Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:41   #1
BHPian

The New Fluidic Oil Burner of our Family - Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX

Recently shifted from Mumbai to Chennai at the worst possible time, the Chennai Summers! Badly needed a car to commute to office and back. I had a 1.6 Ford Ikon ROCAM, the real josh machine while at Mumbai and had to part with her because of the complications in the RTO procedures in moving the car from Mumbai to Chennai and the cost involved in it. She was a darling, the most fun to drive car for me. Coming from a Ford Ikon, which handles like a charm, I was really confused on what could replace her driving pleasure. Out of the loads of options in the market, I considered the below. Due to the heartburn of feeding my dear Ikon the petrol guzzler, I wanted to move to diesel and preferably a fully loaded top end version.

1. Hyundai Fluidic Verna: More on this later.

2. VW Vento: For its sheer German look and build quality. Took a test drive just before booking the Verna. The interiors are perfect, no bull crap, classy one. I loved its handling, the grunt, but the rear seats were little uncomfortable for my family. They offered it with amazing goodies like free insurance, free carpet, free spoiler and free what not. It was a lovely deal. Had just told the dealer representative that I am going to take another look at Verna and if I am convinced that vento it is, I will give him a call. Since it was late in the evening, he said "Sir, If you dont like verna, just give me a call. I will come to the Hyundai dealership and book a vento for you. You dont have to come back here!". I was like, eh? are they in a big crunch or something?

3. Rapid: Did not drive it, but took a look in one of the auto expo shows. A classy car with all the comforts. Have expressed my desire to drive a skoda to my family, but all I got was a grin after looking at the car interiors from them. That means a no! But I just wanted to be double sure about rejecting the car not just by the way it looked. Called the near and dear and asked for a ownership report. Read few reviews online and at TBHP too. Everywhere I could get a similar feedback. Rapid is a brilliant car, but the service and spares are a big sour! Finally had to let go of Rapid just because of the service quality. Owning a brilliant car is the best thing in life, but what good is it if the service is poor and frustrating.

4. Reno Scala: I had seen this in the auto expo earlier, and just for the sheer rear seats spacing and comfort, I wanted to take a test drive of the car. It offered everything, abs, esp, alloys etc., Had asked for a test drive at home and the folks at Reno were kind enough to get their car to our home the very next day. The car felt premium compared to Rapid and Vento as far as I am concerned. The representatives explained everything the car had to offer before the test drive and had also asked me and my wife to sit at the back while they drive to test the comfort on the rear seats. I felt like I was sitting on a couch or something when compared to sitting on the other sedans! very spacious. Jumped to the wheel and I was not impressed with its lower powered acceleration. Was expecting it to be a bit better after few minutes but it just did not impress me. The rep also told us the various offers with Reno, they opening service centers aggressively, the 4+4 year warranty (if I remember correctly) on the engine. I knew for a fact that for engines, the first is Toyota and its equal is Renault. Confused on the choice, we bid adieu to him and came back home. The puzzled look at my wife's face told me that this ain't our car.

Yeah about us test driving the Verna! After the research online we almost finalized that its verna even before sitting inside one. I for one felt juicy about the 128 horses and my wife for the looks and interiors of the car. Besides its a Hyundai, the services and spares are really good. Took a test drive at a local dealer here at velachery, chennai. Loved the car, the pickup when the turbo kicks in is just awesome. I was just grinning all the time. The sales rep knew that he has a customer. Tested panic breaking distance and rode over a bump at a decent speed, specifically asked to drive over a bad patch to convince myself after reading about the suspension online. All was okay for me and I made up my mind that this is the car which I want to own! Enquired about the various options available and finalized on the 1.6 SX CRDI since going for the optional model did not justify the price inclination of another 1.3 lacs in OTR. The optional just had few itzy bitsy items like chrome handles, passenger air bags (important but it will be just 2 of us most of the time), which door open indicator in the console, keyless start etc., I wanted to test drive few other cars before finalizing so told them that we will come back soon.

I did not consider the new Ford Fiesta since I had already owned a ford and know the pain in maintaining it.
We went to the auto expo to have a view of all the cars at the similar time and met Mr. Kannan from Hyundai Motor Plaza, Chennai. He offered us the best price since its a company owned showroom and the services offered are very professional. I had given him my number and expressed my interest in booking a SX CRDI ASAP. He called us the next day and invited us to the showroom, which we did on the same evening. On our way to HMP, we visited the VW dealer en-route to just have a check on the vento. We finally arrived at the Hyundai dealership and booked THE ONE by paying an advance of Rs.10,000/- (+Rs.200/- VAT for using card). Wanted to go for HMP than the local dealers since HMP promised to provide a vehicle which is fresh out of the factory and their in depth PDI. I have read somewhere about one of the member's nightmare verna ownership because of the dealers. Since this is a company owned showroom, any issue with the car could be attended by the company since they dont have anyone to blame. Tried negotiating the price a bit down, but no luck. Had told them that I will get my own insurance since they quoted 41k for a simple cashless comprehensive Hyundai insurance. My Mother In Law wanted to dispose her old unused zen, so we got Rs. 50,000/- for the car and Rs. 15,000/- as exchange bonus. Below is the break up,

Make :
Hyundai
Model : Verna
Variant : 1.6 SX
Fuel : Diesel
Booking Date : 19-04-2013
Color : Stone Beige
Dealer & City : Hyundai Motor Plaza, Chennai
Freebies : Just the floor mat
Others : Self Insurance, 15k exchange bonus.
Cost : (EX:999900, RTO+Handling:111000)
Insurance: From Royal Sundaram (bumper to bumper) 32,520 with 1 year myTvs platinum membership.

On Road: 11,43,420/-

My take on the fluidic verna,

Exterior Styling & Design

For me this is undoubtedly the best looking car in its class. With the fluidic design, Hyundai had come out of the old design. The curves and the headlamps are just about perfect and the chrome logo with a big grill is just icing on the cake. I can just keep looking at the car all day. Even while I am driving my verna and if I see another verna passing by, cant keep my eyes on the road The 16" alloys adds character to the car and the twin exhaust adds to the beauty while looking from behind. A spoiler could have added to the looks of the car, but its just my personal choice.

Overall build quality and fit & finish

Loved most of it except the big gaps on the bumper. The paint looks superior finish but instead of the rubbery breeding, it could have looked well with the all metal finish on the roof like the vento. Nothing to complain about the quality and finish.

Interior design, quality and comfort

It shouts Premium! from the inside. The wooden touch, rubbery anti slip and a big dash, well light driver console, loads of cup holders and the cooled glove box are the ones which caught my eye at first. The seats are very comfy ( I am 5.8"), but could have done with the height adjust. There is an adjustment for thigh support though. Easy access for the Aux and USB input is really good. The things according to me could have been better are the driver rest support on the left side and the noisy sunglass holder. I just could touch the arm rest on the left and cant think about keeping my arm on a long drive and wish they could have made some adjustment to get it a bit further to the front. Both the front visors have mirrors and not sure why they lost the cover for the left side mirror. The rear seats are very comfortable since the axle bump is absent and gives a good legroom. Three people can sit comfortably provided all three are properly fit health wise! The cooled glove box is an added advantage for men and kids especially.

AC, Audio System, Console and Controls

The AC cools pretty fast even with Chennai temperatures and has a minimal or no effect on the performance of the car even at full blow. The Audio system is good enough with useful controls on the steering wheel. It also comes with a remote which you dont want to hand it over to the kids at the back. Heard that the output of the main audio system is just 35w and any upgrades to the speaker will be of no use from one of the local accessories dealer here. If one wishes to change the speakers, the entire main assembly had to be changed. Probably a later upgrade for me. The bluetooth connectivity is just amazing and very simple. Just one issue is that of friends calling for a booze party when you are driving with family. The music from the phone can also be played with the bluetooth connectivity and comes handy when you are navigating thru phone. The console is lit in a nice way and the brightness adjust is very useful in the night drives. There are two trip meters, Average KMPL display, Kilometers to empty, engine running time, live kmpl with the amount of accelerator input given, etc., Coming from a ford, the wiper and indicator positioning are nothing new to learn about. The front and rear defogger is an added advantage when it fogs up inside the car, though I am yet to use them.
The rear camera is very useful and when in bumper to bumper traffic, you can just engage to reverse when in a stand still traffic to see which biker is going to scrap the back side of the car when he is doing the unwanted maneuver to beat you in traffic.

Engine performance & driveability in the city

The engine feels very refined and ready to leap. It is like a dog pulling the leash when you are taking him for a walk. The minimum set speed for a gear is very useful when I have to go thru a bad patch since no need to use the clutch or the accelerator, just the break is enough. I am still getting used to driving in the city, since I have not got used to the size of the car. The bonnet visibility is very minimum and the lack of seat adjustment takes a toll here. But its only till I get accustomed to driving her in the city. The tranny and the clutch are very smooth, few glitches with the reverse gear, not sure why its there in a new car. Will have to get it checked during the first service. The dead pedal is useful when you are cruising and the sixth cog is a boon for long drives and mileage. I could easily cruise at 80kmph on 6th gear with 1400 RPM on dials. Haven't felt the turbo lag often while driving in the city and the pickup is more than enough at the lower rpm's. I am yet to see the wildest side of the RPM, taking it easy as she is new. The suspensions are good for city and could feel the car getting a bit nervous on speeds more than 100 on an uneven road. I cant complain here since its not the car to be blamed. I was a bit scared about the suspensions after reading fellow reviews, but its just a matter of getting used to and knowing how the car responds. The ride quality inside city is just amazing and very comfortable.

Fuel efficiency

Yet to take her on a highways for a spin, but for a brand new car she gave a mileage of around 12.8kmpl with heavy traffic and loads of 1st gear drives over bad patches.

Ride, Handling, Steering Feedback and Braking

The electrical steering is very effortless and it was easy to get used to. The turning radius is a bit longer when compared to my previous ford, but nothing to complain. Steering feed back was crisp and the braking was just about adequate. Sometimes I feel that its a bit spongy, but could be because of the new brake pads. Will post a detailed ride quality after a long drive.

To sum up,

What I like about the Car
  • Love the 1.6 peppy engine
  • The pull from the lower rpms
  • The 6th gear
  • Easy gear shifts and the smooth tranny
  • The electrical steering
  • The exterior curves and looks with the BIG Headlamps
  • The rear twin exhaust
  • The premium interiors with rubbery finish on the dash.
  • The quiet cabin
  • Quick cool AC
  • Brightly light console with brightness adjustment
  • The adequate audio system with a very easy bluetooth connectivity
  • Cooled glove box
  • Rear Camera
  • The greenish rear windshield while driving in the night which filters out the high beam idiots.
  • The eco mode. Its a bit insulting when the car tells you what gear you have to drive, but its something to brag about to friends.
  • The fancy details like kilometers to empty, mileage, etc.,
  • All 5 alloys
  • Electrically folding rvm's
  • Huge trunk
  • Dead pedal
  • The height adjustable seat belts
  • The adjustable headrests

Things that could have been better
  • The headlamps
  • The left side driver arm rest could have been a bit lengthier to the front
  • The sunglass holder could have been better. Always rattles when kept inside, which is very irritating
  • The panel gaps are a bit too much at the rear boot area

Things which are missing
  • No Lit door buttons
  • No Lit glove box
  • No Auto roll up windows
  • No speed sensing locks
  • No Height adjustable seats
  • No seat pockets for the rear passengers

Things to be done:
  1. Have to get extended warranty during the first service
  2. Better floor mats
  3. Better headlamps
  4. DRL if possible
  5. Seat covers
  6. A Team-BHP sticker :-)
  7. A cellphone holder (The windshield attachment for navigation purpose)

The dealership Review:

HMP, Chennai is very professional and committed for the delivery of the car. We met Mr.Kannan from the AutoExpo and when we visited the dealership, they welcomed us warmly and explained us every bit we wanted to know about the car. The dates given were kept and we got the delivery as we wanted. They had arranged for a small pooja at the dealership while handing over the keys. They clicked our photograph and framed it with a clock and gave it us along with a box of Choco-Pie I had asked to see the service center and Mr. Kannan introduced us to the service engineer and got us know of the service center lounge and the people over there. It was a very pleasurable experience at HMP and a big thumbs up. Hope the servicing is as good.

Few Pics,

Car before registration and pdi,

The New Fluidic Oil Burner of our Family - Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX-rs_verna_006.jpg

Getting the keys,

The New Fluidic Oil Burner of our Family - Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX-rs_verna_001.jpg

The New Fluidic Oil Burner of our Family - Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX-rs_verna_002.jpg

Pooja,

The New Fluidic Oil Burner of our Family - Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX-rs_verna_003.jpg

Clicked the workshop labor charges list for reference,

The New Fluidic Oil Burner of our Family - Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX-verna_007.jpg

The list of manufacturer addons with price,

The New Fluidic Oil Burner of our Family - Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX-verna_008.jpg

Will update with the highway drive report whenever I get a chance.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd May 2013 at 17:27. Reason: 2 smileys max please :)
razorBlades is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 17:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: The New Fluidic Oil Burner of our Family - Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 17:43   #3
BHPian

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on your buy! Wish you many happy miles and a trouble free ownership.
Cheers!
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:20   #4
BHPian

@ Razorblades, Congrats on the car mate. Do post some interior snaps of the car. I would recommend you to avoid "A cellphone holder (The windshield attachment for navigation purpose)" as it largely disrupts clear road vision. Most of the smart phones today, do come with voice assisted GPS, this ideally, would solve your purpose of navigation. Once again, congratulations on your ride, Drive Safe.
Old 3rd May 2013, 07:25   #5
BHPian

Congrats brother. Hyundai Verna has become a no brainer choice in sedan segment. The way it pipped it's competition especially Honda City is the proof for that.

Happy mile crunching..
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Rehaan for the approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfreak View Post
Let me be the first one to congratulate you on your buy! Wish you many happy miles and a trouble free ownership.
Cheers!
Thanks Batfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
@ Razorblades, Congrats on the car mate. Do post some interior snaps of the car. I would recommend you to avoid "A cellphone holder (The windshield attachment for navigation purpose)" as it largely disrupts clear road vision. Most of the smart phones today, do come with voice assisted GPS, this ideally, would solve your purpose of navigation. Once again, congratulations on your ride, Drive Safe.
Thanks buddy, will keep it in mind! I already have a garmin and got used to driving with it on the windsheild! But like you said, its always good to drive without one, thanks for the advice will try and avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Congrats brother. Hyundai Verna has become a no brainer choice in sedan segment. The way it pipped it's competition especially Honda City is the proof for that.

Happy mile crunching..
Yes, very well said. its become the natural choice these days looking at the no. of vernas on road.
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on an intelligent buy.

I have booked one as well and am waiting for it. Hopefully 15th May.

Did you not get any discount ? 15k exchange bonus and self insurance is what you have stated.

Last edited by vkochar : 3rd May 2013 at 11:46.
Old 4th May 2013, 00:34   #8
BHPian

Re: The New Fluidic Oil Burner of our Family - Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Congratulations on an intelligent buy.

I have booked one as well and am waiting for it. Hopefully 15th May.

Did you not get any discount ? 15k exchange bonus and self insurance is what you have stated.
Congrats on the booking!

yeah 15k exchange bonus and self insurance which saved another 10k. nothing other than that except free floor mats from the dealership.

Are you getting any discounts?
Old 7th May 2013, 14:21   #9
BHPian

*Update*

Got my first scratches in Chennai traffic!

Have installed Osram Night Breaker Headlights since I was told that installing an amplified powerful headlight will make the headlamp getting burnt since its not of glass and of a not so good quality plastic. Night Breakers are adequate enough and have improved the night visibility to a very good extent.

Planing for a Hella horns since even dogs ignore the stock horns. Also autoform/ovion seat covers. Will update post installations.
Old 7th May 2013, 15:57   #10
BHPian

One thing I forgot to mention, you have chosen a different color. Normally we see Verna in White, Black and Silver only. Good choice..:-)
Old 13th May 2013, 13:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
One thing I forgot to mention, you have chosen a different color. Normally we see Verna in White, Black and Silver only. Good choice..:-)
Thanks mate

*Update*
Have done 650 Kms and getting a mileage of 15.1 kmpl in traffic with AC, which is not bad at all

Have installed Hella Horns replacing the stock ones without any amplification.

Its a bit loud and irritating to other road users since its very sharp and intended to be used on highways, I am keeping myself from honking unwantedly now. Is there a legal sound limit for the horn since, whenever I honk, everyone on the road looks at me with frustration!
Old 30th May 2013, 00:38   #12
BHPian

Congrats for your wonderful new car. I have one of Sept-2011 make. You seem to be reasonably happy with the suspension of your car. In my case, the rear is too soft & this is very clearly felt on undulations when two/three persons are in the back seat. In those conditions the car is extremely bouncy at the rear at a speed as low as 70-80 kmph. What's your experience? Has Hyundai stiffened the rear suspension since it's launch.

I agree with all of your other observations. I love the power & refinement of the engine the most. In no time it reaches 140-150 kmph. I have done 33 k by now & very happy with the car except soft rear suspension, lower GC & too low seating position. 6th gear does help in very good highway FE, where as city FE is not that impressive. I have installed a bass tube which makes a huge difference. The sound from the rear speakers are too weak.

Wish you miles of enjoyable motoring mate.

Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 10:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Congrats for your wonderful new car. I have one of Sept-2011 make. You seem to be reasonably happy with the suspension of your car. In my case, the rear is too soft & this is very clearly felt on undulations when two/three persons are in the back seat. In those conditions the car is extremely bouncy at the rear at a speed as low as 70-80 kmph. What's your experience? Has Hyundai stiffened the rear suspension since it's launch.

I agree with all of your other observations. I love the power & refinement of the engine the most. In no time it reaches 140-150 kmph. I have done 33 k by now & very happy with the car except soft rear suspension, lower GC & too low seating position. 6th gear does help in very good highway FE, where as city FE is not that impressive. I have installed a bass tube which makes a huge difference. The sound from the rear speakers are too weak.

Wish you miles of enjoyable motoring mate.

Thanks
Thanks Chitta

Have done close to 1000 kms pure city drive and the car so far is good. Sometime shifting the gear to reverse and first gear is a bit of a trouble and have to leave the clutch and press it again for a smooth shift. Told about this to the dealer and he told me to come in for a check. Car is giving me a mileage of around 13-14 in city and haven't had a chance to take her on highways yet. The suspension seems okay for me with 5 people when the road is not very wavy at speeds till 100, but can feel the bounciness when I accelerate hard even with just me driving. I heard from the rep while buying the car that they have improved the suspension on the newly manufactured cars along with the rear sensors.

Badly waiting for a long drive. I am going out of town for 3 months and have to park her without cranking her. Will disconnect the battery terminals and hope she is all okay when we come back.

New things: Top Gear seat covers done at Jeewajee, chaimers road, chennai. Awesome job done and the fitting is perfect. It looks like the one which comes in the SX(O) model minus the leathers. :P Will post a detailed review about the seat covers soon.

I also wanted to upgrade the speakers and since the output wattage of the music console is very low, there wont be much difference when upgrading which is a bit of a let down, but I am happy with the speakers so far.

33k is a good amount of miles and its comforting for me to hear that you are very happy with the car with few niggles. Not sure how an aftermarket suspension will work, but will inquire around.

Happy driving and wising you many many more happy miles.
Old 10th September 2013, 11:03   #14
BHPian

1St Service:
1295 kms
Topped up engine oil (50ml)
All fluids check
Had some issue with the gear play (fixed)
Water Wash

Cost: Nil

Next service in one year or 10000 kms.

Car's feel is good and no complaints so far.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
1St Service:
1295 kms
Topped up engine oil (50ml)
All fluids check
Had some issue with the gear play (fixed)
Water Wash

Cost: Nil

Next service in one year or 10000 kms.

Car's feel is good and no complaints so far.

RazorBlades, how is the handling part beyond 120 kph ? I had liked the verna much but as per the reviews, am looking back with the handling part and went and booked a Ecosport but with 9 months waiting.

It would be helpful if you throw some light on it !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks