Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2013, 15:09   #31
SBR
BHPian

re: M800 to a Diesel Hatch - My Breeze Blue Maruti Ritz VDi. EDIT: Now sold!

Time for some updates.

While getting the PPF installed last month at 3M HSR Layout, I had bumped into Aditya (n_aditya). On discussing about light upgrades, Aditya advised me to get in touch with Ms. Kolleenal - the distributor for Osram in Wilson Garden, Bangalore. Called up Rajesh at Ms. Kolleenal in Wilson Garden and fixed up an appointment for the next day.

Met Mr. Rajesh & the owner Mr. Chinson Cherian. After a brief discussion with Mr. Chinson, decided to install LED Parking lights @ Rs. 1600/- for the pair. It was offered to me at a discounted price.

Here are the pics. Extremely happy with the brightness they provide and they look fab on the car.
Attached Thumbnails
M800 to a Diesel Hatch - My Breeze Blue Maruti Ritz VDi. EDIT: Now sold!-2013-pics-015-fileminimizer.jpg  

M800 to a Diesel Hatch - My Breeze Blue Maruti Ritz VDi. EDIT: Now sold!-2013-pics-016-fileminimizer.jpg  

Old 9th June 2013, 15:18   #32
SBR
BHPian

At the same time, upgraded the Fog Lamps with Osram Night Breaker Plus bulbs. They cost Rs. 550/- per light & Rs. 1100/- for the pair. Got both the lights (Fog Lamps & LED Bulbs) installed at MASS - Ms. Aryan Motors by paying Rs. 150/- as labour charges.

If you look at the pics carefully, the lights cover even the sides like a "U". They are very helpful during the rains and on night drives.

The lights were put to test during the rains which battered the city on 31st evening. I could notice the huge difference they provide when compared to the regular fogs.

The pics do the talking here.
Attached Thumbnails
M800 to a Diesel Hatch - My Breeze Blue Maruti Ritz VDi. EDIT: Now sold!-2013-pics-019-fileminimizer.jpg  

M800 to a Diesel Hatch - My Breeze Blue Maruti Ritz VDi. EDIT: Now sold!-2013-pics-020-fileminimizer.jpg  

Last edited by SBR : 9th June 2013 at 15:19.
Old 9th June 2013, 15:41   #33
SBR
BHPian

Its been over 40+ days of ownership till date and the ODO reading is 2000+ KMS.

If I were to summarize the ownership experience till date, it would be as follows;

What I dislike;
  • The B Pillar blocks the view when taking a right turn at traffic junctions. I have to bend front or back wards to look out for oncoming traffic from left if I am taking a right turn at a junction.
  • Cant be driven like a Sedan or a Swift but one needs to be more responsible and drive with care.
  • As I have upgraded from a M-800, I am yet to get used to the rear bumpers which are slightly wider when compared to the rest of the body and as a result I ended up scraping the bumper edges twice. . I guess I need more practice of driving it.
  • Un-even placing of the Accelerator, Brake & Clutch - One might have difficulties and pain in leg especially after driving for over 2 hours continuously in tight traffic but this may not be the case in long drives.
What I like;
  • Fantastic FE again. On a recent trip to Ambur, got an FE of 23 KMPL without AC with 5 Adults + 2 kids & full luggage on board. In bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic, FE hasn't dropped below 15 KMPL under any condition.
  • Engine Power - With 5 adults, 2 kids & with full luggage, the car never felt out of power through out the drive. It was a very effortless drive.
  • Comfort & Ergonomics - One can do a non stop drive for over 5 hours and still not feel tired. At the back seat, 3 adults could sit very comfortably during long drives.
  • Boot Space & 60:40 Split seat - a true gift to families. Recently I could carry loads of luggage and my daughter's Bi-cycle in the car after folding the rear seats. A very practical utility in the car.
If one over looks the rear shape of it, Ritz is a very practical hatch for families like say two adults & 2 kids or 3 adults & 2 kids and will perform as a true family work horse.
Old 10th June 2013, 16:19   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey congrats on the Ritz. In fact, I'd say the looks/shape are good too. Its a fresh design (ok not age wise now.) and looks pleasantly different than all other hatches. Its the best looking tallboy by quite a margin.

As for the leg pain due to pedal placement, if you are a bit above average height, you'll feel this in ALL tall-boys. I've experienced it in Santro, i10 & Ritz.

Thats a good FE of 23KMPL with 5 adults.
Rare to see an upgrade of the fog bulbs. No plan to upgrade the headlamps? Or they do their job well? (Or have you already upgraded them and I missed to read it? :)

Wish you many safe & happy miles with the Ritz.

P.S. Does the B pillar really obstruct? Or you meant the A pillar?
Old 10th June 2013, 22:32   #35
BHPian

Congratulations on owning your new Ritz VdI.

My envy, I did not get Breeze Blue when I took my Ritz earlier this year in Kolkata.

Personally, I shifted from M800 to Ritz VdI. Have retained my M800 as well as backup, etc.
I regularly drive both. Ritz to office & highway (proposed) and M800 for close vicinity, narrow Kolkata lanes, to office on "bandh" days, sometimes driven by hired drivers, etc.
Retired the M800 from Highways @ 40k+ kms and 13 yrs. Now it will only ply in Kolkata city.

Shift from M800 to Ritz VdI will take 200-300 kms for passionate drivers to adjust to the driving style.
Mainly the steering suddenly feels very light, esp at slow speeds (<30kmph)
Braking efficiency suddenly feels out of the world
The gear-shift (up & down) has to be adjusted to the running speed -- 5 to 10 kmph difference of speed (on the higher side) between Ritz VdI & M800
Car is wider, so don't try to get in tight negotiations and keep wider clearance on the LHS

Ritz VdI mileage you are getting is good. 16kmpl in city to start with. I am now (4400+ kms) getting 16kmpl, started with 15kmpl. This is without AC. With AC approx 14kmpl.

Otherwise, it is not a wide gap to bridge.

Regards,
Saurav
sauravdc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 10:35   #36
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey congrats on the Ritz. In fact, I'd say the looks/shape are good too. Its a fresh design (ok not age wise now.) and looks pleasantly different than all other hatches. Its the best looking tallboy by quite a margin.

As for the leg pain due to pedal placement, if you are a bit above average height, you'll feel this in ALL tall-boys. I've experienced it in Santro, i10 & Ritz.

Thats a good FE of 23KMPL with 5 adults.
Rare to see an upgrade of the fog bulbs. No plan to upgrade the headlamps? Or they do their job well? (Or have you already upgraded them and I missed to read it? :)

Wish you many safe & happy miles with the Ritz.

P.S. Does the B pillar really obstruct? Or you meant the A pillar?
Thanks for the wishes. Yep I am pretty much above average both in height & weight . I had upgraded the Head Lamps at the time of delivery. Have installed Philips 90/100 bulbs with relay. They are doing a decent job. Till now, I have upgraded Head lamps, Fog lamps & parking lights in the front. Total upgrade cost me close to INR 4K but it is a worthy investment if one is used to drive in the nights.

I some how find the B Pillar obstructing my view than the A Pillar. Strange though but getting used to it.
SBR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 11:46   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Till now, I have upgraded Head lamps, Fog lamps & parking lights in the front.
I'm a bit curious to know what you did to your parking lamps.
Old 14th June 2013, 11:46   #38
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
I'm a bit curious to know what you did to your parking lamps.
Refer Post# 31, I have installed Osram LED Parking lights in the front. The same post has the pics of it as well. Hope it helps.
Old 21st June 2013, 17:03   #39
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdc View Post
Car is wider, so don't try to get in tight negotiations and keep wider clearance on the LHS
Width of the car is something I am yet to get used to both while driving and parking the car. Suddenly, I am getting a feeling that I am driving a big car after driving M-800 all these years. I would have retained my M-800 but for the parking space .

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th July 2013 at 18:49. Reason: quoted post shortened.
SBR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 14:47   #40
SBR
BHPian

It is 2 months of Ownership and the ODO reading is 2,700 KMS.

Of late, the gear box does not seem smooth enough as it was earlier. It is a bit irritating at times. But really does not concern as it will get smoother after the second service.

The stock wipers are of poor quality . They did a good job in the rains but I think that they could have been better. Looks like I will have to upgrade or change the Wipers after a year or so.

Otherwise, no problem so far. Really enjoying the ride. It is a right car for anyone who keeps thinking - "Kitna Deti Hai" all the time. I am getting a consistent 18 KMPL in Bangalore traffic without AC all the time.

Have few drives planned in the coming months and hope to give the car a good run on the highways.
Old 9th July 2013, 22:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
It is 2 months of Ownership and the ODO reading is 2,700 KMS.
The stock wipers are of poor quality . They did a good job in the rains but I think that they could have been better. Looks like I will have to upgrade or change the Wipers after a year or so.
Visit Reliance Autozone (HSR Layout and many more) and look for HELLA or BOSCH wipers. You can get the frame less type (DynaEdge, AeroTwin) which is excellent look-wise and function-wise. You can install them yourself.
AstonMartin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 18:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of late, the gear box does not seem smooth enough as it was earlier. It is a bit irritating at times. But really does not concern as it will get smoother after the second service.
Please ensure you mention this to the service adviser explicitly. I'm also surprised that you find the gear shift irritating. I'm having no such issues in my Ritz but yes, the gearbox is notchy (by design) and not butter smooth like it was in my esteem.

Quote:
. The stock wipers are pathetic. I got all the windows and windshield cleaned with a clay bar yet the wipers judder faintly.

Quote:
Have few drives planned in the coming months and hope to give the car a good run on the highways.
You will absolutely love the car on the highways. On fifth gear and at around 80kmph you will be right in the power band and the turbo will be ready to propel you forward. Even if you slow down there is ample torque and the need to downshift will rarely present itself - very helpful while overtaking another vehicle as you won't need to downshift for more power. The turbo is brilliantly tuned.

Also, if you have the music off, you can hear the blow off when you lift your foot off the pedal after the turbo has kicked in. Addictive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartin View Post
Visit Reliance Autozone (HSR Layout and many more) and look for HELLA or BOSCH wipers. You can get the frame less type (DynaEdge, AeroTwin) which is excellent look-wise and function-wise. You can install them yourself.
How much would these cost? Could you provide an approximate figure?
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 19:44   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
If you're planning on driving after sun down, do upgrade the bulbs. I installed the Osram Nightbreaker Plus in my car (headlight and fog's) and the visibility is significantly better than with the stock bulbs.

Avoid high watt bulbs even with a relay.

All the best.
Adi,

How do you find the reliability of bulbs installed? I had installed on my Ritz and the left headlamp low beam conked off within 6 months of installation.

Reverted to OEM bulbs. They are fine since then. What could be the reason? Any Idea?

A doubt: What if I install a relay for these bulbs (60/55W)? I know OEM rating don't need relays but will it help for a longer life?

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 11th July 2013, 18:53   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
How much would these cost? Could you provide an approximate figure?
These high-end Wipers will set you back by around 1500 Rs (driver side + passenger side).
AstonMartin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 13:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How do you find the reliability of bulbs installed? I had installed on my Ritz and the left headlamp low beam conked off within 6 months of installation.

Reverted to OEM bulbs. They are fine since then. What could be the reason? Any Idea?

A doubt: What if I install a relay for these bulbs (60/55W)? I know OEM rating don't need relays but will it help for a longer life?
My bulbs are doing just fine although it's been only around 2-3 months since the installation. Bulbs could fuse out for many reasons. Maybe manufacturing defect in the bulb itself or the way it was stored, or also if the wiring allowed excessive current and the stock relay couldn't handle the surge.

The stock low beam bulb on my ninja fused in 2 years and i replaced it with the Xtreme Vision and it's doing fine ever since.

There is no need for an aftermarket relay if you are going with stock specification bulbs.

However I did have the philips bulb in my esteem conking off in a year's time quite often. Could have been replica/fake bulbs. Tough to arrive at the root cause correctly. Buy from an authorized reseller or distributor to avoid getting fakes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks