Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2013, 11:29   #16
BHPian

re: Rene - The '13 Silver VW Vento 1.6 TDi Highline comes home!

Mate, congratulations on the car. Vento is indeed a great car to own. And the 2012 edition is a Killer Instincts Version. However, don't you think the new alloy design spoil the party, as overall the car has sober executive look, and suddenly you look at alloys and they are too sporty. Its not that the alloys designing is bad, but I think, they don't go well with the overall design of the car. I think, the earlier design alloys gelled well with the car.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 13:31   #17
BHPian

Congrats and wish you many happy miles with this beauty ! I have for now stuck to stock apollos as well (for many reasons) and they seem okay for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsingh007 View Post
Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDi
a video-game controller has more feedback on the steering wheel !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
  • Any paint-protection scheme taken? (Vento is prone to paint chipping due to small-stones)
please elaborate. what is the paint-care you suggest. I am about to ask a more general question on regular vento thread!

Last edited by stringbh : 19th April 2013 at 13:33.
Old 19th April 2013, 13:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
First of all let me congratulate you on making a considered decision to buy a VW Vento HL diesel. I am new to this forum, but has been using a black Vento HL diesel for the last 16 months and have enjoyed every minute of driving.

As regards the mods that you are planning, yes, the stock headlamps are pathetic and recently I changed them to Philips extreme vision 55-60 W bulbs, which makes a substantial difference, without the need for a relay. I would recommend them , unless you want to go for costlier upgrades. Many people in this forum have suggested going for 100 W bulbs like Philips essential vision with relay. They are right, but I don't want to get my warranty nullified, that too an extended warranty

I have been going on with the Apollo accelers and do not find any problem with it. I have not been bothered by the tyre noise, which is attributed to these tyres and find no problem in handling. They have served me now for 16000Kms and expect to get trouble free service for at least another 20K Kms. Again, go through these forums on tyre upgrade, you see even pictures of torn sidewalls of so called upgrades, which have hardly done 2000Kms. See for yourself how you feel with Apollos and if you feel thay are not good enough, do go for a change. You are the man behind the wheel. Personally, I do not feel it should be taken as a priority.

The only other mod I got done on my Vento was to get the seats changed to leather seats from Karlssons, Bangalore. I got a light beige scandinavian leather seats for my black Vento. For your Silver, go for black Nappa leather. Only a suggestion. Again, not on priority list

Have a great time and enjoy many more miles of driving with your Vento. All the best
Hi

I am considering changing the bulbs in my Rapid because the stock bulbs are disappointing to say the least. I am thinking of going for Philips XV. However, the only thing bothering me is how will it look with the stock fog lights as I am expecting a substantial colour temperature difference between my headlights and fog lights after changing to philips XV.

Since you are already using it, thought of asking you as you would be knowing how exactly it looks

And if possible please upload some pictures with the headlights and fog lights on. That would be a great help.
Old 19th April 2013, 13:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post

And if possible please upload some pictures with the headlights and fog lights on. That would be a great help.
I did not observe much problem with the colour temp difference between the headlights and the fog lamps. I will try to get some photos as soon as possible.
premc44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 13:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
please elaborate. what is the paint-care you suggest. I am about to ask a more general question on regular vento thread!
Try Visiting a 3M studio. They do have some paint protection schemes. And they aim directly to burn a hole in your wallet.

I didnot take any kind of paint protection scheme, there are some paint-chipping happening on my car.
mikon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 14:45   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on your new buy. Wish you many thousands of happy miles! Keep us posted about the changes and cost of services..
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 17:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
First of all let me congratulate you on making a considered decision to buy a VW Vento HL diesel. I am new to this forum, but has been using a black Vento HL diesel for the last 16 months and have enjoyed every minute of driving.

As regards the mods that you are planning, yes, the stock headlamps are pathetic and recently I changed them to Philips extreme vision 55-60 W bulbs, which makes a substantial difference, without the need for a relay. I would recommend them , unless you want to go for costlier upgrades. Many people in this forum have suggested going for 100 W bulbs like Philips essential vision with relay. They are right, but I don't want to get my warranty nullified, that too an extended warranty

I have been going on with the Apollo accelers and do not find any problem with it. I have not been bothered by the tyre noise, which is attributed to these tyres and find no problem in handling. They have served me now for 16000Kms and expect to get trouble free service for at least another 20K Kms. Again, go through these forums on tyre upgrade, you see even pictures of torn sidewalls of so called upgrades, which have hardly done 2000Kms. See for yourself how you feel with Apollos and if you feel thay are not good enough, do go for a change. You are the man behind the wheel. Personally, I do not feel it should be taken as a priority.

The only other mod I got done on my Vento was to get the seats changed to leather seats from Karlssons, Bangalore. I got a light beige scandinavian leather seats for my black Vento. For your Silver, go for black Nappa leather. Only a suggestion. Again, not on priority list

Have a great time and enjoy many more miles of driving with your Vento. All the best
Thank you , I hope my car serves as well as yours .
I do plan to change the headlights , before I take rene to the himachal pradesh for a trip ...
Somewhere around mid-may I plan to go to VW for a fluid topup and light upgrade .

I found hella's relay on Snapdeal and I believe it will be at par with the original quality ones . and plan on installation subject to approval by the S.A otherwise, Philips Xtreme Visions/ Osram NB+ will do .!

I have beige leatherette as stock and found them quite comfortable, durable easy to clean than the fabric seats ...it will be a pain in the backside to source good quality stuff (read seat covers and footmats et al) in my city as the aftermarket car accesories market is flodded with al-cheapo chinese stuff.

Right now, the only upgrade I've done is of the 3D Kagu Maxpider footmats that too were ordered from sparks car accessories in bangalore from Mohsin ..who couriered them to me in Amritsar ! ..great quality stuff and very essential for the light coloured carpets !

for aftermarket stuff , I can only hunt the internet , the local market is potentially useless.

As for tyres, I find them great , and apollo's are literally worshipped here owing to the fact that they make great truck and tractor tyres ...and they have bulletproof reliability attached to their name, atleast here in Punjab .

I also plan to upgrade the stock speakers as well , though I find the existing ones good , but I think polk audio may sound even better , though it's just still in cards , and it will pinch me to cough up money for them and I dont know how much difference would spending 10k make , is the upgrade worth the money ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
Yes. Philips Extreme Vision or Osram NB will surely be better than stock headlamps, but all you will get is the same boring yellow light, brighter than before!
As Premc44 said, he is using 55/60w bulbs on his Vento, and didn't need to change the relay. But, I think 100w bulb would be a great upgrade from stock halogens, even if you need to change the relay. But, it may void your warranty.
So the best option is to Visit a VW dealership (maybe during service/check-up) and ask them if changing relay from thier dealership will also void warranty. If they say that 'It will NOT', then get powerful bulbs available at the dealership and get the work done there itself. Else, you will have to live with 55/60W ones. BTW, I have heard about the Osram NB+, they are fairly bright and reliable.
the boring yellow light will do, I used to have Philips Diamond Vision on my Honda City V-Tec ...though it looked killer , were potentially useless in rains and the yellow light from the other car's headlight use to cut them , bad for the city , on the highway they use to reflect the reflectors and cat eyes vey well !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Mate, congratulations on the car. Vento is indeed a great car to own. And the 2012 edition is a Killer Instincts Version. However, don't you think the new alloy design spoil the party, as overall the car has sober executive look, and suddenly you look at alloys and they are too sporty. Its not that the alloys designing is bad, but I think, they don't go well with the overall design of the car. I think, the earlier design alloys gelled well with the car.
you are right about the alloys, I am planning to swap them for Polo 2012 alloys whenever I find them ! IMHO, they look killer

Quote:
Try Visiting a 3M studio. They do have some paint protection schemes. And they aim directly to burn a hole in your wallet.

I didnot take any kind of paint protection scheme, there are some paint-chipping happening on my car.
No 3M centers here in my city , I dont think we have one in the whole state
Even if there was one, the obscene pricing would have made it shut shop in less than six months .
economy here is screwed and nowhere close to bangalore or any other city/state !

besides that , I am getting a underbody coating by 3M from the dealership itself as It was promised on purchase ! , will get then done before monsoons arrive (end May)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Congratulations on your new buy. Wish you many thousands of happy miles! Keep us posted about the changes and cost of services..
Thank you , I will keep everyone updated !

Last edited by rahulsingh007 : 19th April 2013 at 18:15.
rahulsingh007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 11:42   #23
BHPian

you are right about the alloys, I am planning to swap them for Polo 2012 alloys whenever I find them ! IMHO, they look killer

I agree with you mate, the Polo 2012 alloys look classy. Bargain hard and I am sure you will get better deal from the dealer.
sawnilrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 10:34   #24
BHPian

Re: Rene - The '13 Silver VW Vento 1.6 TDi Highline comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post

I agree with you mate, the Polo 2012 alloys look classy. Bargain hard and I am sure you will get better deal from the dealer.
Yes, I am trying to source the original ones !
I had found 2 specimens , one was pre-2012 the other had a lot of scratches !
the hunt is on !
Old 21st April 2013, 12:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am trying to source the original ones !
I had found 2 specimens , one was pre-2012 the other had a lot of scratches !
the hunt is on !
My advice: Try to get alloys from existing Vento owners (who plan to sell the alloys) which have cosmetic changes i.e. scratches, marks, etc. (and NOT bends, cracks, etc.) so that you can negotiate hard at the price. Get them painted to your favorite colour that goes well with the car (Grey, White, Matte, Black, etc.) by spending few thousands in the after-market.
I think that would be better instead of 15k/piece for new alloys.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 12:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:

I am worried about swirls which eventually come from visiting any (un)professional paint protection joints here. So, deferring this issue, until I find a confident place. Also, is there any evidence that paint protection saves from chipping ?

Quote:
No 3M centers here in my city
Same is the case here (or I have not explored enough ).
Old 21st April 2013, 13:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
My advice: Try to get alloys from existing Vento owners (who plan to sell the alloys) which have cosmetic changes i.e. scratches, marks, etc. (and NOT bends, cracks, etc.) so that you can negotiate hard at the price. Get them painted to your favorite colour that goes well with the car (Grey, White, Matte, Black, etc.) by spending few thousands in the after-market.
I think that would be better instead of 15k/piece for new alloys.
Yes, the local alloy dealers have some sets with them , which they sell of dirt cheap ( around 10k/set) ..the alloys are usually of the people who upgrade the OEMs to aftermaket ones .
I have told them to contact me whenever they encounter polo 2012 alloys in good condition .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
I am worried about swirls which eventually come from visiting any (un)professional paint protection joints here. So, deferring this issue, until I find a confident place. Also, is there any evidence that paint protection saves from chipping ?

Same is the case here (or I have not explored enough ).
They have this lamination-kinda thingy that I found intereresting , but sadly no 3m centres here, even if there were , I doubt I could spend the kind of money they ask for such treatments .
the other disadvantage would have been that after sometime , they would have a slight yellow discolouration, that would have looked bad on silver.

Another Quickie Question
is it necessary to install mudflaps on a car ?
If we don't get them installed what harm does it do ?
i like the look sans mudflaps
Old 21st April 2013, 15:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

First of all , congratulations on the car and wish you many happy miles . Being a vento owner myself , i feel that you would love every bit of your ownership . A couple of points mentioned in your ownership thread where I felt I should share my perspective :-
1. Lights - I use 100 / 90 with relays and cutouts . It doesn't void warranty as no wires are cut and battery is anyways not covered under VW warranty
The cardinal rule that you follow with respect to warranty is that you keep your workshop in good humour , know the guys and you should be fine .

2. Tyres - I would choose to disagree with your reading about the acceleres - its a very ordinary tyre whose only strength is tyre wall strength whereas you miss out on tyre grip , silent ride , plusher ride , wet road grip and braking. It depends on your threshold level of tolerance on the above issues which would determine prioritising a change

Quote:
is it necessary to install mudflaps on a car ?If we don't get them installed what harm does it do ?
i like the look sans mudflaps
Mudflaps are important to the extent that it prevents splashing of mud on the side of the car (including the doors ) and the bumper . Its specially useful when there is sticky mud on the road after a light drizzle . In case there is standing water then of course with or without mud guard you are more or less in the same situation
Cheers
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 15:44   #29
BHPian

Hi Rahul,Congrats on your new car.Quick question,is your car music system able to read your phone contacts wen paired via bluetooth??Mine shows only the last-dialled number.!!
Old 21st April 2013, 16:56   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
First of all , congratulations on the car and wish you many happy miles . Being a vento owner myself , i feel that you would love every bit of your ownership . A couple of points mentioned in your ownership thread where I felt I should share my perspective :-
1. Lights - I use 100 / 90 with relays and cutouts . It doesn't void warranty as no wires are cut and battery is anyways not covered under VW warranty
The cardinal rule that you follow with respect to warranty is that you keep your workshop in good humour , know the guys and you should be fine .

2. Tyres - I would choose to disagree with your reading about the acceleres - its a very ordinary tyre whose only strength is tyre wall strength whereas you miss out on tyre grip , silent ride , plusher ride , wet road grip and braking. It depends on your threshold level of tolerance on the above issues which would determine prioritising a change

Mudflaps are important to the extent that it prevents splashing of mud on the side of the car (including the doors ) and the bumper . Its specially useful when there is sticky mud on the road after a light drizzle . In case there is standing water then of course with or without mud guard you are more or less in the same situation
Cheers
Thank you for your valuable input.
as for the headlight , I will ask the VW S.A on my next service if I can bring my relay and would they oblige to replace it for me, otherwise I'll do it myself .
please let me know the level of difficulty on this ..?
and would this Hella Relay and harness complete the job ? , is there any sort of cutting required ?

as for the tyres, I have decided to keep em' ..they are good enough and I can live with them !

I think I am better off buying soft rubber mudflaps as the OEM ones tend to hit a lot of bumps !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Hi Rahul,Congrats on your new car.Quick question,is your car music system able to read your phone contacts wen paired via bluetooth??Mine shows only the last-dialled number.!!
I believe it does not show the contacts list , its only meant to recieve calls, dial the last number and play music . showing the contact list would be deadly for the user (eyes on HU, no idea about the road)

Last edited by rahulsingh007 : 21st April 2013 at 16:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks