Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2013, 23:40   #91
Senior - BHPian

Wow! I knew you would be doing something with the GT-TSI but never thought you will go this far.

The flat-bottom steering with those paddle shifters are indeed drool-worthy stuff. I have been following your laura thread and after all these mods, I can confidently say that you are one of the biggest automobile enthusiast I am aware of.

The mods are subtle and are very well geling with the overall looks. I wish you many happy miles of revving with the 120BHP beast.

Last edited by dZired : 18th July 2013 at 23:42.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 01:19   #92
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!

Those are some really awesome mods. I love the fact that you were able to source the GTi steering wheel and the paddle shifter extensions. That really changes the look and feel of the car on the inside. That wheel is a joy to hold and use.

I wonder if VW can recognize the potential of this car in the aftermarket mods business, and start offering accessories for it. Most buyers prepared to shell out 8+ lakh for a performance hatchback would be open to aftermarket accessories.
kinetic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 07:03   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
195/55 16 has a lot of options but that would mean an error of 3%.
Sorry for wrong specs I posted earlier, I wanted to ask about 195/50/16. This tyre has least error then comes 205/50/16.
Old 19th July 2013, 10:35   #94
BHPian

Nice mods there robi.

Time to do a V-box run after the exhaust mod and post the results.
Old 19th July 2013, 13:49   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Sorry for wrong specs I posted earlier, I wanted to ask about 195/50/16. This tyre has least error then comes 205/50/16.
I dont think any tires are available in 195/50 16 in India. If you do find any decent tires in that size, do let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Nice mods there robi.

Time to do a V-box run after the exhaust mod and post the results.
Getting a decent bolt on exhaust for the 1.2 TSi is difficult as its not a real performance engine. Most of the better exhaust systems are for the 1.4TSi and above. However, Supersprint do make some exhaust system for the 1.2 TSi, so lets see.

Last edited by robimahanta : 19th July 2013 at 13:53.
Old 20th July 2013, 16:04   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic mods there Robi. You are now the official VAG mod guru on the forum. I knew you wouldn't be able to wait till your warranty expired .

You garage is really enviable now. A 300 bhp MT monster for the highways and a quick shifting AT hot hatch for the city.
Old 20th July 2013, 17:49   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Fantastic mods there Robi. You are now the official VAG mod guru on the forum. I knew you wouldn't be able to wait till your warranty expired .

You garage is really enviable now. A 300 bhp MT monster for the highways and a quick shifting AT hot hatch for the city.
Thanks Santosh. But I am no guru and all, I just try to get information about the various possible modifications and choose the ones which looks genuine and helps improve the car overall.
We now have quite a few modded Laura's in Bangalore in different states of tune. Lets head out on a weekend getaway soon.

Coming back to the mods, I have changed the stock single light interior light cluster in the Polo to the one similar in the Laura. It has proper positioning of the BT mic and two extra map reading lamps as well. The sound clarity of the phone calls is much better than the stock system now.
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-photo13.jpg

For those interested in VCDS options:

I have activated "tear wipe" option of the wipers
Flashing of indicators on emergency braking
Lane change indicator to 4 clicks instead of the stock 3
Increased the volume and frequency of rear parking sensors (RCD510 automatically cuts down the volume when reverse gear is engaged as well)

There are other options like horn confirmation of door locking etc. But I have not activated it.

Last edited by robimahanta : 20th July 2013 at 17:54.
robimahanta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 18:14   #98
BHPian

"Best Interior in a VW Polo - EVER! " award needed here ! And that is coming from a fellow VW owner .Your car is the best example of , in fact a tribute to AutoMod fanaticism Simple superb ! Keep it up .
Amogh Barakol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 21:29   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Fantastic mods there Robi. You are now the official VAG mod guru on the forum.
A 300 bhp MT monster for the highways and a quick shifting AT hot hatch for the city.
"Best Interior in a VW Polo - EVER! "
Totally agree. Robi clearly is swinging between the best of both worlds. It's only a coincidence that both vehicles belong to a common stable. What impresses me is the manner in which Robi is able to extract a maximum from his vehicles with subtle inputs or changes.
4nd3r50n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 22:06   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

I read on other thread that the Polo GT does not have an intercooler.
Can Petes install one? What will be the gains?
Old 20th July 2013, 23:05   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I read on other thread that the Polo GT does not have an intercooler.
Can Petes install one? What will be the gains?
The Polo 1.2Tsi has a water cooled intercooler, VW calls it the "charged air cooler". It is integrated into the intake manifold.

I don't think bolt on intercoolers are available for this engine. At most one can fabricate generic intercoolers with the hose work. But unless you are in a very hot city with lots of stop-go traffic and remapping to very high boost pressures, the gains are probably not worth the effort. Rather a good exhaust system with downpipe will fetch you more power quite easily.
robimahanta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 21:48   #102
BHPian

Loving your mods so far Robi, have you discussed the warranty with the folks at Volkswagen? considering your car is tastefully done and you actually haven't gone over the top, I feel they should still honour it.

Now getting to more risque topics, would you dare to try setting up a push start/passive keyless entry system?

For eg: http://www.innovativeignitionsystems...e-100-cb/c24l3

Its quite expensive touching the 20k mark and well, is just for show really. If I were ever to get the TSi and start modding, this would be the very last I would attempt.

Or how about replacing the lamps with Euro style lamps and the ORVMs for Euro style ones. The new Octavias for sure will be getting these new ORVMs, I wonder if the next model of the Polo/Vento/Rapid will get them too?

I'd probably go the same route as you with the alloys, ICE, Steering wheel and suspension!

Keep up the great work, I'll be locked onto this thread for sure!
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:39   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

And I am eagerly waiting for the following:
1. Top Speed (before and after remap)
2. Kitna deti hai (sane driving - allowing the DSG to do it's job as well as spirited driving). In fact, can you do an FE run (I know, quite uncharacteristic to what's being discussed , but it will help me understand how practical the GT is for daily city usage)

Just trying to figure out if it will be sensible and fun to own one alongside the Laura TSi (which I have kept absolutely stock for last 3.5 years)...
Old 22nd July 2013, 14:57   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
And I am eagerly waiting for the following:
1. Top Speed (before and after remap)
2. Kitna deti hai (sane driving - allowing the DSG to do it's job as well as spirited driving). In fact, can you do an FE run (I know, quite uncharacteristic to what's being discussed , but it will help me understand how practical the GT is for daily city usage)

Just trying to figure out if it will be sensible and fun to own one alongside the Laura TSi (which I have kept absolutely stock for last 3.5 years)...
Lets not discuss top speeds here. I did not check what it was before the remap but after the remap the claimed top speed is easily achievable.
Again mileage, as with all turbo petrols depends on how you drive. I am currently getting 10-11kmpl in the city/highway combined. But its neither a mileage run nor paranoid pedal to the metal one.

As for owning a 1.2Tsi along side the 1.8Tsi, its never going to be sensible idea. In that case you need to buy a diesel hatchback like a chevy beat or something. But when it comes to fun or driving dynamics, its unparalleled.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 15:05   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, I will PM you for the top speed :-)

10-11kmpl in the combined cycle is a little less for the 1.2L capacity? I get 10-12kmpl on the Laura - with normal driving (neither FE conscious nor aggressive).

In any case, I am getting more and more inclined to buy one :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks