Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:29   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport Titanium (Ecoboost) - Diamond White

Hmm....
I had high expectations from EcoBoost.
From what I have read, from technology point of view, it's very similar to the VW/Audi TSi engines with additional advantage of smaller displacement, 1 less cylinder, etc. My Laura TSi regularly does 10-12 kmpl in city/highway mix - and it's a 1.8L engine, pulling a 1300 kg car...and it has very little turbo lag!
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:02   #62
Senior - BHPian

I think people are getting carried away. Ford themselves mention that Ecoboost returns 20% more FE over a regular 1.6Ltr engine.

So it was obvious from that logic that within city limits, we can expect around 11-12 kmpl in city. But we are expecting magic !! Couple of weeks back when i shared the info that the Ecoboost MID was showing 10.8kmpl avg, some Auto expert termed it was a Propaganda against Ford !!

Having said that in this case its too early to conclude mileage. But say after 5-10K it should settle in 11-12kmpl range(May be more with mixed highway and weekend running). If i had bought ecoboost, I would be very happy with mileage of 12 in city.
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:29   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I think people are getting carried away. Ford themselves mention that Ecoboost returns 20% more FE over a regular 1.6Ltr engine.

So it was obvious from that logic that within city limits, we can expect around 11-12 kmpl in city. But we are expecting magic !! Couple of weeks back when i shared the info that the Ecoboost MID was showing 10.8kmpl avg, some Auto expert termed it was a Propaganda against Ford !!
Carried away? How exactly?
Kindly note that I am comparing it with my 3 year old 1.8TSi (forget 1.6L NA or something).
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:39   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Carried away? How exactly?
Kindly note that I am comparing it with my 3 year old 1.8TSi (forget 1.6L NA or something).
When Ford mentioned 20% more mileage, don't you think they would have done it based on their own engines ?

New Fiesta petrol(1.5ltr) returns 10 kmpl in Bangalore.May be thanks to the state of our roads here. Ecoboost is indeed returning 20% better mileage isnt it ? It might settle into 11-13 kmpl range(15-16kmpl on highways). Anything more is a bonus.

BTW, Saisrujan is happy with the FE he is getting. Even I would be happy with a mileage of 12 from a peppy petrol engine. So why argue ?

Last edited by rajshenoy : 22nd July 2013 at 11:42.
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:42   #65
BHPian

Quote:
But we are expecting magic !!
Not magic, but something better, because the whole advertisement was saying loud about FE.
I am sure people will not be terribly disappointed with the figure of 12. Had Ford not said anything about 20% less fuel consumption, people would have been astonished to find 12 Kmpl in the city for a 125 Bhp engine.
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:52   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Not magic, but something better, because the whole advertisement was saying loud about FE.
I am sure people will not be terribly disappointed with the figure of 12. Had Ford not said anything about 20% less fuel consumption, people would have been astonished to find 12 Kmpl in the city for a 125 Bhp engine.
Agree with you, it is the hype they have created that is making people think this way.

But Even Anand has a point there. May be VW engines are better than Fords
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:14   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, Saisrujan is happy with the FE he is getting. Even I would be happy with a mileage of 12 from a peppy petrol engine. So why argue ?
Not sure how this is relevant to the topic being discussed...
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure how this is relevant to the topic being discussed...
He is the owner of the thread and Ecoboost Ecosport as well. So he being happy is the only thing that is relevant here.

Offtopic:
Sir, dont get me wrong here. I have been driving petrol cars for some time now and consciously switching to diesel(shortly) because however good mileage petrol engines return, they will still be 30% short of diesel mileage.

If i had bought ecoboost, i would be happy with 12 kmpl.

But for my needs diesel would be better fit. And 1.5ltr diesel on Ecosport is expected to return around 15-16kmpl in city conditions So a petrol engine returning 10-12 is not a surprise for me.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:43   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He is the owner of the thread and Ecoboost Ecosport as well. So he being happy is the only thing that is relevant here.
The thread is about the EcoBoost engine. So I think technology comparisons are surely relevant - irrespective of whether they are interesting to you.

Yes, if thread owner happy with the vehicle, that's a good news but it does not have to intercept the discussion.
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:54   #70
BHPian

I believe one of the reasons for resentment among most of us is also the much publicized ARAI figure of 18.9 kmpl. I know that real world figures will always be less than the ARAI figure, but in ecoboost's case the difference is huge.

Last edited by ndinesh : 22nd July 2013 at 16:55. Reason: Spell check
ndinesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:51   #71
BHPian

Hi All, I took delivery of my EcoSport EcoBoost yesterday. I will come up with a review soon.
The car is a very good package. I noted that engine is very peppy. You don;t have to downshift so often if you are driving alone.
Think A pillars are one major concern but overall I can assure you that you will be satisfied buyer if you have booked one.
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:23   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All, I took delivery of my EcoSport EcoBoost yesterday. I will come up with a review soon.
The car is a very good package. I noted that engine is very peppy. You don;t have to downshift so often if you are driving alone.
Think A pillars are one major concern but overall I can assure you that you will be satisfied buyer if you have booked one.
Congrats on your Ecoboost buddy..Awaiting your review. Please make sure that you cover all points discussed here.
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:16   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm....
I had high expectations from EcoBoost.
From what I have read, from technology point of view, it's very similar to the VW/Audi TSi engines with additional advantage of smaller displacement, 1 less cylinder, etc. My Laura TSi regularly does 10-12 kmpl in city/highway mix - and it's a 1.8L engine, pulling a 1300 kg car...and it has very little turbo lag!
Anandpadhye, I'm surprised your Laura TSi is returning exemplary mileage. This is what Team-bhp review said:

Quote:
The ARAI fuel efficiency figures for the vRS are 13.4 kpl, while Laura TSI owners on Team-BHP have reported an average of 8.2 kpl (City) / 11.7 kpl (Highway)
Now your kinda mileage is incredible for such a good-performing engine. I'm sure you must be very happy.

Quote:
Well, whether or not I'm happy doesn't prove anything about the worthiness of the engine. The discussion on whether or not the engine is worth the claim can go on. It's a discussion we want, not an argument.

Quote:
Yes, always remember, it's a peppy engine - not many cars at this price range are offered with engines that put out 125 bhp + 170 Nm.

Quote:
Congratulations! Will look forward for a detailed review soon. Enjoy your car!
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:30   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post

Well, whether or not I'm happy doesn't prove anything about the worthiness of the engine. The discussion on whether or not the engine is worth the claim can go on. It's a discussion we want, not an argument.

Is the Ecoboost engine worth the claim ?

ARAI has certified this car to return 18 kmpl. Considering how chocked our cities are, it would be wise to expect anything around 11-13 in city conditions. Other factors are its a puny engine outside its turbo band(just like an alto K10). So mileage will take a hit unless you manage it to run in turbo band(forget bumper-bumper traffic).

On highways, you have more chances of getting close to ARAI claims (slightly more too). How many cars are capable of achieving ARAI certified mileage in city conditions ? I don't know about your city, But in Bangalore its impossible.
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:53   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
Anandpadhye, I'm surprised your Laura TSi is returning exemplary mileage. This is what Team-bhp review said:

Now your kinda mileage is incredible for such a good-performing engine. I'm sure you must be very happy.
Yes, this 1.8 TSi is an amazing engine. And I am hoping the EcoBoost to be a good engine, as well, if not better. Of course, the gearbox also plays a vital roll in drive-ability and hence FE. How are the ratios on the EcoBoost? The 6 speed GB that comes with the Laura has very well spaced ratios...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 23rd July 2013 at 12:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks