Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2015, 13:07   #121
BHPian

Re: 2013 Mahindra Bolero - Rumble Tumble Tank comes home! EDIT: 14,000 Kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridutt View Post
So, sometime, when you have a weekend free, could you do a comparo against the new Sumo Gold, and let me know your thoughts? I'm thinking about a second car. One that can be taken anywhere, driven in the city, gives decent mileage, can carry a lot of folks (Sumo comes in 8+D), has decent GC, and can be repaired anywhere cheaply. I know - asking for everything

Logically, an MUV, which is pocket friendly to buy, run and maintain is the solution. Bolero, GAMA and the Sumo fit the bill. As you would have realized, looks don't really matter that much to me.

Low end drivability (for city traffic and steep slopes), turning radius, ground clearance, and leg space are important - I'm a 6 footer, and among the shorter folks in my group of friends. Again - its Bangalore so GC for the speed breakers is an important feature as well.

I'd appreciate getting a Bolero owners POV on this.
For me, the Bolero was knocked out of the race as soon as you said you're a 6 footer and want leg space. Trust me, you will NOT be comfy in the Bolero at all. If your friends are taller than you, it'll be knees brushing galore. The Bolero however has a good turning radius, splendid AC, and very cheap maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
Bolero is a low maintenance, pocket friendly vehicle for sure. Fuel efficiency has been good at an average 14 kmpl and on the maintenance front all it needs is oil, oil filter and fuel filter changes at 10k kms. (Guess this would be similar in Sumo). Other than this Bolero requires, minimum attention, keeps chugging along peacefully.

But the rear seat space is lesser compared to Sumo. If you are looking to accommodate 6 footers in the rear, then Bolero will not suit. Although Bolero's front seats are comfortable for 6 footers, but will leave very minimal leg room behind.

On the positive side, the build quality of a Bolero is very good. I own a Bolero for past 6 yrs and more than 180k kms on the odo, no rattles, minor squeaks have started up now. I don't know how strong is the build quality of Sumo Gold, the old Sumos used to rattle quite a bit and show ageing very soon.

On the turning dia, Bolero takes more space than a Sumo. So taking U turns in Bangalore roads is a planned move. The Sumo is quick and is easy at U turns for sure.
Interesting points, more or less along the same lines as mine. The Bolero is ok for build quality. The leaf springs will ensure a super bumpy ride quality. Speed breakers toh pakka the rear occupants will have a nice jolt unless you take the breaker at 1 kmph with the ultimate accelerator and clutch control. The ancillary components on the Bolero like the external foot boards, and the clip on body panels will be shaky throughout.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 16:40   #122
BHPian

Re: 2013 Mahindra Bolero - Rumble Tumble Tank comes home! (More Pics on Pg 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridutt View Post
Low end drivability (for city traffic and steep slopes), turning radius, ground clearance, and leg space are important - I'm a 6 footer, and among the shorter folks in my group of friends. Again - its Bangalore so GC for the speed breakers is an important feature as well.

I'd appreciate getting a Bolero owners POV on this.
Hi Sridutt,

I 'may' have an answer to your question. I have the Bolero which is slightly elongated (still a 7 seater and not the 9 seater 'Plus' one) and has fantastic legroom in the 2nd row. I have travelled through many states and my friends who usually sit on the back have remarked at length of the huge legroom they get at the back and how comfortable they find it. Ofcourse the leaf spring suspension on all 4 wheels then takes some of that comfort away but as long as the perspective is on legroom- it is a fine car. Take a look at picture number 6 on the link below

Good Bits: DI engine, great low end grunt, fantastic mileage, available in 4x4 if you wish, cheaper to service than my Bullet
Bad Bits: Leaf Springs on all 4 wheels so you will have a bumpy and jumpy ride- unless you nudge over bumps at a speed no more than 1 kilometer/per hour, No powersteering from the factory and if you opt for the 4x4- no AC from the factory as well (both can be installed from outside)

Hope this helps you somehow

Regards,
Rahul

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ave-liked.html
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 14:14   #123
BHPian

Re: 2013 Mahindra Bolero - Rumble Tumble Tank comes home! (More Pics on Pg 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
For me, the Bolero was knocked out of the race as soon as you said you're a 6 footer and want leg space.
Thanks - much appreciate the insight. Yes, its a severe pain when us guys are traveling - painful in the knees, and painful in the back. The Etios is fine, but then we have a caravan like circus going about the hills and dales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
I 'may' have an answer to your question. I have the Bolero which is slightly elongated (still a 7 seater and not the 9 seater 'Plus' one) and has fantastic legroom in the 2nd row.
Thanks - that's extremely helpful! Now the thing comes back into contention. I guess.. hm... I guess a decent test drive alone would work. Let me figure if they have a 7 seater at all, and if they can let me take a TD. Although a week odd back I saw a new bolero with an impressive gap between the second row and the first.

I should go figure this weekend.
Old 13th May 2015, 14:32   #124
BHPian

Re: 2013 Mahindra Bolero - Rumble Tumble Tank comes home! EDIT: 14,000 Kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Interesting points, more or less along the same lines as mine. The Bolero is ok for build quality. The leaf springs will ensure a super bumpy ride quality. Speed breakers toh pakka the rear occupants will have a nice jolt unless you take the breaker at 1 kmph with the ultimate accelerator and clutch control. The ancillary components on the Bolero like the external foot boards, and the clip on body panels will be shaky throughout.

Trust me the build quality has been superb on my Bolero, not even the ancillary components are shaky. My truck has done 185k kms on different terrains with a trip to Ladakh from Bangalore.

The leaf-springs are boucny a bit, but in my vehicle the ride was very good right from the beginning and I definitely don't slow down to 1kmph, in fact I find myself taking a speed breakers at a higher speed than for comparison while driving a Scorpio or Innova.

But recently after re-cambering my rear leaf-springs, the ride had become terrible like what you explained. So just the last month, the leafs were removed and the height measured it was set to 8.3 inches The stock new vehicle would have only 6.9 tp 7 inches.

I asked to set it to 7 inches and then we tried, the vehicle had sat down at the back and ride was bumpy again. Since my leaf-spring plates are old, they would have lacked the same mechanical stiffness/ strength as the new plates, hence setting it to stock specification of 7 inches did not work. So the leafs were taken out once more and the re-cambered and set to 7.8 inches. Now the ride is back to its best.

To think about it, all I can say that is Mahindra never makes consistent quality, so no two vehicles would be same here. I guess my vehicle was lucky to have a well sorted out rear leaf spring suspension from the time it was new.
Herbie98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 20:51   #125
BHPian

Sir ByDesign, greetings to you.
The reason I am in this thread is because of a query which I have and it has been bugging me since a few days. The question in my mind is more of a psychological one rather than mechanical or any other of that sort. I have been extensively using the Grand i10 (Asta) from the past 8 months for my commute to college which is a 65kms up and down journey. After I complete my graduation I am thinking of getting a Bolero (m2dicr variant to be precise) as I can't take the Hyundai with me when I go to pursue higher studies as it is also the beater car in home doing the local chores. And the reason of upgrading to a Bolero is due to the robust build quality, massive road presence, less gizmos on-board and the abuse friendly/easy on the pocket m2di engine (apart from my love for the old school jeep inspired looks). Now comes the real question. Can I survive with a Bolero after using a car like Grand i10? The m2di engine, even though can take a world of abuse isn't a 0-100 in 13 seconds kind like the Hyundai. I am fine with the bumpy ride and I think I can live with that. Are there any other things that I should consider if I am to make the jump? Since you are living/lived with a fast (compared to the Bolero) hatchback/sedan having superior comfort and refinement in your garage and can differentiate between the Bolero and other cars, from a driver's perspective I would like your inputs on the situation I am having.
Regards

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 5th March 2018 at 21:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks