Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 00:28   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TSI: The Might of White. Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
Congratulations Pilot77in on joining the exclusive club of GT owners. I have observed the very same sound in my GT as well and i'm sure its nothing abnormal as Mobike clarified in his post. The difficulty that you feel in letting go of the car once you have reached your destination is a feeling that i share too. Good to hear that you are already at 300+ km. My GT is a little more than 2 months old and its still stuck at 417 km. But then again that is a lot for me as i usually only average less than a 100 km a month. However the GT makes me wanna drive as i cant get enough of it.
Thanks chase_nt, I had a feeling the sound is something normal.I have now crossed 500 Kms and will add to that number fast given I am using it as a daily commute to/fro office.I don't look forward to weekends these days unless it involves long drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats for the GT. Why is everybody going for the white color only?
FE is disappointing, considering its only a 1.2. Hope it improves with more miles. How have been the engine oil consumption figures?
I thought the white colour contrasts well with the black grill, side beams etc and besides I already have a red and black so thought will try a new colour which looks good too.FE is getting better, with 500 Kms logged so far, the MID hovers around 11.5-12.3 Km/l in peak Blr traffic with the AC on at all times. Also, while I started driving sedately, I no longer am as the car is simply not meant to be driven sedately. Despite, I feel the FE looks promising given early days still. I also get the feeling that the MID is underestimating the economy as fill to fill I think I get more than what the MID would make me believe.
Have no clue yet as to the engine oil consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Congratulations!

Please let me know how good the brakes are - for the power you have on hand.
If you've driven an XUV500, you'll find the brakes of this Polo comparable in feel and perhaps better.On the other hand, if you've driven an Ecosport, you'll feel the Polo's brakes leave much to be desired. I have found them adequate for most driving situations so far.I think more than the brake, one needs to adjust to the agile behavior of the car where it eats up distances faster than what one is accustomed to expect from cars of this size.

Is this engine Turbo + Inter-cooler, or just Turbo-Petrol?
I see Robimahanta has already answered.Thanks Robi.

DSG's do not drain power. IMO, you should get above 10 kmpl in city. Please keep updating!
With 500Kms driven, MID hovers between 11.5-12.3 Km/l.It has progressively improved.I'll expect it to improve more as I log Kms.

I wonder if VW would launch Polo with 1.5 Tdi + DSG...
1.2 TSI's pricing itself has had folks asking many questions, I wonder how many takers VW will have for a hatch far more expensive and which they may make it look like any other Polo, again!

Note From T-BHP Support: Please use QUOTE / +QUOTE functions instead of creating back-to-back posts. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th August 2013 at 01:13.
Pilot77in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 08:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Automatics are the way forward and I am glad to see more folks buying cars with a modern automatic gearbox. In the case of the GT, you get a fast shifting automatic mated to what I consider is the most refined engine in the segment. You get the convenience of an automatic and when you are in Italian Job mode, boy does the GT thrill. The pairing can't get any better. Two clutches, the next gear which is always on stand by and an eager engine. All you need to do is figure out how much to bury the throttle.

I don't look at the GT for just the power it offers. Everything about this car is brilliant. Except for the intruding horn tone inside the cabin, it is very quiet inside. Overall refinement is leagues ahead of its direct competitors. This makes a world of a difference when you spend a considerable amount of time in a car.

Excellent choice for your new car. Your XUV is going to be on vacation from now on.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 10:10   #18
BHPian

Inevitable question:

When is VW coming out with a Polo 1.2 TSI manual? Naturally this would then give better FE, maybe 13-14 kmpl.. with good power & good for those who are not so keen on an auto.

Plus, people like me who like to keep their car forever :/ (still hv my 15 yr old Fiat Uno) wont want their DSG to have a major overhaul at say 80-90k kms.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Inevitable question:

When is VW coming out with a Polo 1.2 TSI manual? Naturally this would then give better FE, maybe 13-14 kmpl.. with good power & good for those who are not so keen on an auto.

Plus, people like me who like to keep their car forever :/ (still hv my 15 yr old Fiat Uno) wont want their DSG to have a major overhaul at say 80-90k kms.
I am not too sure on the better FE part. Many new autoboxes, especially dry clutch ones, return better FE than the stick shift variants.

Having total control over your gearshifts with a stick shifter - absolutely no questions.

Maintainability - maybe there's still a question mark.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 10:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When is VW coming out with a Polo 1.2 TSI manual? Naturally this would then give better FE, maybe 13-14 kmpl.

Plus, people like me who like to keep their car forever wont want their DSG to have a major overhaul at say 80-90k kms.
For once, close your eyes to any reliability concerns and get the GT in the current spec. Trust me, a manual in no way will be faster than the twin clutch auto box. It will take a good driver to be able to beat the DSG in Sport mode. Personally; I am done with a manual box. My next car has to feature a fast shifting twin clutch gearbox mated to a spirited engine.

Even on efficiency, I doubt if a manual box variant will be better than a DSG equipped car. Do you think a gain of 1-1.5kmpl out weighs the convenience of a automatic? I think not.
Old 16th August 2013, 13:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
For once, close your eyes to any reliability concerns and get the GT in the current spec.

Even on efficiency, I doubt if a manual box variant will be better than a DSG equipped car. Do you think a gain of 1-1.5kmpl out weighs the convenience of a automatic? I think not.
- If GT fails after warranty & needs repair/replacement.. I think that is a straight lakh.

- I am running a Fiat Uno petrol that is just superb in power-weight ratio & guzzles at 9-10 kmpl ) but superb engine & acceleration. So i prefer power, acceleration, reliability.. then fuel economy.
Old 16th August 2013, 13:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- If GT fails after warranty & needs repair/replacement.. I think that is a straight lakh.
Should be a lot more. Like I said earlier; let us try and be positive about this.

Quote:
I am running a Fiat Uno petrol that is just superb in power-weight ratio & guzzles at 9-10 kmpl but superb engine & acceleration. So i prefer power, acceleration, reliability.. then fuel economy.
I've driven a Uno. Even for its day, I felt it could have done with a lot more power as it has a brilliant chassis. As an engine it was excellent. Quiet and very refined. I won't call it a power house. Fiat India have not quite understood what power to weight ratio means. After 13 years in the market, you still get a camel slow 1.2l, 68bhp in a car that weighs over a ton.

From an Uno to a GT, boy are you in for something.
Old 16th August 2013, 16:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I am not too sure on the better FE part. Many new autoboxes, especially dry clutch ones, return better FE than the stick shift variants.
DSG's are better even wrt FE!

Quote:
Having total control over your gearshifts with a stick shifter - absolutely no questions.
DSG + Paddle shift (Like Robi's upgrade) = Any day equal / better than a Manual Stick.

Quote:
Maintainability - maybe there's still a question mark.
The kind of fun it offers + 3 or 4 years warranty ---> maintenance cost of a lakh (if it fails after warranty) is still OK.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 18:17   #24
BHPian

Congrats on ur new ride Pilot 77. I have the same car as u :-)

This info is for all those people who are thinking of getting the GT but still have not made up their minds.....please go and take a test drive and you will forget about the high cost of the car, high maintenance, petrol costs, etc etc.....this is a car for serious petrol heads.
Nothing in this segment comes close to the GT.
ironager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 18:17   #25

Congrats on the White GT TSI. Just before coming across BHP and reading these threads I had booked my own pocket rocket in white color. At the time of booking in early August they had given me a waiting of 3 months but suggested that they will try to arrange delivery within the month.

That commitment however didn't last very long and soon enough they were suggesting that they will "try" to arrange delivery by next month or so. Having read through the relevant threads on BHP, while my excitement grew multiple folds, it also dawned on me that the actual waiting might be much longer. And given all the positive feedback and lured by the mods of Robi, i of course got too impatient to wait that long.

I started calling the team leader almost 3-4 times a week and even offered to pay entire amount in full to get the car right away. After 3 weeks of followup, finally, he called me back yesterday to inform that they will arrange the car in this coming week. Today, he has confirmed the same informing that the car has been allotted to the dealership and will be shipping out to me on Monday and will arrive by the end of the week.

I can barely hold my excitement and am soooooo looking forward to it!!!!! I knew I had nothing to lose in following up tooooo often and now it's a great example that being persistent pays.

I hope the delivery comes thru as promised and that other "eagerly waiting buyers" could make it happen for themselves too ...
kamson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 12:40   #26
BHPian

FE Update-Its a 1000+ Kms now since delivery, and I have had the car on steroids for the last 250 odd Kms flooring the throttle or driving the S mode when I get the chance to, with me + 1 passenger and AC on at all times.I am getting between 10.7 to 11.5 Km/l.
Also, a word of caution to those thinking of the GT as an additional car, the car is addictive and will make your other car/s redundant.I drove the XUV after a while and I felt the vehicle 4 times heavier and 4 times more cumbersome to drive in the city.So the GT may not be VFM after all if it is to nullify the oportunity to obtain returns on the investment made in the first vehicle!
Pilot77in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 01:10   #27
BHPian

Congrats on the car. Its an excellent little toy. Piece of advice, change the tires now, so u get some moolah for exchange. The stock ones are absolute crap. Get some in 205 or 195 sizing with sticky rubber and u'd be surprised as to how sweet this car can handle.
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 14:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations for your GT TSI.
It is indeed the hottest hatch in the market today.
It is good to see that you're already enjoying your drive in the car.
Wish you many more happy miles with the car and drive safe.
Old 27th August 2013, 21:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Congrats on the car. Its an excellent little toy. Piece of advice, change the tires now, so u get some moolah for exchange. The stock ones are absolute crap. Get some in 205 or 195 sizing with sticky rubber and u'd be surprised as to how sweet this car can handle.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if upgrading the rubber will make the steering feel heavy, which I don't want it to.I just love the light steering.When I drove another GT at the VW workshop with what looked like a tyre upgrade, I didn't seem to like the feel much.Made the car feel heavy. So I am a little wary.
Old 27th August 2013, 22:33   #30
BHPian

In China, VW Polo has increased the warranty on the DSGs to 10 yrs just to assuage anxious owners...

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/fa...ope-46766.html

Wish this were possible in India!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks