Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 12:35   #1
BHPian

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!

Let me start with the usual disclaimer:- This is my first review! I am not knowledgeable on cars! I am not a technical person! Blah Blah!

Now that we are done with usual formalities, let me tell you the story of my ecosport love affair! I came from a family of car fanatics. To us the car we drive tells who we are & where we stand in life to the world. My family says, however big your house is, how much ever money you have in your bank account, you cannot carry it with you everywhere you go. It’s the clothes you wear & cars you drive which make people judge what you have achieved in life, your personality, taste & where you stand in the pecking order. My father in law who is a lawyer says “When he goes in his E-series, no one disputes his legal fees even if he charges a premium but when he goes in i20, people start negotiating”. That’s the power of the vehicle we drive & we all swear by it.

So back to the main story, my love affair with the Ecosport started quite recently! I did not like the pictures of what I saw of the auto expo (Jan 2012) at all! Thought it looked too small & flashy.

The Flash back (mosquito coils rotating): I was driving my White Swift Petrol VXI 2008 model & I loved her. It was officially my first love affair (the past cars being family cars which I did not buy with my money – so you can call them as arranged marriage ). The power, the ride, the looks – I just simply loved the car & it was a favorite at home too. My drivers called it the modern day ambassador (Their bench mark in comfort & practically) & it was always in demand by everyone (this in a joint family which had a variety of cars from the Skoda Superb, Innova, i20, Santro). Anyway it was nearing 4 years & so I had to sell it last year with a heavy heart without having an alternate ride in mind.

I started using the Santro (The top end model which basically means it has body colored bumpers & front power windows) temporarily till I get my next ride. Don’t get me wrong, the santro is like a house wife – homely, dependable, easy to use & behaved quite well. Yet she didn’t have the looks, spunk & attitude I wanted. So I looked at many cars over the last year & I have listed only the few which were high on my list.
My choices were
1) Renault Duster
2) Polo
3) XUV

I loved the XUV for its looks but it was way above my budget & I didn’t want to go bankrupt! So took 3 test drives but decided against it.

The Polo/Vento was always there but never quite there. The showroom is right across my office & so I have gone there multiple times. It had solid build quality. Looks like a million bucks. Feature loaded. Yet I thought it was too pricey, sits quite low & I also was looking for a killer deal which never happened. The GTI once again made me consider since we have the 1.8 TSI +DSG at home but somehow it didn’t feel right. Could be because I am 6’1 & needed a car where I could get in & get out comfortably which the Polo could not offer.

When the Duster was released, I was disappointed with the prices, yet I still went to take a look. I fell for its butch looks and booked the Base petrol version. I didn’t like the build quality, interiors & rear space but I booked it on impulse (Puppy love – the things it makes you do). The next day took my wife who dismissed it immediately saying she didn’t like it cos it was too expensive, interiors were worse than swift & it was too big. Somehow I felt she was right & by then my initial puppy love had worn off, so I cancelled it immediately.

So I was back to where I started, so I started looking at Polo again & by then I also slowly started leaning towards the ecosport from all the reviews (Autocar reviewed it first in brazil & they were impressed). However I still wanted to look at the ecosport in flesh. A pathetic failed attempt at the ford Discoveries contest also happened. I have driven the new fiesta and was impressed. If only the car has better rear legroom and a better rear side, I would have bought that. Since this was on the same platform, I was quite sure it would be engaging to drive & all media reports kept reinforcing the belief.

I kept visiting the MPL showroom in Chennai & became friends with one of the SA called gokul. He was very knowledgeable, friendly & had a fair idea about the car. He started keeping me posted and assured me he will ensure I get to prebook the ecosport. I believed him completely and till date I am thankful he became my SA. I wish dealers hired more people like him. So after a frustratingly long wait which I am sure many members would remember, the details started tricking it slowly. I was more & more sure it’s going to be the Ford ecosport. I finally got to see it in flesh when it was displayed in EA mall & fell in love. My mind was made up now.

So when rumors started floating that ford would start taking pre-bookings soon, I gave my cheque (with no date) to my SA stating I wanted to book the Ford Ecosport AT 1.5 Petrol version since it was fully loaded & had all features. From here on started the roller coaster ride.

When prices were announced & I almost fell off the chair. Ford had pulled a rabbit out of the hat! I was eager to be one of the first to drive the ford Ecosport. I started pestering my SA who soon told me AT is going to take much more time & he kind of indicated a 4-5 months wait which I was not willing to do anymore. I shifted from the AT to 1.5 Petrol Trend (I have always been a petrol head). Again got to know it could take a long time. Now I was totally angry & sent mails to Ford top management on their attitude of announcing prices when they were not ready to get produce these versions. The GM of MPL called & he was again very helpful like Gokul. However I realized he could not get the variants I wanted. The dealership experience which has been so good which made me lose some steam & meanwhile I started seeing people take deliveries of the car in team BHP. My initial euphoria was gone. Besides my new house was getting constructed & it would be ready by end of this year. I decided to wait till then since in my current house the ford would have had to stand in the road only.

Now came the Twist I least expected. I was enjoying my life in a corporate office & suddenly I was forced to think of becoming an entrepreneur & quit my cushy corporate job. This meant I had to travel across the city. This meant for next one year I didn’t might not have my steady income (may be no income too). I am upgrading from my Santro (a new one at that). I might now start driving more than earlier & diesel would be better. One of my friends further confused me stating Ford petrol engines give very poor re-salve value and the mileage would be pathetic. I researched and realized that is the perception across the market. I had TD the Ecoboost earlier but I again TD the diesel. It felt better than the ecoboost to me.

What I liked in the ecosport
- Small, compact enough to be parked in office but yet looked big
- Nice commanding view of the road
- Smart interiors and loaded with features (even my base version)
- Gorgeous & stunning
- Decent ride (didn’t like the thud noise made by potholes)
- For a 4m car, decent leg room
- Amazing music system and electric ORVM
- Tilt and telescopic steering even in base version
- Diesel version felt much better than Ecoboost in the city

Now comes the part where I am sure most team BHPians would disagree with me. I had to decide on the variant again based on my current situation. My requirements have now changed drastically

1) Value for money – needed to keep my EMI as low as possible since I might not have a steady income soon. In fact I should have cancelled the booking. I just could not since I was tempted.
2) I wanted Diesel engine since I could end up travelling more. So far have been lucky since my office has not been more 3 KM from home & its always been a petrol till now. Not anymore. Signnn.
3) Still wanted to feel like an upgrade from my current Santro without spending a bomb

So after looking at the variants carefully (I think I can now tell the differences better than the ford sales executives), I finally decided to book the ambient version of 1.5 Diesel version.

What I wanted desperately but I am going to miss by not buying Trend/Titanium version
1) Airbags – I had decided that my next car would have airbags but current circumstances meant I could not. Also my wife & 2 year old son travel in the front seats & I believe it’s not safe for my son if by any chance the airbag deploys since it could do more harm than good. I always anyway drive very sedately but after my son has come I have become even more careful & slow. Tried making him sit behind but he just refuses.
2) ABS – my cars have never had ABS (Santro /Swift/i20) & I have never missed them so far. Nonetheless I understand this car is heavier and it would have been great if I could have it. However didn’t want to pay 1.2 lakhs for ABS alone (difference between Trend & Ambient version). Trying to get it done by ford later if possible. Fingers crossed.
3) Steering mounted controls / Height adjust would have been nice to have features but again didn’t think I would ever use them. Again not worth the extra money. Other features like rear wiper/wash anyway useless considering the poor rear visibility in the ford eco-sport.

What I am getting in the Ambient version
1) This is only going to be self driven in the city with no other passengers 95% of the time
2) Front power windows were enough – anyway no one rolls down the rear windows nowadays
3) It has music system with USB/Bluetooth/AUX – I don’t need sync. I cannot imagine speaking to a car hoping it understands me when my wife after so many years still does not understand me!
4) Electric powered ORVM
5) Tried & tested diesel engine
6) I get a black grill instead of chrome (I know everyone likes chrome but I hate them)
7) I get steel wheels & so I can replace them with good alloys. I love alloy wheels & don’t like to keep the OEM alloys since it makes it look like every other eco-sport on the road (and we know there’s going to be many). I particularly don’t like the OEM alloys (Ouch! I know lot of members like them but then this is my personal choice & I just don’t like them)
8) Compared to a Santro which I drive now, it is definitely more solid, frugal (diesel), has more features, more power, better driving dynamics & finally it is still more safer.

So I know this above section is going to get a lot of member disagreements! START MUSIC

Now I was again told the Ambient version might never get produced (So ford will never produce the AT version, 1.5 Petrol versions & now even the base diesel version?). Anyway I had completely lost interest now & thought I will wait till my new house gets done and then I will take this up again. End of story! Or so I thought!

Out of the blue I suddenly get a call from the GM (he has been following up for me! Wow!) telling me “we have a Chill Metallic Diesel ambient version. Would you like that?” I was very sure I would only take the Silver version whenever it comes & since I was expecting a huge 3 months wait, it was not even in my mind. I utilized the money I had saved for something else and this was an unexpected call. My family had told me to hold on till we move into the new house. Now started the battle.

Battle of the Head Vs the Heart

Head: Say no! It’s not your choice of color! You don’t have money at the moment! Are you sure you want ambient? If you quit soon & who will pay the EMI?
Heart: What is wrong with you? Only few cars delivered in Chennai still and you are in the next slot! The Chill also looks quite good! Money can be managed somehow! Imagine driving to office in the eco-sport & people looking at your car in every signal! This could be my first ownership thread in team BHP too!
Head: First thread? You will anyway get beaten for buying the base version! What kick do you get in getting kicked?
Heart: Any Publicity is good publicity! I will become famous in team BHP for few hours at least! I am getting the Chill metallic Ecosport 1.5D Ambient model. Period.
Head: I wonder if I will ever win a battle against you.
Heart: Take a “CHILL PILL”

So I immediately got my loans processed from SBI who gave me a good deal along with easy part payment/foreclosure norms. There was another delay of one week due to getting special number which I initially decided against since I didn’t have the budget for it (I am not going to explain this story since I feel this has become a long story already and no one would be frankly be interested). However I finally got the special number at the normal cost (XX-XX-XX-100). All our cars have mirror numbers (7997 / 8778 etc) but mine is the first 3 digit number. No one in the family still knew about the car. It was going to be a surprise (or a rude shock) to them.

I went to get delivery of the car on 31 July 2013. They were clearing the Car when i got there. I checked the car armed with team BHP PDC. Everything in order. I got the car keys with document holder, air freshener & keychain. I gave small gifts to the SA, Car registration Head & the GM of MPL ford for they have been instrumental in getting this car for me so soon. I took the car out after the puja & doing my first off roading (riding over 4 lemons). 2 guys knocked my windows at signal asking when I booked it since they have been told a waiting period of 10 months. So many people were turning to look at my new ride. One of them said the Chill metallic color was superb and better than Silver (I still beg to differ since I still think silver is better). Felt good! Ahh the pleasure of driving a new car ahead of others. I guess it won’t last long looking at the amount of bookings though.

The accessories I added with ford are
1) Roof Rails - This is a must for ecosport. Looks dull without it.
2) fog-lamps - Again a signature of ecosport
3) Rear sensors - needed considering the lack of visibility
4) Neck rest - Not good, needs more cushioning. Should have bought outside

I got the rear camera added outside. It has been fitted in the space where Ford has the bigger MID in the titanium versions. The view is not too good and I think some more adjustment is needed. Not so happy with this so far. Cost 9k (Neotek)

The alloy wheels and tire upgrade was another confusion. When I saw the car before it went for registration next to a titanium version, I felt the tires didn’t do justice to her. I had already stretched my budget & didn’t want to spend anymore. Again heart Vs Head & we know what happens.

I upgraded the size in Good Year’s assurance from 195/65/R15 to 205/60/R16. I wanted to change to Michelin or continentals, but it would have cost another 15k & based on feedback from many teamBHP’ians like Nikhil, Simple_Car, Ultimatechamp, Swami.n etc i stuck with Good year Assurance only. I spent 12K for tire upgrade (with exchange of my current good year) & 30K for the AVA alloys (check out the red wheel nuts, I love it) . My initial allocation was only 16K but thanks to the power vested in us by the banks (credit cards), I went berserk. I just love AVA alloys & to me it seems to have lifted the looks of the Ecosport to the next level. I got this at Majestic tyre Center (Egmore Chennai) & the owner Anil is an excellent guy.

Pending accessories to be done once Vitamin M improves
1) Black roof to match the overall theme (Black grill, cladding, ORVM)
2) HID or white light in the headlights
3) ABS & height adjust option if possible (I should have booked the Trend I know)
4) Change the dull black steering wheel if possible. The silver inserts look good in Trend/Titanium version

Initial reactions
1) Ride is superb – much better than the TD – Only big potholes thud through – could be because of the tyres too.
2) Power is excellent for city drive – Tempting me to push it harder but so far I am controlling myself
3) Blue tooth connectivity is excellent – I always hate stopping the car to take calls – Not anymore
4) Music system is just out of the world – No need to add anything more
5) AC is excellent – Chills faster than the Innova & superb at home
6) Medium height people don’t like the high dashboard – Its ok for me cos I am 6’1
7) Seats are not comfortable for most folks since its narrow – need to do something about it.
8) Central locking is there but doors can be opened from inside – worrying since my son is 2 years old and quite a brat. Child locks only available in the rear seats. We have been unsuccessfully trying to keep him at rear so far. Will have to try harder now.
9) Too early to talk about FE – will keep everyone posted- The dealer gave me the car with a full tank of Diesel. MID shows a real time line graph on FE (0 to 30 KM/L) which should help us drive it efficiently. Something I seriously need.
10) Love the black theme in my car - Cladding, front grill, Roof rails, Door handles - The only think i feel good about the ambient version.

Finally after a roller coaster ride, here are the much awaited pictures of my second love affair! Let me now stop babbling and let the pictured do the talking.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd August 2013 at 15:04. Reason: ONLY 2 smileys per post. Please read the rules of the forum before proceeding.
urajkumar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 13:00   #2
BHPian

re: My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!

Here you go! I have not added any explanation so that i dont repeat myself!

Feel free to ask anything!
Attached Thumbnails
My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0367.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0369.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0371.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0372.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0373.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0374.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0375.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0376.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0377.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0379.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0380.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0381.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0382.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0383.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0384.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0388.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0389.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0390.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0391.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0392.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0393.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0394.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0395.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0397.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0398.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0399.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0402.jpg  

My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!-dsc_0403.jpg  

urajkumar is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 02:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: My Chill Pill – Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel (Ambient Variant). UPDATE - Now Sold!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 03:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Here you go! I have not added any explanation so that i dont repeat myself!

Hey urajkumar,

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on your new ride
Welcome to the club.
Nice looking alloys, looks like you have added the fog lamps too.

You can ask me anything about accessories, I have added quite a few things on my initial ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...d-india-3.html

Last edited by ecosport rules : 2nd August 2013 at 03:18.
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 06:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the ecosport - interesting perspectives about cars inthere

Quote:
1) Airbags – I had decided that my next car would have airbags but current circumstances meant I could not. Also my wife & 2 year old son travel in the front seats & I believe it’s not safe for my son if by any chance the airbag deploys since it could do more harm than good. I always anyway drive very sedately but after my son has come I have become even more careful & slow. Tried making him sit behind but he just refuses.
Hope you realize that doing this is setting up for a high risk accident to happen the day your luck turns its back on you.

Kids are kids - we as parents should be more firm / disciplined with them.

You may consider seating him in the car seat in front while your wife sits in the rear - or both of them in the rear, belted down.

The reason is that impact speeds depend not just on your speed but the relative speed of the oncoming vehicle. Why leave your family's safety to chance? Sorry for the unwanted advice but I fervently hate this habit ofparents to take their kids with them in their lap.
phamilyman is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 07:03   #6
BHPian

Congrats on the Ecosport!

Chill Metalic looks quite nice on it!

For some reason, I feel the 15" wheels look better than the 16" wheels. Gives a nice low slung look. Missing the point of having an 'SUV' but still.

Hope you have many awesome miles in it, and keep updating this thread!
Old 2nd August 2013, 07:34   #7
BHPian

congrats bro on your new possession.
Even i have booked 1.5d ambiente white and waiting delivery soon.
I am shocked not to see even tachometer on the ambiente trim.
By changing the tyre and rim size on ambiente variant, i think your car' warranty is void. Pls confirm and prove me wrong because even i am contemplating for tyre upsize on stock rim. Pls confirm.
And make a point, never let children to sit in front seat.
Wishing you and your family many happy and safe miles in your car.
Old 2nd August 2013, 08:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

@urajkumar

Heartiest congratulations on the Chill Pill.

Quote:
I cannot imagine speaking to a car hoping it understands me when my wife after so many years still does not understand me
Be careful with words and hope your wife doesn read this review.

IMO the USB stands out like sore thumb on the HU, Surely Ford could have thought of an alternate location. Have you got the cover for the spare alloy, the alloys must tell you are a looker. Where's the rear camera located? The car does have a great road presence and turns a lot many heads than usual.

You should have gone for the variant with ABS frankly speaking. As phamilyman said the discipline should be enforced when it comes to asking the children to seat at the back.

Enjoy the car, happy mile crunching and drive safely.
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Heartiest congratulations! Happy and safe journey.

Ford has separated the various versions very smartly. You may have your reasons but for 1.2 lacs what you get is mouthwatering.
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
IMO the USB stands out like sore thumb on the HU
Congratulations. Happy & Safe Driving.

+1 @ ghodlur on USB position in HU. Why don't you try sticks small in size?

Link : http://www.flipkart.com/sandisk-cruz...e-424ce0680a35
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nice and tight in the silver shade. Congratulations.

Those alloys look fantastic too.

What's that slim white box on the glovebox in the second last pic?
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:28   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! The ride looks great with those alloys.

Sad to see no tacho! Wonder how much Ford saved there. How is the sound quality from stock HU and speakers?

EDIT: Too busy scrolling the pics! Saw that you already answered it! BTW, how many speakers are there, 4?

Last edited by Dry Ice : 2nd August 2013 at 10:35.
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:30   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your ride. Excellent alloys and suits well. Waiting for your experience.

PS - I have one suggestion though. Please place the air freshener elsewhere. Spoiling the look.
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Uraj Congrats buddy, Welcome to the Ford family!

The chill looks good inn flesh and alloys add to that!
I think with your requirements you have made a right choice.
Drive safe with your family

Just to ask you few things

1. Where did you get the roof rails from?
2. The reverse parking sensors with camera
How difficult is the dashboard integration and to fit the unit?
Is the fit perfect?

And what was the cost of rails??

Last edited by johannskaria : 2nd August 2013 at 12:36.
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:46   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on your buy !! Here's wishing you thousands of safe and happy miles with this car.
Also please update the thread for the benefit of all the readers.

Cheers

Most Viewed