Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2013, 01:58   #1
BHPian

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs8.jpg

It all began about 7 months ago when i was slated to return back to India after three long years. It was a reason enough to put myself to planning on my next car. I was forced to driving a diesel over the years due to the distances i travel which is around 40-50 k kms an year. I never liked the way diesels drive especially in the city. I'm not quite a petrol head either. I am notsomeone who loves to redline everytime i drive. However, this has changed over last couple of years. I'm not sure if it is fitness, but i don't feel like driving long hours like i used to. I have never managed 14+ kmpl with my Punto MJD on Highways. Since this was going to my second car, i wanted to get a petrol car preferably NA which doesn't take me ages to get off but it didn't happen.

Rising petrol prices ( Rs.82 a litre ) got some of the best kept cars to internet market. I began my search

CARS CONSIDERED

1) Honda Civic with a type R/ mugen kit in white has always been my favourite. Plenty of good examples in Bangalore and deciding upon one is a matter of just 2 days. Hence, i think of looking at something else for the moment

2) Ford Mondeo, a forgotten legend which i always felt the best car ever landed on indian soil. I was seeing plenty on roads in middle east. The size, room , features and the road manners have always got me drooling.Got in touch with a couple of present and ex owners to understand the challenges. Well kept cars were rare and the good ones were never up for the grabs. Dropped.

3) Palio s10 hottest and best looking hatch even by present trends. A thorough search left me none to look at. Not on sale in entire south India.

4) Fiesta 1.6s / Linea T-jet / Cedia were great cars but somehow were hard to find and over priced. Common sense tells me that Civic is a better value any day, a segment higher and lasts a lifetime.

A lazy browsing on a weekend bumped me to MotoringLover's http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-2005-vrs.html. Skoda RS in this day and age, despite all the reliability issuesl and costs to livewith, I pessimistically google for a RS in bangalore. It is a 2007 RS with 47,000 clicks. I never knew RS was sold as late as 2007, was quoted 8L. I call the owner to check if he is within my expectations.

" what are you expecting ? " I was down to business right away.

" 6 lakhs ! ". Not a bad price to begin the deal with i thought.

" Please give me final pricing as i'm serious about the car"

" Let me get back to you over e-mail"

I sit back and go through the spares cost. Ajmat's thread was everything i wanted. I assume it was one off a case which turned to be a lemon. I decided to keep a Lakh aside or whereabouts to upkeep as a precaution. Over a few emails i learn from him that Timing Belt and Clutch Changed. It was a bonus and move my budget a little higher and rang up Tafe and Vinayaka. only a boot lock motor ( another common failure i have noticed on RS ) has been replaced. Insurance paper shows 45% NCB.

I call up friends back home requesting them to have a look. I had to listen the expected banter from everyone. " Do you know how it feels to turn off the a/c at every jam " is what i was asked. 82 bucks a litre had better off everyone. " Dude, it is not 8 bucks a litre here" says another, I was in the middleast and it only costs Rs 450 for a tankful. It might surprise you that the neighboring country sold a litre for just 4 bucks.I get in touch with a well known and respected Bhpian, Euro car guru and he readily offers to test drive and reports "very very clean car".

Seller and I, are almost friends now as the discussion goes over a month making it uneasy to put my final price for the car but my name was written on the car as he prefers to give to me if he has to. Lesson learnt - not to make friends if you were to crack a deal with. He doesn't want to part with it whole heartedly but it was only logical for him to give up for the kind of usage he has i.e driving to the heart of the city everyday and back to kormangala. He said "you know RS is like a single malt whisky. I still smell the leather when i get into the car". He was quite right. It still has the new car smell inside but i could only sympathize and help him get a good offer on buying a new diesel laura.

We decided at 5L and 18K for a new battery+throttle body cleaning.He delivered the car to my brother and his feedback was good. It nearly took 2 months from the day of buying for me to have my first sight and this is how she looked. I can't help addressing her as 'she', since she is seductive, attention seeker and above all, very demanding.
Attached Thumbnails
Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs-99.jpg  

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs1.jpg  

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs2.jpg  

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs11.jpg  

Last edited by blackbeast : 12th June 2013 at 23:15.
blackbeast is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 01:19   #2
BHPian

Re: Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia Vrs

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs50.jpg

I was pleased with the condition of the car but the white back rest on the seats and door upholstery were bad. I take her straight to the 3M centre HSR layout and it also happens to be my first drive. Sidhu, the sweet chap made it clear upfront to what extent he can deliver the results. He also gave a demo on the door pad , i was not impressed but went ahead with the treatment. Eventually, They were able to reduce the dirt by 35 %. cost ~ 1500 bucks. If black on the exteriors is hard to maintain, white on the interior is a Pain. I cannot remember any other car with a white carpet. Those 3M mats ( look awful )which cover up all the carpet area is definitely on the list.

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs13.jpg

Interiors are rich with quality, subtle contours and nice texture and plastics have soft feel to them. Gear shift is slick and short throws.

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs4.jpg

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs7.jpg

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs6.jpg

Steering is heavy,nice to grip and leather wrapping is of top quality. No sign of wear and tear and precise. Having been used to fiat for the last couple of years, i cannot notice a difference. I must add, if i don't push my seat back by considerable distance, which i normally do being 180 cms, steering wheel rubs the thighs. Low seating makes you keep legs keep more upright than stretch but the support all round makes up for it.

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs171.jpg

Equipment list runs long. Rain sensing wipers,Headlamp washers, cruise control stand out but not really useful. My favorite though are the good old skoda wala horn and these lamps.

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs152.jpg

And the Sunroof..

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs172.jpg

Cabin is spacious,perfectly quiet with outstanding sound deadening makes the OE ICE sound more crisp.A/C worked to my satisfaction all through this summer.the Instrument cluster look dated but has the retro look, easy to read dials. I hate milestones, one such happened during my recent trip.

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs173.jpg

My sis comments that car looks older than punto. I blame it on the ac console which reminds that it is close to two decades old design

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs14.jpg

Adequate rubber for the next 20 thousand kms. 9k per new piece is quite steep

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs5.jpg

16 inch 10 spokes forged wheels. Hot but harsh. Relatively scratch free but can look a lot nicer upon cleaning.

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs9.jpg

Fellow European and trusted workhorse validated by avid Fiat fan and bhpian Hemanth Anand in my absence during the purchase. A contest of who's got the better steering ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-rs12.jpg

PRACTICALITY

I have mixed opinions on this. The boot is immensely large, Glove box offers decent space, space on the rear parcel shelf is good, support offered by the seat coupled with quiet cabin makes it a nice place to be in. 12 v electrical point is located behind the hand brake, useful to charge phone and very convenient but sadly that is where it ends. Cup holder is weird, door pockets dont really swallow water bottles. Transmission hump runs pretty high making it comfortable only for a four. Ingress/Egress is more like crawling thanks to the low seating layout , i need the support of the steering to get out.The low slung front bumper is scary, so is the GC. Not a go anywhere car due to the associated costs if any damage occurs. OVRM are ridiculously small.

DRIVE THE RIDE

In city drivability is poor in stop and go traffic. Clutch on the RS is hard and mine even harder. Apparently, replacement clutch is of a heavy duty. No details of what make it is and the Mechanic who maintained it attributed to the riding on clutch habit which most Indians have. Flat spot hampers the smooth power delivery demanding to stay on 2nd gear and stay with in the power band. In fact, i found it impossible to take shift to third in smaller towns. I can only imagine how i would negotiate a hairpin bend. Ride is bouncy at low speeds. Turning radius is good especially in comparison with the pre facelift Punto which i drive is worst of all.

Open roads and RS just loves them. Ride gets mature as it gains some momentum and engine goes super quiet at around 2200 rpm sailing at around 100 kph. Revv her up to the redline there is no real grunt and the turbo whining noise is plenty and its a sweet song. You'll really need to make an effort to drive her slow and it stays neatly planted in a straight line given the weight the car has and It traces a consistent arc around the corners. However, there is floating sensation at higher speeds. Suspension good but not perfect.Brakes are excellent. I love to take her past the other cars , stay well ahead and make sure there is no one following. I find it uneasy being overtaken as i will have to keep an eye on the mirrors. I find it relaxed to drive looking straight and don't mind following a car which maintains a speed at which i normally cruise.

Having been raised to be a practical person who keeps his emotions under check i'd like to mention that the day i drive this car, I get a sense of satisfaction towards end of the day. I have done close to 2k kms since i've had her. All of them have been long drives which is about 300 to 400 kms per month for over 6 months and that was the kind of use i bought her for. I begin to scout for a insurance cover. Bajaj DM quote was 24k for an idv of 6L .I get in touch with the internet marketing of Bajaj and bring it down to 16 change. Any Ownership report is incomplete without the FE. I did not precisely calculate yet but i believe i am getting 10 on long drives. more on it when i do a tankful to tankful calculation.

It is the most expensive car i have owned so far yet the cheapest I paid. Absolute VFM.

Last edited by blackbeast : 15th June 2013 at 00:53. Reason: appended the review
blackbeast is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 13:46   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 17th June 2013, 14:01   #4
BHPian

Hi blackbeast,

Thank you for sharing the pictures, car looks great. Considering the price for a new car in the segment, you have got a sweet deal. I would also recommend to take zero depreciation insurance if the option is available.
Old 17th June 2013, 18:28   #5
BHPian

Nice catch! Congrats, BTW what kind of FE figures are you getting??
Old 6th July 2013, 10:30   #6
BHPian

Congrats Blackbeast - Car looks well loved and the pictures are fab, apologies this note comes later. All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
A typical FE for RS is anywhere between 9-10 Kmpl, on highway drives if you can resist the temptation to floor it, I have even got 14 kmpl, on hills with lower temperatures my RS has given me ~12.

Best - ML
Old 7th July 2013, 00:36   #7
BHPian

Congrats, blackbeast! Welcome to the vRS club :-) Your car looks clean.
As per my experience, there is nothing that can replace a octy vRS below 40L price bracket. Wish you thousands of happy miles!
Old 7th July 2013, 08:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post

. It is I get in touch with a well known and respected Bhpian, Euro car guru and he readily offers to test drive and reports "very very clean car".
Hmmmm, that's must be me, it was a very good buy. If I had not bought the Jetta, I would have gladly snapped it up. The clutch was a little heavy since the mechanic put a heavy duty one. The scan showed nothing except symptoms from a weak battery,
Old 17th January 2014, 01:27   #9
BHPian

Apologies Team, I am guilty for updating the thread due to professional and personal commitments and lot of travel.

RS was quoted to be pretty unreliable post 50k on the ODO and a few times and the cliche, i guess it suited me aptly. First trouble started with Check Engine light when i revved to climb the apartment parking. Rotten tomatoes to the guy who built apartment like that which i eventually got changed.car misfires bigtime, tanked up and took her for a spirited drive hoping bad fuel gets burnt and gets alright. No luck.I met Ajmat that weekend and i picked up his OBD scanner, hooked up , O2 sensor before the cat-con gone bad.

17524 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S1
P1116 - 35-00 - Open Circuit
17511 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S1
P1103 - 35-00 - Performance too Low
17526 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S2
P1118 - 35-10 - Open Circuit - Intermittent

Readiness: 0110 1101

Called up Mahaveer skoda and enquired about o2 sensor for octy rs. they asked if it is a petrol or diesel ( No exaggeration) . Called Tafe Bangalore, Guy said over the phone it will cost me 16k + taxes. Looked up on internet. bosch equivalent OE is as cheap as 50 $ but ordered a genuine from skodaparts.com to my sis who was about to visit me. Cost me 11k INR after conversion and it was the time when rupee had just begun to fall steeply.It was delivered the following morning to her. Impeccable service. But she postpones her visit by 2 weeks and wait continues. RS is being called a showpiece by folks at home. it cant go everywhere ( roads in my native are really bad ) and it sits in a corner. Took the car to a waterwash who jacked it up. Removed old sensor and replaced with new.

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-o2_1.jpg

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-o2_2.jpg

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-o2_3.jpg

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-waterwash.jpg

A sense of happiness to abe to drive the car after a long wait. But only Shortlived. After the waterwash i reverse the car to pull out and there is a sudden noise of something breaking. I looked back only to find the rear window mirror being collapsed. Tried to roll up using switch and motor made noise. Relieved to some extent that motor has not failed which is known to fail on RS and even reported on teambhp . Opened the door panel, the regulator was gone. pulled up the glass and used cigarette packing to stick into the gaps between beading and the glass.it stood up and put tape all around. It was looking ugly, drove to New Mars at Hyderabad.

Beast of the damned ! Black Octavia vRS-bumper_grill.jpg

Replaced the window Regulator
Got all the doors Aligned
Bought 3d Mats but not Kagu brand, price 5.2k
Bumper grill was loose, fixed it
Rattling at the rear, used some double sided tape on the tailgate.

I took the delivery with that sense of happiness to have the car in good shape. But my luck says othrwise. Car begins to misfire and little loss of power. Reached home and pulled out the Rosstech cable as i suspected coilpacks, there are no error codes. Briskoda forum folks said that it is not uncommon for coilpack to fail without an error code. Logged on to internet for 4 each of coilpacks and plugs. This time another sis was about to visit from boston. Ordered them from Amazon since they have it for Golf mk4 1.8t .The waiting begins as a ritual. A couple of days later Car revvs up inappropriate rpms with relation to the speedo. It turns out to be the clutch which i had overlooked. Drove the car to New Mars, and clutch gave up completely leading to towing with a rope tied to a autorickshaw. Clutch was the last thing i expected to fail when i bought the car since the previous owner had replaced it sometime ago. All of these are first experiences of breakdown for me, decided to get a complete look up on the car since the service was due.

I shall update on the jobs carried out in the next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Congrats, blackbeast! Welcome to the vRS club :-) Your car looks clean.
As per my experience, there is nothing that can replace a octy vRS below 40L price bracket. Wish you thousands of happy miles!
Thank you Doc. I'm not sure you recollect that we talked about your RS when it was on classifieds for a short period.Glad you retained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baludharmarajan View Post
I would also recommend to take zero depreciation insurance if the option is available.
Got one from Bajaj , assured drive which is bumper to bumper. cost me 16k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
11ish on the highways with speeds around 120 to 150 most of the time. My punto MJD returns 13-14 under same speeds. so my bet is around 100-120 speeds, it must return 15. But problem is, unlike civic , you cannot drive RS slow. You'll really have to make an effort. You can have a relaxed n calm drive in a civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Congrats Blackbeast - Car looks well loved and the pictures are fab, apologies this note comes later. All the best
Best - ML
None required Deepak. You're the one who hooked me up to the very thought of RS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Hmmmm, that's must be me, it was a very good buy. If I had not bought the Jetta, I would have gladly snapped it up. The clutch was a little heavy since the mechanic put a heavy duty one. The scan showed nothing except symptoms from a weak battery,
True. It was a good buy Indeed. But the heavy duty clutch was always a question mark for me. Going by the hardness , easiest assumption would be Single mass flywheel. However, clutch is replaced now. Will update soon and lets catch up sometime ?
blackbeast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 03:20   #10
BHPian

Hi blackbeast,

I had a similar problem with my VRS. The error codes thrown were related to the lambda sensor and misfiring engine. The actual symptoms were loss of power over 3000 RPM and jerking coupled with misfiring engine. The car was still drivable.The guys at skoda mahavir did not suspect the lambda sensor and were sure it was something else.

After some 6000 rs spent on head scratching and coilpack/sparkplug changes, Skoda mahavir diagnosed the problem to be a faulty fuel pump. The fuel pump was not able to keep up the required pressure; hence, post 3000 RPM the fuel injected was low compared to the air computed by the ECU. This makes the engine run lean and misfire. Since the lambda sensor detects unburnt oxygen at the exhaust, The ECU adjusts by trying to pump in more fuel into the engine. Since the fuel pressure is low, the ECU doesn't succeed in its mitigation attempt. The lambda sensor still complains of unburnt oxygen. At this point the ECU thinks the lambda sensor has gone cookoo and throws the lambda sensor error code. The ECU does not seem to be savvy enough to realize that the fuel pressure is low.

Long story short, Replacing the fuel pump instantly transformed my VRS. The engine now sings throughout the rev range . I ended up replacing a broken water pump after that.

I would suggest you take a look at the fuel delivery system for your misfiring problem. Also as a preventative maintenance, change the water pump and timing belt (since your service history is suspect.) The water pump will fail, there is no running away from it.
karthikpra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 09:21   #11
BHPian

I cant believe what kind of bargain happened here:

Seller Quoted at 8L
You say 6L
And ~2months later you bought it for 5L
Old 17th January 2014, 10:31   #12
BHPian

I was thinking why i have not seen an update from you, especially after we spoke on the phone, looks like you were waiting on the calendars to change, anyways i am happy you did get the time to update.

This might sound a bit of an emotional post, and don't mind it being labelled one. RS is a rare car one that is expensive and also is demanding, but the smile it puts on your face every time you get behind the wheel is also something that is not easy to achieve and is now a cult, i have been stopped a couple of times by others asking how an RS is to drive, once i was asked to accelerate from standstill in an empty road, just so that some one could see what acceleration is like in an RS.

Maintenance bits which are annoying and expensive and which need planning as they are not readily stocked as below listed - though not exhaustive, some that i can immediately list of the top of my head.

1. Timing Belt & Water pump - Enough has already been said about it, change it if you do not have documentary evidence proving it to be done.

2. Coil pack - Again something that needs attention at typically at about 40K Km's - roughly a 10K spend for all 4.

3. Stock suspension is reasonably good, but overtime gets very hard, i have paperwork indicating from my previous owner has gotten work done at around 50K.

4. Rubber hoses - They are expensive and take time, look at my thread for the essentials which you should consider changing, i changed simply for peace of mind.

5. Cooling fan - was an issue with models of 05-07 - mine was changed by the previous owner - have not seen too many complaints afterwords.

6. Clutch - a hit or miss - mileage is subjective, i changed my flywheel + clutch at 63K and is expensive.

Don't worry too much, its pretty reliable car and does daily duty for me, but she is demanding, and i forgive her for that. You are part of a rare group of owners who like to cherish it, enjoy being part of the cult.

All the best

ML
Motoringlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 13:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

In today's times, more than the expensive maintainance; it is the constant waiting for parts which result the vehicle being showpiece till then and the frequency of visits to the mechanic which is bothering. This to a large extent takes away the charm of ownership.

In the rear seat of an RS, I did not feel the suspension very sorted. Hard suspension does not always translate to best handling. The jerks very pronounced. The gear shift was one of the best in industry. Your observation is bang on - In city limits, the car is no fun with the lag. On the highway, post 100 is when the smoothness begins.
Old 17th January 2014, 13:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikpra View Post
I would suggest you take a look at the fuel delivery system for your misfiring problem. Also as a preventative maintenance, change the water pump and timing belt (since your service history is suspect.) The water pump will fail, there is no running away from it.
The problem i had was quite sometime ago. Its now rectified. I posted the details for the sake of completing the thread for others to read and know the issues.TB was changed an year and half ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
I cant believe what kind of bargain happened here:

Seller Quoted at 8L
You say 6L
And ~2months later you bought it for 5L
Errrm... correction, Seller quoted 8L in the ad. He quoted 6L when called for first time. Grabbed for 5L in the end without insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
I was thinking why i have not seen an update from you ...

This might sound a bit of an emotional post..

Don't worry too much, its pretty reliable car and does daily duty for me, but she is demanding, and i forgive her for that. You are part of a rare group of owners who like to cherish it, enjoy being part of the cult.

All the best

ML
Remember I told you am hunting for one more car? I was too busy ( in the spare time i had ) with that. Yeah, it was bit emotional but then that is story of the car in almost 10 months which i tried to cover in 1 post. I will post further details of present condition. At the moment, It is in top nick to say the least. Allow me time...
Old 17th January 2014, 14:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

My take is that the flywheel was shot, not the clutch, none the less, you might as well replace both

Cooling fan - chances are the fuse box above the battery might burn out, saying that i had to replace a fan after a near overheating episode on the Segur ghats

Most Viewed