Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 18:40   #31
BHPian

Re: Review: Ford Ecosport EcoBoost 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Dislikes:

Not a great gear box.
Gear ratios could have been better, requires too much downshifting.
Congrats on the ecosport !

The gear box on the ecoboost isn't great and the diesel has a better drivability in the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
[*] The EcoSport petrols, especially the EcoBoost is real value-for-money, whereas the diesel is a poor VFM proposition.[*] We test drove the EcoSport 1.5 TDCi. That engine really feels lethargic when compared to the EcoBoost. Frankly, I feel the 1.3MJD is a far better engine and fun to drive when compared to the 1.5. The MJD is way more free revving too. But the 1.5 has amazing in-city driveability and tractability.[/list]
A better fuel economy on the highways (at lower cost) and a far better city drivability makes it more VFM than ecoboost in my opinion. Moreover the gearbox on the diesel is far better than the one in ecoboost.

Where as the kick of the turbo is concerned , 1.5 TDCi delivers linear torque which many prefer over peaky engines. So its a matter of personal preference I guess.
niks_devil666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 23:13   #32
BHPian

Nice review, penpavan
If the EcoBoost Engine returns 12 kms in city, can we assume that the figure would be 16-17 km on highways...?
Old 9th August 2013, 00:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Variant-to-variant, the 1.5TDCi costs a Lac more than the EcoBoost. Ecoboost is a much newer engine, Engine of the Year 2012, the technology that has gone into it, the R&D costs etc. On the other hand, the 1.5TDCi has been around for a while now. Both engines get excise cuts. Considering all these facts, TDCi should be priced on par with the EcoBoost (or slightly more expensive).

The diesel is not free revving and isn't fun to drive. The engine really complains when you push it beyond 2.5K rpm. Like I said earlier, the 1.3MJD is my yardstick for comparison. Refinement levels are higher on the MJD as well. I do not feel 15 more horses on this engine when compared to the MJD either (I have not tested at higher speeds) . The turbo kick is almost absent. Having said that, the 1.5 has superb in-city drivability (which I've mentioned earlier).
I'd like to look at this comparo in a slightly different way

Don't you think you're comparing a well run-in MJD (presume its your Ritz) to a brand new,probably abused 1.5 Tdci ? Don't you think a TD car always feels more gruff and a little hesitant to revv in comparison to a new car

I also felt the diesel was really bad and underpowered until I as able to drive it on relatively free roads than in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The reason why you don't feel the additional horses is because of the linear power delivery. It doesn't have any lag so to speak off unlike the MJD, what you get is a very linear torque curve. Don't agree with me ? Please drive the Verna D and Vento D back to back

I drove the Ecoboost and I agree the mid-range and top-end is better than the diesel, but where it suffers is the low-end,making city drives a rather painful affair.

The diesel vs Ecoboost debate can also be looked at in a different way right ? The Ecoboost is a new engine and Ecosport is a totally new car, i'd like to have atleast one to be tried and tested,hence went the diesel way. A little conservative,less risky approach if you may. Not disagreeing with you,but just a different view

Last edited by shashank.nk : 9th August 2013 at 00:16.
Old 9th August 2013, 00:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinesh View Post

I have a question to you and other proud owners as well.
I believe Ecosport comes with tinted glass. Do you have any comments/feedback on it. Does it serve the purpose to some extent of that of a sunfilm?

Regards
Dinesh
My ecosport Tit (0) came with tinted glass(I am not sure about other varients), you can clearly see the difference on a white background wall.
IMO it is around 30% effective in comparision to a regular glass.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 13:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
My ecosport Tit (0) came with tinted glass(I am not sure about other varients), you can clearly see the difference on a white background wall.
IMO it is around 30% effective in comparision to a regular glass.
I don't think there is any difference between variants for tinted glass. Another point however: I notice that when I am driving alone, the and if I roll up the windows without turning on the A/C, the breath condensation and suffocation starts very soon compared to my I10.
I think this is because Ford have tried too hard to make the cabin very silent (which has worked actually) but as a consequence might have closed all possible ventilation pores/gaps.
Just a thought.
penpavan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 16:30   #36
BHPian

hey penpavan,

I would request you to please share information of any aftermarket accessories (not the official ford ones) you have installed in the following thread too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ble-india.html

Disclaimer :- Mods this is not a promotion post. Rather a request to share information for the overall benefit of fellow members.
You can edit it if found inappropriate!

Last edited by johannskaria : 10th August 2013 at 16:31.
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 00:09   #37
BHPian

Hi penpavan,

Many congratulations on owning this beast of a car. Hope you are very happy with it. I see that you are from Bangalore, and I'm just curious, where are those wilderness pics taken? i.e., the pictures where lot of thin trees stand in the immediate background of the car? Looks like an awesome place for photoshoot
Old 13th August 2013, 01:01   #38
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

When in the intro posts you mentioned that the Eye Glasses keep falling off you meant - after closing the compartment that it keeps opening on it's own. I presume that after you place the glasses you do close the lid?
Old 13th August 2013, 06:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
Hi penpavan,

Many congratulations on owning this beast of a car. Hope you are very happy with it. I see that you are from Bangalore, and I'm just curious, where are those wilderness pics taken? i.e., the pictures where lot of thin trees stand in the immediate background of the car? Looks like an awesome place for photoshoot
Thanks amazer2013, that was at Hesarghatta grass lands. Near Nelamangala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
When in the intro posts you mentioned that the Eye Glasses keep falling off you meant - after closing the compartment that it keeps opening on it's own. I presume that after you place the glasses you do close the lid?
Of course
No the lid does not open on its own.
I meant that soon as I open the lid, the glasses tend to fall off because they don't fit well inside.

I am facing a problem in Bluetooth Audio. I usually keep Bluetooth ON in my Windows Phone always. And it kind of works well because the power consumption is less. And I can connect to other Bluetooth devices easily.

However, when I use Sync, it all connects well alright, but when I ask it to play Bluetooth Audio (songs from my phone) it says it is playing but I don't hear anything.

Did spend lot of time trying to find where the problem is, but so far, restarting my phone is the only solution I have found working. I will update more about it once I see what is the real problem.

Some people expressed concern over the Start/Stop button being easily accessible for children for any accidental press when the car is moving. Put those concerns to rest because the car/engine will not stop. That was something among the very first things I verified. But thinking of children, you have to worry about the other plethora of buttons on the dash, which are feast to them.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th August 2013 at 15:32. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
penpavan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 07:21   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

@penpavan, kids should not be in the front seat. Once you have implemented this this safety measure, then you will have much less to think about.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Penpavan !! Glad to see many ownership reviews coming up here. The first batches were delivered fast and the waiting time is going crazy right now. Hoping to TD one very soon

Happy miles ahead !!
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:49   #42
BANNED

Congrats buddy for the Eco Sport with eco boost engine it is on my radar as my new car early next year so would be keenly following this thread.

Ford should also put this engine in the Fiesta IMHO.
Old 25th August 2013, 07:49   #43
BHPian

Thanks shajufx, scarlet.fever!

Three updates:

1. I wanted to highlight a security hazard that is bothering me a lot. (Vidyut has already said this in his review) The doors do not have a lock from inside. You could pull the lever and open the door anytime.

2. I think Ford have worked really hard on making Sync as intelligent as possible. The other day while I was driving the car, my friend was trying to pair a second phone with the Sync. While he was doing that, the Sync advised me that I should pay attention to the road and driving!

3. Every passing day, the brakes are just inspiring more and more confidence. They are really one of the best I have seen in any car.
Old 29th August 2013, 11:14   #44
BHPian

Congratulations and happy motoring.
Eagerly waiting for mine. Even though i booked pre launch it looks like a long wait.
Old 29th August 2013, 12:30   #45
BHPian

Congrats penpavan on the purchase.

The one thing that I see Ford should have taken into their consideration is a cover for the backpack tyre, just like Tata Safari. Not sure of others but a naked tyre at the back is a big turn-off for me. I know, the cover can be demanded after paying a small sum but it should rather have come by default.

Rest all in the beast just looks so perfect

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks