re: Tesla Model S: First Impressions

Nice looking car.

I read about this car today for a wrong reason;

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/19/44...all-weld-fault
Old 19th June 2013, 22:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the review and pics.
this is one car that doesn't make me worry about the future without IC engine, something like will be just fine if the inevitable happens.
Old 20th June 2013, 00:26   #33
BHPian

Tesla seems to be the apple of automobile companies

As apple was with the launch of iPad and iPhone. Their tech was so ahead of times and yeah the supercharging concept is brilliant

Wish we have a such an electric car in hatchback form with decent space. Even at 25 percent power of tesla s it will be a fun car to drive with the instant torque
rikhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 01:48   #34
BANNED

@theragingbull

Congrats on the machine!

Please do tell about the reductions in taxes that us outsiders hear a lot about when this car is mentioned.

Something I realized is that this car only seems to be popular among the techie folk. As someone here has already said, I have not seen this car anywhere in the USA except the Bay Area, and that says a lot.

Frankly I think some people are perfectly happy with their lifted Dodge Rams and Ford F350/Chevy Tahoes (Texans come to mind), hence I wonder if this can truly capture the world market, since the US customer base seems to be a problem in the first place.

For example, I cannot imagine a car like this succeeding in Houston !

But kudos to Elon Musk on trying to change the world.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 20th June 2013 at 01:50.
Old 20th June 2013, 02:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
@theragingbull

Congrats on the machine!

Please do tell about the reductions in taxes that us outsiders hear a lot about when this car is mentioned.

Something I realized is that this car only seems to be popular among the techie folk. As someone here has already said, I have not seen this car anywhere in the USA except the Bay Area, and that says a lot.

Frankly I think some people are perfectly happy with their lifted Dodge Rams and Ford F350/Chevy Tahoes (Texans come to mind), hence I wonder if this can truly capture the world market, since the US customer base seems to be a problem in the first place.

For example, I cannot imagine a car like this succeeding in Houston !

But kudos to Elon Musk on trying to change the world.
Here is the link to the cost of ownership for Model S:

http://www.teslamotors.com/true-cost-of-ownership

It differs by state and the savings are Federal+State tax credit. Awesome numbers as they are direct credit and not tax write-off's.

Tesla recently announced that they will give fully loaded newer Model S to owners when the car is due for servicing. Its pure marketing as Elon wants owners to experience new cars with all features. I should have bought the stocks when the time was right
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 02:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Hey folks!

Long time I haven't posted on TBHP. Now is the time to come with a first T-bhp ownership review of the Tesla Model S . The world's best electric car and in my opinion, after spending time with it, very well the best car in the world. It has already received the best car of the year accolades from various reviewers. Tesla is one company that I have been regularly following. CEO Elon Musk is a brilliant mind and Tesla is going to be THE car company that will pioneer the future of automobiles.
Zohaib - Thanks for writing this review. I was truly looking forward to someone on tbhp writing a review of the Model S. It is a true ground breaking innovation in terms of automotive technology. I expect Tesla to be the luxury segment leaded in the next 2 years. They are on their way to produce a more economical 30 to 40k USD car - with rebates which would cost like any Camry/Accords of the world. They have a real bright future in front of them, Tesla.

Given the low depreciation promised, what would be the price of a Model S after let's say 3 years of ownership? I would like to know for all variants.
Old 20th June 2013, 03:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all! I would just like to clarify again here that my uncle bought this car. Since we live nearby, I visit him often and have good time with the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
The regenerative braking works in all cases, even in normal day to day traffic?
Yes, it works in every decelerating condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Nice looking car.

I read about this car today for a wrong reason;

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/19/44...all-weld-fault
Not a big deal this one. Very few Teslas were affected. But the good thing is we will be contacted by Tesla, which will pick up the car from "a location of the owner's convenience" and provide a Model S loaner while the issue is addressed, which Musk says will take "a few hours." This convenience is provided for any kind of service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
@theragingbull

Congrats on the machine!

In Colorado, Federal+State rebate is $13,500. You see more cars in the Bay area because Tesla has already installed 6 supercharging stations in California! So one can do a whole road trip around the state without worrying to charge for several hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Given the low depreciation promised, what would be the price of a Model S after let's say 3 years of ownership? I would like to know for all variants.
I cannot comment on that because the Tesla Model S has not been here for a long time but I am pretty sure the value of this car will be one of the highest even after 3 years. This is a pretty niche segment.
theragingbull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 03:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I cannot comment on that because the Tesla Model S has not been here for a long time but I am pretty sure the value of this car will be one of the highest even after 3 years. This is a pretty niche segment.
Elon Musk has gone on record and put a website that shows you the impact of the lower depreciation on your monthly payments if you finance the car. Effective cost of ownership for the 60 kwh model for someone driving 15k miles a year in Illinois is around 500$ a month! That is shockingly low for a 70k USD car.
Old 20th June 2013, 03:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Congrats, this is surely a first. I love this car, just yesterday visited the showroom and god is it gorgeous! Maybe one day when i have the moolah.

The model X suv is up next which is probably late 2014 but at the same price after which the 30-40k car would be developed. Elon Musk Bet it all on this car. Guy is an inspiration.

Fisker Karma: This company is closed and up for sale last i heard. Hurricane sandy took this company down.

Chevy Volt: Never seen one!
Old 20th June 2013, 05:56   #40
BHPian

I really wonder what other car manufacturers are actually doing all this while? I mean come on an electric with a range of 317 KM is highly practical. There are IC engine powered cars with less range than that on a full tank. And considering that it is a 302 HP car and looks like a car, drives like a car, feels like a car too, its high time that Mahindra, Tata, Chevy and others take a lesson or two from Tesla.

I really like the concept of making the whole floor board a battery and keeping things simple. Also, the concept of having two boots, in front and in rear is really amazing.

Electric cars are the way to go and someday we will have cars that do not need any external power source, and would be charging via solar cells all across the body of the car and that would be an amazing driving experience. More so the maintenance of these cars is pretty less as compared to normal IC engine based cars thus making them very viable.

I would definitely have been contemplating changing my car for a Tesla S, had we had it here in India. Wish we have electric cars here soon.
Old 20th June 2013, 09:12   #41
BHPian

Wow, whoah. That's a great car to own. Congrats.
This would be my US car then. What sort of batteries Tesla uses and what's the warranty coverage for them. Also what is the replacement window for these batteries.
While calculating long term ownership costs, this cost of battery replacement should be taken in to account ? If yes, how do the number stack up ?
Some photos of the instrument cluster/behind the wheels would help.
Old 20th June 2013, 11:04   #42
BHPian

Congratulations! I have never seen a car quite as beautiful as the Model-S. I kept my eyes peeled for them during my visit to the U.S last month, saw exactly ONE in New York and four in San Francisco. Was absolutely thrilled each time I spotted one. Would have given anything to drive one too
Do keep posting your experiences with the car. I read about people having trouble with the batteries, but I guess that is something Tesla will iron out pretty soon in the future.
Old 20th June 2013, 11:55   #43
BHPian

Congratulations for the proud possession.

I liked their approach of designing an EV right from ground-up, rather than a hybrid that looks sort of retrofitted kits! About designs, Tesla is like Apple Inc. in automobile industry, simple yet outstanding.

well, it has to come today only while we appreciate this wonderful thread on Team-BHP - a recall news about Tesla Model S.
Old 20th June 2013, 12:27   #44
BHPian

Ever since i knew about this car, i dreamed about owning it. You are one lucky one to feel and drive it often at its ealry age. Don't knw whether it reaches this part of the world.

It looks fantastic and i heard only +ve reviews.

Govt. should encourage/motivate this kinda e-cars manufacturers so that we can get more of this 0 emission cars which is very much needed now.
Old 20th June 2013, 13:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hey folks!

Our Tesla is the 60KWh model, which gives a range of 230 mi (370 km) with full charge. Max. power is 225 kW (302 hp) and Max. torque is 317 lb·ft (430 N·m) @ 0-5000 rpm. The Tesla goes from 0-60mph in 5.9secs to a top speed of 120mph (190km/h).

Handling is another area where this car really shines. The steering, though electric, is perfectly weighted and gives a good amount of feedback. The car points exactly where you want. Flawless handling on the mountain roads. This can easily rival the 5 series when it comes to handling.
5.9 seconds you say. 430 Nm torque. And 302 hp. Handling of a series 5. That too Electric. Now I know what I have been missing!

Hey theragingbull, thanks for sharing something special with us. We are privileged to take a peek at the future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks