Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 15:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento TDi Comfortline

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Does the extreme vision not perform well in rain? I already had real real issues when it rained. First the lighting is poor, then it is focused to a point and on top of it, I need not mention about rain.
Extreme vision emits whiter light as compared to the normal bulbs and so during rains its no better no worse than normal bulbs. If visibility during rain is of utmost importance then you will have to go the relay route.

Do check out the lighting thread. There is tons of information out there but the sheer amount of advice can be a little overwhelming.

I experimented with 130/100 with relay on my old swift. The bulb fused twice and the reflectors were fading while i sold it. Hence currently I stick on to extreme visions only for the past one year. Been trouble free so far. Touchwood!
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 18:03   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks amp and very true about perceptions and priority. That was why I had put the disclaimer :
It is just that the Micra more matches my personal preference

Were you sarcastic about the 'sloppy capture'? I was thinking that I was casual this time around, but glad that few guys liked it.
Sarcastic? If those snaps are sloppy what is the definition of brilliant?
Those snaps very much convey what you want to portray and with perfect clarity !

Very true about priorities. If that part is not clear, then we end up buying something which later we regret.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 18:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
A drop of water fell on my forearm while holding the steering!

I really don't know if it is a straight lift from the Polo but those are steel rims with clip-on wheel covers. Were you asking about the wheel covers or the rim size?
Are you sure that your window was fully closed? Even if the window appears closed, it may be open by just a few millimeters at the top. That could lead to some amount of water seeping in. It happened like that while we were cleaning our Rapid.

Sorry, my bad. I tend to get mixed up a little.
I was asking about the wheel covers. They look very similar to the ones on the Polo Refresh and not the ones that I am used to see on the Ventos.
Old 6th April 2013, 18:45   #19
BHPian

Congratulations ..

The Vento looks best in this color, and I must compliment on your photography/editing skills that to from a point and shoot !!

Drive Safe and keep us updated
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 00:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

congratulations Thoma on the new car and a good write up as well. I have not driven a Vento yet but have sat in my colleague's several times. Its definitely top notch quality inside and the only sore point for me was the clattery engine noise which doesnt really go away even after warming up, though power delivery seemed very nice and tourqey even with 4 people on board.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 10:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Extreme vision emits whiter light as compared to the normal bulbs
I guess extreme vision can still be classified as yellow? A quick search on the forum said so.

Quote:
and so during rains its no better no worse than normal bulbs.
I'll take it. My only concern is that I don't want to be stopped in the night for using white lights. And I don't want Volkswagen denying a warranty for using a different bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfreak View Post
Are you sure that your window was fully closed? Even if the window appears closed, it may be open by just a few millimeters at the top.
No way I dare call a Volkswagen leaking, after being stupid enough to leave the window not fully closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
the only sore point for me was the clattery engine noise which doesnt really go away even after warming up
I am guessing that the newer Ventos have addressed this issue. Some talk of the same is present on the Vento thread. I definitely don't feel the clatter as such, may be it is not super silent inside. Real clatter is what you hear from a K9K engine.
Old 8th April 2013, 10:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I guess extreme vision can still be classified as yellow? A quick search on the forum said so.

My only concern is that I don't want to be stopped in the night for using white lights.
No, you wont be stopped for using white light. Its 'whiter' as compared to normal bulbs but the difference is not much evident. Do not think anyone else will be able to make out the difference. So go for it.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 12:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

An FE update.

1080 kms took 62.44 liters of fuel. Comes to 17.3 kmpl. Running was with 100% A/C and mostly long drives (including ghat sections and a couple of redlining during the running-in) and little of city rides and very little B2B traffic.

I have noticed that the fuel gauge bars fall down very fast if we are hard on the accelerator.
Old 13th April 2013, 13:37   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1080 kms took 62.44 liters of fuel. Comes to 17.3 kmpl. Running was with 100% A/C and mostly long drives (including ghat sections and a couple of redlining during the running-in) and little of city rides and very little B2B traffic.

I have noticed that the fuel gauge bars fall down very fast if we are hard on the accelerator.
Thats good FE. Esp for the fact that its with AC on all the time. For the power and torque the engine has to offer, I would say its amazing. You drive a bit sedate, I am very sure, it may cross the 20 mark.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 14:40   #25
BHPian

17.3 kpl is really good with 100% AC! Well done, thoma.
I advice you not to redline the car for getting better results, as ampere said.

Drive Safe.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 19:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
I advice you not to redline the car for getting better results, as ampere said.
You are right that one should not red-line an engine often and moreover, it is needless to do so with a diesel. But I did it as part of the Vento running-in instructions from Volkswagen.
Old 13th April 2013, 19:29   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all congrats for your new purchase. A very nice write up too. The Vento TDI to me is always a special car. This car is comfortable, sturdy, handles well and above that it has got a very nice engine which is pretty much fun to drive. Wish you many many happy miles with your new car.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 23:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
An FE update.

congrats on your vento and a nice summary of your experience. Indeed good FE during run-in period. How do you drive ?
Old 14th April 2013, 09:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
congrats on your vento and a nice summary of your experience. Indeed good FE during run-in period. How do you drive ?
Thanks and by the way, I tend to drive sedately as the years pass by. I don't think one can gain much time in Kerala, driving fast, where a junction awaits you every other minute, even on the so-called highway.

I wanted to follow the running-in instructions from Volkswagen and had driven sedately till 1000 kms. But that does not mean it was like keeping a brick on the a-pedal; I took her through the RPMs on the ghats limiting the max RPM to around 3000. From there, I increased the max RPM in steps till she red-lined within the next 500 kms. All throughout, while hitting the next higher RPM, I made it a point to be not there for a long time and also to use engine braking right afterwards.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 11:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I took her through the RPMs on the ghats limiting the max RPM to around 3000. From there, I increased the max RPM in steps till she red-lined within the next 500 kms. .
I am close to 1k, but haven't touched the 3k rpm often (may be twice) and yes, do not drive that sedately , some times as choice and, sometimes what do you do when there is an honking from behind and not much space to give way, other thank driving fast ? The FE is probably around 3 kmpl. (calculated roughly, not the tank full method) less than what you nicely managed, with all through city driving (not B2B) and 100% AC on.

btw, do you follow the gear recommend-er ? as it always asks you to downshift at around 2k rpm. After reading your intro. i feel ECU has taken over me: driving at low rpm's i.e..

Last edited by stringbh : 14th April 2013 at 11:43. Reason: spelling

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks