Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2013, 09:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tallboy Tales: From a Hyundai Santro to a Maruti Ritz VDi ABS

Congratulations on the Ritz, SlowRider!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
...I had no intention of hitting crazy speeds, just wanted to understand how far torque wave would take me. And the results were not that great. I hit 120 before I called it off. I must say, till about 110kmph, I could feel the torque, but it tailed off very soon after. By the time I reached 120, the car was beginning to look like it's a little out of depth.
I feel, it is not the engine that is a problem. In 5th gear, the engine pulls cleanly from 80kmph all the way to 140kmph. More than the pull, it is the stability and confidence that the car gives, which is an issue. 120kmph is pretty scary on the Ritz. The lack of surefooted-ness is pretty evident. Not sure about the Santro, but I owned an i10 before. i10 used to feel scary at 100kmph. In that respect, the Ritz is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The Ritz is pretty economical on the fuel consumption area. I usually drive with a/c on in the city and rarely switch off at traffic stops since the red signal is for less than a min or so. I get around 16kmpl in city and on my highway drives i have got between 21 and 23 kmpl with a/c on.
Aditya, I must be doing something terribly wrong. I get around 13kmpl in the city and around 19.5-20kmpl on the highways. My Ritz rides on 185 section tires though.
blue_pulsar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 10:30   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Aditya, I must be doing something terribly wrong. I get around 13kmpl in the city and around 19.5-20kmpl on the highways. My Ritz rides on 185 section tires though.
Blue_pulsar: One factor may be a clogged / dirty air filter.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 14:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Blue_pulsar: One factor may be a clogged / dirty air filter.
I doubt it. I have been getting similar FE since the beginning. Initially I used to get 14 when the car ran on 165 section tires.
I guess my low FE is because I drive in rush hour both ways. But still, the difference between Aditya's Ritz FE and mine is a lot.
Old 24th July 2013, 12:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt it. I have been getting similar FE since the beginning. Initially I used to get 14 when the car ran on 165 section tires.
I guess my low FE is because I drive in rush hour both ways. But still, the difference between Aditya's Ritz FE and mine is a lot.
I drive to work at around 7.30 am and traffic is moderate but on the way back home at around 7pm it is chock-a-block and the FE drops.

I take the elevated toll way to electronics city so for a little over 10kms the FE springs back

I usually upshift as soon as the turbo kicks in and rarely gun the car when the turbo has kicked in. If you are enjoying the turbo punch, the FE will get affected significantly.

I normally drive with the a/c on and get around 16-17kmpl.

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th July 2013 at 12:06.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 15:38   #35
BHPian

It's been a few months since the Ritz came home and I'm yet to get used to its brakes. I find it hard to modulate the brakes. There is only some crude control over how quickly or gradually I wanna stop, especially in city traffic.

The other day, I was in pretty bad bumper-to-bumper traffic. A Ford Ikon was getting impatient behind me and trying to snake his way through the left (on a two lane road). The car in front of me stopped, I tried to stop gradually so as to give the guy behind some time to react, but what I did manage was one second of almost imperceptible braking followed by a hard stop. Bump! The Ford was up my tail-pipe! What an ...! I pulled over and inspected the bumper. Lost a spot of paint in the rear left corner, but no dents. I waved him off. Not worth the trouble of negotiating with him. Bumpers get bumped into. I'd got used to that reality in the last 11 years with the old car. But there it was. My first loss of paint.

Quote:
Congratulations on the Ritz, SlowRider!

I feel, it is not the engine that is a problem. In 5th gear, the engine pulls cleanly from 80kmph all the way to 140kmph. More than the pull, it is the stability and confidence that the car gives, which is an issue. 120kmph is pretty scary on the Ritz. The lack of surefooted-ness is pretty evident. Not sure about the Santro, but I owned an i10 before. i10 used to feel scary at 100kmph. In that respect, the Ritz is better.
Thanks blue_pulsar. I'm sure the engine can do a lot more, but I was referring to that sweet spot in the torque curve. After about 110, the accelereration was much milder in comparison to the wholesome push in the seats before. And because you're coming out of such a big torque wave, you feel the car has lost most of its pep.

If you think 120 is scary, I'm sure you have better cars as reference. I don't, so I'd say the Santro's 90 (the speed where you're unsure whether it's safe to accelerate) is Ritz's 120.

Last edited by SlowRider : 16th August 2013 at 15:48. Reason: Corrected back-to-back posts
Old 28th January 2014, 17:18   #36
BHPian

Hi SlowRider,
First, congrats on your ride and thanks for your detailed description about " the True Joy Inside " Ritzy.

I have booked a Ritz 2014 model VDI ABS Bakers Chocolate today and was thinking about her shoes... the ones that she has i think are Apollo and i think you are using that. I wanted to know how good is it and if there are some grey areas that you have noticed while driving.

If i am to upgrade it to a 185/70 R14 can i do it on the existing rims ?
( I know Alloys looks cool and practical however i have kept that for phase II of investment ).

Most Viewed