Yes. I miss the turbo-kick in my Amaze (after driving MJD for 4 years) and I am sure you are going to miss it.
3. Power: From power rating perspective, Amaze is rated at 100ps. This may matter when you are carrying 5 or more passengers and boot full of luggage. Because of it's linear power distribution, you will find it easy to drive Amaze.
Old 10th March 2014, 10:53   #2124
BHPian

Quote:

Swift Diesel is a better driving machine than Amaze Desire. Amaze also has a more NVH as the engine is lighter & new age. Did you take a test drive?

If you want to 'upgrade' from Swift Diesel to a new hatch, you should look at following in order:

1. i20 Diesel
2. Punto 90HP
3. Swift Diesel
4. Liva Diesel
Old 10th March 2014, 11:01   #2125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....I am thinking of Amaze as a replacement. Do you think its worth over say a swift/ dzire??

Your comments would be very welcome as I intend to finalise this today or max. By tommorrow....
Have you TDed both? Since you are upgrading from a Swift, chances are low that Amaze will impress you unless you need good space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
...If you want to 'upgrade' from Swift Diesel to a new hatch, you should look at following in order:

1. i20 Diesel
2. Punto 90HP
3. Swift Diesel
4. Liva Diesel
Out of this, I personally consider ONLY i20 as an "upgrade".

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 10th March 2014 at 11:03.
Old 10th March 2014, 12:34   #2126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks

- Rishi
Judging from your pick of amaze i am guessing you want a sedan only. All pros and cons have been already stated by Anky.
If you are looking for a sedan in that budget Amaze is a very good choice. As for its high NVH, it can be easily solved by damping. As for Dzire if you are fine with less legroom and boot space its an excellent buy and interiors are much better than Amaze.
I will also suggest you to wait for a couple of days as Xcent is supposed to be launched by 12th march. So, you can have a better perspective.

In hatchback i20 is the best option and a worthy upgrade from Swift.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 13:54   #2127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
In hatchback i20 is the best option and a worthy upgrade from Swift.
One of my close friends is in the market for a powerful diesel car, smaller the size the better for him. He drives long distances, often alone, thus space is not one of the requirements. He needs power & good ride quality. I have recommended him the following cars in that order.

1. Amaze- I have not driven it yet, but guess that power & ride quality should not be a problem. He would have been probably more happier if Brio had this diesel engine & if Brio is a match to Amaze as regards the ride quality.

2. Polo-1.6 TDI- Only problem to us is it's not VFM.

3. i-20 - concern is about ride quality, but I think since he travels alone most of the time, ride quality may not be an issue. The other thing which comes to mind is 2014- i-20 is due shortly which will make current i-20 a little obsolete.

4. Swift- Chance is power can be an issue for him, but I feel, with tuning box, my friend can be made happy.

He rejected Punto (for apparently poor service experience), Figo, Liva, Micra/Pulse, i-10 Grand, Beat (due to lesser engine power). He has no budget for Vento, City, Rapid etc.

If any other car comes to your mind or if you disagree with our order of preference, please share your thoughts. Inputs from Amaze owners will be of great help, since this car is on the top of the list.

Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 16:11   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
One of my close friends is in the market for a powerful diesel car, smaller the size the better for him. He drives long distances, often alone, thus space is not one of the requirements. He needs power & good ride quality. I have recommended him the following cars in that order.

1. Amaze- I have not driven it yet, but guess that power & ride quality should not be a problem. He would have been probably more happier if Brio had this diesel engine & if Brio is a match to Amaze as regards the ride quality.
I was also in similar mindset when I went to the market for new car-hunt. In the 7 - 10 L on-road price range, I believe only Amaze has better power rating @ 100ps. Having said that and having owned Amaze Diesel for about 6 months now, I would not rate the ride quality higher than - let's say Polo or Etios. The ride quality is just above average, but the car has lots of power to do 3 digit speeds easily on the highway.

If your friend drives more on Highway and expects the 'sudden surge' of power/acceleration from the car, he may be little disappointed with Amaze. This is mainly because the power distribution is more linear and in comparison with other turbocharged diesels, say Fiat MJD, this engine is little bit slow to respond, especially while overtaking at relatively higher speeds.

If your friend can go little light on the 'Ride Quality' parameter, he can close his eyes and go for Amaze Diesel. Apart from great power, this car comes with excellent boot space, good cabin space and amazing fuel efficiency which are additional benefits for your friend.
Old 17th March 2014, 17:55   #2129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. Polo-1.6 TDI- Only problem to us is it's not VFM.
I don't own Amaze nor GT TDi, but for the same situation- I would have picked GT TDi with eyes closed. I feel it's good VFM compared to Amaze. Here's why-

1. Engine. Don't go by the specs. 1.6 TDi can really put a smile on your face when it's on song, but the case with iDTec is just the opposite. It's no nonsense, pulls cleanly, but rather rough and doesn't excite. To drive alone- I would clearly prefer the former.

2. Build quality- Miles ahead of the Honda. Amaze felt worse than Swift DZire to me in terms of metal quality, materials used etc- and usually Maruti is the one criticised.

3. Interiors- Properly solid and will age well. Amaze feels old and cheap now itself. Polo has a good practical boot, though it's less compared with amaze.

4. Features- Both cars are loaded with all basic features. Anyways, Amaze is also not loaded with futuristic features, unlike City.

Difference in Bangalore falls within 50k IIRC between GT TDi and Amaze VX, not sure what makes Amaze VFM?

In fact, in trivandrum - Amaze VX AT is 9L OTR, and the Vento TSi with its turbo petrol engine and dual clutch gearbox is 11L. I failed of see any VFM there, and didn't go ahead with a booking of Amaze last December, even though it was on top of my list- or rather the only one on my list back then.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 18:08   #2130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. Amaze-

2. Polo-1.6 TDI

3. i-20 -

4. Swift-
My pick will be Swift among this. Second one will be Polo 1.6 GT TDi (This will be first if you friend can afford and is OK with the supposedly higher service costs).

Most Viewed