Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2013, 16:36   #76
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!

Robi, the car looks smashing inside out- plus the raised output figures. Not sure if you have kept any track of the FE, but if you have, is there any significant change in the before and after kmpl numbers?
Old 17th July 2013, 22:00   #77
BHPian

Hooked to the thread. Don't mind for me sharing this here. The works under the Pete's Tuned POLO 1.2 TSI -
Keep us updated with the coming mods and reviews.
Asif 6959 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 03:38   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nd3r50n View Post
Robi, the car looks smashing inside out- plus the raised output figures. Not sure if you have kept any track of the FE, but if you have, is there any significant change in the before and after kmpl numbers?
Thanks. I haven't really checked the FE after the mods. I will update the FE after I drive around for a while. In stock it used to vary between 10-12Kmpl.

Another interior image, all the mods gel in with the other parts quite nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-_dsm7486.jpg  

robimahanta is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 08:33   #79
Senior - BHPian

Awesome mods on a great car! I love that steering wheel and the alloys. And the cabin looks great. You really got good taste.

Please give us more pictures.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 10:51   #80
BHPian

Robi, I think you have created an ideal template for modding the GT TSI.
That steering with paddleshifts must be taking the experience up to a whole new level. The alloys look yummy.

Do update a nice, long drive report on how the car feels, post-remap. Would love to read more on that.
amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 11:41   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice it looks.
Of all things, I liked the red stitching the most.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 12:13   #82
Senior - BHPian

One of the best looking Polo's I've seen till date. What I like the most is how subtle you've kept it on the outside and only premium upgrades for the interiors.

The black color and the matt black alloys combination look awesome. Headlight upgrade coming soon? Your GT is sorely missing on bi-xenons to complete the look.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 13:36   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Robi, I think you have created an ideal template for modding the GT TSI.
That steering with paddleshifts must be taking the experience up to a whole new level.
Absolutely agree. Brilliant design and ideating skills, Robi. Now, waiting for the long, long, long drive reviews of your TSi.
4nd3r50n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 14:04   #84
BHPian

It makes the wait for my GT even more frustrating, after seeing all the mods from Robin. Same questions from me to the dealership and the same default response. Hope to get some good news early next week.
thiagust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 16:56   #85
BHPian

@Robin, you have nicely modified your GT.

One question- how different the 205/50/16 wheels are compared to stock 15" wheels? How much was the impact on ride quality and handling?
Old 18th July 2013, 17:40   #86

Hey Robin,

The mods are great and I like the way you liked to retain the stock look of the interiors by getting the RCD 510. Can you please let me know where have you bought this and the price of the same as I am planning to upgrade my RCD 320 on 2013 Vento

Regards
Kiran
Old 18th July 2013, 19:03   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
One of the best looking Polo's I've seen till date. What I like the most is how subtle you've kept it on the outside and only premium upgrades for the interiors.

The black color and the matt black alloys combination look awesome. Headlight upgrade coming soon? Your GT is sorely missing on bi-xenons to complete the look.
Thanks. I dont like flashy stuff too much hence try to keep it clean and simple. As for the headlamps, I checked out quite a few aftermarket ones from 16K a pair to around 40K a pair but they were all too tacky and over the top. Mostly with too many DRL's, corona rings and what not. Besides the finish was poor. Some of the aftermarket tails lamps were quite nice though. The only headlamps I liked were the original GTi xenons but those are obscenely expensive. I know someone who have fitted those in his Polo and will check them out in person soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
@Robin, you have nicely modified your GT.

One question- how different the 205/50/16 wheels are compared to stock 15" wheels? How much was the impact on ride quality and handling?
I am quite used to a firm ride so I actually quite like the ride quality after the upgrade. The steering used to be too light prior to the tyre upgrade and has weighed down a little after the upsize. As for the handling, it has improved by leaps and bounds after the damper upgrade combined with the tyres. If you want a softer ride with the same 205 size tyres then the Apollo Acelere Maxx is a good bet.

Removed all decals, stickers except for the GTi emblems. As of now the car does not deserve the GTi moniker but I hope Milltek Sport will be out with a sports exhaust system for the 1.2 TSi taking the power of the little hatch to over 130HP.

The front grill
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-_dsm7496.jpg

The amber indicator bulb spoils the clean look of the smoked headlamp cluster. I will be getting the Philips Silver vision indicator bulbs soon.
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-philipsindicatorbulbs.jpg

The rear GTi emblem
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-_dsm7500.jpg

A sublte VW motorsport decal in the front fender
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-_dsm7494.jpg

Last edited by robimahanta : 18th July 2013 at 19:06.
robimahanta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 19:11   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Thanks.

@robimahanta, Your cars will seriously win the beauty contest between Europeans.Looks great. Where did you buy the GTI grille? Are any others mods in the pipeline? Also, is there any possibility to add cruise control to the GT TSI?

Drive Safe,

Cheers,

Achyuth

Last edited by Achyuth Vaibhav : 18th July 2013 at 19:13.
Old 18th July 2013, 20:15   #89
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your insight Robi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
If you want a softer ride with the same 205 size tyres then the Apollo Acelere Maxx is a good bet.
I am very skeptical about Apollo and JK, they are too noisy at times (which is biggest concern for me) and the ride quality is also not great even on stock 185/60 profiles due to hard compound. Yeah, the MAXX are different tyes than stock but they are Apollo so....

Which are other good options in 16" with least error? GIII, MY-02? I am bit assertive about Yokos too so would like to avoid them as far as possible. No proper sizes available in Michelin.

Aren't any good choices available in 195/55/16?
Old 18th July 2013, 22:45   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
@robimahanta, Your cars will seriously win the beauty contest between Europeans.Looks great. Where did you buy the GTI grille? Are any others mods in the pipeline? Also, is there any possibility to add cruise control to the GT TSI?
Thanks. I got the the GTi grill imported through Himanshu (J&J Motorwerks,Mumbai). In case you want to get it just know that there are numerous cheap replicas available, make sure you get a genuine one.

Cruise control is a very easy retrofit and its obviously possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Thanks a lot for your insight Robi.

I am very skeptical about Apollo and JK, they are too noisy at times (which is biggest concern for me) and the ride quality is also not great even on stock 185/60 profiles due to hard compound. Yeah, the MAXX are different tyes than stock but they are Apollo so....

Which are other good options in 16" with least error? GIII, MY-02? I am bit assertive about Yokos too so would like to avoid them as far as possible. No proper sizes available in Michelin.

Aren't any good choices available in 195/55/16?
Finding 16 inch tires for the polo is a tough task. The UK spec Polo comes with 215/45 16 but no tires are available in that size in India, besides 215/45 is an overkill in India. The next ideal size being 205/50 16 which has an error of around 1.3%. Hardly any tires are available in that size save the YOKO R1 drives, S Drives, Apollo Acelere Maxx and some others like Sonar, Nankang, Kenda etc.

195/55 16 has a lot of options but that would mean an error of 3%. I did not want to take a risk considering the car has ESP.

Various tire options (Source: www.1010tires.com)
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-polotire.jpg

Last edited by robimahanta : 18th July 2013 at 22:46.

Most Viewed