Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2013, 09:56   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Silver Maruti Ritz (Petrol) : Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Thank you Reinhard. Yes, i think that's the name I need to tell the hardware store guy. But can it be sprayed painted by us simply or need an expert on it?
Oh you can surely DIY. Its as simple as spraying a deo! You'll master it in less than a minute. In most stores you can even "point" rather than tell the store guy. its generally kept quite visible in their stock.

Its also available on ebay. I had purchased a white spray for my in-laws' Santro. Was good. General search result link below.

Ebay.in lacquer spray search result

Do remember to cover nearby areas of the car with a newspaper so that no spots are left elsewhere from the spray.

Last edited by Reinhard : 21st June 2013 at 10:01.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 10:05   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Oh you can surely DIY. Its as simple as spraying a deo! You'll master it in less than a minute. In most store you can even "point" rather than tell the store guy. its generally kept quite visible in their stock.

Its also available on ebay. I had purchased a white spray for my in-laws' Santro. Was good. General search result link below.

Ebay.in lacquer spray search result
That's Great! Will buy one and do it this weekend. Thanks again for the link to ebay.com
Satshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 16:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
The simplest way to turn your rims black would be to buy some spray cans of black lacquer paint from any hardware / paint store. Readily available. Just spray it properly over the area you want to cover black. I.e. the outside part of the rim only. Rest I think can be left as it is in OEM silver. The sprays I think cost around 200-300 apiece. Colour finish is good and lasts long.
Finally I have completed spray-painting the Rims on my Ritz (did it myself). Used 3 Aerosol cans (Rs.100/- each) for all five Rims (including the Stepney tyre). Also, got the B pillar on both sides covered with Good quality Vinyl stickers (Matt Black) for Rs.200/-. Pics attached.

F1-Spray-paint Can

My Silver Maruti Ritz (Petrol) : Ownership Experience-1f1-spray.jpg

Actual Makeover

My Silver Maruti Ritz (Petrol) : Ownership Experience-2spraywork.jpg

Post Makeover

My Silver Maruti Ritz (Petrol) : Ownership Experience-3ready.jpg

Wheel-caps in place

My Silver Maruti Ritz (Petrol) : Ownership Experience-4with-wc.jpg

She looks much better now

My Silver Maruti Ritz (Petrol) : Ownership Experience-5car.jpg

Big Thanks to Loud, ReinHard, Swami.n, Silverado, a4anurag, S2.
Satshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 16:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Mate,
Just a wild suggestion, always thought that the plain black wheels look far better than the plastic wheel caps. Do give it a thought.

Where did you purchase the aerosol spray cans though?
Old 1st July 2013, 16:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
Just a wild suggestion, always thought that the plain black wheels look far better than the plastic wheel caps. Do give it a thought.

Where did you purchase the aerosol spray cans though?
Even, I have the same thought and I have realised it after painting it black.

Gives the Ritz, much sporty look. However my wheel caps are just new ones. Will use them for another 6 months and remove thereafter.

I purchased the Aerosol spray cans from A.M Street, Kalasipalyam in Bangalore. There's a big market for car/bike accessories, spares, etc. Everything here is available at cheap and wholesale rates.
Old 1st July 2013, 16:47   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally I have completed spray-painting the Rims on my Ritz (did it myself). Used 3 Aerosol cans (Rs.100/- each) for all five Rims (including the Stepney tyre). Also, got the B pillar on both sides covered with Good quality Vinyl stickers (Matt Black) for Rs.200/-. Pics attached.

Hey! That is a wonderful finish indeed! You are pro at this. And the vinyls are well done too. Nice look. Congrats. Glad I was of help - don't mention it.

Do I see a hint of silver spray on the RHS front door & fender?
Quite a practical job with zip tags to pull the wheel-caps there!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 16:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. However my wheel caps are just new ones. Will use them for another 6 months and remove thereafter.
Suppose you are putting them on just cause you bought them.
Thanks for the update around the paint stuff, will give them a visit one of these weekends
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:30   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Do I see a hint of silver spray on the RHS front door & fender?
Infact yes, I also purchased one can of Silver color spray-paint just to touch-up few stratches. (specially where the original color is damaged).
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Infact yes, I also purchased one can of Silver color spray-paint just to touch-up few stratches. (specially where the original color is damaged).
What about using your silver spray-paint to paint the door handles?

Quote:
Congratulations! Well done.
The wheel caps are not going well with the car. Didn't you get New Swift wheel covers?
The finished work looks neat. You did the spray 'with the wheels on the car' or did you remove them?
What about doing the front grill (registration plate area) in black? It will surely look better than vinyl work.
I have one more idea, but it is very weird! Take some parts from the dashboard (like outline of central console, AC vents, steering spokes) and paint them silver? (As in the VXi variant)

Quote:
Your most welcome, mate.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
What about using your silver spray-paint to paint the door handles?
The wheel caps are not going well with the car. Didn't you get New Swift wheel covers?
The finished work looks neat. You did the spray 'with the wheels on the car' or did you remove them?
What about doing the front grill (registration plate area) in black? It will surely look better than vinyl work.
I have one more idea, but it is very weird! Take some parts from the dashboard (like outline of central console, AC vents, steering spokes) and paint them silver? (As in the VXi variant)
  • Door handles/Front Grill: Honestly, I haven't considered painting either the door handles or the front grill area, not sure how good it will look.
  • Wheel covers: I will get the new Swift wheel covers after few months from now since these are already new and dont wish to spend more on wheel caps as of now.
  • Paint job: Yes, I sprayed them with the wheels on the car. Just covered the tyre area near the rims with newspaper chits so that nothing gets sprayed on the tyre while painting the rim corners.
  • Dashboard idea: This one seems quite interesting to me. Spray-painting those smaller things you mentioned will enhance its interior looks. Will see, if I can give it a try and make some-what VXi look-alike
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:27   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a nice DIY stuff on the wheels.

In the above pic at first glance,it does look like alloy wheels if we ignore the plastic tie ups.
alexpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:23   #57
BHPian

Quote:
  • Door handles/Front Grill: Honestly, I haven't considered painting either the door handles or the front grill area, not sure how good it will look.
  • Wheel covers: I will get the new Swift wheel covers after few months from now since these are already new and dont wish to spend more on wheel caps as of now.
  • Paint job: Yes, I sprayed them with the wheels on the car. Just covered the tyre area near the rims with newspaper chits so that nothing gets sprayed on the tyre while painting the rim corners.
  • Dashboard idea: This one seems quite interesting to me. Spray-painting those smaller things you mentioned will enhance its interior looks. Will see, if I can give it a try and make some-what VXi look-alike
Okay.
I have tried to show you how the car will look after the paint-job, which I suggested. Sorry for the bad quality, but I am not having Photoshop in my PC, so gave a try in MS Paint.

Things I have done:
  • Painted the door handles (in silver color)
  • Painted the front grill / the number plate area (in black color)
  • Painted the mud-flaps (in silver color, I know it would be difficult to maintain)
  • Tried to remove the bumper protectors
  • Black Vinyl work on the rear bumper (have a close look)
  • Black Vinyl work on the front bumper (below the headlamps)
  • Interior parts painted in black
  • B-Pillar and rear number plate area blackened

Here's my small effort:

My Silver Maruti Ritz (Petrol) : Ownership Experience-dsc0570520large.jpg

My Silver Maruti Ritz (Petrol) : Ownership Experience-dsc0579920large.jpg

My Silver Maruti Ritz (Petrol) : Ownership Experience-dsc0581320large.jpg

My Silver Maruti Ritz (Petrol) : Ownership Experience-dsc0580720large.jpg

Hope you liked them!
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:51   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Finally I have completed spray-painting the Rims on my Ritz (did it myself). Used 3 Aerosol cans (Rs.100/- each) for all five Rims (including the Stepney tyre). Also, got the B pillar on both sides covered with Good quality Vinyl stickers (Matt Black) for Rs.200/-.

Nice Job buddy and finish rocks.

I have doubt regarding these wheel caps. Don't you get the Ritz wheel caps like the one on my car? (Attached picture for reference)

My Silver Maruti Ritz (Petrol) : Ownership Experience-dsc02981.jpg

And moreover the ones on your car don't do justice to looks. Try and get the older ones. Aren't the wheel caps you use on the car new?! Why plastic straps to hold it on the wheel? My car's wheel caps are still strong after 94000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
Okay.
I have tried to show you how the car will look after the paint-job, which I suggested. Sorry for the bad quality, but I am not having Photoshop in my PC, so gave a try in MS Paint.
One suggestions buddy (No offence).

Leave the car as it is. It looks good now. The silver paint can be used for smaller patches which won't be visible to a casual looker else the contrast will spoil the looks further.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:44   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Nice Job buddy and finish rocks.

I have doubt regarding these wheel caps. Don't you get the Ritz wheel caps like the one on my car? (Attached picture for reference)

And moreover the ones on your car don't do justice to looks. Try and get the older ones. Aren't the wheel caps you use on the car new?! Why plastic straps to hold it on the wheel? My car's wheel caps are still strong after 94000 kms.

One suggestions buddy (No offence).

Leave the car as it is. It looks good now. The silver paint can be used for smaller patches which won't be visible to a casual looker else the contrast will spoil the looks further.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Thank you Anurag.

Reg. Wheel caps: I can get those wheel caps pretty easily, infact the previous ones on my car were somewhat similar to the ones you have on your car. Just thought of trying a different design this time. The wheel caps that you have are standard MGA ones, i guess. Since these are not MGA ones, they tend to get lose sometimes and I fear they may come out on a harsher thud/bump. The accessories shop owner also recommended me to tie them to make sure it doesn't fall off. Else, I have to go for the MGA ones.

@Loud: Appreciate your efforts using mspaint to elaborate on the car modification. The front grill and interior changes looks good. However, I agree with Anurag on some points. Actually, the silver color in the spray-paint is not exactly the same as on the car (Slight difference in shades). So minor touch-ups on scratches is what it can be used for. However, it will not gel with the original color and hence cannot be used on door handles/rear bumper. I think they can be left as it is. As far as interiors go, they are pretty bare anyways in my LXi. So I can think of coloring them.
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

Looks much much better now, in case your chrome mirror covers have worn off, get them removed and check out how it looks.

Check out the below pic, cover the painted sections by a black paper on both the wheel caps and then check out how it looks, if you like it, colour it.

My Silver Maruti Ritz (Petrol) : Ownership Experience-4with-wc.jpg

Remove the PRIGAN logo , put a suzuki logo in black instead over there.

Dont mess too much with dash, rather than getting it painted why dont you buy a silver one from MASS. Also i feel a piano black finish as in international ritz will look much better rather than the silver one.

You can get the tacho fitted on the dash and add a clock inside it.

Also adding side strips on all 4 doors will enhance the side profile which otherwise looks bland

Last edited by silverado : 3rd July 2013 at 15:29.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks