Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2013, 16:59   #31
BHPian

And thanks for all the wishes and I will try my best to keep this thread up to date. Every yeti owner goes through the Skoda service issue and so do have I ,but once you experience yeti,the Skoda fear can't hold you back. I wouldn't call yeti overpriced( compared to similar priced vehicles) but I too wish it had burned a smaller hole in our pocket and a lot more people could experience (afford) it everyday.

Last edited by milu2fast : 24th July 2013 at 17:06.
Old 24th July 2013, 16:59   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2013 Skoda Yeti Elegance 4x4

Good to see you are making full use of the Yeti, but next time you use hill descent control please keep the car in gear also, and don't let only the brakes be used to control the descent.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 17:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Good to see you are making full use of the Yeti, but next time you use hill descent control please keep the car in gear also, and don't let only the brakes be used to control the descent.
I did use first gear most times as sometimes the speed of descent is scary ( expensive service) but it really would have blown me away if it could also detect terrain better ( I am dreaming again and at the same time trying to find a jinx in yeti's armour)
Old 31st July 2013, 22:31   #34
BHPian

A small update,a couple of days ago Google uncle decided that the shortest way for me was through a football field and without thinking I obliged only to find out it was muddy but looked clean as no vehicle went through that,drove through just like that and felt a bit of sideways moment though very well controlled. When I checked on it saw that you can almost call it slush,it touched the Skoda emblem on the alloys. Anyways another day at the office for my hoodini and its all perfectly normal. Better use of 6th gear is allowing me to touch nearly 15kmpl on every drive. How many more tricks do you have hoodini???
Old 9th August 2013, 19:50   #35
BHPian

Topped up and full tank method efficiency is 12kmpl while the MID showed above 14.5kmpl. Anyways trying to drive it less cautiously and see what happens. Anybody has any idea/opinion about bixenons? I think I will need them in the near future.
Old 9th August 2013, 20:04   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by milu2fast View Post
Topped up and full tank method efficiency is 12kmpl while the MID showed above 14.5kmpl. Anyways trying to drive it less cautiously and see what happens. Anybody has any idea/opinion about bixenons? I think I will need them in the near future.
You can't fit a normal HID kit that you get in the market, because the bulb fused error goes off. I've read that with the vag com cable you need to enable factory xenons, so that the can bus system recognises 35w as the normal current and doesn't give you the bulb warning error. Give me a few weeks I'll let you know the outcome.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 20:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:

You can't fit a normal HID kit that you get in the market, because the bulb fused error goes off. I've read that with the vag com cable you need to enable factory xenons, so that the can bus system recognises 35w as the normal current and doesn't give you the bulb warning error. Give me a few weeks I'll let you know the outcome.
Skoda reply is 60-70k (xenon kit with projectors) for front with all led and corona/ Audi type daylight and 80k ( more for rear???)for rear set to be changed to led,they told me all console will be changed ( not just bulbs). Kochi vegatune ( I think the name is right) quotes 112k. Light are good but with the speeds at night I badly need an upgrade.
Old 9th August 2013, 20:58   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Skoda reply is 60-70k (xenon kit with projectors) for front with all led and corona/ Audi type daylight and 80k ( more for rear???)for rear set to be changed to led,they told me all console will be changed ( not just bulbs). Kochi vegatune ( I think the name is right) quotes 112k. Light are good but with the speeds at night I badly need an upgrade.
What VAG TUNE is quoting is for the OEM Skoda xenons, which will turn with the steering wheel and have auto levelling, etc. That is by far the number 1 option. If you can spend that much, nothing like it.

The next best option is retrofitting projectors and xenons, you can get a good kit from theretrofitsource.com . If done correctly the output of these can be even better than OE xenons and the kit will only cost 25k max.

The third option, is to just fit an HID kit in the normal headlamps. Output will be far better than stock, but not comparable to the above. Then again this will only be like 10k.

I don't know of any aftermarket lights with halos, and leds for the Yeti.
Old 9th August 2013, 21:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:

What VAG TUNE is quoting is for the OEM Skoda xenons, which will turn with the steering wheel and have auto levelling, etc. That is by far the number 1 option. If you can spend that much, nothing like it.

The next best option is retrofitting projectors and xenons, you can get a good kit from theretrofitsource.com . If done correctly the output of these can be even better than OE xenons and the kit will only cost 25k max.

The third option, is to just fit an HID kit in the normal headlamps. Output will be far better than stock, but not comparable to the above. Then again this will only be like 10k.

I don't know of any aftermarket lights with halos, and leds for the Yeti.
Thanks a ton.
Even I haven't heard about it (led ,halo), that's why not convinced with the Skoda explanation. 2 nd options looks best for me but now have to negotiate about not losing warranty and service centre to help me with the same. Didn't understand 'will turn with the steering' part. Actually don't know much about original bixenons (uk l&k model),need to research.
Old 9th August 2013, 21:17   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a ton.
Even I haven't heard about it (led ,halo), that's why not convinced with the Skoda explanation. 2 nd options looks best for me but now have to negotiate about not losing warranty and service centre to help me with the same. Didn't understand 'will turn with the steering' part. Actually don't know much about original bixenons (uk l&k model),need to research.
With the retrofit kit you will get a harness that plugs into your existing wiring, so there will be no cutting of wires. They cannot void warranty for that. Rather they shouldn't.

By turning with the steering I meant - If you steer to the left or the right, the xenons too will turn by a few degrees to the side you turn your steering, therefore illuminating the road into the bend. Neat feature.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 15:45   #41
BHPian

OK next full tank and averaged 11kmpl but drove it the way I always wanted to,a bit of offroading too. Things are looking settled. No issues and finding a better ride with 34psi in tyres. And the tyres make noise even when cornering at barely 100kmph,they fail in grip department too, no wonder we have a thread just for yeti tyres. Cheers and happy driving
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:06   #42
BHPian

Another update. Had taken yeti to a place called ilaveezhapoonchira,hardcore off road. We went past a few hurdles but then decided its not worth testing a >20L car, we manages to scrap the underbelly and smell clutch burn in less than 50mts. The Jeep ride for 3km cost Rs750 and is awesome. Noway a yeti on these tyres will reach there but anyway low ratio and lots of ground clearance are a must here. Anyway ate up my pride and well in the end I think it was a very wise decision. On enquiry they told me fortuners (without side step) and Pajero sport have made the journey but clutch suffers. Its an awesome off road destination for anyone interested in testing their machines.
PS: I think I will buy a jeep soon :-)
milu2fast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:08   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
we manages to scrap the underbelly and smell clutch burn in less than 50mts. The Jeep ride for 3km cost Rs750 and is awesome. Noway a yeti on these tyres will reach there but anyway low ratio and lots of ground clearance are a must here. Anyway ate up my pride and well in the end I think it was a very wise decision. On enquiry they told me fortuners (without side step) and Pajero sport have made the journey but clutch suffers. Its an awesome off road destination for anyone interested in testing their machines.
PS: I think I will buy a jeep soon :-)
Very fair and honest assessment , something rare on the forum these days :-) I have a very similar opinion about my Tucson after the Ladakh trip.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 13:02   #44
BHPian

A little late in the day but nevertheless congratulation on your snowman. Wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles on this car. :-)
For SUV's south of the 2 million bracket(ex-showroom) there aint a better car than this one !!
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 13:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody has any idea/opinion about bixenons? I think I will need them in the near future.
Dear Milu2fast,

DO NOT even think of installing any bixenons the way you do as in normal cars. The HID kit has to be CANBUS enabled/compliant, the BCM module and headlamp control modules have to support bi-xenons and finally, the software has to be coded to enable bixenons. You should also look for a ballast with a built-in controller instead of "error canceller resistors" which can ruin your system.

Indeed Vagtune is an ideal choice as Sukesh knows how the whole thing works and this would be far safer for you. You would be installing the OEM kit imported from Czech.

There are CANBUS error cancelers available online but there are resistors, which may be a short term non-guaranteed solution; so beware.

Finally, you do require projectors with bixenons so as to obtain optimum light for your visibility and for the sake of others.

I am telling the above from my personal experience.

@akshay1234: The headlamps which turns with the steering & auto-levels requires the AFS feature. This features the headlamp unit with projectors that can move horizontally and vertically, AFS control module, wiring harness and sensors on the winshield and suspensions. This is a costly affair as you mentioned, but the best. However, there are CANBUS enabled HID & projector kits you can get for Skoda which works out cheaper or even a third-party headlamp units, which, though not Skoda manufactured will still do good.

Last edited by nitinbose : 5th September 2013 at 13:26.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks