Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2013, 12:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D

Many many congratulations!! your love for the car is apparent from the way you have written and described everything , wishing you all the best!!
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 16:10   #17

that's gold you have got my friend.
i am thrown back 10 years to the time i was an intern at Apex Motors Chandigarh, the Merc care center. man i can even feel that new car merc fragrance just seeing the pics of your car.

yup do put in the alloys. sure will add more appeal.
cheers man.

best regards.
Old 27th July 2013, 18:56   #18
BHPian

Amazing find and purchase. I want to get a W124 in my lifetime as well. What kind of engine oil does this car use? Any inputs on how much it would cost to flush and refill the engine oil?

How's the air con?

Thanks and happy-safe driving!
Old 28th July 2013, 07:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Absolute drool car!!!
Congrats on a great find, the car looks amazing and very very well maintained.
You have got yourself a gem.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshjeet singh View Post
that's gold you have got my friend.
i am thrown back 10 years to the time i was an intern at Apex Motors Chandigarh, the Merc care center. man i can even feel that new car merc fragrance just seeing the pics of your car.

yup do put in the alloys. sure will add more appeal.
cheers man.

best regards.
Thanks arshjeet. Yep, will be adding the original W124 alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Amazing find and purchase. I want to get a W124 in my lifetime as well. What kind of engine oil does this car use? Any inputs on how much it would cost to flush and refill the engine oil?

How's the air con?

Thanks and happy-safe driving!
Thank you. The previous owners had been using Mobil 1. I'm not sure about the viscosity specs. The E250 needs almost 7 litres of oil, so that would cost a little over Rs.9000/- for an oil change (including the oil filter I guess).
Old 28th July 2013, 07:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

@DudewithaFiat - Congrats ! That car has CLASS written all over it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
DudeWithaFiat, now you are a Dude-With-Merc..
But one thing that He'll never be able to do is rename his ID
Old 28th July 2013, 13:22   #21
BHPian

Ohhhhhhhhh Man lucky you.
Even I'am an W124 fan from Thrissur,kerala.
Just love that vehicle.
It was the first Merc I ever rode in and it felt Royal back then.
I would like to add one in the next 2 years.
Hope you can share me your contact then!
Old 28th July 2013, 17:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful thread, and am very happy for you! This is the Merc that I remember from my college days and the overgizmoed autos they churn out these days leave me a bit cold to be honest.

What are the engine specs? I did some googling and it seems the E250 diesel of that era has a 111 bhp/ 170 N-m spec. Is that the one you have?

Am sure you have factored out maintenance costs etc. but how do you deal with issues like your boss driving an Indigo when you ride in on this beauty etc?
Old 28th July 2013, 18:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

@DudeWithFiat: For me, the W124 has always been a dream car. I am really glad you are living your dream. Congrats.

PS- Needless to say, she is a beauty and I am sure you will pamper her more than the original owner.

Regards
Old 28th July 2013, 21:53   #24
BHPian

Lucky guy, you got one of the best W124s around!!! I did search for W124 in Kerala for quite long time, and couldn't find many in good condition.

Congrats, and since you have the right people to do the service also, I guess you'll be able to use it for many years and lacs of kilometres. I've heard Mr. Chandran in Merc motors is the best mechanic you can find for W124.

And if you ever consider giving it some make-ups (though not required any time soon), a good idea would be to upgrade the headlights to clear-lens / projector headlamps and AMG wheels. They look really superb with the headlight upgrade. There's another W124 with KL-7 regn which has 5-spoke AMG wheels, and in the same blue colour. It was a real beauty.
Old 28th July 2013, 22:06   #25
BHPian

Beautiful simply beautiful , the previous owner undoubtedly has painstakingly and lovingly maintained the car.Interior seems to be great shape too.Congrats on a great buy.Here's wishing you all the best.

Last edited by abishek2222 : 28th July 2013 at 22:07. Reason: add
abishek2222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 23:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
What are the engine specs? I did some googling and it seems the E250 diesel of that era has a 111 bhp/ 170 N-m spec. Is that the one you have?

Am sure you have factored out maintenance costs etc. but how do you deal with issues like your boss driving an Indigo when you ride in on this beauty etc?
Thanks noopster. And yes thats right, thats the one I have. Here are the balance of the specs http://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-spe...50-Diesel.html

And about the boss, my colleagues has been already started making jokes about it and I'm really gonna have to do something to keep him cool .

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
@DudeWithFiat: For me, the W124 has always been a dream car. I am really glad you are living your dream. Congrats.

PS- Needless to say, she is a beauty and I am sure you will pamper her more than the original owner.

Regards
I'll try my best for that sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Lucky guy, you got one of the best W124s around!!! I did search for W124 in Kerala for quite long time, and couldn't find many in good condition.

Congrats, and since you have the right people to do the service also, I guess you'll be able to use it for many years and lacs of kilometres. I've heard Mr. Chandran in Merc motors is the best mechanic you can find for W124.

And if you ever consider giving it some make-ups (though not required any time soon), a good idea would be to upgrade the headlights to clear-lens / projector headlamps and AMG wheels. They look really superb with the headlight upgrade. There's another W124 with KL-7 regn which has 5-spoke AMG wheels, and in the same blue colour. It was a real beauty.
Thats right Joe, its hard to find one that is maintained very well. A had never thought people can be careless with such a nice car like the W124. Most of the cars I checked looked immaculate from outside, but as soon as you open the door and get inside, your heart will break into a 1000 pieces.

And you know what? That Mr.Chandran is our relative who helped us find this car. It was him who had been servicing this car and the car is vouched for by him .

Yes, the headlights upgrade and alloys are in the pipeline, but not too soon since I had to stretch my budget to get this beauty. But in a few months, the W124 is getting clear lens headlights and alloys.

And that blue coloured W124, is it KL-07.xx.7xx7 ?

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 28th July 2013 at 23:41.
Old 28th July 2013, 23:44   #27
BHPian

Congrats DudeWithaFiat, your car looks absolutely gorgeous.I am also a W124 fan, and dreaming of owning one someday.Since you were behind this model,can you please share some recent prices for a well maintained car, i know its depends on mileage, but atleast give some reference prices in Kerala
Old 29th July 2013, 00:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post

Yes, the headlights upgrade and alloys are in the pipeline, but not too soon since I had to stretch my budget to get this beauty. But in a few months, the W124 is getting clear lens headlights and alloys.

From the owner and driver of more than one 124, well done. It would last for the rest of your life so you could be laid in it at your funeral, providing you maintain it correctly and keep any rust in check!

Keep the car as original as possible and fit OE MB parts wherever possible, its value would increase more with retro-fitment of headlamp wipers and washer rather than Chinese-made projector lenses. The originals work well, especially if clean. But it is yours, so you can do what you like!

The suspension will last longer if you don't fit larger diameter, lower profile tyres. They won't make it go better, anyway, the bumps would just shock everything more. Some people swear by the extra cushioning with 205/65/15s' deeper sidewalls over the standard 195/65/15s (sidewalls which will also be more compliant because of the different tyre to rim width ratio), others find they don't help.

The car is the last Mercedes made to be as good as its engineers could manage - they were real old-school engineers back in the 70s and early 80s when this car was developed, didn't listen to the salesmen when engineering it. Which is why as the years go by, the cars' virtues become ever more apparent.

Enjoy the car! If it has the OM605 engine, the plastic fuel lines to and from the pump have a daft design which allows air in every few years. They're not expensive to buy and fairly easy to fit, well worth doing since air in the fuel is about the only thing which would stop the car from starting - the original two valve/cylinder OM602/3 didn't have this problem.

I'd also recommend dropping the fuel tank pickup at some point, to make sure there isn't an accumulation of muck in the bottom. Not a bad job to do and could save a lot of heartache and bother down the line.

When changing the fuel filter, always fill it to the brim rather than churning the starter motor to prime it. Mercedes workshops had a special air tool to re-prime the fuel lines but filling the filter right up is just as good, you need a steady hand though! Have a cloth ready to wipe any spills off the auxiliary drivebelt straight away.

Change the engine oil regularly, every 8000km I would suggest. Although the main engine bits survive old oil reasonably well, the timing chains and tensioners like clean oil, as do the hydraulic tappets and the injector pump. Replacing things is so much more expensive than changing the oil a little more frequently than if you were intending scrapping a car after a few years and 200,000 km. 1,000,000 km is quite possible for this engine with nothing more than regular oil and filter changes (remember air and fuel filter changes are as important as oil filter changes for the longevity of the engine) and maybe a injector pump vacuum cut off part.

Have the injectors checked and rebuilt if necessary with German-made internals, this isn't an expensive job and will improve the engine's economy and performance no end. Glow plugs can seize in on the later engines, they are the modern small ones and will easily snap off if stuck, so replace them and use a small amount of copper grease on the threads.

Don't forget to change the differential oil, it's easy to overlook!

Last edited by FlatOut : 29th July 2013 at 00:34.
FlatOut is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 09:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post

And you know what? That Mr.Chandran is our relative who helped us find this car. It was him who had been servicing this car and the car is vouched for by him .
Great to know that you have the right mechanic at your reach. That would be the last thing your 124 needs to live happy for ever!!

The blue W124 with AMG wheels was in Kollam, and it is KL-07-x-x999. I had the photos with me, but need to search old archives to find. Will post if can find some pics.
Old 29th July 2013, 10:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations for owning a piece of royalty!

Looks majestic and stately in that shade of blue. Hopefully, it comes along with available and affordable maintenance.

Drive safe.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed