Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 23:00   #1
BHPian

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D

"Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz" - Some one said that a long time back. Now let me re-phrase it, "Oh Lord, won't you buy me a W124".

This is how it all started.

About 5 years back, my friend Sreekanth and I were talking about a common acquaintance's 'newly' bought car. An E-class. His words - "its an old E-class, but looks more majestic than the latest E-class". Later that same day, while passing by a used-car showroom I saw a similar E-class parked there. Out of sheer curiosity, I got off my bike, walked into the showroom and inquired about the car-for-sale. Though the sales guy didn't take me seriously, for I appeared too young to own a used E-class of my own, he didn't mind me checking out the car. For the first time in my life I sat inside a W124 and got a close look at it (that time, I didn't even know it was called a W124). I remember him telling me that this version of E-class is built to be a high-mileage car. An ignorant me thought 'hmm.. a handsome number of km per litre'. I didn't know what a high-mileage car is by its real sense. I went home that day, mightily impressed by the 'old' E-class and for a few weeks from then on, my computer had a W124 as the wallpaper - pictures that I dug up by googling '1995 Mercedes Benz E-class'. Months or weeks later, the W124 was gone from my mind, and so did the wallpaper.

Growing up and getting to know more of cars, I, at one point, developed a thing for the build quality of cars. When I pass by parked cars, it wasn't rare for me tap or knock them and think hmm...thats strong. I firmly believe that growing up with a Fiat Uno played a role in this. The little Uno is built like a tank and build-quality is much much better than most cars (and most modern cars for that matter). Those days I used to look at the Boleros and think that it could do a 0-to-100km into a wall and come through it with bricks flying off, scratchless, but later, after witnessing a few examples of Boleros that had crashed into things even lighter than brick walls I realised it couldn't. So, while my fascination for supremely built cars continued, I came across W124 several times on various forums and one fine evening, I met a W124 once again in flesh. It was an E220 variant which was on display at a Mahindra First Choice showroom. Dark Blue. Gorgeus. It was shining like a diamond. It stood out on its own and caught everyone's eyes. It drove into my mind again, little did I know it was there to stay. I started reading up on W124s, watched videos, followed W124s on my bike whenever I saw one, walked into used-car showrooms whenever I see W124s there (which was rare). The W124 was growing on me. And it was during one of those showroom visits that I finally got a chance to drive a W124 for the first time. It was an E300. Automatic. I don't have a love for automatics, but I loved driving that car and I loved how new it felt even though it was way close to 200k km on its odo. It was then that I decided that, if not a Fiat, my next car would be a W124. And when I buy one, it would be a manual and it would be the simpler E250.

One of my everyday videos:

Last edited by Stratos : 27th July 2013 at 03:43.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 23:13   #2
BHPian

re: The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D

Though the search was always on for the W124, I wasn't able to raise the required funds since unexpected expenses kept coming up. The search became official only about a month ago after I realized and decided that I will have to bank on my dear father's bank account. It did not make any sense to get a car loan given the astronomical interest rates on used car loans, forget that it is almost impossible to even get one for a car that stopped its production in 1997. Couple of chapters from the initial search and finds here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-group-20.html.

A lesson learnt on the course: Whatever information you mug up from the internet or books or driving cars, it can never be paralled to a seasoned mechanic's hands-on knowledge. I almost got this close to buying one I thought is almost faultless (except a faulty power-window) when our Mechanic checked it and showed me a couple of things and I had ridiculously missed to check. Like they say, your head does not work well when mixed with emotions.

"You attract your dominant thoughts"

While discussing the W124 with our mechanic again, it turned out that one of our relatives whom I had met for the last time when I was about ten years old, owns Merc Motors, a renowned workshop in Kochi specialized in servicing Mercedes Benzes. It came as a pleasant surprise to me since it was exactly there where I planned to do the services on my future W124. I told my Dad who quickly agreed to visit and introduce me to him. While my Dad and him exchanged old family stories, I told him of my hunt for the W124. He knew most of the W124s I had checked before. He showed us his workshop swamped with Mercs, both old and new. Among the jam-packed cars where a few W124s which I looked at admiringly. Couple of them had over 3,00,000 km on them, but still looked pristine. I was assured of the reliability of W124s once again. Couple of phone calls were made and in a few minutes he gave me the number of elderly man in Kochi, who has a W124 and is willing to sell. According to our old friend, it is 'one of the most well-maintained W124s (his words) in Kerala. That W124 was not on OLX or on any other classifieds either, this was to be sold only to a W124 fan (thus he said). It was serviced there and he knows the car in and out. The low-mileage on the car 1,24,xxx on the car is genuine. The next day, we went to the house of that elderly man to check the car out. One look, one ride. It was the best of the all the W124s that I had checked till now and I knew that was my car. The owner and his son, both very knowledgeable about Mercs had been treating it with kids gloves. Each and every niggles were fixed by them immediately, which resulted in a car that had all the switches working (I wasn't expecting that). Their selling price was slightly out of the budget, but we couldn't let it go and the deal was made.

Did I mention that the colour is Midnight Blue - the same as our Padmini.

May be the Law of Attraction played its role here? Midnight/Dark/Navy blue was the colour of the W124 that came running into my mind everynight before I go to sleep .

Let the pics do the talking now.

Yesterday, the W124 was brought home while it was drizzling and this pic was clicked.

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-first.jpg

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 26th July 2013 at 23:20.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 23:23   #3
BHPian

She looks like she is in pristine condition! Amazing catch The W124s have aged so beautifully. I was once in the W124 phase, but never found one with interiors in a decent state. Look forward to more pics. Good luck with your ride.
mohandasnikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 23:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful buy. Hearty congratulations.
I always asked one question : Why does W124 have 2 different sized OVRMs?
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 23:33   #5
BHPian

From the side. Longer than an Innova, but the short turning radius should help me through the traffic.

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-side.jpg

Inside:

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-lock.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-lightswich.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-console.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-e250.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-backhalf.jpg

Padmini meets W124.

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-padmerc.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
She looks like she is in pristine condition! Amazing catch The W124s have aged so beautifully. I was once in the W124 phase, but never found one with interiors in a decent state. Look forward to more pics. Good luck with your ride.
Thanks Mohandas. Yes, hard to find one with good interiors. Most of them looks immaculate from outside, but half of the switches inside wouldn't be working. Talk about poor maintenance :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Wonderful buy. Hearty congratulations.
Thanks Hillram.
Same question here. I have no Idea.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.
Attached Thumbnails
The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-passenger.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th July 2013 at 09:11.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 23:46   #6
BHPian

Your car looks great inside out. Nice find. Congratulations and enjoy your new car for a long time. Restore/change those headlights and that should transform the looks.
Old 27th July 2013, 00:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Same question here. I have no Idea.
Have a read : http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...124-201-a.html

Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 00:47   #8
BHPian

@DudeWithaFiat, congrats. The pictures are amazing. The car seems to be in great shape. Searching with patience has finally been very fruitful. Guess the premium you paid is worth every paise.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 02:31   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on the tank! As the owner of a '96 E220 for the last 2 years, I can safely say that this is the best car you can get for your money. Period.

The car seems to be in great shape, and will serve you well for years to come. 124k is close to nothing for these machines! Mine was 140k when I bought her, and still drives like a dream after almost 17 years. No major issues apart from general niggles owing to the age factor.
ayushagarwal26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 09:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

DudeWithaFiat, now you are a Dude-With-Merc..

Congrats on owning the beauty.. This is one car that manages to stir my passion. Amazing build, not at all complicated, and comparatively easy to maintain.

Like some one says, you can have your cake, and eat it too!..

Wish you years of happiness with this beauty.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 09:16   #11
BHPian

Congratulations on your latest acquisition. More importantly, kudos for taking the giant leap from a dreamer to an actual owner of a pristine W124.

The W124 is a highly respected and coveted Mercedes. You are bound to find a lot of admirers of your E250D on Kerala's roads AND team-bhp.

Will this be your daily drive?
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 10:08   #12
BHPian

One more the outside:

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-top.jpg

A few more pics from the inside.

The first-aid box on the rear parcel tray

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-fa.jpg

Its contents. Amazing, it came with a bandage-scissors too with 'made in Germany' stamped on it.

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-w1241.jpg

From the dash:

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-console1.jpg

All of it works.

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-tacho.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-airbag.jpg

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-clock.jpg

Attachment 1117217

Fuel lid:

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-lid.jpg

Talk about space.

The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D-back.jpg

The only 'problems' on the car now. If I may call them so:

1. Tyres will be due for a change in 5 or 6k km.
2. The rear left wheel cup does not look very good. Either I have to get another one, or try re-painting it in the original colour and see how it turns out. I will probably re-paint because I plan to get the original W124 alloys sometime in the near future.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 27th July 2013 at 10:26.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 10:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Thank you. Will read upon it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
Congratulations on the tank! As the owner of a '96 E220 for the last 2 years, I can safely say that this is the best car you can get for your money. Period.

The car seems to be in great shape, and will serve you well for years to come. 124k is close to nothing for these machines! Mine was 140k when I bought her, and still drives like a dream after almost 17 years. No major issues apart from general niggles owing to the age factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
DudeWithaFiat, now you are a Dude-With-Merc..

Congrats on owning the beauty.. This is one car that manages to stir my passion. Amazing build, not at all complicated, and comparatively easy to maintain.

Like some one says, you can have your cake, and eat it too!..

Wish you years of happiness with this beauty.
Thank you both of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Congratulations on your latest acquisition. More importantly, kudos for taking the giant leap from a dreamer to an actual owner of a pristine W124.

The W124 is a highly respected and coveted Mercedes. You are bound to find a lot of admirers of your E250D on Kerala's roads AND team-bhp.

Will this be your daily drive?
Thank you. And yes, this will be my daily drive.
Old 27th July 2013, 11:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
May be the Law of Attraction played its role here? Midnight/Dark/Navy blue was the colour of the W124 that came running into my mind everynight before I go to sleep .
Wonderful catch & heartiest congratulations. You are amongst those few lucky ones whose dream have come true. The Merc workshop owner being one of your acquaintances makes it like icing on the cake. You would never have to worry about its maintenance or spare parts availability. Now if you don't mind answering the question, I would like to ask you how much did you bargain it for?
Old 27th July 2013, 12:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Absolute drool car!!!
Congrats on a great find, the car looks amazing and very very well maintained.
You have got yourself a gem.

Keep the thread updated with the ownership reports.

Most Viewed